How Many Miles Can a Car Last - article

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 1935 Ford is still going strong. Unknown mileage as the odo doesn't go very high.

1936 Ford Coupe also holding out pretty well.

If you take care of your things, they generally last a lot longer.

Just bought a 2007 Tahoe with a 5.3l engine with a failed lifter. Rebuilt the whole top end of the engine and now runs like new again. $5k was a lot cheaper than new. 166k miles. These things seem to start at $40k new.

Those are just the fun, play cars. The Beetle tdi is my main commuter. $3k for the Tahoe and $2k to repair (parts).

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I thought that too until this massive hail storm. It might not make it.
Replace the glass and motor on, but possibly those fenders as well. Wrench-a-part is your friend... you always see Beetles there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just bought a 2007 Tahoe with a 5.3l engine with a failed lifter. Rebuilt the whole top end of the engine and now runs like new again. $5k was a lot cheaper than new. 166k miles. These things seem to start at $40k new.

Those are just the fun, play cars. The Beetle tdi is my main commuter. $3k for the Tahoe and $2k to repair (parts).
My brother used to do that with his older Tahoe until it met it's demise on the NJ turnpike. It was the middle of a five car accident. No amount of duct tape would fix that damage.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Sport SUV 5dr Diesel
What they wrote there is just ridiculous. If you maintain your car and actually take care of it can serve you way longer. My uncle has an old Camry from 2002, I guess, and it's still in mint condition, and rides smoothly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son's '02 Golf just got a replacement transmission, clutch, axle, and rear brakes. 487K miles on it.

We debated wether or not it was worth fixing, but everthing else works, it consumes less than a liter of oil in 10K miles, and gets better FE than his '11 JSW. So it goes on.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
My son's '02 Golf just got a replacement transmission, clutch, axle, and rear brakes. 487K miles on it.

We debated wether or not it was worth fixing, but everthing else works, it consumes less than a liter of oil in 10K miles, and gets better FE than his '11 JSW. So it goes on.
My little brother drives a similar car. We just recently replaced a timing belt for him, and this car rides smoothly. It was actually the first car that my dad got me, and now it's my brothers'. I loved it.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
My little brother drives a similar car. We just recently replaced a timing belt for him, and this car rides smoothly. It was actually the first car that my dad got me, and now it's my brothers'. I loved it.
When did you pick up your Tiguan? I would like one it's a cool vehicle. Did you purchase it new in the USA?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your father is very fortunate to have an appreciative human son such as yourself. In your opinion, is the New AMD MI300X Better Than The NVIDIA H100?

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Northeast or anywhere with road salt is tough. I've been able to keep my Jetta and other cars rust free for 20+yrs here with minimal effort. Most any machine will last a very long time with meticulous attention to maintenance. One of the reasons that my family is able to enjoy some of the finer things in life is we don't do car payments. Bought the 03 used in 05, paid off in 07. That was the last car purchased on payments. Older cars mean some maintenance, but done mostly yourself, its not bad. Older cars are cheaper to insure, less tax, etc. I love older high mileage vehicles. The perceived value is very low, so they can be had cheap.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm impressed that you've been able to keep your cars rust-free. My '02 Wagon is garaged, I wash it fairly frequently, but I still invoked the VW rust warranty when it was 11 years old and got a new tailgate, fenders, and one rocker repaired. I've since replaced the fenders a second time and had the other rocker repaired. I do drive it all winter, and it's covered a lot of miles in bad weather. When it reaches 25 years old I plan to have the body refreshed. No plans to sell it, ever.

I agree with not having car payments. My last one was in '07 as well. I'm happy that my children are adopting the same approach to car ownership. And people who drive newer cars don't realize how much they are paying in insurance and taxes compared to what older cars cost. I just paid the excise (personal property tax) bills for my 5 cars and it totaled a little over $300. Someone could easily pay that for just one newer car.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I agree. I know a handful of people who have gone the route of just buying a new(er) car and not fix the one they have. Mostly cause if its in the high thousands of dollars, it scares them so they go the way of getting another car where they dont have to put anything down and just pay monthly. Interest right now wouldnt be worth it and you're paying more over the course 5,6,7? Years. Also comes down to people not being smart with money, but thats a whole different ball game.

