ESP - Golf/Jetta/Jetta Wagon/NB 2002-2004

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
adrianTNT said:
I posted a previous message telling you that my ESP light stays on and nothing happens when I press the button on board, I did some tests at service, the ESP is not functional and those guys said is a problem to a "steering sensor" (?!) or something like that. They said that costs around 580$ so I am sure its a bad idea to get it from them.
They also said they have to check all car electrical installation to make sure I have no bad wires and that the sensor cannot be taken down and tested, this last one sounded strange.

- Anyone knows from where I can get such sensor? A shop maybe or maybe some of you have Golf 4 or compatible parts.
- Where is that steering sensor located in the car ?

Thank you.
- Adrian.
WAIT, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING YET!!! Has you steering wheel been off of the car at all recently? I remember when I took mine off to install a few mods, that I moved the sensor out of alignment. I got the same steering sensor code. They is a proceedure in the Bentley to set it right. I had to take the wheel off, realign in follwing the proceedure and put the wheel back on. It took all of like 5 minutes. Let me know if you need more info.

Tommy

adrianTNT

TDIinRI said:
WAIT, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING YET!!! Has you steering wheel been off of the car at all recently? I remember when I took mine off to install a few mods, that I moved the sensor out of alignment. I got the same steering sensor code. They is a proceedure in the Bentley to set it right. I had to take the wheel off, realign in follwing the proceedure and put the wheel back on. It took all of like 5 minutes. Let me know if you need more info.
Tommy
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the message, I didn't buy anything yet, so I can try anything you suggest... almost anything.. :D
I bought the car around 2 months ago, (second hand car), It had EPS light on when I got it. The wheel might have been off, when I look closer it looks like some other interior parts are not fitting right so I am thinking some parts ware changed/replaced.
If you can give me more info on how to position it correctley, it is helpful.
I dont know if this has anything to do with it but when I turn the wheel to maximum in one direction it sounds really hard like very solid materials are hitting each other at the end of position like maybe some ruber parts are missing there.
I dont know where to start when taking the wheel off, if it needs any of the cables or staff like VAG-COM I will have to take it to service for this.
The sensor finaly got to 710$ at service and I found it in Germany (im from Romania) new for 200Euros (~240$).

Thanks.

adrianTNT

TDIinRI said:
Tommy
Tommy, where is that info? I need to know how to align the sensor correctly. Anyone else knows how to do the above? :(

Thank you.
Adrian.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
adrianTNT said:
Tommy, where is that info? I need to know how to align the sensor correctly. Anyone else knows how to do the above? :(

Thank you.
Adrian.
Read page 1

adrianTNT

tongsli said:
Read page 1
Tommy also replyed by PM, I will read the details on page one now, I dont know if Tommy was refering to a electronic adjustment of the sensor or a correct phisical position of the sensor in it's slot.

adrianTNT

tongsli vbmenu_register("postmenu_1329598", true); , I guess page one was referring to electronic adjustment of the sensor, I also want to know about the correct position and default rotation when you mount the sensor, you said you replaced the sensor, (the one under steering wheel), do you know what is the correct position and rotation when you install that? It has a yellow dot appearing at a certain rotation.

Do you know what should be the default rotation when I put the steering wheel back on?

Thanks.
Adrian.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
The dot just tells you that the clockspring inside the gizmo is still good.

No dot? The gizmo is hosed and you need to get a new one, (don't ask how I know this... :()

The position you have it in right now, (in the picture), is correct, (the electrical connector is at the top so it will fit through the hole in the steering wheel).

Once you have a yellow dot showing and everything fits back together, (if I remember correctly it really can only go together one way because of the electrical connector), you need to do the alignment procedure so the sensors and the computer know, (according to the steering angle), when the car is going straight.

adrianTNT

Occams_Razor said:
The dot just tells you that the clockspring inside the gizmo is still good.

No dot? The gizmo is hosed and you need to get a new one, (don't ask how I know this... :()

The position you have it in right now, (in the picture), is correct, (the electrical connector is at the top so it will fit through the hole in the steering wheel).

Once you have a yellow dot showing and everything fits back together, (if I remember correctly it really can only go together one way because of the electrical connector), you need to do the alignment procedure so the sensors and the computer know, (according to the steering angle), when the car is going straight.
I know it fits when the electric connectior goes thrugh the whole in steerign wheel but the sensor can have the connectors up even if i rotate the sensor's circle (the one that rotates with steering wheel) 2 times left or two times right, I guess the position is correct when is in the midle, that is what I did, I placed in in the midle (when the maximum left rotation is same wit maximum right side rotation); I thought that it has to do with yellow dot. E.G. yelow dot coudl be maximum right rotation and I have to rotate the seering wheel to left or right when I put the steering wheel on.

