What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yep its covered by Warranty and we got the Passat back on the same day we dropped it off and whoa! The horn is louder than before….. I wonder why….. now the lady is happy so I consider the case closed lol
Well. VW gave me the wrong pn. So the one I ordered was wrong. One YouTube vid later. I fixed mine.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Did your car struggle to get up to temp before you eliminated everything? My gauge doesnt get up to temp and I noticed that when using a scantool, my temp was 20-25 degrees colder than operating temp and never got up to temp even when driving. I'm starting to feel like my thermostat needs replacing. But not sure if its just part of being eliminated.
Yes, even in completely stock form, it was struggling to get up to temp. I monitored the temp in my Polar FIS and through VCDS and the results were the same, low temp. Once the new thermostat was installed, no problems getting up to temp.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Good to know. I know its a bit of a crappy job to do so I just wanted to make sure before I do it that Im getting the same issues.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I noticed it takes longer to warm up wihen deleted but within 15 minutes you should be at full temperature, faster if climbing hills or running at highway speeds.

Highwaylizard

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
About a week ago I changed the air filter and changed out the engine oil.

Dealer claims the oil was changed when the car came in from a private sale. Oil was pitch black and runny like water. I'm guessing the dealer lied - I know . . . SHOCKER!!

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
yep exact same thing happened to our daughter's 13 Jetta TDI, oil filter and oil NEVER was changed. I found the same mann filter in there when her oil was due..... I was beyond livid. fired off a ugly text to service writer and he knew I wasn't mad at him, just at the idiots there who touched the car as the car was there for DPF/EGR issues few months ago.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Pictures don't always tell the whole story but don't be surprised if the next filter you pull looks just like that one.

Highwaylizard

TDI
Looks like a normal TDI filter to me
Yeah, that air filter had lots of life left, and black oil/filters is the norm in the diesel world.

Good to know - thanks. Not having much to go on in terms of previous maintenance history I figured may as well go ahead and do it.

Will be changing out the transmission oil once the suspension is back to stock ride height. Currently it sits so low I cannot get it over the curb and up my driveway.

ryansportwagen

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Dropped the car off to get the timing belt service done (@133k), and oil change, and the N280 valve replaced. It was diagnosed a while ago as being faulty with a slight leak from it. I saw there was a TSB but I was past the warranty, unfortunately. So I opted to just have the system recharged and it lasted two summers. But I may as well get it fixed while it's in for the TB.

The mechanic (CoolAirVW here on the forum) said he'd also try to use VCDS to get my windows to roll up/down with the keyfob. So I don't have to run outside when it rains and I realized I left the windows down. Which seems to happen a lot!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
This is more a question than or what did I do. Does anyone know if 2017 allroad rear springs will fit our jsw? They're the same body it looks like. They just sit a bit higher and are all wheel drive. Thoughts?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
This is more a question than or what did I do. Does anyone know if 2017 allroad rear springs will fit our jsw? They're the same body it looks like. They just sit a bit higher and are all wheel drive. Thoughts?
are you looking to lift your rears a bit only?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
are you looking to lift your rears a bit only?
Yeah, and it's pretty cheap. If the rears are only a bit taller. I have enough adjustment in the front. And if not, they make 2" spacer collers for the front coils.
So I know the all tracks sit slightly higher. Which will be fine in the winter for the rear of my wagon. I just need to know if the coils from an all track would physically fit in a Mk6 jsw

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Speaking of rear coil springs, we had some insurance work done on our right rear wheel area in September due to a (very) low speed bump in our driveway. The body shop found the RR coil spring was broken when they replaced the bent control arm and replaced it with 1K0-511-115-BH (1 white/2 orange marks). Then in October, we had the car over to the dealer for some other work, who found that the left rear spring was broken, too, and quoted $400+ to replace both sides. Since the local dealer generally marks-up their service parts from list price, I got a set of Febi equivalents for 1K0-511-115-BH from FCP and had a local indy shop install them yesterday. Looks like these rear springs tend fail at the lower coil, which sits in the lower wishbone. --g

Last edited:

