Any BRM's make it past the 100K mile mark?

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
40X40 said:
There is an oil company advert that comes to mind at the moment and it quite appropriate.

Think with your dipstick, Jerry!

Bill
Very nice! I about squirted milk out my nose! :D

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
jerry_m said:
That's correct, actual capacity is 4.5 qt. ;) And if you suck out oil from the cooler then it's more :) I think that the best way to do an oil change on your car is DIY and not trust someone trusted :D
I have ALH & BRM. I buy 6L for each and use about 5.5 (I have BP on both).

If I don't change the BP, I use about 4.5L and change the OEM filter.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
jerry_m said:
That's correct, actual capacity is 4.5 qt. ;) And if you suck out oil from the cooler then it's more :) I think that the best way to do an oil change on your car is DIY and not trust someone trusted :D

Where's the middle finger icon...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Jason, it's right here (with thumb sticking out)

...|./

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
jasonTDI said:
Where's the middle finger icon...
Another ROFLMAO moment.
How many TB's have you done Jason? Over 2000? I trust you to change my oil. :D

Oh & that dipstick commercial sux. I get goose bumps every time I hear that slapping sound. I guess the person that came up with that commercial didn't have a willow tree in their yard as a kid if you know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
ohhh...you had to mention the willow tree thing.....Shudder....Da** older kids in the neighborhood....Tae kwon do came in handy when I started taking it in 7th grade.

Yep, about 2000 or so. Filled the calender for next week with 4 timing belts and some other work just this morning.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
jerry_m said:
I think that the best way to do an oil change on your car is DIY and not trust someone trusted :D
There is a sense of knowing one's car better when they change their own oil, but it's not for everyone, so if they trust someone to change their oil, more power to em... But, usually the people that have their oil changed bring it somewhere that doesn't know what they're doing... But I would certainly trust any tdi guru around here...

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Back on the original topic. My 2006 Jetta passed the 100K mile mark on Monday. Had metalman replace the timing belt this morning.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
berks_tom said:
Back on the original topic. My 2006 Jetta passed the 100K mile mark on Monday. Had metalman replace the timing belt this morning.
How did the belt look? Did you know you went 20k over on the suggested change interval for it? (I did mine at 90k and I didn't know until my mechanic pointed it out, BRMs are for whatever reason 80k change interval cam belts)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I tell everyone to go 100k on the PDs too. They all look just like a new belt, and I have only ever even heard of ONE PD having an issue before 100k.

VW's PM schedules have so many contradictions it can be confusing to keep track of that stuff.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
oilhammer said:
I tell everyone to go 100k on the PDs too. They all look just like a new belt, and I have only ever even heard of ONE PD having an issue before 100k.

VW's PM schedules have so many contradictions it can be confusing to keep track of that stuff.
Good info.
I did mine at 95k, and my mechanic suggested not going past that. He had seen two BRM timing belt's fail at 80k.
He did say mine looked new when he took it out though.
I'll go 100k on this one.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
kcfoxie said:
How did the belt look? Did you know you went 20k over on the suggested change interval for it? (I did mine at 90k and I didn't know until my mechanic pointed it out, BRMs are for whatever reason 80k change interval cam belts)
Interesting, My '06.5 Jetta TDi Special Edition owners manual states to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Mine came out at 100K. Looked new. I have no doubts that my new Gates belt will go 100K too.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
jerry_m said:
It's possible that a 'fact on paper' is different from a 'fact in real life'. But at least 'on paper' BRM calls for 4.5 quarts what I'd say is 'normal' for a flat tappet PD. PDs with roller followers call for 4 quarts 'on paper' I guess to fill them takes even less.
Thank you so much for keeping on this track jerry. I now understand so much more about soot levels than ever before. I have looked at posted OA reports and wondered why the soot content seemed to stay so regular. The oil changes leave so much oil in the PD engine. I had no thought of all the hidden oil that was in the engine till you kept pushing the issue. If we were to get the engine to a dry state it would actually require quite a bit of oil.