I just like not paying $XXX of money every 2 weeks or a month when it can go towards something else. I'm not on the clout train of always gotta have a new car thats like 1-2 years old cause its a status thing. :rolleyes:

jetpackjbd

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI DSG
I’d like to add this article to the conversation.
"Diesel cars are 3 times more likely to go wrong than their petrol equivalent
Diesel Rule 1: NEVER buy high mileage
To be clear - avoid diesel cars with over 100,000 miles on the clock.”

I don’t think I’ve even seen a diesel under 100K miles

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I’d like to add this article to the conversation.
"Diesel cars are 3 times more likely to go wrong than their petrol equivalent
Diesel Rule 1: NEVER buy high mileage
To be clear - avoid diesel cars with over 100,000 miles on the clock.”

I don’t think I’ve even seen a diesel under 100K miles
The level of popular misinformation around diesel engines is genuinely appalling

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well to be fair, modern diesels do have a lot of frightfully fragile and expensive bits on them, many of which are very difficult to access. Ask anyone who has had the pleasure of doing an EGR cooler on the 3.2L Transit, or the drive belt for the HPFP on the BACK of the 3.0L in the F150. Or all the little plastic plumbing bits that break and start leaking on the VM engine in the Ram 1500. Or literally ANYTHING on ANY newer diesel 3/4 ton pickup.

20+ hours just to fix an oil leak? You could rering two ALHs in that much time.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I remember "cab lift" being part of major service procedures back in the 60s when they tried putting 5 foot long 6 cylinder diesel engines in 8 foot long "short conventional cab" heavy trucks... Most thusly got scrapped when engine rebuild time came. Now it's become SOP for many repairs on diesel pickups!

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I mean, I would agree with that when it comes to fully stock cars with emission systems. Those are most problematic. BUT, if you're talking older or diesels with parts missing, thats a whole different story. I would trust those over anything after 2009 tbh.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you need to remove a cylinder head or heads on a Powerstroke, I believe the cab is coming off the frame. And if it's a 6.0, odds are you're removing the heads.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
If you need to remove a cylinder head or heads on a Powerstroke, I believe the cab is coming off the frame. And if it's a 6.0, odds are you're removing the heads.
And if you get them off the odds of having a head gasket left are about 0…

BeauDaugherty

TDI
When did you pick up your Tiguan? I would like one it's a cool vehicle. Did you purchase it new in the USA?
I replied to you in another thread. Yes, I bought it in the US, not from the car dealership, but from my hands.

BeauDaugherty

TDI
Stop making fun of me. Your remarks are really insulting. If you don't believe me, it's absolutely your right.
If you don't like what I write here, then LEAVE ME ALONE. Just skip my comments and mind your own business.
Or should I start telling people that you are a bot that follows newcomers and generates jokes? Would you like it?
You went way too far by insulting my family.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
Stop making fun of me. Your remarks are really insulting. If you don't believe me, it's absolutely your right.
If you don't like what I write here, then LEAVE ME ALONE. Just skip my comments and mind your own business.
Or should I start telling people that you are a bot that follows newcomers and generates jokes? Would you like it?
You went way too far by insulting my family.
Alright dude. I am going to be honest with you. We know your deal. For starters they never sold that vehicle in the United States. It is a 2012 which means it’s not legal to import until 2037. If you tried to insure or register it the government would have seized it. It happened to a bunch of GTR’s in the early 2000’s. For a guy who lives in the United States your English is not great but you over use punctuation which shows that there is something off. I could see you maybe having the 2.0 gasser in that vehicle but not a diesel. The way your posts are formatted and posted are not a way a normal person would. I was starting to believe you were legit but then you posted a car never sold here. All your credibility went out the window. You talk like a LLM. I will now leave you alone because this is like beating my head against a wall. Just so you know no one will ever buy anything from you or take you seriously.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
From what I've been reading, many of the longer life service items on my Ram ecodiesel will also require the cab to come off. Turns a simple job into a multiday expense.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I'm actually interested in the EcoDiesel because I heard around the 100k mark, engines start self destructing. And it speeds up if youre towing.