ESP - Golf/Jetta/Jetta Wagon/NB 2002-2004

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Thanks DPM, I suspect the same, after reading pages 5 and 6.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Go to where you can drive a distance in a straight line.
Position wheels straight ahead
Hook up V-C and clear the codes (if they still appear after you "clear", ignore them)
Switch off ignition
Switch on ignition
Go back to the brake controller in V-C
start the engine
drive straight ahead at speeds below 12.5 mph. do not turn the steering wheel
Observe m-b group 004
Come to a stop
login with 40168
go to basic settings 060
It should show "on" to indicate that the zero compensation of the steering angle has been completed.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
OK, the good news is that it's fixed and works. Thanks for all the suggestions and work on this thread to date.

I tried MOGolf's latest fix, and it didn't work.
So, I drove home, pulled the airbag and wheel, and noted that the steering ring did not have an equal number of turns lock to lock.

I centered it, counting roughly 2 full turns to either side, and put the wheel back on. Hooked up vagcom and the sensor was at 3.5 degrees. Cool.
Put the airbag back on, and went for a drive.

I again did the latest procedure, and got all the ESP lights out. No error codes either.

I drove into SF and while in town, hit a 90 degree turn a little hot, where I know that normally I lose traction in at least one wheel, and saw the ESP light flash on, and the brakes kick in. So, we're set.

We should note on page 1 that when you install the steering ring, it needs to be centered. I guess it's obvious, but I assumed it was just an infinite turn with no start or stop, and the calibration is what determined 0 and 360 degrees.

Remaining problems:
1) I cannot change the ABS controller coding, it's stuck at what it was at (0019970). It will accept 0019548, thinks for a minute, but then does nothing.
2) I seem to have lost my alarm horn beep, as well as the autoup on my front passenger window (autodown works) plus the outside temp sensor. As far as I know, nothing is unplugged. Any ideas? Am I correct in recalling autoup on the passenger side as well?

I ran a full vagcom scan and have a few error codes, which I will put up later.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
19970 = FN3 brakes (514) + 18432 (petrol engines from 125hp + all diesels) + 1024 (drive-by-wire engine)
19458 = FS3 brakes (2) + 18432 + 1024

I agree with you that it won't matter. My ASR controller is coded 21505 and I can't find a combination of features to add up to that. Ross-Tech wiki doesn't have info on coding ABS/EDS/ASR either. Nevertheless it works and won't change.

ward1e

TDI
2002 Mk4 Golf SE
Does anybody know why there are 2, 3 pin connectors on the master cylinder I bought

Hi,

I live in the UK I'm in the process of doing this modification and I have managed to get the master cylinder, brake booster, combination sensor, steering angle sensor/cancelling ring, ABS/ESP pump, and ESP ECU for £250. I have all the relevant connectors on order from VW.

I have been studying the wiring diagrams in the bentley manual / elsawin and I can't work out why there are 2, identical 3 pin connectors on my master cylinder. One of them is mentioned as Sender 1 for brake booster -G201- the other one looks exactly the same but is at the end of my cylinder (away from the brake booster), but what is it for? Does it need to be wired up?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
ward1e said:
Hi,

I live in the UK I'm in the process of doing this modification and I have managed to get the master cylinder, brake booster, combination sensor, steering angle sensor/cancelling ring, ABS/ESP pump, and ESP ECU for £250. I have all the relevant connectors on order from VW.

I have been studying the wiring diagrams in the bentley manual / elsawin and I can't work out why there are 2, identical 3 pin connectors on my master cylinder. One of them is mentioned as Sender 1 for brake booster -G201- the other one looks exactly the same but is at the end of my cylinder (away from the brake booster), but what is it for? Does it need to be wired up?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben
Sounds like you've got the wrong master cylinder. It should only have one connector for your model year car. I am assuming you have the MK60 and NOT the MK20?

ward1e

TDI
2002 Mk4 Golf SE
Yea it’s definitely a MK60 all the parts were taken from the same car at least according the breaker, and I have wired up the ABS ECU independently to VAG-COM on my bench to confirm that it was the MK60 with ESP for a front wheel drive car. It came off a 2003 golf but I haven’t got any more info on the donor car.

