Traction Control(ASR) Need a Ginnie pig

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
I checked Bentley and obviously the mk20 module was designed to work on two generations of VW, and it does'nt use the same pins on the B4 and A4 25-pins connector.

Compu would you still consider the EDL without ASR worth it?

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Having 2 wheel drive instead of one in low speed ice/snow conditions is better than nothing, but I don't want EDS to be annoying without ASR. Someone was talking of a "repeated potholes" feeling...

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I wouldn't worry about it. If your trying to do a burnout on dry ground its annoying when the drivetrain is under a fairly heavy load. But its never really been bothersome on snow or ice.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
B4 and Mk3 VR6 cars had just ABS+EDL. Get the ABS pump / computer from one of those cars. Drop in upgrade.

-J

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
It will probably be easier for me to find a ABS/EDL/ASR module. The engine reduction signal will simply be lost in an unused pin, and there will be less age on the part than on a A3/B4 one.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I checked Bentley and obviously the mk20 module was designed to work on two generations of VW, and it does'nt use the same pins on the B4 and A4 25-pins connector.

Compu would you still consider the EDL without ASR worth it?
The MK20 Module does fit A4 cars till the middle of 2001 when VW did a running change to the MK60s .I installed one of the first ASR MK20 ASR/EDL on my 01Jetta without a problem. because it was an early 01 and still had the MK20 25 pin connector on it. My 03 is waiting on a MK60 unit from a friend that hopefully will be here soon. But the MK20 unit will fit the 25 pin Pre MK60 cars. I have installed them on 99.5, 2000 and 2001 without a problem. On one 99.5 the ASR light would not work but you could see the wheels working and the engine revs would drop like they should. So just the light did not work or was not in the cluster to start with.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Customize how?
It's my understanding that the EDL works by using the brakes to apply friction on the wheel that is slipping (spinning faster). Is there a way to adjust when EDL kicks in or how much pressure it applies to the slipping wheel?

I've heard some people say that the ASR/EDL has caused them to slid into a ditches or not be able to get up a hill b/c it either brakes the to hard preventing the car from going around a slick corner, or by cutting fuel back so far they can't make it up a slick driveway. Its seems like its been mostly with cars that have upgraded braking systems.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
On one 99.5 the ASR light would not work but you could see the wheels working and the engine revs would drop like they should. So just the light did not work or was not in the cluster to start with.
The light IS in the cluster, you just need to hook it up.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I've heard some people say that the ASR/EDL has caused them to slid into a ditches or not be able to get up a hill b/c it either brakes the to hard preventing the car from going around a slick corner, or by cutting fuel back so far they can't make it up a slick driveway. Its seems like its been mostly with cars that have upgraded braking systems.
Correlation does not equal causation. Its possible those people with upgraded brakes are more like to drive like idiots leaving them at higher risk of landing themselves in a ditch.

I have TT brakes front and rear on my car and have had no issue with ASR.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
No. These features cannot be changed using VCDS.

With the defeat switch, ASR is can be disable. EDL cannot. EDL only works up to 25MPH(IIRC). I was told ASR works at all speeds, but haven't seen it happen to me yet.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I've had ASR kick me out of cruise control while driving on slick rainy roads.

Strandl5

TDI
none
I did a successful ASR upgrade to my Golf MK4 brakes. It has AKL engine (Euro 1.6Ltr), cable trottle and ABS-only MK20 controller (1J0 614 117 C + 1J0 907 379 G).
Now it has ASR MK20 controller (1J0 614 417 A + 1J0 907 379 R) with full functionality- when activated, it operates the brakes and cuts the engine power. I also did the wiring to the cluster and to the ASR button, and they also work as expected.
Now I'm waiting for snow and ice to test and enjoy the mod.
;)
I have the same car 1,6 AKL and I want to do the same thing. Can you tell me your throttle body number and any other guidelines on how to do that?
My ABS unit is:1J0 907 379 P it is mk20. Soft coding: 03504
If ASR kicks in does it cut the power? How does it do that if you have cable throttle? What is the difference between 1J0 and 1C0? My car doesn't have electric throttle body control. If I get ABS system with ASR and EDL, then ASR wouldn't work, but EDL will? I'm planning to change my throttle body too, to get Cruis Control.
Thanks!!

tonyM

TDI
1999 Golf MK4, 1J1, Highline, AKL, DUU
Here is my thread about this upgrade in Bulgarian VW forum: http://www.vwclub.bg/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=219912 .
ABS controller and ECU are connected with CAN-bus. So, when power-down is needed (ASR kicks in), the ABS controller controls the injection period or timing advance through the ECU. I don't know which parameter is actually used, but it is a good idea to check this by VAG-COM. This was tested and works on AGU and AKL engines (both with cable-operated trottles) with ABS+EDS+MSR+ASR MK20 controller with this number 1J0 614 417 A + 1J0 907 379 R.
About my AKL-powered Golf:
1. Cable-operated trottle body with number 06A 133 064 J
2. ABS controller BEFORE: 1J0 614 117 C + 1J0 907 379 G
3. ABS controller AFTER: 1J0 614 417 A + 1J0 907 379 R
4. Both EDS and ASR are tested and working after the upgrade, also ABS functionality was not affeced
So, I think that you can upgrade your trottle body to those one, used for CCS (06A133066), and this will not affect your ASR functionality (if you did this upgrade also).
I think you know, that both ECU and trottle body have to be changed, if you want CCS activeated on AKL engine. By the way, what is your ECU and trottle body numbers?

Strandl5

TDI
none
Thanks for a quick reply :)
Throttle Body: 06A 133 064 J
ECU: 06A 906 019 BQ.
Yes, I know I have to change the ECU and TB.

Can I use the same ABS controller 1J0 614 417 A + 1J0 907 379 R. Or replacing my (1J0 907 379 P) I should use something else? ABS unit looks little bigger than the first one looking at these pictures http://volkswagen.msk.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=104266&st=0&#entry1813852 I haven't taken it from my car so I can't measure it. Can anyone tell me about 1J0 907 379 P, is it only ABS?

Last edited:

tonyM

TDI
1999 Golf MK4, 1J1, Highline, AKL, DUU
Yes, 1J0 907 379 P is only ABS, MK20 type.
It is written on its body: Steuergerät fuer ABS.
Scan Address 03 with VAG-COM and you will see:

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Part No: 1J0 907 379 P
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001

For ASR upgrade, you can use 1J0 907 379 J (or R, or AF) with motor 1J0 614 417 А. Motors with label ending 117 is for ABS only, 217 is for ABS+EDS only. That is why I wrote 1J0907379R+1J0614417А.
Here is what is written on its body: Steuergerät ABS/EDS/MSR/ASR.

If you scan this ASR controller with VAG-COM, you will see:

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Part No: 1J0 907 379 J (or R, or AF)
Component: ASR 20 IE CAN 0001

Yes, ASR controller has dimension a=130 mm, ABS only has a=100mm. But don't worry, ASR will fit on your craddle without problems- it is the same and mounting holes are at the same position, and space is provided (from the VW engineers) for those extra 30mm. Just unscrew 3 bolts, remove old ABS block from the craddle, fit new ASR to the craddle, screw the bolts, and you are ready to screw the hydraulic lines.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Bump...Everybody who has a MK4 and lives in snow areas needs to do this mod. It works fantastic. Stopped on a hill with around 2 inches of very heavy, icy, and dense snow. Revved the engine and dumped the clutch. EDL went to work right off and I went right up the hill. ASR didn't seem to do much which I thought was odd, although I really wasn't flooring it either. The light only blinked once or twice. Maybe it's a 99.5 thing?