How Many Miles Can a Car Last - article

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm actually interested in the EcoDiesel because I heard around the 100k mark, engines start self destructing. And it speeds up if youre towing.
The challenge is that internals are basically unavailable for that engine. At least we've not been able to find any, and I've spoken to several customers who haven't been able to find them, either.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have to lift the cab off to do a LOT of things on the modern pickups.. even the gassers. And it isn't really so much so that you always HAVE to do it, but it becomes the lesser of two evils. Lifting the cab, while it certainly looks daunting, it really isn't. For the guys that do them all the time, they can have the cab off in usually two hours or less. Then, once at that point, pretty much everything else engine-related on the top end is fairly easy because it becomes almost the same as having the engine on a stand.

One of the reasons for all this cab lifting is simply because they've moved the engine compartment back and under the cowl, tight against the firewall. Add in that they've made the trucks sit up higher, especially the 4WD ones (and this is of course made much worse when owners add on the Teeny Peeny Package) and it becomes virtually impossible to reach anything on the back side of the engine. And there is no access panel ("doghouse") like some vans have.

Remember, body-on-frame pickups were BUILT with a completed chassis (engine-trans-axles-brakes-etc.) all bolted together on the frame, and the body is lowered in two sections (bed-cab) down on to the chassis. So it isn't difficult to reverse the process. You do, however, need a lift. No way around that (although a crane, etc. can certainly be built).

jetpackjbd

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI DSG
I mean, I would agree with that when it comes to fully stock cars with emission systems. Those are most problematic. BUT, if you're talking older or diesels with parts missing, thats a whole different story. I would trust those over anything after 2009 tbh.
Even then, it’s not that bad. My 2011 Jetta TDI’s exhaust smells and looks as clean as ever and hasn’t given any fault signs as of 200K miles. It doesn’t have DEF so I can’t speak for newer cars with it though. The most expensive repair I’ve done is buying a new battery for $180, and the most time-consuming repair was the windshield wiper motor (which turned out to be fine the way it was).

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I'm assuming youre out of your dieselgate warranty? I have seen a few high mileage TDIs that didnt have any issues with their DPF/EGRs, mostly because they are driving so much every day.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm actually interested in the EcoDiesel because I heard around the 100k mark, engines start self destructing. And it speeds up if youre towing.
I'm sitting around 82k miles right now but have not towed with it. Bought it before retirement with the thought that we would later buy the trailer but haven't pulled that trigger. Still debating between hotels, trailer, or class C.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Even then, it’s not that bad. My 2011 Jetta TDI’s exhaust smells and looks as clean as ever and hasn’t given any fault signs as of 200K miles. It doesn’t have DEF so I can’t speak for newer cars with it though. The most expensive repair I’ve done is buying a new battery for $180, and the most time-consuming repair was the windshield wiper motor (which turned out to be fine the way it was).
Certainly hope you've done at least one timing belt service.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you just bought the car I would venture you don't really know what repairs have been done.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Sport SUV 5dr Diesel
Alright dude. I am going to be honest with you. We know your deal. For starters they never sold that vehicle in the United States. It is a 2012 which means it’s not legal to import until 2037. If you tried to insure or register it the government would have seized it. It happened to a bunch of GTR’s in the early 2000’s. For a guy who lives in the United States your English is not great but you over use punctuation which shows that there is something off. I could see you maybe having the 2.0 gasser in that vehicle but not a diesel. The way your posts are formatted and posted are not a way a normal person would. I was starting to believe you were legit but then you posted a car never sold here. All your credibility went out the window. You talk like a LLM. I will now leave you alone because this is like beating my head against a wall. Just so you know no one will ever buy anything from you or take you seriously.
Am I selling something to you? Have you seen me advertising anything? I came here to socialize and make some new friends like you did (at least I hope so because it looks like many of you have a different purpose here). OK, one question: if I really wanted to sell something to you, would I waste my time on proving who I am? I would have left and looked for another platform and look for other customers. Regarding the car, can you really say that you checked every single car in the US? There are millions of cars, if not more. You can't say things like this car was never sold here. Or I never seen this car. My colleague imported a car from the UK. Just because he loves British cars. So, what would you do? Will you go and tell him that it's not possible? Regarding my English. My parents are immigrants, and they were strict about my spelling and punctuation. I still feel a bit insecure when I'm writing. I double-check everything, fearing that someone will blame me for my mistakes as you did right now (not perfect enough for you). I know my parents' English is not perfect, and in certain ways, it affected me. But if you attack everyone whose English is different from what you usually hear, can I count it as racism? Do you attack all people in the US whose English is a second language? Do you make fun of them?

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Am I selling something to you? Have you seen me advertising anything? I came here to socialize and make some new friends like you did (at least I hope so because it looks like many of you have a different purpose here). OK, one question: if I really wanted to sell something to you, would I waste my time on proving who I am? I would have left and looked for another platform and look for other customers. Regarding the car, can you really say that you checked every single car in the US? There are millions of cars, if not more. You can't say things like this car was never sold here. Or I never seen this car. My colleague imported a car from the UK. Just because he loves British cars. So, what would you do? Will you go and tell him that it's not possible? Regarding my English. My parents are immigrants, and they were strict about my spelling and punctuation. I still feel a bit insecure when I'm writing. I double-check everything, fearing that someone will blame me for my mistakes as you did right now (not perfect enough for you). I know my parents' English is not perfect, and in certain ways, it affected me. But if you attack everyone whose English is different from what you usually hear, can I count it as racism? Do you attack all people in the US whose English is a second language? Do you make fun of them?
I said I believe you. Let’s move on and have human interaction

BeauDaugherty

TDI
I guess I missed the insult to his family. Is owning a Golf really that bad?
Owning a gold is not bad at all. It's a great car, and back in time, I used to have one. Now, as I said, my little brother drives it. I really enjoyed riding that car. So many memories. But for those who don't know, here's a bunch of guys who accuse me of being AI, bor, or whatever else they call me. There's another thread where many users just crossed the line by calling me AI, and now they comment on my posts here. Is it always like that? Do you really meet new people this way?