Now i have a new problem.... the few wires of horn and airbag are connected but when I connect the batery back on and I turn the ignition I get an AIRBAG WARNING :( so I broke it even more now.
Is in German, I think it says "AIRBAG FLEHEN" or soemthing like that. Probably airbag failure. I wonder if this si some error that can be reset or I damaged something because I once turned the ignition without airbag connected.

I guess I will need to buy vag com and a steering sensor (probably used one). I hope I can fix the airbag warning in dashboard with vag com.:(

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
adrianTNT said:
Now i have a new problem.... the few wires of horn and airbag are connected but when I connect the batery back on and I turn the ignition I get an AIRBAG WARNING :( so I broke it even more now.
Is in German, I think it says "AIRBAG FLEHEN" or soemthing like that. Probably airbag failure. I wonder if this si some error that can be reset or I damaged something because I once turned the ignition without airbag connected.

I guess I will need to buy vag com and a steering sensor (probably used one). I hope I can fix the airbag warning in dashboard with vag com.:(
You haven't broken anything. :p

If you turn on the key with the steering wheel airbag disconnected, (or any airbag disconnected for that matter), you will get the airbag fault because the system is looking for the airbag and not finding it. Since it can't see it it assumes it has a fault, or has blown and therefore turns on the indicator light. :(

You will need to have the code cleared to get rid of the light but there really isn't any permanent harm done.:D

adrianTNT

Occams_Razor said:
You will need to have the code cleared to get rid of the light but there really isn't any permanent harm done.:D
:) That was what I thought and hoped :) Thanks. I will clear that error on a service (or buy a vag-com) and then I have to see what is wrong with the sensor (older problem), Tommy (TDIinRI) will give me some details soon, he got same esp errors (besides my airbag warning) and he said he only made some adjustments or something without vag com and then it got rid of the steering sensor errors; It was positioned incorrectly or something.

I guess that is it for now.
Thanks Occams_Razor and Tommy.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
adrianTNT said:
tongsli vbmenu_register("postmenu_1329598", true); , I guess page one was referring to electronic adjustment of the sensor, I also want to know about the correct position and default rotation when you mount the sensor, you said you replaced the sensor, (the one under steering wheel), do you know what is the correct position and rotation when you install that? It has a yellow dot appearing at a certain rotation.

Do you know what should be the default rotation when I put the steering wheel back on?

Thanks.
Adrian.
The canceling ring should be centered. Equal number of revolutions-to-lock turning right OR turning left.

adrianTNT

tongsli said:
The canceling ring should be centered. Equal number of revolutions-to-lock turning right OR turning left.
Thanks, that is what I tried and didnt work, probably my sensor has some problem as the tests indicated. I wil probably change it but I still wait for some speciffic idications from a user beofre I change it.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
adrianTNT said:
No, I didnt, you think that could indicate a problem at sensor?
And that calibration requires Vag-com ?
Well, that link is what I was trying to get you to read on page one.

The sensor MUST be zeroed before it will even think about working properly.

Yes, it requires Vag-com.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
I believe I'm having the same issue with my sensor - I took off the steering wheel during my cluster conversion a couple of months ago and my ESP promptly decided to go on strike upon its reinstallation :p ... I must have slightly turned the sensor while putting the wheel back on. :confused:

My vag-com interface (as well as the corresponding laptop it's getting installed on) arrive Friday. I might be able to give you some insight once I scan my car if all of Lito's information about zeroing the sensor can't help you (although I think it should, since it's the exact same procedure I'll be following when I attempt to fix this bad boy on Saturday).

-mike

adrianTNT

In my case I bought the car with ESP light on and I dont know what happen to the snesor before I got the car, probably the steering wheel was off beacuse I can see other marks of assabling-dissasambling. At service they said the sensor needs replacement but the mechanics are not that good. Let me know what you find after your tests, maybe it will help.
Thanks.

adrianTNT

This is a bit off-topic but anyone knows if vag-com usb interface that I see on ebay for 25-50$ is same thing that ross-tech.com offers for 350$?

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
adrianTNT said:
This is a bit off-topic but anyone knows if vag-com usb interface that I see on ebay for 25-50$ is same thing that ross-tech.com offers for 350$?
I think you'd still need to buy a software license from ross-tech.. dunno, i saw those online and thought about it, but i'm skeptical about buying something like that off ebay.. granted i'm a bit more suspicious than most when it comes to that kinda stuff...

FWIW, I figure either way it'll still pay for itself, so i just ponied up and bought the genuine part.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BlueCTTDi said:
I think you'd still need to buy a software license from ross-tech.. dunno, i saw those online and thought about it, but i'm skeptical about buying something like that off ebay.. granted i'm a bit more suspicious than most when it comes to that kinda stuff...

FWIW, I figure either way it'll still pay for itself, so i just ponied up and bought the genuine part.
Fixing your ESP will be worth the cost of the cable and software

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
BlueCTTDi said:
I believe I'm having the same issue with my sensor - I took off the steering wheel during my cluster conversion a couple of months ago and my ESP promptly decided to go on strike upon its reinstallation :p ... I must have slightly turned the sensor while putting the wheel back on. :confused:

My vag-com interface (as well as the corresponding laptop it's getting installed on) arrive Friday. I might be able to give you some insight once I scan my car if all of Lito's information about zeroing the sensor can't help you (although I think it should, since it's the exact same procedure I'll be following when I attempt to fix this bad boy on Saturday).

-mike
I love vag-com already. Unfortunately, my original hypothesis was incorrect. I did indeed have the sensor lined up (what I thought was) correctly. But let's see. What do you imagine this idiot could have done to get a steering angle range of -180 degrees to +900 degrees from left lock to right lock?

yeah, so I'll be taking off the steering wheel shortly and rotating the sensor one complete revolution.

that'll be one light off the dashboard. now i just have to buy a pass side seat belt buckle to clear the dang airbag light.

the way i see it, this thing just half paid for itself in about an hour. :D

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, so I'll be taking off the steering wheel shortly and rotating the sensor one complete revolution.

that'll be one light off the dashboard.
Actually not quite. I am almost certain that once you get a steering wheel sensor fault you have to realign the sensor using the procedure outlined in Bentley to get it to go away and turn off the light. :p

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Occams_Razor said:
Actually not quite. I am almost certain that once you get a steering wheel sensor fault you have to realign the sensor using the procedure outlined in Bentley to get it to go away and turn off the light. :p
At first I thought I would have to as well, but I took the wheel off, rotated the sensor one revolution, re-attached, cleared the codes out, took it for a ride.. and eureka.. no light! :)

Oh, and that airbag light I had? Yeah, that would be my failure to swap over the passenger side seat belt buckle when I put the Recaros in. That was an expensive little mistake since I had to go find a new buckle.

End result: no ESP light, no airbag light. Yay.

Time to get back to putting my navi harness together. This ought to be a fun evening. :p

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and that airbag light I had? Yeah, that would be my failure to swap over the passenger side seat belt buckle when I put the Recaros in. That was an expensive little mistake since I had to go find a new buckle.
Did you ever finish the memory install, (swapping the seat motors)?

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
nah, that's a summer project coming up... more pressing issues came up (i.e. FIS and navi) :)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Blue_car, I think the previous discussion said that the 02 just needed a recode with vag-com. No chip required.

I bought the parts of the ESP install... and my Bentley details the install of the various parts pretty well. I am going to install the steering wheel sensor and duosensor now and break my brakes later. 1st, where does the duosensor go? The Bentley never said anything about it, and I haven't seen any pictures. Is there already going to be an ABS module in the same spot that just needs to be replaced?
2nd, this ESP dash switch came with its cable cut. How do I wire it up?

Everything else is pretty much plug-n-play (Except for the software coding), right?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
Blue_car, I think the previous discussion said that the 02 just needed a recode with vag-com. No chip required.

I bought the parts of the ESP install... and my Bentley details the install of the various parts pretty well. I am going to install the steering wheel sensor and duosensor now and break my brakes later. 1st, where does the duosensor go? The Bentley never said anything about it, and I haven't seen any pictures. Is there already going to be an ABS module in the same spot that just needs to be replaced?
2nd, this ESP dash switch came with its cable cut. How do I wire it up?

Everything else is pretty much plug-n-play (Except for the software coding), right?
Read the very first post of this thead

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Ok, reread it. Found the pdf, I somehow missed it.
I'm making a shopping list of the little electrical connectors. I gather I need these:

4B0 973 712 Combined Sensor housing
000 979 131 2x Repair wires
3B0 972 742B 4x seals

1J0 972 483A Master cylinder connector for sensor
000 979 009 2x Repair wires
000 979 131 2x Repair wires
3B0 972 742B 3x seals

4B0 971 636 Canceling Ring connector

Why only 2 repair wires for a 4 pinned connector? (combined sensor housing)- shouldn't I need 4 wires?
Why 3 seals for the 4 wires for the master cylinder connector?