What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
hmm! Xman makes very good stout turbos. I have his 52mm billet impeller CR170 turbo. 120k miles on the turbo, impeller looks new and no shaft play at all. I will contact darkside for the injectors as one of them is leaking as my car starts up with white puff of smoke for a while now.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
hmm! Xman makes very good stout turbos. I have his 52mm billet impeller CR170 turbo. 120k miles on the turbo, impeller looks new and no shaft play at all. I will contact darkside for the injectors as one of them is leaking as my car starts up with white puff of smoke for a while now.
Yeah. I shoulda got a bigger turbo. I have fueling for another 60hp. Just max out at 45psi absolute.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today... installed my new Q revision RNS-510 into the 2013 JSW, and mom got my old D revision RNS-510 in her 2014 Beetle TDI.

Old:

New:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Injectors from darkside, and turbo from Malone. Wish I would have gotten the turbo from darkside. Coulda run more boost.
Now if only the person who's doing my ALH tunes did common rail tunes. I have a Malone Stage 3 on my car, but I feel like customer service has gone downhill, and I wasn't really looking to spend $2200 for a K-Tag slave tool to reflash three cars.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Now if only the person who's doing my ALH tunes did common rail tunes. I have a Malone Stage 3 on my car, but I feel like customer service has gone downhill, and I wasn't really looking to spend $2200 for a K-Tag slave tool to reflash three cars.
Well, otherwise it's 200 for the flaxh tool from the tuner. For each one. All the mk6. The vin is written to it. So it's one car only.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, otherwise it's 200 for the flaxh tool from the tuner. For each one. All the mk6. The vin is written to it. So it's one car only.
To the flash tool yes, but not to the tune itself, which is merely a bunch of values that are obviously different than stock.

I was told I needed the Kess, because I needed to retune mom's mk7 as well. Who knows. But I wasn't really looking to spend $600 for 3 tools to tune 3 cars.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
To the flash tool yes, but not to the tune itself, which is merely a bunch of values that are obviously different than stock.

I was told I needed the Kess, because I needed to retune mom's mk7 as well. Who knows. But I wasn't really looking to spend $600 for 3 tools to tune 3 cars.
Can also use ktag to tune the trans. And sell it after.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd probably opt for the Chinese version, as I don't have $2200 to spend on a k-tag, let alone a slave version that's only tied to Malone.
best to find a malone tuner nearby..... looked it up on their website of Malone,

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

MK7? no way. I spoke to Malone tuning a while ago, they said DSG tuning is done by OBD2 port for 2015 TDI's that would apply to MK7's and my B7 Passat. for 2009-14's has to be done by KESSY.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
did the oil change at 145k miles and took a sample of oil to send to Blackstone Lab. my first time. am seeing some serious oil leaks somewhere. I am suspecting turbo seal is going. will be taking whole darkside intercooler out and put a new Audi S3 intercooler with oem hard pipes in. (long story)

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
did the oil change at 145k miles and took a sample of oil to send to Blackstone Lab. my first time. am seeing some serious oil leaks somewhere. I am suspecting turbo seal is going. will be taking whole darkside intercooler out and put a new Audi S3 intercooler with oem hard pipes in. (long story)
How do you like the suspension?

I am currently installing new suspension on my car. I got some B6 Passat knuckles and lower control arms from the junkyard and Cerakoted them. Installed them with new Bilstein B4s, TTS/TTRS bushings and upper mounts. The rear end is getting B4s and a full Superpro bushing kit.

I like the concept of the tunnel brace and may get one someday.

When I put my car down for the suspension work I noticed lots of oil film on the front of the engine and in the belly pan that wasn't there 10-15k ago. Fairly certain the majority came from leaking hoses on the charge pipe on the right side, with minor leaks coming from the left side pipe. I have considered going with a S3 intercooler to eliminate the crappy hoses, but cannot seem to find reliable info regarding suitable aftermarket coolers and hoses. Seems there is lots of conflicting information on what works well, and what doesn't.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Got car back from Dealer after DPF replacement (warranty), timing belt service (not cheap) and four wheel alignment. Also had them eliminate the automatic door lock function.

As a retired street Medic, I think the auto door lock feature is unsafe. It delays rescue if needed by requiring the use of pneumatic tools to gain access.

This has been a great vehicle so far. I have not spent anything on it for the two years I've owned it except for routine maintenance that I can do myself. This justifies spending some money on it in my mind.

I also want to say that my dealer, Safford VW in Fredericksburg Virginia is superb. No bargains but they are skilled, reliable, fast and fair. That's all I can ask.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
So......... just had my JSW updated with a ton new parts.

Bilstein HD shocks/struts

B6 Passat aluminum control arms with Audi S3 bushing kit.
I’m also interested in your experience with this setup. It’s almost exactly what I have, but I also have Al Passat spindles plus the Passat rear bar and 2wd tiggy rear springs.
I thought the Al control arms/spindles improved the compliance over sharp bumps, expansion joints etc. and the rear bar dramatically improved cornering stance, much less roll. An issue I have is sensitivity to longitudinal ruts usually caused by insufficient road base prep or overloaded trucks. Makes the car feel quite unstable. I’m hoping it’s just an alignment issue. Do you have anything similar?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
As a retired street Medic, I think the auto door lock feature is unsafe. It delays rescue if needed by requiring the use of pneumatic tools to gain access.
....everything is unlocked in the event of a crash and said tools are hydraulic

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Replaced the starter with one purchased from IDParts.

After I removed the old part and was getting ready to install the replacement I determined the incorrect part was received (auto vs manual). A quick call had the correct part on the way and will receive a full refund on the original even though it was almost certainly my mistake

As almost everyone who has dealt with Peter/IDParts has found, they are top notch folks to work with.

Mucho kudos to Peter and IDParts in general!

Thanks again, guys!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
....everything is unlocked in the event of a crash and said tools are hydraulic
It also helps with ejection, or a door poping open in a rollover. I would believe anyway. Wonder what the reason ning behind it is... *Googles* holy conflicting information. So to help minimize the ease of carjackers is what I'm seeing. Both safer and more unsafe. 🤷

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Easy but it can be fiddley if you lose the "installation position" like I did. In that case it takes some patient probing around with a small screwdriver to retrieve the latching pin. You will also have to replace the boot clamp. I used a small worm clamp.

I'll call it a one-beer job.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Replaced my DSG....twice. Bought a used one that had a second gear problem (Mechatronics I assume), then had to R&R again with another. That solved the problem, but what a PITA to have to do it twice.