BeauDaugherty

TDI
What I've heard about them is that after 100k miles, the microcracks appear, and they can cause a fire.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
can I count it as racism
END LINGUISM NOW.

Your punctuation was fine. You know, if your initial reaction to the AI stuff was "haha ok", or if you started talking like a 1950s movie robot, that probably would have ended it. Getting butt-hurt and typing 800 words about it is just asking for more "abuse", even if people aren't being vicious. And believe me, they weren't.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Same as a VW... depends on whether you deleted it or not. Now where an ALH would just start choking itself to death at 100k with an intact EGR, the difference is that the Eco will light itself on fire in protest when it gets coked up and the plastic intake manifold cant take it anymore.

As we have known here for 20+ years... EGR and Diesel don't coexist

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd chisel out as much of that carbon crap as possible first, then soak in a acetone/gasoline bath and repeat the manual cleaning before torching it.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
That was a couple of years ago, we put the manifold in a dollar store foil baking pan and baked it in a barbecue for an hour. All the carbon buildup melted and oozed out the intake ports. Once it cooled it was brittle and was relatively easy to dig out the remainder with a screwdriver and pick.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I know a non-picky eater when I see one

kf6eml

TDI
13 Passat, 98 jetta AHU
That's one of the worse intakes I've seen. Not the worst, but pretty bad.
I took one out of an AHU recently, and it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty crusty. Soaking in mineral spirits and scrubbing a little with a brush cleaned it up nicely. No torching or barbecuing required.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
That's one of the worse intakes I've seen. Not the worst, but pretty bad.
I took one out of an AHU recently, and it wasn't that bad, but it was pretty crusty. Soaking in mineral spirits and scrubbing a little with a brush cleaned it up nicely. No torching or barbecuing required.
It came out of a car that had less than the bare minimum of maintenance over its lifespan. As far as we could tell the timing belt had never been replaced until we did it at 215k miles. Turbo completely shot (56 thou endplay) at 239k.

kf6eml

TDI
13 Passat, 98 jetta AHU
It came out of a car that had less than the bare minimum of maintenance over its lifespan. As far as we could tell the timing belt had never been replaced until we did it at 215k miles. Turbo completely shot (56 thou endplay) at 239k.
Wow. 215K on a timing belt? That car has a guardian angel.

The one I took apart had 250K on it.
The other one I have has about 250K on it, and looks really clean. (I didn't take it off. Just looked with a borescope.)

BeauDaugherty

TDI
END LINGUISM NOW.

Your punctuation was fine. You know, if your initial reaction to the AI stuff was "haha ok", or if you started talking like a 1950s movie robot, that probably would have ended it. Getting butt-hurt and typing 800 words about it is just asking for more "abuse", even if people aren't being vicious. And believe me, they weren't.
Thanks for letting me know that next time, I should say, ""Haha,"" and whatever you think. I just found it really offensive that whatever you say seems like AI-generated content. That's why I felt a bit hurt and insulted. Gladly those messages are deleted now, and I hope we are good.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Eeeeeewwwww. Are you seriously thinking that it's possible to do something with this?
As stated above, those photos were taken a couple of years ago. We got the manifold and EGR valve totally cleaned out and reinstalled on the car. Significantly better power and torque after the cleaning!

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I just found it really offensive that whatever you say seems like AI-generated content.
Next time, try to use it as a learning experience. If people think you sound like a machine, and them saying so hurts your feelings, then go back and analyze what you said and try not to sound like a machine again.

I'm not a psychologist, but i play one on the internet.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
I'm impressed that you've been able to keep your cars rust-free. My '02 Wagon is garaged, I wash it fairly frequently, but I still invoked the VW rust warranty when it was 11 years old and got a new tailgate, fenders, and one rocker repaired. I've since replaced the fenders a second time and had the other rocker repaired. I do drive it all winter, and it's covered a lot of miles in bad weather. When it reaches 25 years old I plan to have the body refreshed. No plans to sell it, ever.

I agree with not having car payments. My last one was in '07 as well. I'm happy that my children are adopting the same approach to car ownership. And people who drive newer cars don't realize how much they are paying in insurance and taxes compared to what older cars cost. I just paid the excise (personal property tax) bills for my 5 cars and it totaled a little over $300. Someone could easily pay that for just one newer car.

I had my 03 painted last year, the original paint was sandblasted. Replaced the fenders as there was surface rust on the inside, back where the crud collects. Not worth dealing with when the replacements were so cheap. There is zero rust in the rockers despite it being a New England car. I do spray an anti-rust oil inside the fenders, hood, bumper supports, etc. Cleaning out the area behind the front wheel liner a couple times a year helps. I have a '13 Suburban I picked up used and that is perfect. But I hose it down with anti-rust oil yearly. It had surface rust underneath when I got it but the anti-rust stops it cold. I started this years ago with pickup trucks. First it was used motor oil, works, but that is a toxic mess. Then it was Waxoyl, then Fluid Film, then NH Oil Undercoating which I'm still using but might switch to PB Blaster Surface Shield. All of this stuff makes a mess, but it stops rust completely. Whatever is there ain't going any farther. Coat them once a year, having access to a lift and the correct application gun makes a big difference.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
There's also "Woolwax", which is lanolin-based like FluidFilm but reportedly is thicker in consistency...