MN Chat Thread

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
There is a very low mileage 2003 Jetta for sale in Lakeville on CL if anyone is looking. I hope to make the next GTG to meet you guys.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
G2g

So, the G2G. I can do any weekend except for Saturday the 14th (of August, the 15th might be ok depending on how much I drink and whether my wife goes to Lake Vermilion with me and where the G2G happens)

At the G2G, I would like to accomplish a few things that are on my to do list:
Check/Adjust the Torsion Value (Group 004 Block 4) to 0 at hot idle
While Vag-Com is hooked up: set doors to Auto-Unlock on key removal
Fuel Filter Change/Upgrade + Inline Pre-filter
and, if I haven't already gotten to it, Replace the Metal Trim Piece on the Right Rear Door.

Actually that list is more of "what I need to do at some point".
The trim piece is necessary (it bent back about an inch from the front of the door and managed to scrape back the front door trim and muck up the paint right behind that).
I think the Fuel Filter is necessary because it's at about 20k and the car has issues with cruise control below 65mph (feels like misfire, when that happens we can floor it and get a nice little puff of smoke and it clears up for a bit). I've been running PowerService in nearly every tank and go out of my way to find Premium Diesel (or BP with Powerblend or whatever it is).
I really need to invest in a Vag-Com. I own 2 2000+ VWs, I have friends with 2000+ Audis and VWs. Speaking of friends, I need to convince one of them that a tdi can be as much fun as anyone needs for a street car even without AWD (he's got his heart set on a B5S4, which the other friend owns).

Anyway, the next few weekends for the mental calendar challenged:
7/24,25
7/31,8/1
8/7,8 (Cars & Cafe on Saturday Morning near Eden Prairie if anyone is interested)
8/14,15 (the bad one for me)
8/21,22
8/28,9

GlenB4

TDI
06 Jetta / 02 Jetta
I took a deposit today from a guy who is buying my 97 passat, the timing belt is due in 8000 miles, I told him I would get some quotes from local tdi gurus, so if you are in the twin cities area and have the tools to change a B4 timing belt send me a quote and I'll pass it on to the new owner. Thanks!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Sweet. Bring it to the GTG.
Sounds good. I am thinking drive the car up on my ramps. Jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands. Either borrow or buy one of those cool multiwheeled cutters to cut the exhaust; or use my Sawzall.

I am thinking of leaving the back end of the exhaust on for now.

Do you think I need to replace the turbo flange gasket?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Do you think I need to replace the turbo flange gasket?[/QUOTE]

Get one & do it! That just eliminates the possibility of leaks. Sure you might get the old one to seal but they don't cost much. I need to do a little trimming on my pipe too so if you get one of those multi wheel cutters I'll chip in one it. It's a cleaner cut than the Sawzall.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, just buy the gasket Chris.

What do you need to trim Richard?
Remember how the pipe was off center at the hanger behind the cat? When I pull it to center it moves the tail pipe left & the hangers sometimes pull out of the rubber. I need to trim a fraction of an inch off the offset to bring the tail pipe back. I've got it set in a compromise now but I get an annoying rattle from the center hanger at idle. I have a nice quality SS clamp to rejoin the pipe.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Either borrow or buy one of those cool multiwheeled cutters to cut the exhaust; or use my Sawzall.
You mean one of these?

I have one, worked well on the stock exhaust. You are welcome to use it. Doesn't work on stainless steel if you need to do any cutting to the new exhaust.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Well if the stock exhaust is stainless, why was my old exhaust so rusty? Even if it was 409 stainless it shouldn't rust that much.

All I know is, it cut through the stock exhaust quite well, tried it real quick on a chunk of 304 stainless and it didn't leave a mark.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Hey Nick,
The wife and daughter are going out of town for the weekend. I night dig into cleaning the intake on the AHU. Do you know off the top of your head the parts I will need?

Thanks!
David

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well if the stock exhaust is stainless, why was my old exhaust so rusty? Even if it was 409 stainless it shouldn't rust that much.