Owner one makes sure to get the engine quite warm, let it drip for 10 minutes, and clean out the oil filter cannister and maybe even blow out the oil cooler (probably not) etc. He gets most of the soot out.

Owner two just changes the oil luke warm and leaves no telling how much oil clinging to the inside of the engine. A lot of soot remains in the engine.

Then we argue about how much oil it takes to change the oil. The dipstick may give you an answer but quantity is also an issue. Jerry has a point. How much oil is supposed to be changed? If you get a fill with less oil then maybe you are not draining enough oil out of the engine. The engine may need to be warmer or let drip longer or something I am even not thinking about.

If you get a super drain and throw in 5W-30 oil your viscosity is way low.
If you use 5W-40 oil the viscosity may be higher.

If you get a poor drain your 5W-30 oil if fortified with soot and you actually have higher viscosity oil to start with. If you use 5W-40 oil you really have a good high viscosity oil. Soot fortified oil is a high viscosity oil. IMHO

Look at those OAs again and see where you fall. Which is best? I lean toward a good clean drain and 5W-40 oil.

And to apply all this to BRM failure, which oil changes are really having something to do with the mileages you get out of the BRM engine? The worst mileage may be the 5W-30 super clean oil change done at 7,000 miles US. That would leave a super low viscosity oil. The BEW at least had 5W-40 oil most of its life.

All the chatter aside this was a good sharing conversation you all had. Thanks again jerry it would have not happened without your keeping on.

eddif

Last edited:

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
kcfoxie said:
According to my manual, and what I remember from looking at the Bentley book, the change interval for a 2006 is 100K miles. The belt itself looked fine-- no visible wear or cracking. The serpentine belt looked in good shape also.

According to Dennis, the larger worry is the rollers.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
So according to you this isn't like 60's style detroit planned obsolescence? Right? No, VW is sooo much better than that. You are happy with the cam defects, they are just normal wear. And how dare I think VW is lying. Why I've got so much better reliability than say a 63 Chevy I should be delighted. And so the car costs 10 times more, I've got that rugged diesel that lasts maybe 100k if it's not F.O.R.D a lot sooner.

40X40 said:
Wow, that was intelligent. Earlier this year someone on the forums was claiming a 100% fail rate on PD cams.

Obviously a false statement, wouldn't you agree?

If my cams (two cars) fail, I will replace them at that time. Cars break down, it is just a fact of life.

I don't foresee a need to post threats of lawsuits even if they do fail.....

If you really are serious about having a 'Franko6' job done on your car, you need to call FRANK himself... his number is in his signature.

Bill

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
ssamalin said:
So according to you this isn't like 60's style detroit planned obsolescence? I did not say that. Right? No, VW is sooo much better than that. NOR that. You are happy with the cam defects, they are just normal wear. I did not say I was happy And how dare I think VW is lying. I don't know. How do you dare? Why I've got so much better reliability than say a 63 Chevy I should be delighted. And so the car costs 10 times more, I've got that rugged diesel that lasts maybe 100k if it's not F.O.R.D a lot sooner.

You seem to be very unhappy with both your car and the company that made it. why not go buy a car you like from a company you can respect? I was around 63 Chevys when they were new and you are right, they weren't much. You could buy a better house for $20,000 dollars then than you can for $200,000 now... Todays cars might cost 10 times as much, but they last considerably longer than they did in 1963. And they are so much safer now than 1963 that it is almost a miracle...

Bill

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
What about that 1964 Comet Caliente that the original owner has put some 550,000 miles on?

I somehow don't think it's any less a special story / fact of life than my dad's 86 Golf 1.6L NA that has about the same number of miles, but we're the third owners of this particular vehicle. Didn't VW find someone with a 500k mile MkII Diesel for their Diesel Heritage campaign that was the original owner?

I think any car is reliable as long as you're willing to work with it. That said, I do think the 5th generation VW has far less mechanical overdesign and an explicit lifespan compared to the 3rd and 4th generation vehicles.

