CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
how recently has he been forgotting to include it?
now im going to go check my CP3 kit in the garage.... lol
if im missing it, maybe he will send one to me, though i bought that pump like 2 or 3 years ago now.
I bought mine back in May so maybe it’s been isolated to this spring/summer. I would definitely check your kit, it sure sucks being in the middle of a project and missing a part especially being that’s all I need to finish the car. The good thing is Matt has been super helpful taking my calls and he is in the neighboring state. Hoping to have it today.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I bought mine back in May so maybe it’s been isolated to this spring/summer. I would definitely check your kit, it sure sucks being in the middle of a project and missing a part especially being that’s all I need to finish the car. The good thing is Matt has been super helpful taking my calls and he is in the neighboring state. Hoping to have it today.
just ran out and checked, i have it!!

how long did it take you to do the install? im planning on doing my install when i do my timing belt at 250k miles

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW

how long did it take you to do the install? im planning on doing my install when i do my timing belt at 250k miles
Depending on your mechanical aptitude - the hardest part for me was the TB Gear and bending the fuel lines. Otherwise, it's extremely easy - just make sure you get the lines routed correctly

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp

I started with putting the car in service position to do the Tstat and access the EGR bits so my times will be a bit different. I’d say just the CP3 and belt can be done comfortably around 4~5 hours. The turbo and EGR on the other hand took me Around 8 hours. On day 3 I deleted the aux pump and cleaned up the fuel lines and put the front end back on the car and buttoned everything up under the hood. All in I have about 3 days invested in this entire swap which I planned for. My fitting showed up yesterday so I will install that today and try to start the car.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
spoke to 2micron, he said why not? as long as I am in the warm climate (Florida). good to go. I'm unsure where you are residing in, @Timma100
why would being in warm or cold climate have an effect on this filtering setup?

im planning on keeping my OEM fuel filter when i go CP3. i like what timma has done, so ill either do that or keep all 4 hoses in use like the OE design did.

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Well it runs and drives. Took me quite awhile to work through some faults. For some reason the 2200 bar rail sensor was showing a G247 fault short to plus, ended up putting my stock rail sensor in with no further issues. My metering valve plug which was broken when I got the pump didn’t hold up to bumping and it broke off completely going to try gluing it again.

Kaziff

TDI
2.0 TDI - GTD 170HP - CFGB
I have stock sensor rail pressure and already upgraded to CP3 & Golf 7 GTD injectors, where can I find 2700 rail sensor?

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
I have stock sensor rail pressure and already upgraded to CP3 & Golf 7 GTD injectors, where can I find 2700 rail sensor?
@Garrison cc, while the darkside one will work, it is too expensive!!! buy the OEM one, here is the PN :) you're welcome.

03N906054
2700 BAR Common Rail Fuel Pressure Sensor

(edit: it looks like the darkside one comes with a washer..... i dont find that worth $150, so, any copper crush washer of the right size will work. hit up your local park rose, true value, home depot, etc. you should be able to source a copper crush / sealing washer for pennies..)

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I am thinking about doing the 2200bar sensor. I was wondering do I need to adapt it in vcds?
Sadly, no. you will need Malone tune as I just had it done 2 days agio. before tune, CEL was thrown instantly as I turned the car without starting. it will be on limp mode if you install it without tune and being limp mode is dangerous with a ton impatient drivers on roads nowadays.

after I got her tuned for 2200 bar sensor and 4 bar map sensor, holy cow! she drives an totally different animal.

Timben79

TDI
2012 jetta tdi
Sadly, no. you will need Malone tune as I just had it done 2 days agio. before tune, CEL was thrown instantly as I turned the car without starting. it will be on limp mode if you install it without tune and being limp mode is dangerous with a ton impatient drivers on roads nowadays.

after I got her tuned for 2200 bar sensor and 4 bar map sensor, holy cow! she drives an totally different animal.
Ok. Thank you. I am tuned by darkside. I will ask if they can tune for the 2200 or only theirs. I would by theirs but it’s pretty expensive plus shipping and duty fees when it gets to the US.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Installation Problems - Banjo Fittings Not Aligning Properly (Whitbread CP3 Kit)

In the process of changing the Thermostat, installing the CR170 Turbocharger, doing the Timing Belt Service and the CP3 Fuel Pump Upgrade. All going well, thermostat an turbocharger complete, timing belt removed, the CP4 removed, the CP3 is mounted, the high pressure fuel line reshaped and connected, and now ready to connect two remaining lines to the pump, this is where the problems developed.

