CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Ah not bad. Never really seen a AUX pump fail anyways. Guess its not the worse thing to keep on.
Actually….. they do fail painful slowly. They leak until….. as my step daughter’s Jetta tdi is leaking and cranking. Need to replace it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I do NOT want the Aux pump! They keep the Messy hoses and junk. Less room for my hands to navigate.

I dont care about the availability because the Cp3 are seriously robust.

I will do cp3 swap on her car soon and Aux pump gets ejected, period!

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Yeah, you do have to leave the aux on. The thing I like about the bmw kit is the availability of brand new pumps at every major parts store
yeah, im looking at them right now... quite nice.

if my whitbread pump is a dud, i might jump ship to a r90 bmw cp3 pump with the fisher mounting kit. maybe i can make do with the whitbread mounting hardware?

regardless, ill keep my aux pump picking around the garage in some bin until i know the whitbread CP3 is good / reliable

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I do NOT want the Aux pump! They keep the Messy hoses and junk. Less room for my hands to navigate.

I dont care about the availability because the Cp3 are seriously robust.

I will do cp3 swap on her car soon and Aux pump gets ejected, period!
Oh im for sure getting rid of my aux pump. One less thing to worry about failing. Especially since I take this thing on many far road trips

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
thats true, i didnt think about the aux pumps failing... the pumps with built in low pressure pumps seem to be pretty available too. just lookup duramax or cummins CP3's. the cummin's ones look more unique to cummins, but the duramax ones appear to look like the ones provided in the VW kits

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Just pulled the codes from my 2011:

Code:
Address 01: Engine (CJA)       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 997 030 B    HW: 03L 906 019 DA
   Component: R4 2.0l TDI G000AG  9983
   Revision: 12H07---    Serial number:             
   Coding: 0050078
   Shop #: WSC 23116 035 00000
   VCID: 2D07191D7110E9A2B45-8078
   VINID: 0E69E070745AA12746005044141AA5A682

1 Fault Found:
000022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
               P0016 - 000 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 8
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 244351 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.06.04
                    Time: 12:35:39

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1058 /min
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Voltage: 11.86 V
                    Temperature: 73.8 C
                    Idle Stabilization: -2.7 KW
                    RPM: 524 /min
                    (no units): 33.0

Readiness: 0 0 0 X X
Part number is: 03C906433E
Your cam timing is off. I had the same issue when I finished mine had to adjust timing. If you cannot get your cam pin in at TDC you will need to adjust.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
If you just installed the CP3 I think the cam and crank ended up far enough out of time it's throwing an error. Or the cam sprocket slipped in the slots if it was fine for a while. Check the physical timing, and confirm the crank Sensor wiring wasn't damaged somehow during the install
Your cam timing is off. I had the same issue when I finished mine had to adjust timing. If you cannot get your cam pin in at TDC you will need to adjust.
Thanks guys - install went well, so it left the garage in time at least haha

Do you have any resources you can point me to for adjusting timing without pulling everything? Or can I loosen the bolts on the cam sprocket and adjust?

Thanks!

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Thanks guys - install went well, so it left the garage in time at least haha

Do you have any resources you can point me to for adjusting timing without pulling everything? Or can I loosen the bolts on the cam sprocket and adjust?

Thanks!
Unfortunately you have to pull it apart again make sure you can get your cam pin in at TDC after two crank rotations. I was close but it has to be dead on.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
What prompted you to pull the codes? Did you get a CEL first, then pull the codes or was the car just not running properly? I finished up my Timing Belt Service about two weeks. Car is running fine, no CEL. But I haven't checked for any codes.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
So, at 116000 miles I installed one of the BMW CP3 Fisher Motor Works kits onto my 2013 Jetta sedan about 4000 miles ago. The only issue that I ran into was that the new hub they supply is not tapered to center the gear onto it like the old one from the cp4. It was sort of a pain in that regard. Other than that, now I have some peace of mind.
So what did you do to address the issue?

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
What prompted you to pull the codes? Did you get a CEL first, then pull the codes or was the car just not running properly? I finished up my Timing Belt Service about two weeks. Car is running fine, no CEL. But I haven't checked for any codes.
If you're asking me - it's the wife's daily, it was having issues starting when warm; still unsure what the issue is, but I swapped her vehicles and I'll dig in when I have time.

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
spoke to 2micron, he said why not? as long as I am in the warm climate (Florida). good to go. I'm unsure where you are residing in, @Timma100
@calimustang @Timma100 Could you share why warm climate only? I like less lines but I'm cold climate.

edit: just realized some context is missing, this relates to capping off 2 of the 4 lines coming from the fuel filter.