All I know is, it cut through the stock exhaust quite well, tried it real quick on a chunk of 304 stainless and it didn't leave a mark.
Maybe then I will buy a new one and also bring my Sawzall. At the GTG where I saw it used it did take quite a while to cut through the stainless too. Or maybe get cut off wheels for my Dremel......

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Make sure you have plenty of blades. I burned through one Torch blade just cutting the transition cone off my catback. That stainless is tough stuff. I'll bring mine with too as backup.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure you have plenty of blades. I burned through one Torch blade just cutting the transition cone off my catback. That stainless is tough stuff. I'll bring mine with too as backup.
I'd better toss mine in the trunk too.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Well, I got one of my myriad of project done today (this one on my 1.8t), and the best part is, I have left over parts and the engine bay looks much cleaner:

Actually, I was getting a CEL from the secondary air injection and decided to simply remove it. After getting the bracket off and disconnecting the hardlines, I found out that the vac line off the intake manifold was hanging by a thread. I hadn't planned to reconnect all this crap and made a direct connection to the DV and blocked off the combi valve vac line. Anyone have an SAI blockoff plate for a 1.8T laying around?

A fresh line to the DV makes a helluva difference. Maybe I should replace that too.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Are you going to get a chip to turn the CEL off? I've been thinking about this inevitability with our 1.8T since the SAI pump sounds like a jet about to take off. I really like how much it cleans the engine bay up.

David,
You can reuse the gaskets and bolts but it is good insurance to have an impex kit (new gaskets and bolts) on-hand in case you round out one of the allen heads.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I found a new benefit to having removed that crap and routing a new vac line: my engine finally has come back to normal warm up speed. It used to take 7+ minutes of driving for the coolant temp to get to the mark. This morning it took a whopping 3. Why the hell didn't I do that sooner? Unfortunately the 20 miles of "ooh turbo again" last night ruined my chance of a 400+ mile tank of precious BP93.

Oh, and those two flexible hoses in the engine bay shot will be disappearing when I actually take the pump out tonight (even cleaner).

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd better toss mine in the trunk too.
I will also bring my 12 inch miter saw with a metal cutoff wheel in it. I was talking about cutting 304 with another engineer and he piped up that he had a cutoff wheel that fits a 12 inch miter saw. So off the car this will work great, and Jeff's tool will cut off the exhaust in the car. Of course I will bring my Sawzall as a back up with a couple of Torch blades.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Just finished cleaning the intake on the 98.. once I got it out, it wasn't actually that clogged. Nothing like some of the pictures I have seen. There was about 1/8 of an inch of greasy carbon in it. Lots of scraping with a wooden dowel, a couple of hours of soaking in some Simple Green, and it was pretty shiny! I gave it a once over with brake cleaner for good luck. I pulled the valve cover and made sure the intake valves were closed, scraped the best I could blew it out with the air compressor, shot brake cleaner in , then blew that our with the air compressor.
I did replace the intake gasket with a new one, $5.23 at NAPA.
She fired up, a little white smoke for about 15 seconds and all seems good. I took a drive to check it out, once it was warmed up ran it up to 5 k in 3rd gear. It still seemed to cut out at about 4800 rpm. Not really an issue for me.. I very seldom punch it anyway.
its about a 5 hour job... not difficult, but very DIRTY and time consuming.
So I think all I have left is to clean the intercooler......

Last edited:

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
I took a drive to check it out, once it was warmed up ran it up to 5 k in 3rd gear. It still seemed to cut out at about 4800 rpm. Not really an issue for me.. I very seldom punch it anyway.
I can't say that you would get enough fuel without an 11mm pump and a lift pump pair with big injectors to get "power" up there anyways.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You won't have the same gunk in your intercooler - it'll just be oily. It's not really necessary to clean it out but if you're bored...

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Leppy, How's the schedule for the G2G looking. I'll be getting a knee repaired on the 11th so it would be good for me to have it before then. I'm not sure how many weeks it will take before I'll be able to operate a clutch.