Return Line - the banjo fitting needs to mount at an angle to clear the pump housing. This is causing the elbow hose to not like up with the banjo barb. See picture below

Temp Sensor / Fuel Feed Line - location of the port on the pump is not like other pictures online that I have reviewed. The port for the banjo fitting is located in the back of the pump instead of the side. And the port is much higher than other pumps online causing interference with the engine cover (ie the engine cover will not mount on that corner). See picture below

It just seems this pump is an odd duck . It does not match any of the pictures or tutorials available online.

I have sent an email to Matt Whitbread, but due to the holidays I am not expecting a reply anytime soon. I am also reluctant to start re-engineering the installation before I hear back from Matt. So thought I would check in with the TDi Forum to see if anyone has any suggestions or has encountered this situation during their install. Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mike
Just following up with this post. I spoke with Matt after the holidays. He just said that unfortunately, not all of the CP3 pumps are the same externally and that my options were 1.) to grind down the ridge on the pump housing, 2.) mount the barb sideways and use some extra fuel line to make the connections or 3.) source a longer banjo bolts with a spacer. Mounting the barb sideways was not a good an option because it interfered with the engine cover. And hunting on-line for banjo bolts of the proper length and spacer was like looking for a needle in a haystack. So I opted for grinding down the ridge. Precision grinding of cast iron in a tight location was difficult and time consuming.

Another problem with using this particular pump, is that the part of the pump where the metering valve mounts, is higher than other pumps, so it interferes with the engine hook quite a bit more than other pumps. It is advertised that a little grinding is necessary to make the hook fit. But I had to cut / remove a lot of material and then grind / shape to the point that this hook may not be safe to use as lifting point anymore. The only reason I elected to reinstall it, is because it is also used as the lower left corner mount for the engine cover.

My thoughts are that Matt should receive these pumps directly, inspect and then provide the proper hardware or make any necessary modification to the the pumps before sending them out to customers. So the kit is more complete, rather than generic and let the customer solve these issues. Overall, I would give this kit a C-.

I have included some pics below:

Last edited:

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Add my name to the list of CP3 pumps conversions.

Finally finished up the Timing Belt, T-Stat, CP3 and CR170 Turbocharger installation. I am embarrassed to admit to how long this project took me.

Some highlights in no particular order:
1. Putting the car in Service Position was very helpful and allowed ample working access for the front of the engine.
2. No need to remove the Oil Filter housing to install the T'Stat. Just make sure you have a small / short 1/4" set of square drives.
3. Removal of the passenger side axle makes it much easier to remove / install the Turbocharger.
4. No need to remove the engine mount when performing the Timing Belt service. With the aux fuel pump deleted, there is plenty of room to work. The Diesel Geek video is extremely helpful.
5. Test fit the engine oil dipstick tube and apply heat to make a slight bent to clear the CP3 high pressure fuel line fitting. Then use a 3/8" spacer to reinstall to the side of the flapper valve.
6. Reuse parts of the deleted auxiliary fuel pump frame to secure the fuel lines. I didn't take any pictures, but I modified the frame to remove unnecessary metal tabs, so all that remain are the two plastic fuel line supports.
7. Trim the engine cover so that it does not rub on any fuel lines
8. Allow plenty of time to do this project, I ran into challenges with the CP3 installation that took time to solve.

Some pictures below of the finished install:

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
wow nicely done! glad you got that sorted out with the fuel line on the top of the CP3.

nice creativity with the washers on the engine cover mounts. I tossed all engine covers of the 3 TDI fleet and removed the engine mounting Bracket off my JSW for cleaner look.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
wow nicely done! glad you got that sorted out with the fuel line on the top of the CP3.

nice creativity with the washers on the engine cover mounts. I tossed all engine covers of the 3 TDI fleet and removed the engine mounting Bracket off my JSW for cleaner look.
Good eye, I needed just a bit more height for the cover. You may have also noticed that I removed the metal high pressure fuel line attachment point from the engine cover mount. Since it interfered with the metal fuel line.

I thought about ditching the cover, but I decided to try to keep a stock look if possible.