Or put another way; VW claimed a set life span for the car but it always exceeded it. Today it seems they've managed to make it meet that lifepsn but not necessarily exceed it. But with a conscious driver, it can go forever and ever.

Like the 64 Comet, like the 86 Golf, like a 97 Civic that's had the frame bent back to shape 4 times now .... if you love it, you'll make it last.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got slimed by VW customer care, they deny it and blame me at the same time. I just think we as customers if we organized could get VW to be better corporate citizens. If VW would for instance make it clear to dealers that they will do what they can to cover the costs of defects such as DMF or cam, it would make this a lot easier to cope with. They don't have to recall to do that. It basically would be an implicit retroactive warranty extension. People with these problems wouldn't be ripped off just because they didn't know or couldn't come up with warranty reimbursed costs. The latter of which I am still suffering from.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
ssamalin said:
I just got slimed by VW customer care, they deny it and blame me at the same time. I just think we as customers if we organized could get VW to be better corporate citizens. If VW would for instance make it clear to dealers that they will do what they can to cover the costs of defects such as DMF or cam, it would make this a lot easier to cope with. They don't have to recall to do that. It basically would be an implicit retroactive warranty extension. People with these problems wouldn't be ripped off just because they didn't know or couldn't come up with warranty reimbursed costs. The latter of which I am still suffering from.

Now you want to organize us as a united front against VW?? That is over the top and unnecessary.

Welcome to my ignored list.

Bill

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry. I'm not refering to anyone in particular and I'm sorry if I offended you. I do think that yes consumers and other advocates have used twitter and etc to great affect. Why can't we use twitter to organize consumer advocacy such as petitions and other effective means of communicating our needs and complaints to VW such as about the cam issue. Why not?

40X40 said:
Now you want to organize us as a united front against VW?? That is over the top and unnecessary.

Welcome to my ignored list.

Bill

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The vast majority of the engines last longer than the warranty period. If the failure happens under powertrain warranty, it is (or should be) covered. If the failure happens outside warranty, it's not their problem any more.

There is no mechanical system ever built that will last forever. Something will always wear out or break eventually. In the case of these engines, the camshaft and lifters are the weak point ... but again, most of them last longer than warranty and the ones that don't, are covered.

Issue is overblown IMO.

By the way, as a businessperson, there are some customers who are not worth serving (I'm sure every other businessperson can relate to this!). Are you one of those?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Because it is well-known VOA will simply ignore all of that. Besides, I am not sure your cam issue is going to be as wide spread as it would need to be for them to lift a finger to be real truthful.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
furthurmore, a recall only applies to a safety related item, such as a brake light switch, or an airbag.... a worn cam is a PITA

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
If cam issue is not widespread as it was thought at the beginning then it's more likely that bad desing or oiling is not the root factor causing the failures. It *might* depend on driver, fuel, climate, oil, trips, traffic conditions etc...

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
jerry_m said:
If cam issue is not widespread as it was thought at the beginning then it's more likely that bad desing or oiling is not the root factor causing the failures. It *might* depend on driver, fuel, climate, oil, trips, traffic conditions etc...
I think all of that has a lot to do with it.

jasonTDI

TDI
I don't thinks so. Why do I have failures in such vastly different driven cars then? It's all over the place.

Sam, You said the extended warranty company was paying the bill?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
To counter you point jason, I've done all the things that SHOULD have caused cam failure (unapproved fuel, chipped, hard driven, used as delivery vehicle for an extended period, extended idling, 10k changes, potential oil dilution, non approved engine oils) and my car is running fine, I have some scoring that was noted at 90k but nothing to the level of "that needs to come out NOW" like the 60-100k mile cars that were "bupping."

I think the key factor is environmental variables that we can't control nor fully predict, which is why it's all over the map.

But everyone's agreement, my car should be toast. It's not. I'm even at a loss as to why. I'm just driving it till it breaks for real.