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My left rear broke at the lower coil and I recently put in a pair of Lesjöfors 4295075. This is listed as a 3C0511115AF equivalent for a Tiguan or B6 Passat wagon and I calculated a spring rate of 162 lb/ in. Vs stock Sportwagen rate of 140. Erwin lists the stock height from hub CL to wheel arch as 380mm and I am now at 400, corresponding to the HD suspension listed in Erwin, so that produced about a 3/4 in lift, almost exactly what I was expecting. The CT springs sold as ‘towing springs’ should provide about an 1.5 in lift with almost the same spring rate as the AF. I still have to add all the data into that other thread and post pics.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, and it's pretty cheap. If the rears are only a bit taller. I have enough adjustment in the front. And if not, they make 2" spacer collers for the front coils.
So I know the all tracks sit slightly higher. Which will be fine in the winter for the rear of my wagon. I just need to know if the coils from an all track would physically fit in a Mk6 jsw
gotcha,

this is what I have. https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-towing-springs-1k0511115ct-4285730-p-5084.html

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The rear of mine tires are about level with the arch. It's too low. Hopefully the other springs will be here next week. But I'm buying a house(Dec 30 close), and have to be out of my apt end of this month. So live out of my car for a month. Going into winter here.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
ohh! congrats on the purchase! it's a great feeling. :) I got my house in 2014 after 10 years and 10 times moving, that hit my final nerve.

keep us posted on your springs next week. :)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
wow!!!!! good price!
Yeah it was.

Oh I've been in contact with ECS tuning quite a few times about my rear lowering springs not being up to par. They basically told me well one of our people have it installed on their vehicle and they haven't had any issues with it. When I try to explain to them that hey I drive 40 to 60,000 miles a year. And generally Hall 500 lb of tools in the back. So I constantly have the car loaded to around maximum internal capacity. So they're not even thinking of exchanging the springs for a new set so they can test the old ones. Not only that but the trucks are starting to get squeaky. After about 20,000 miles. I've had to readjust my headlights down at least four times cuz they're aiming in the sky. Rear tires are wearing on the inside so I had it realigned and now it's misaligned again.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Swapped over to my winter wheels and undercoated with Fluid Film. Pulled off the wheel well liners, scrubbed everything down with a pressure washer, foam cannon and brush, dried as best i could then coated with fluid film, hit all the access ports etc...

Highwaylizard

TDI
Talked to the shop where my JSW is awaiting the timing belt/water/pump/thermostat and suspension restoration. Asked them to look into the glow plugs and do the fuel filter as well. Shop is crazy busy/backed up but hoping to have the car back by the end of the year.

Hey - a man can dream.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
What improved on your oil analysis when you tuned the car? What tune did you go with? I am looking at them for my Jetta.
Sorry I missed this one.

I'll have to go to the pc and look over the pdf file. As I recall there was fuel noted in the oil where there isn't now. The biggest improvement is very short regens, no change in dutation between active regens. Mileage and power didnt seem improved, but after talking to Kerma and stating it "seems" an update may bring my tune to most other claims of apx 10% mpg and noticeable hp increase.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Drove 60 miles to work in the bad snow storm. Made it to town just fine, only to hit a 2-ft hard plowburm that apply left going across the highway. Immediately lost boost, I got a low coolant. So I'm hoping it just tore the rubber line instead of broke the intercooler and radiator, but being everything is plastic. I just hope they don't total it. Because I'll have to buy it back and fix it again.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Body shop believes insurance will likely total it again. Idk.ill buy it back again. And fix it again.
What you guys think it's worth? 2012 jsw TDI dsg Pano.187k. I have 17" stock rims. It's stage 4, potholed, and cp3 converted. Mechanically it's always been taken care of. From what I see. Stock they are worth 7-9 still.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep it. Intercooler and such are easily replaced. I have taken my intercooler out twice. Its pretty easy as long as you know what you are doing.

You can find intercooler and other parts at junkyards online.

front bumper is another story…. Tons of them got wrecked lately from darned dumb ass deers out there LOL… I am one of them from flying object on the highway.