The MK20 didn't have 2 pressure sensors at least according to the Bentley manual. Interestingly though the European Haynes manual for my car states that there are 2 pressure sensors on the master cylinder in the procedure for removing and/or replacing the part. However when it comes to the wiring diagrams there is only wiring for 1 brake pressure sensor to the ABS ECU.

I've also looked up the wiring harness for the master cylinder on ETKA (part number 1J0 971 008) feel free to look it up and check for yourself (or I can post a screen shot) and that definitely has connectors for 2 pressure sensors on the master cylinder.

I wonder if both sensors can be wired up in parallel to the ECU or just one of the sensors (ie the one in the middle of the master cylinder). I really want to get to the bottom of this one as its the only thing left thats stopping me from going ahead and fitting ESP to my golf.

Last edited:

ward1e

TDI
2002 Mk4 Golf SE
I've just answered part of my own question and have found that the 2 pressure senders are mentioned and shown in a diagram on elsawin under the 'Assembly overviewof the brake servo/ brake master cylinder with ABS/EDL/TCS/ESP'.

The one closest to the brake booster end of the master cylinder is 'Brake pressure sender 2 -G214- in primary brake circuit', and the one away from the brake booster end of the master cylinder is 'Brake pressure sender 1 -G201- in secondary brake circuit'.

However though there still seems to be no information how they are both wired up to the ABS ECU. So still any help would be appreciated.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
However though there still seems to be no information how they are both wired up to the ABS ECU. So still any help would be appreciated.
Well, that is going to be a very big problem. You will definately not be able to code or configure anything if that sensor is needed and can't be found by the ABS computer.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=866583&postcount=25

Here is the picture of my Booster/Master Cylinder

And, the thead where it came from

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=92577&highlight=ESP

I think you have the WRONG master cylinder, but I could be wrong. I assume since you are RIGHT hand drive the brake line connections are on the other side of the master cylinder?

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The master cylinder you describe is for a Mk 20 system, not Mk 60.
The Mk 60 master cylinder only has G201.

G201 wiring to Mk 60 controller is 1 - T47a/19, 2 - T47a/20, 3 - T47a/18.

G201 wiring to Mk 20 controller is 1 - T14/1 - T47/28, 2 - T14/2 - T47/12, 3 - T14/3 - T47/43
G214 wiring to Mk 20 controller is 1 - T14/12 - T47/26, 2 - T14/13 - T47/10, 3 - T14/14 - T47/41

Last edited:

ward1e

TDI
2002 Mk4 Golf SE
I just wondered can anybody post a picture of a MK60 ESP Master cylinder and servo - prefereably from a right hand drive, but left hand drive will be better than nothing. Or just the master cylinder will do if thats easier.

I think you might be right about it being off a MK20 system, I think the parts must have gotten mixed up on the shelves because there is no way of checking the part number actually on the master cylinder. I'm gonna go back to the breaker and try and swap the parts over they were really helpful last time. It would really help if I had a photo though so I can show them exactly what I mean.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ward1e said:
I just wondered can anybody post a picture of a MK60 ESP Master cylinder and servo - prefereably from a right hand drive, but left hand drive will be better than nothing. Or just the master cylinder will do if thats easier.

I think you might be right about it being off a MK20 system, I think the parts must have gotten mixed up on the shelves because there is no way of checking the part number actually on the master cylinder. I'm gonna go back to the breaker and try and swap the parts over they were really helpful last time. It would really help if I had a photo though so I can show them exactly what I mean.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Part numbers from PAGE 1 of THIS thread

Start with these, but I believe the right hand drive numbers are different. Haven't had time to check.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For RHD (current part numbers)
1J2 614 019 D master cylinder
1J2 611 301 A reservoir on the master cylinder
1J2 614 106 D booster
1J0 698 517 E MK 60 controller
1J0 698 517 B MK 60 controller for 4motion

If you have other part numbers, post them here and we'll see if they help to identify what you have.

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
hello guys, very interesting discussion!!;)

i'm an Italian owner of a 2005 Seat Leon 1M (the old one) FR TDI 150cv with the TCS (traction control system) but without the ESP.:mad:

What would I have to check in my leon system to be sure that i can order the parts of the list in the first page?? (i'm quite sure that most of the parts will be the same of the lasts MK4 golf TDI 150cv).:cool:

And what about some prices, if you know??:eek:

Thanks in advantage.:D

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
M206 said:

i'm an Italian owner of a 2005 Seat Leon 1M (the old one) FR TDI 150cv with the TCS (traction control system) but without the ESP.:mad:

What would I have to check in my leon system to be sure that i can order the parts of the list in the first page?? (i'm quite sure that most of the parts will be the same of the lasts MK4 golf TDI 150cv).:cool:

And what about some prices, if you know??:eek:

any upgrade??

i'm still searching info around the web..

very low progress..

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
OK... I'm trying to suss out the ESP upgrade since my "new" 2004 Jetta doesn't have it...

I must be missing something obvious, however, because I don't know what this is:

It would seem to be an important piece, yet the legible part of the part number (... 907 637D) doesn't correspond to anything cited in Lito's list of parts in the first post... so what is it, and what's the part number?

Thx

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the full part number is probably 1J1 907 637 D.
The latest listing shows the sensor 1J0 907 655 A, plus the bracket and nut pictured all as individual parts.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
MOGolf said:
Yes, the full part number is probably 1J1 907 637 D.
The latest listing shows the sensor 1J0 907 655 A, plus the bracket and nut pictured all as individual parts.
Thanks Glen. So the 637 D number is the complete assembly, then?

Also, do we have a p/n for the ESP dash switch, and the companion connector? I didn't notice them in the listing, either.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1J0 927 134 A 01C ESP switch
8L0 971 972 connector

M206

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDI 150cv
M206 said:

Any help??:rolleyes:

how could i be sure that all of the parts needed to do the upgrade are the same on leon and golf??:confused:

could someone with etka help me in find the solution??:D

thanks;)

lasrsktr

TDI
none
Back from the dead with a random question

I have a random and weird question regarding this.

I have swapped my interior harness from a 2002.5 MK4 2.0 GLS body harness to a harness from a 04.5 GLI which is of course prewired for the ESP equipment.

I do not want to invest in the ESP hardware and i feel it will be counter productive since i already have a LSD installed.

I read that you have to swap the jumper wire from Pin T47a/14 to T47a12.

Do you think if I swap the pin from T47a12 back to T47a14 that this would allow the car to function with the ABS only equipment?

Thanks,
Steven

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Give it a try. It can have two results: 1) works, 2) fault code and ESP is disabled.

If the controller in the car is not an ESP controller, then the jumper wire should be in 14 not 12.

lasrsktr

TDI
none
MOGolf said:
Give it a try. It can have two results: 1) works, 2) fault code and ESP is disabled.

If the controller in the car is not an ESP controller, then the jumper wire should be in 14 not 12.
It worked...

My issue was i swapped in a wire harness from an ESP enabled car so it was prewired for ESP..

I didn't want ESP as the cost of components locally is nuts and I already accomplish it mechanically with an LSD...

So all i had to do was swap the wire from position 12 to position 14 to make everything talk the way it should..

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
lasrsktr said:
It worked...

My issue was i swapped in a wire harness from an ESP enabled car so it was prewired for ESP..

I didn't want ESP as the cost of components locally is nuts and I already accomplish it mechanically with an LSD...

So all i had to do was swap the wire from position 12 to position 14 to make everything talk the way it should..
ESP is stability control. An LSD will not give you that.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
danix said:
To those comtemplating this project, who perhaps read my earlier ASR install post - this is a lot, lot more work than just swapping hydro units on the ASR. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram in almost a year, so I'm being very slow and careful, but still. Don't underestimate the size of this project.
Oh man Dan, you arent kidding. I'm doing this for BleachedBora right now.... Making my own heated seat wiring harness was easier....:rolleyes:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
oldpoopie said:
Oh man Dan, you arent kidding. I'm doing this for BleachedBora right now.... Making my own heated seat wiring harness was easier....:rolleyes:
How far along are you? It is actually not that bad if you do it in stages. Let me know if you need any thing, but considering your qualifications, I'm sure you'll be fine!!!! It is just time consuming!!