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I got rid of the engine cover cause i noticed it was rubbing against too many lines and didnt want to risk causing any issues. You just hear the engine more is all, which is never a bad thing. :)

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Good eye, I needed just a bit more height for the cover. You may have also noticed that I removed the metal high pressure fuel line attachment point from the engine cover mount. Since it interfered with the metal fuel line.

I thought about ditching the cover, but I decided to try to keep a stock look if possible.
i needed more height aswell, home depot had a threaded sleeve with a stud on one end, i threded that into where the "ball" threads in and then threaded the "ball" into it (hopefully that makes sense). this gave me the perfect height, initially i stacked washers also but ran out of threads and still needed more clearence. it also looks a tad cleaner but most people will never notice the washers anyhow.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
They're probably refurbished, not actually reman'd. Most likely not reworked by Bosch. Generally when the CP3 pumps fail they just generate low pressure, not shed lots of metal like the CP4 pumps. Did your factory CP4 pump fail?
a tad late but as one who has had a cp3 fail in my old duramax i can confirm no metal shavings were found as a result. it literally drove to the fuel station,got filled, and didnt start afterwards. i made a very expensive guess and had a "good used cp3" overnighted, replaced it at the fuel station and went on my way. the used pump lasted the remainder of my ownership which was maybe another 100,000 miles so it was good....my oem one had 250,000 or so miles on it, still have it in a box with my cp4 now. its far larger than our cp3s for anyone wondering, ive got a picture in this log.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
Just pulled the codes from my 2011:

Code:
Address 01: Engine (CJA)       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 997 030 B    HW: 03L 906 019 DA
   Component: R4 2.0l TDI G000AG  9983 
   Revision: 12H07---    Serial number:              
   Coding: 0050078
   Shop #: WSC 23116 035 00000
   VCID: 2D07191D7110E9A2B45-8078
   VINID: 0E69E070745AA12746005044141AA5A682

1 Fault Found:
000022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
               P0016 - 000 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 8
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 244351 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.06.04
                    Time: 12:35:39

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1058 /min
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Voltage: 11.86 V
                    Temperature: 73.8 C
                    Idle Stabilization: -2.7 KW
                    RPM: 524 /min
                    (no units): 33.0

Readiness: 0 0 0 X X
Part number is: 03C906433E

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Just pulled the codes from my 2011:

Code:
Address 01: Engine (CJA)       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 997 030 B    HW: 03L 906 019 DA
   Component: R4 2.0l TDI G000AG  9983 
   Revision: 12H07---    Serial number:              
   Coding: 0050078
   Shop #: WSC 23116 035 00000
   VCID: 2D07191D7110E9A2B45-8078
   VINID: 0E69E070745AA12746005044141AA5A682

1 Fault Found:
000022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
               P0016 - 000 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100000
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 8
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 244351 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.06.04
                    Time: 12:35:39

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1058 /min
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Voltage: 11.86 V
                    Temperature: 73.8 C
                    Idle Stabilization: -2.7 KW
                    RPM: 524 /min
                    (no units): 33.0

Readiness: 0 0 0 X X
Part number is: 03C906433E
If you just installed the CP3 I think the cam and crank ended up far enough out of time it's throwing an error. Or the cam sprocket slipped in the slots if it was fine for a while. Check the physical timing, and confirm the crank Sensor wiring wasn't damaged somehow during the install

CoryDaBird

TDI
Cjaa
So, at 116000 miles I installed one of the BMW CP3 Fisher Motor Works kits onto my 2013 Jetta sedan about 4000 miles ago. The only issue that I ran into was that the new hub they supply is not tapered to center the gear onto it like the old one from the cp4. It was sort of a pain in that regard. Other than that, now I have some peace of mind.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
So, at 116000 miles I installed one of the BMW CP3 Fisher Motor Works kits onto my 2013 Jetta sedan about 4000 miles ago. The only issue that I ran into was that the new hub they supply is not tapered to center the gear onto it like the old one from the cp4. It was sort of a pain in that regard. Other than that, now I have some peace of mind.
Does that kit require you to keep the AUX pump installed?

CoryDaBird

TDI
Cjaa
Yeah, you do have to leave the aux on. The thing I like about the bmw kit is the availability of brand new pumps at every major parts store