ESP - Golf/Jetta/Jetta Wagon/NB 2002-2004

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
You can go ahead and install the steering angle sensor anytime. And, you could install the accelerator/yaw sensor under the steering wheel column as well.

In fact, I recommend you do so to cut down on the amount of work. They can be wired with no adverse affect on your existing system. You already have your kill switch installed so all that's left is the connector to the Master Cylinder.

Everything else is ABS pump, Brake booster and Master Cylinder.

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can'yt wait for the PDF file too, I want to install this into my 00 golf TDI.
This thread won't help you. You need to look at my other thead which covers 1999-2001.

You must get the ABS pump from Germany. It never came over to the US. It's a 47-pin MK20. That's the hardest part.

Lito

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
My controller had the abbreviations on the controller, but I don't know if you can read them with it on the car. Over here, I think if you have ASR you have EDL for sure.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
If I recall, it is under the ABS motor (with all the hydraulic lines). It has a big electrical connector.

There may be another way, like checking with vag-com and then looking the part number up.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Lito, any progress on that PDF? I'm about to attempt this.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dan,

This thead is it. Make sure you get the brake booster release tool or you'll never get it disconnected from the pedal.

I've combined all the information in the very first post of this thread.

Last edited:

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Short question, I've found an ESP unit with control module (1J0 614 517 J and 1C0 907 379 M) but haven't found the rest of the parts. Is it possible to use just the ABS/ESP unit for ASR only, and add the brake booster and other related sensors at a later time, and then enable ESP functionality? In other words, can the ESP Control Unit do just ASR, or if you just want ASR do you have to get just the ASR unit?

Thanks in advance

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Just got my parts and I will try to whip up a PDF summary as I go along.

adrianTNT

My ESP... !?

Hello, can someone help me with this?

I just got a second hand Golf 4, 1600cc, 16 V year 2001.
I have an "ESP" button and button light stays on even if is pressed (inside) or not. I cannot see any change when I press it.
I have that light next to speedometer (manual says is ESP light), that is also always on.

What does it mean?
ESP system is always on?
Always off, not functioning ?

Thank you.
-Adrian.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
adrianTNT said:
Hello, can someone help me with this?

I just got a second hand Golf 4, 1600cc, 16 V year 2001.
I have an "ESP" button and button light stays on even if is pressed (inside) or not. I cannot see any change when I press it.
I have that light next to speedometer (manual says is ESP light), that is also always on.

What does it mean?
ESP system is always on?
Always off, not functioning ?

Thank you.
-Adrian.
If your ESP light is on that means that the system is de-activated, (turned off).

Get someone with a Vag-Com to pull the codes and see what error messages you are getting. It is probably a bad sensor. :(

adrianTNT

Occams_Razor said:
If your ESP light is on that means that the system is de-activated, (turned off).

Get someone with a Vag-Com to pull the codes and see what error messages you are getting. It is probably a bad sensor. :(
Thank you.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
ARBY said:
Short question, I've found an ESP unit with control module (1J0 614 517 J and 1C0 907 379 M) but haven't found the rest of the parts. Is it possible to use just the ABS/ESP unit for ASR only, and add the brake booster and other related sensors at a later time, and then enable ESP functionality? In other words, can the ESP Control Unit do just ASR, or if you just want ASR do you have to get just the ASR unit?

Thanks in advance

Anybody?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
I would guess that the answer to your question is yes, as long as there is no additional plumbing for ESP (I haven't looked closely at my parts yet).

fuzion

Would you still have to go through all this with a GTI 1.8t mk4?

As the australian models never came with asr/or esp, and even no heated seats, argh!

Is there an easier way for this mod to an gti? the ecu / module already there and plug n play and config or not possible?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You need to veryify everything with part numbers. All the different markets use specific parts. It would not be prudent for someone in North America to comment on your ABS module without looking to see if your module is the same as their module.

adrianTNT

I posted a previous message telling you that my ESP light stays on and nothing happens when I press the button on board, I did some tests at service, the ESP is not functional and those guys said is a problem to a "steering sensor" (?!) or something like that. They said that costs around 580$ so I am sure its a bad idea to get it from them.
They also said they have to check all car electrical installation to make sure I have no bad wires and that the sensor cannot be taken down and tested, this last one sounded strange.

- Anyone knows from where I can get such sensor? A shop maybe or maybe some of you have Golf 4 or compatible parts.
- Where is that steering sensor located in the car ?

Thank you.
- Adrian.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Adrian,

Go to the first post in the thread and you will see that Lito lists the part number and in what year and model of car you might find one in a junkyard.

MCA

adrianTNT said:
I posted a previous message telling you that my ESP light stays on and nothing happens when I press the button on board, I did some tests at service, the ESP is not functional and those guys said is a problem to a "steering sensor" (?!) or something like that. They said that costs around 580$ so I am sure its a bad idea to get it from them.
They also said they have to check all car electrical installation to make sure I have no bad wires and that the sensor cannot be taken down and tested, this last one sounded strange.

- Anyone knows from where I can get such sensor? A shop maybe or maybe some of you have Golf 4 or compatible parts.
- Where is that steering sensor located in the car ?

Thank you.
- Adrian.

adrianTNT

mycruiseagent said:
Adrian,
Go to the first post in the thread and you will see that Lito lists the part number and in what year and model of car you might find one in a junkyard.
MCA
I could not find posts by Lito in this thread.
The last price I heard at service was $710 for this steering sensor.
Anyone knows if it fits from any Golf 4? So I can know if I should get one from junkyard.

Thank you.
-Adrian.