Last edited:

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Or can I loosen the bolts on the cam sprocket and adjust
You can adjust it like the torsion value on a PD TDI, but only within the window allowed by the slots in the cam sproket. With the car running and warm check vcds measuring block 051, idle stabilization value, and see if it gives you a number that charges slightly with revving the motor.

I was suggesting a quick check that the sprocket didn't slip to one extreme of its adjustment range, and maybe also confirm the timing mark on the harmonic balancer still lines up with the cam timing pin in.

Could also be an electrical gremlin, so keep an eye for any damage to the cam and crank sensor wiring.

Kaziff

TDI
2.0 TDI - GTD 170HP - CFGB
Add my name to the list of CP3 pumps conversions.

Finally finished up the Timing Belt, T-Stat, CP3 and CR170 Turbocharger installation. I am embarrassed to admit to how long this project took me.

Some highlights in no particular order:
1. Putting the car in Service Position was very helpful and allowed ample working access for the front of the engine.
2. No need to remove the Oil Filter housing to install the T'Stat. Just make sure you have a small / short 1/4" set of square drives.
3. Removal of the passenger side axle makes it much easier to remove / install the Turbocharger.
4. No need to remove the engine mount when performing the Timing Belt service. With the fuel pump deleted, there is plenty of room to work. The Diesel Geek video is extremely helpful.
5. Test fit the engine oil dipstick tube and apply heat to make a slight bent to clear the CP3 high pressure fuel line fitting. Then use a 3/8" spacer to reinstall to the side of the flapper valve.
6. Reuse parts of the deleted auxiliary fuel pump frame to secure the fuel lines. I didn't take any pictures, but I modified the frame to remove unnecessary metal tabs, so all that remain are the two plastic fuel line supports.
7. Trim the engine cover so that it does not rub on any fuel lines
8. Allow plenty of time to do this project, I ran into challenges with the CP3 installation that took time to solve.

Some pictures below of the finished install:

You kept the CCV system to the turbo entrance?

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I kept the CCV system, but deleted the CCV Heater. The CR170 Turbo intake does not provide for the CCV Heater to remain. Does that answer your question?

Kaziff

TDI
I kept the CCV system, but deleted the CCV Heater. The CR170 Turbo intake does not provide for the CCV Heater to remain. Does that answer your question?
I have a Golf 6 GTD "CR170" and idk what to do with the CCV system, that heater does what and whats the benefit off removing it?
I have a GTB2265vkr

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
I have a Golf 6 GTD "CR170" and idk what to do with the CCV system, that heater does what and whats the benefit off removing it?
I have a GTB2265vkr
You can use a catchcan if you want. I cannibalized the old system and jb welded the setup to work (CR140 -> CR170)

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a GTB2265vkr
So I am not saying there is any benefit to removing the CCV Heater, I am just saying that the CR170 turbo inlet manifold, that I used for the conversion from a CR140 to a CR170 turbo, does not provide for keeping the CCV heater.

I have attached a picture. The stock CR140 inlet manifold is on the left with the CCV Heater still connected. The new CR170 inlet manifold is on the right. Notice that it has a longer connecting tub that removed the CCV Heater from the system. Makes sense?

rhill2901

TDI
2014 VW Jetta
Figured I'd start a thread so we can track all the CP3's that are being installed on our CR TDI's now. We can keep a running list of members in this first post, and the thread can be devoted to talk about anything CP3 related.

Here are the current members with the CP3 pump installed and running:
1. 2Micron
2. YukonLT
3. Paulinski
4. schreibers
5. UberVW_TDI
6. camboscams
7. turbobrick240
8. road hog
9. DieselDubs83
10. 2010JSWDSG
11. edgewatertom
12. TDIA3
13. WalkingDrunken
14. Pitboy
15. dieselherb1
16. UFO (under fueled oiler)
17. Wingdinger
18. Canary5.0
19. Buckwild90
20. xjay1337
21. mpriolo
22. 1972SS454
23. freyguy
24. Cptcrnch
25. Rhino1829
26. ksing44
27. McGuirk
28. np9131
29. skycrane
30. calimustang
31. JiveTurkey
32. voilsb
33. adjat84th
34. NIN846
35. pkhoury
36. lovehandles18
37. JordanLee
38. Mitternacht
39. 97B4TDi
40. Omacrontron

Anyone that installs the CP3, post up so we can add to the list and hear about your upgrade!

Here are a couple links to the birth of this upgrade:
Andrew's initial testing and fitment
YukonLT's install and impressions

Looking forward to seeing more of these on the road!

I"ve upgraded my cp4 pump with a cp3, best investment I ever made. The best part i like about it is the fact it DOES NOT need to be timed with the engine. The insurance policy of it being more reliable is also a bonus. If you are on the fence to get this mod done, don't. Your cp4 pump will fail. 2 years and still running strong.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Your cp4 pump will fail
in the same sense your CP3 will also eventually fail...

the major difference is the CP3 has a better failure mode than a CP4. i have 234k miles on my original, yes original, cp4 without issue's.

however, i will be swapping it with a cp3 on my next timing belt interval as i believe i've gotten my money's worth out of it.

if you have a CP4 with like 30k miles, i wouldnt worry about it. just do the fuel filter service on time, and PROPERLY (this means bleed with VCDS or similar tools. not the stupid fill and pray method.) and the CP4 will serve you well.

Kaziff

TDI
@Garrison cc, while the darkside one will work, it is too expensive!!! buy the OEM one, here is the PN :) you're welcome.

03N906054
2700 BAR Common Rail Fuel Pressure Sensor

(edit: it looks like the darkside one comes with a washer..... i dont find that worth $150, so, any copper crush washer of the right size will work. hit up your local park rose, true value, home depot, etc. you should be able to source a copper crush / sealing washer for pennies..)
I found this, is it the same?

rhill2901

TDI
2014 VW Jetta
in the same sense your CP3 will also eventually fail...

the major difference is the CP3 has a better failure mode than a CP4. i have 234k miles on my original, yes original, cp4 without issue's.

however, i will be swapping it with a cp3 on my next timing belt interval as i believe i've gotten my money's worth out of it.

if you have a CP4 with like 30k miles, i wouldnt worry about it. just do the fuel filter service on time, and PROPERLY (this means bleed with VCDS or similar tools. not the stupid fill and pray method.) and the CP4 will serve you well.
some are luckier than others. I’ve also seen posts from members saying their cp4 died after end of warranty….

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
some are luckier than others. I’ve also seen posts from members saying their cp4 died after end of warranty….
i have seen this too, but i've often found those people did not do service to a T. they would "skip" a fuel filter service, even if only by 10k miles!

i have done ALL of my maintenance either on time or early, and the results speak for themselves. obviously i have some survivorship bias here but my mom 2011 jetta sportwagen TDI is doing just fine too. i did the engine oil and fuel filter when i went to visit last month. almost 100k miles on it, also no issues

theyre due for a timing belt by age now.. hopefully they do it before it's too late.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, I was told by idparts in around 2020-2021 that contitech now recommends 7 years intervals or 130k miles and my belt is approaching 130k miles and 4 years old, belt was done at 70k miles on this 2014 JSW to play it safe as she was former buyback car that sat 2 years and age and all the factors adds on.
She just clocked 185k miles with stage 3 Malone tune. The stress and all, better to do it asap.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Yep, I was told by idparts in around 2020-2021 that contitech now recommends 7 years intervals or 130k miles and my belt is approaching 130k miles and 4 years old, belt was done at 70k miles on this 2014 JSW to play it safe as she was former buyback car that sat 2 years and age and all the factors adds on.
She just clocked 185k miles with stage 3 Malone tune. The stress and all, better to do it asap.
yeah, i did my original belt at 119k miles, but it was 8ish years old then. maybe 7. i figure i'd do it "early" just in case, but currently i am on track to do my second belt at 130k interval. so 250k miles.

thinking about doing the thermostat and alternator while im in there..... the CP4 will be coming off in favor for a CP3 at the same time. ill be putting a new valve cover gasket on, and using new injector seals as i am also putting ARP headstuds in.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just realized the CP3 pump installation on my car does not appear to have the temperature sensor. I only realized it when considering removing the secondary filter with the OEM fuel line from the fuel filter to the CP3 pump. It's been like that for over 60K miles with no issues. I included a photo below. I guess I don't need it, but why? Does anyone know?

Edit: Actually, 2-micron's original also doesn't appear to have the OEM Temp Sensor. It looks like mine.

From installation Instructions - Is that metal piece a replacement for the parts on the OEM Fuel Line? Mine has something inserted there with wires that appear to be the sensor. I also saw this just now. "The Feed is the dual temperature / hose barb adapter." So it's a fabricated part, but it's missing that larger black portion from the OEM Fuel line pictured below. What is that black kind of square thing on the OEM Fuel Line?

OEM Fuel Line with Temp Sensor - 5N0130307J

Last edited: