ESP - Golf/Jetta/Jetta Wagon/NB 2002-2004

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
So just giving confirmation to my question about the post that you replied with is too hard? I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right amount of wires and connectors before I order them.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Why only 2 repair wires for a 4 pinned connector? (combined sensor housing)- shouldn't I need 4 wires?
You cut the 2 repair wires in half to get 4 terminals for the 4 wires that you need to connect.

Why 3 seals for the 4 wires for the master cylinder connector?
You are only going to use 3 terminals from the 2 different types of repair wires, (1 is bigger than the other).

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
The wires and seals can get kind of pricey but it is the only way to do it right.

Thank people like Lito that research the correct wire numbers. :)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, all the parts are in including the wiring connectors, now I just need to get the tool to release the brake booster.

This is going to sound silly, but, uhm, how do I put the wires, connectors, and seals together? :)
Cut the wires in half, slide the seals on them, and then just shove into the connectors, and then splice it where the wiring diagram says?
Also, I asked before and haven't been able to find any reference... Where does the combined sensor go? Tongsli said it went under the dash, but I can't find a picture or anything of where its supposed to go.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
You'll have to forgive me since I've never used one of these wiring diagrams before or done any such work.
I'm trying to install the wires into their housings.
I ordered 2 repair wires 000 979 009 to go into housing 4B0 971 636 on the cancelling ring. This gives me 4 ends but the housing is a 6 pin housing. On the wiring diagram I think this is page 3, G85 / T6a, right? It says that
T6a/1 : ground
T6a/2 : A122 low bus
T6a/3 : A121 high bus
T6a/4 : A52 positive + connection 30a (fuse)
T6a/5 : A38 positive + connection -2- 15a (fuse)

Well, it looks like I need 5 ends, but I only have 4. Am I missing something? Since 4 and 5 are both positive connections do I only need 1?

Next issue is... no matter how hard I push, I can't get the other wires into their housings, and I really don't know how to properly do this since I can't find my Bentley right now (shush). How do I do this?

Last edited:

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Fortuna Wolf said:

Well, it looks like I need 5 ends, but I only have 4. Am I missing something? Since 4 and 5 are both positive connections do I only need 1?
Woah there, Wolfman!!:)
4 is a battery + feed
5 is an ignition controlled + feed

They are NOT the same!!

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
You'll have to forgive me since I've never used one of these wiring diagrams before or done any such work.
I'm trying to install the wires into their housings.
I ordered 2 repair wires 000 979 009 to go into housing 4B0 971 636 on the cancelling ring. This gives me 4 ends but the housing is a 6 pin housing. On the wiring diagram I think this is page 3, G85 / T6a, right? It says that

Next issue is... no matter how hard I push, I can't get the other wires into their housings, and I really don't know how to properly do this since I can't find my Bentley right now (shush). How do I do this?
\

Please post a picture of your connectors. It has been a long time since I have messed under my steering wheel to remember what they look like. :eek:

Some connectors have a "lock" that you have to remove or release to get the wires to snap in or snap out.

BTW You do need both positive connections as they are for different inputs and the fuse ratings are there for a reason. If you were to connect them both to the 15 amp fuse the 30 amp circuit would probably always be popping it. If you used the 30 amp fuse they probably wouldn't pop but the 15 amp circuit could overload and burn up before you even knew something was going on, (besides the smoke that is).

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I figured the problem out now that I got a good morning's sleep. The seals and wires went into the combined sensor plug pretty easily (I found the plastic lock you were talking about on the plug and removed it), so I figured maybe I was trying to shove the wrong wires into the master cylinder plug.
Turns out that you only need 2x 000 979 131
and 4x 000 979 009. 7 seals is correct. I gotta go out and get myself some wires now.
BTW, I've been searching around and I can't figure out where to mount the combined sensor. Any hints?

Yeah, I'll get all the wires needed for the plugs so I can wire them up to both positive terminals.

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it sort of helps. I -think- I found the mount for it, but it doesn't seem to physically be able to fit there. There's a metal support that is where the sensor seems to want to go. Can someone snap an actual picture for me?
I take it I need to remove the metal valence under the dash too, as well as the steering wheel column if I'm to have enough space to work on this.

Its also particular frustrating that I need 4 more of these wire ends now and everywhere wants like $8 shipping on them. (if you can send me some, please do!)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't have a camera capable of taking a picture with enough detail of something so small.
I need 4 ends (or 2 wires) of 000 979 009. This is a square prism, with one side lengthened so it can only fit into the slot one way. There's a tab next to the lengthened side so it will click into place. It mates with pins rather than blades. The picture of the wire on page 1 is of the other wire that mates with blades.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Fortuna Wolf said:
I don't have a camera capable of taking a picture with enough detail of something so small.
I need 4 ends (or 2 wires) of 000 979 009. This is a square prism, with one side lengthened so it can only fit into the slot one way. There's a tab next to the lengthened side so it will click into place. It mates with pins rather than blades. The picture of the wire on page 1 is of the other wire that mates with blades.
I have 2 ends, (one end is cut off of each), that you can have :D but that will still leave you missing 2 ends. :(

Send me a PM of where you want me to send these 2 ends if you are interested.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
At long last, I am in the middle of this upgrade. It's only been a year plus in the making... Thanks to Lito and others for documenting the process.
I will edit this post as I go along. The patient is my 2003 Jetta Wagon.

I have removed the hydro unit, master cylinder, and brake booster.
I've installed the new brake booster and master cylinder, and I'm about to put in the hydro unit.

But, before I do, it looks like there is some tinkering to be done with the T47a connector, and before I install the hydro unit, I should do that now for space reasons.

From reading the diagram, it appears I need to add the following wires to T47a:

and relocate 14 to 12.

Does that sound right? It also looks like I need to run one wire to the ESP switch from T47a, and 3 to the combo sensor.

Here's what I have from the diagrams.

ESP button
1-grey/blue, to dimmer
2-brown, to ground
5-grey/black, to A132 in dash, T47a/13
6-black/grey, to fuse 9 (5A)

Steering angle sender
1-brown, ground
2-orange/brown, to A122 (low bus)
3-orange/black, to A121 (high bus)
4-red/purple, to A52 (30A +)
5-black/grey, to fuse 9 (A38)

Combo sender
1-yellow/purple, to T47a/6
2-yellow/green, to T47a/25
3-brown, to T47a/24
4-white/yellow, to T47a/29

Brake pressure sender on MC
1-black, to T47a/19
2-grey, to T47a/20
3-blue, to T47a/18

Wiring tasks:
* Relocated T47a/14 to T47a/12.
* 4 wires are run from T47a to the combo switch.
* The tap wire is run from T47a to the ESP dash switch. That makes 5 wires total which are run into the car via the grommet on the firewall.
* The 3 break pressure sender (on the master cylinder) wires go to T47a.

I'm hoping to complete the mechanical stuff today so I can drive the car tomorrow, then figure out the wiring later, but I decided to pause to see if I should do some of the wiring now, this assuming I have the right repair wires around...

Thanks!

Last edited:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Ah, good catch on T47a/24 - it is not ground, as I had assumed.
I corrected the summary above.

Fortunately, I discovered around 8 of the repair wires in my toolbox, so I have plenty left!

So, to summarize - add 7 wires to T47a, plus one tap wire.
4 wires are run from T47a to the combo switch.
The tap wire is run from T47a to the ESP dash switch.
The 3 break pressure sender (on the master cylinder) wires go to T47a.

I can't tell from the photo above if the remaining T47a wires for combo sender get tapped inside the car, or out, but I think it's inside.
I will double check shortly.

One point to note -the sender on the MC that I received was wired with colors that are not the ones I noted above. I followed the pinout in the diagram and assume it will be fine, but worth mentioning.

Last edited:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Update...
I've run all the wires from T47a inside the car, and buttoned up that connector. I then installed the hydro unit, but have not completed all the lines yet, because I needed to refer back to my pictures to confirm the order of the lines.

My plan tomorrow night is to complete the lines, flush and bleed the brake system, and get the wheels back on the car so my neighbors can stop thinking I'm white trash :) At some other point this week, time permitting, I will install the steering angle sender, and complete the wiring inside the car, then the VAGCOM fun begins.

To those comtemplating this project, who perhaps read my earlier ASR install post - this is a lot, lot more work than just swapping hydro units on the ASR. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram in almost a year, so I'm being very slow and careful, but still. Don't underestimate the size of this project.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Did you see the box underneath? Did you take the top lid off? It's there. However, the car in the Vortex post is an older, pre2002 vehicle.

After 2002, they went with a single large wiring grimmet. You will not have two as the Vortex post shows.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Under the hood work is completed, and the car is mobile, much to my neighbors' delight. I have to install the combo sender and steering wheel sender, and finish the inside wiring.

I still dont have a good view of where the combo box goes, even with the bentley printout. Does anyone have a better image?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
danix said:
Under the hood work is completed, and the car is mobile, much to my neighbors' delight. I have to install the combo sender and steering wheel sender, and finish the inside wiring.

I still dont have a good view of where the combo box goes, even with the bentley printout. Does anyone have a better image?
To the right of the CCM on the steering colum support. There will be three holes. One for the center bolt and two on either side for the pins on the sensor bracket.

The sensor sits level and plumb.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I was looking on the wrong side of the column.
I took some pictures which I will post later.

I did find the connector under the wiper cowl, once I removed the motor.
It is in fact the white connector, but when you use the wires on the lower half of the connector, they are a different color (orange/brown becomes white, orange/black becomes black, this from memory - I will check it later).

I've got the combo sensor installed, and wired. All that remains is to pull the airbag and steering wheel and install the steering sensor, but first I have to figure out where the remaining 2 wires for that sensor go (constant and switched power I think).

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, I have an interesting dash alert light on. Looks like an ! with a circular arrow around it. I'm guessing it's telling me I have to calibrate the combo sender.

I also somehow managed to lose my outside temp sensor reading. Wonder if I just jostled it when removing the cowl. Sigh.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
That is the ESP indicator.

If it is on when you are stopped it means that the ESP is turned off.

If it flashes while you are driving it means you are having too much fun! :D

danix said:
Oh, I have an interesting dash alert light on. Looks like an ! with a circular arrow around it. I'm guessing it's telling me I have to calibrate the combo sender.

I also somehow managed to lose my outside temp sensor reading. Wonder if I just jostled it when removing the cowl. Sigh.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I haven't enabled anything yet.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I am done with all the mechanical and electrical work.
Buttoned up the car, and went to calibrate it.

Did a very slow figure 8, triggering the dash lights.
Then, ensured the wheels were straight. Lights stayed on.
(Should I not touch the wheel once the lights go on? Kind of hard when you are making a figure 8 on a public road!)

Fired up vagcom, went to ABS controller, did login with code 40168.
Basic settings, group 60. Clicked on/off/next, and get "group 060 not available" instead of the expected OK.
Measuring blocks show the value of the steering sensor is -366.01 deg.

I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what.
My soft coding is still the same - 0019970. I'm not exactly sure what the new coding should be either, even after looking at the wiki entry above.
I'm guessing 19458 is correct, but I'm not sure. I suspect the current coding is what came with the used parts, and not the old value for my car (which should have been 0004097 according to the chart).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Key on/engine off
VAG-COM basic settings, group 093.
Get out of V-C.
Start car
Press the brake pedal real hard until the ESP light flashes
Now drive the figure 8 at 15-30 km/h.

19458 should be the coding.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks MOgolf, will give it a shot shortly.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Well... this stuff is confusing.
MOGolf's procedure definitely triggers the test.
However, no amount of stepping on the brake makes the dash light flash.
However - after around 6 attempts, I did get the brake warning light to go away, and verified that the test was over (if it's still active, it shows up as an error in the controller).

Right now this is what I have for errors:
VAG-COM Version: Release 607.3-UD
gtisport.com
Control Module Part Number:
Component and/or Version:
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
2 Faults Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Mechanical error - I don't buy that. I see the settings change when I go into measuring blocks, and move the wheel. The problem is that I can't get it adapted back to 0 for some reason.

Also, I cannot recode the controller to 19548. It takes it, but has no effect. I am logging in with 40168. should I be using something else?

For dash lights, I have only the ESP light lit solid.

Had an interesting experience while doing this. I went to the local Costco, where I figured the lot would be empty. Ended up getting harrassed by some large guy with a German accent (LEAVE ZE LOT NOW!) who threatened to call the cops. Went to complain to someone in the store, and it turns out he's security. Pity he didn't identify himself as such.
Then some latino guy gave me the finger... what a night.

I'll give it a shot in the morning if anyone has any other ideas.