Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
The problem with the trade in..I didn't buy my car because it was a VW..I bought it because it was a TDI. I don't want a gas VW.

transmit

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (sunroof + NAV)
The problem with the trade in..I didn't buy my car because it was a VW..I bought it because it was a TDI. I don't want a gas VW.

Same situation here. What I'm really hoping is that they re-certify the 2016 TDIs and give us $$/credit to apply to a tradeup for a new TDI. I'd buy a BMW diesel before I get a VW gasser.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I really think we need to be concerned about NOx. It makes smog which is why I have trouble seeing the buildings across town. And if anyone says that it's because I'm getting old, you can suck it.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Bizzle, I have driven the eGolf and I really like it. Do check out the Fiat 500E as it is less money and still lots of fun. There are several lowered 500e's around my neighborhood that look great. I haven't tried but I have heard the Kia Soul EV is very nice and it does have a longer range than the eGolf. Oh yeah, the Chevy Spark is super fast and less expensive than the eGolf. Just sayin' you might try a few others (maybe you already have).
Are you sure those two are less expensive when all is said and done?

Their lease terms didn't seem as attractive once I factor in the $2,000 dollar loyalty bonus.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
All this BS about being "made whole" reminds me of the golf match between Judge Smails and Al Cervik at the end of Caddyshack. A bunch of sleezeballs trying to hustle a buck they don't deserve.

It was funny in the movie. It just looks kind of pathetic here.
As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My dealer has said they know as much as we know. Nothing more. It's interesting how some know nothing and some know something!
<snip>
Your last sentence perfectly encapsulates my seventy-one years of dealing with members of Homo sapiens.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
I really think we need to be concerned about NOx. It makes smog which is why I have trouble seeing the buildings across town. And if anyone says that it's because I'm getting old, you can suck it.
That is only a problem in a handful of urban areas in the US. This is like saying we should ban backyard BBQs across the nation because of the Cali wildfires.

I care about the environment. I care about air quality. But I also cherish common sense and critical thinking, which isn't exactly a hallmark of you folks in Portlandia. If you think the number of EA189 and EA288 VW diesels local to you is responsible for the air quality in your area, you should put down the bong.

As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
"I demand satisfaction!" - Judge Smails

"I'll tell ya what's satisfying: Cash!" - Al Cervik

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Uh, where are the gorts????????????????????
This is wayyyyy over the line here.....
the beave

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Who said the SCR system won't be covered by the legislated EPA 10 year warranty?
How do you know its 10 years and 10-years from when? No mileage limit? I have seen 80k/8-years....but in this case, its not that simple....many of us have over 100k miles.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
My dealer has said they know as much as we know. Nothing more. It's interesting how some know nothing and some know something!
I would guess that some dealers don't want to say anything until VW makes it official. Others are willing to tell us what they are hearing through the grapevine.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
That is only a problem in a handful of urban areas in the US. This is like saying we should ban backyard BBQs across the nation because of the Cali wildfires.

I care about the environment. I care about air quality. But I also cherish common sense and critical thinking, which isn't exactly a hallmark of you folks in Portlandia. If you think the number of EA189 and EA288 VW diesels local to you is responsible for the air quality in your area, you should put down the bong.
This post is so full of fail.

First, I'm not in Portland, I'm in Bend and Bend is far, far removed from Portland geologically, politically, visually, sensibly, weatherly, beautifully, socially, emotionally and many more adverbs that I can't think of right now.

Second, my post was a joke that I stol... I mean borrowed from the comics page. Check out the October 29 strip of Candorville.

Third, I don't Poke Smot.

Lastly, Bongs are so 1980s.

PS: there are a few jokes in my reply. Feel free to guess what they are.

Now you got me thinking about if the pot smokers are contributing to NOx. Probably not when they smoke it since it takes much higher temperatures. Although, they are contributing, just not directly. Indoor growing operations require alot of electricity to power the operation, quite a bit of that power for those operations comes from coal, therefore, they are contributing to NOx.

Last edited by a moderator:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
What part of math and science do you not understand?
They're math is wrong. These cars aren't running around spewing 40X the amounts of NOx 100% of the time. Don't tell me you fell for that **** did you? Sure these cars can pollute 40X the legal amount during very specific times but they're using worse case scenario, ALL the time. Sure sounds like great math and science to me!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
They're math is wrong. These cars aren't running around spewing 40X the amounts of NOx 100% of the time. Don't tell me you fell for that **** did you? Sure these cars can pollute 40X the legal amount during very specific times.
Yes, going uphill, under load, with at least several hundred pounds of analytical instrumentation and two or three technicians in the car…

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Please check my post #10599.
gotcha and sorry.......;)

I'm still new here so feel free to smack me around the room a couple of times so I can get some tire treads on my back while listening to 'Crosstown Traffic' at very loud levels. :D

Now, is it true that everybody living in bend does NOT pmoke Sot??
So are they 'Vaping' then???
I was just curious.........

and i still say that whomever wants to go overboard on TDI's about emissions better FIRST go after all those older Diesel trucks that have been poring over from Mexico into the US with NO regulation at all. I can SMELL their stink from 1/2 a mile away.......
and nobody makes any mention of it anymore,
except for.....h.mmmmm......
me.:eek:

the beave

hey and happy FRIEDAY to you all!!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. Lots of pot in town. I can smell the crop across the street quite often. Across the street where they are using coal power to grow which is spewing NOx (Somewhere in Wyoming).

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
This post is so full of fail.

First, I'm not in Portland, I'm in Bend and Bend is far, far removed from Portland geologically, politically, visually, sensibly, weatherly, beautifully, socially, emotionally and many more adverbs that I can't think of right now.

Second, my post was a joke that I stol... I mean borrowed from the comics page. Check out the October 29 strip of Candorville.

Third, I don't Poke Smot.

Lastly, Bongs are so 1980s.

PS: there are a few jokes in my reply. Feel free to guess what they are.

Now you got me thinking about if the pot smokers are contributing to NOx. Probably not when they smoke it since it takes much higher temperatures. Although, they are contributing, just not directly. Indoor growing operations require alot of electricity to power the operation, quite a bit of that power for those operations comes from coal, therefore, they are contributing to NOx.
So you can relate to what it is like when you say you're from Michigan and people ask you what it's like to live in Detroit.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
lawyers

So I got another little card in the mail soliciting my participation in law suit. A part of me is saying I'd be a fool not to participate. There is another part of me (the stronger half) telling me to stay away since I am not unhappy with the car and have no plans to sell it. I figure I deserve a $1500-$2000 payment from VW. That's about it. But if I join the class action, I may end up with 10% of that...$150-$200, and the lawyer(s) will end up with 90%.

VW needs to get in front of this with an offer. I'd happily sign away the right to suit immediately if offered a modest cash settlement from VW.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So you can relate to what it is like when you say you're from Michigan and people ask you what it's like to live in Detroit.
Absolutely. Here's the sad part about it. When I was in the Army anytime I heard someone say that they were from Oregon, I asked them where and they almost always said "Portland" regardless of where they were from. One guy actually lived in Medford which is almost 300 miles away. And if you drove that in a CR TDI, you would have about 250 miles of easy driving where your NOx footprint was pretty small, but when climbing the Siskiyous you could be putting out up to 40X as much as the Gov't allowed.

(See how I kept it on topic. :) )

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
So they're putting together a "Customer goodwill" program? I sure hope it's good for customers that have been screwed over by the value loss if we tried to sell. We'll see what they come up with in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.