What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

naughtysheep

TDI
2012 Golf
I replaced the headliner in my TDI (4 door 2012 Golf) without breaking anything 🤣. The headliner looks as good as new. I may even try relining my old headliner myself.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I replaced the headliner in my TDI (4 door 2012 Golf) without breaking anything 🤣. The headliner looks as good as new. I may even try relining my old headliner myself.
Use adhesive thats sprayed with a gun... not the canned stuff. The results are far better and kits are affordable

naughtysheep

TDI
2012 Golf
Use adhesive thats sprayed with a gun... not the canned stuff. The results are far better and kits are affordable
I’ve heard that and there are some YouTube videos showing how to do it. It’s getting colder in my area, so it may be a project that waits until spring.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Not even sure if it counts as a mk6, but did the 20K service in mom's 2014 New Beetle convertible two days ago. Fuel filter, oil change, and of course, the air filter still looks brand new. Still amazing it's an 8 year old car (CPO TDI) with a hair under 20K miles.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Just did the timing belt & wp @ 86k due to age. The car is not used alot so it just had its 3rd (7k) oil service. This will be the 3rd Blackstone oil report so i hope to see the numbers even better than the 2nd, which the non delete tune helped dramatically with. Also got the fuel filter and brake fluid system flushed. The coolant temps and ph levels were perfect before bringing it in so I didn't feel the need to super flush, just minimal water pump r & r top off.

Did get the tow light wire harness finally on.

calimustang What are your comments on this? Are you running different sway bars?

6 Passat aluminum control arms with Audi S3 bushing kit.

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
That (insert foul language here) thermostat! I've lost the stubby M8 socket behind the alternator mount and ordered the wrong EGR gaskets though so it looks like I'll be finishing up Monday.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Returned from road trip. 2046 uneventful miles. Country roads going down, interstate returning. My 2014 JSW with CJAA was not even breathing hard. Average for entire trip was 43.6mpg (indicated). What a great little car!

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Just did the timing belt & wp @ 86k due to age. The car is not used alot so it just had its 3rd (7k) oil service. This will be the 3rd Blackstone oil report so i hope to see the numbers even better than the 2nd, which the non delete tune helped dramatically with. Also got the fuel filter and brake fluid system flushed.
What improved on your oil analysis when you tuned the car? What tune did you go with? I am looking at them for my Jetta.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
I just replaced the DMF on my Jetta this week. What a fun little project :D
Actually, trans R&R on this one was easier than my 01 Beetle. That car takes the cake for smallest engine bay, ever.
That, and the DSG has a handy lifting mount on top that allows you to pick it from above and it balances perfectly. Hanging it like this vs grabbing it with a trans jack allows makes it much more maneuverable.

Last edited:

ryansportwagen

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Ordered an OBD dongle so I can use VAGDPF to determine the ash load and get an idea of its remaining life. It was replaced at 107k miles; I'm at 133k.
Timing belt/water pump service is past due so I'm getting quotes on that and plan on having done asap.

Jr mason

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle, 2012 Jetta
Ordered an OBD dongle so I can use VAGDPF to determine the ash load and get an idea of its remaining life. It was replaced at 107k miles; I'm at 133k.
Timing belt/water pump service is past due so I'm getting quotes on that and plan on having done asap.
What did you get?

I've got an OBD MX+ that I use for Alpha OBD. It's one of the more capable dongles on the market but does not work with VAGDPF.

ryansportwagen

TDI
Aaaaand.. VAGDPF doesn't work with my CJAA. I knew my engine wasn't listed but I was hopeful it would work with one of the selected engine groups. Tried them all a few times, no joy :(
Dang it

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
just installed Sparco Terra rims as my 1 of 4 16" steelie got bent.

wow! she drives a lot better with new set and improved fuel economy.

will post after few tanks.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I replaced my thermostat, eliminated the EGR valve and EGR cooler, installed a DP and mid-pipe and eliminated a whole bunch of weight from those parts. Vehicle used to struggle to get upwards of 160 degrees, now its at a steady 200-205 while motoring down the road. Just waiting on my final tune with some revisions to hopefully fix some small bugs that have popped up. So much better to have simplicity when it comes to these vehicles.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well, my clockspring just broke. Heard a weird tick then turning the wheel. Then when bringing back to center the same tick, then my airbag light came on. Codes, lost com with steering wheel module and airbag igniter resistance too high.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my clockspring just broke. Heard a weird tick then turning the wheel. Then when bringing back to center the same tick, then my airbag light came on. Codes, lost com with steering wheel module and airbag igniter resistance too high.
yep exact same thing happened with my 2015 Passat last Jan 2022 and finally got the freaking clock spring part last week and will install it this weekend by the Stealership.... ugh!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yep exact same thing happened with my 2015 Passat last Jan 2022 and finally got the freaking clock spring part last week and will install it this weekend by the Stealership.... ugh!
Already bought one and it's shipped. Lol. Just a pita. Easy to replace though.

naughtysheep

TDI
2012 Golf
Crossed another little item off the list. Had water seeping into the hatch/spare tire well. Not much, but enough to be annoying.
I found a 2012 GTI in a local salvage yard with a perfect hatch weather strip. Bought it for $4. Purchased a tube of 3M weather strip sealant and went to work. Removed the strip on the car and cleaned up what looked like silicone underneath. Flaked right off with my fingernail. Degreased and prepped both the car and the new strip and put it place. Fingers crossed that this takes care of the issue. The weather strip I removed is also in very good shape. I’ll clean it up and hold onto it for now. I think the silicone was the problem.
I’m glad I found the strip in the junkyard - a new one is $200 😲. No thanks!

ryansportwagen

TDI
I flashed Malone dynamic egr. No other tunes/mods. I noticed two things that I had read about and was looking for so it may be confirmation bias, but I guess they make sense: The throttle response is a tiny bit faster in D, and the exhaust smell is a little stronger when idling after it's warmed up. But I'm sure nowhere near what it'd be with a full delete.

A 37 mile test drive circuit (off-road, of course) gave me 49.5 mpg. That is I believe without a regen happening, though, and I think I had a tail wind for part of it. But before the tune I would have expected to see around 40. According to the computer. 42 tops on long trips.

I will take it on a 400-mile test circuit next week, starting and ending at the same pump, and will calculate the mpg. Not expecting 49 mpg, though, but hoping for higher than usual/stock.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Already bought one and it's shipped. Lol. Just a pita. Easy to replace though.
yep its covered by Warranty and we got the Passat back on the same day we dropped it off and whoa! The horn is louder than before….. I wonder why….. now the lady is happy so I consider the case closed lol

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well called VW with my vin. They still have me the incorrect pn. Clock spring I have is 5ko953569e and not al..... Ahhh! Well I have a coding error now and I can't swipe through the mfd, only up and down ... But I could get a heated Tiguan wheel. 😂. Ugh.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I replaced my thermostat, eliminated the EGR valve and EGR cooler, installed a DP and mid-pipe and eliminated a whole bunch of weight from those parts. Vehicle used to struggle to get upwards of 160 degrees, now its at a steady 200-205 while motoring down the road. Just waiting on my final tune with some revisions to hopefully fix some small bugs that have popped up. So much better to have simplicity when it comes to these vehicles.
Did your car struggle to get up to temp before you eliminated everything? My gauge doesnt get up to temp and I noticed that when using a scantool, my temp was 20-25 degrees colder than operating temp and never got up to temp even when driving. I'm starting to feel like my thermostat needs replacing. But not sure if its just part of being eliminated.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
@MrCypherr : Thermostats can fail over time -- ours started to act up in the past few months at 174K miles & became noticeable with the arrival of fall & cooler ambient temperatures. Had it replaced last month (along with some other work at the local dealer, ouch) with 03L121111AM, now all is well again. --g

Last edited: