www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 15th, 2009, 18:21   #1
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default How to: replace metal door trim piece

A few of us have had the rear door trim piece come loose at the front edge. Opening the rear door causes the trim to catch on the front door and bend.

Here's how to fix:

Obtain the replacement part. 3B0 853 753 D GRU (left) or 3B0 853 754 D GRU (right).

It is two pieces. The metal piece that needs to be replaced, and the part that needs to be painted before installing on the car. If you follow these instructions you will only use the metal piece.

Obtain trim mounting tape. If you can find tape 1/2 the width of this, use it. I applied the tape and used a utility knife to cut it down to the needed width.

Apply the tape to the back side of the metal piece. It will take the place of the tape pre-installed on the primed plastic piece (not used) as seen along the top edge of the piece. Trim the tape to the required width.

Pull off the bent trim piece straight away from the door. It leaves the old tape on the car. You need to clean that off.
Old July 15th, 2009, 18:22   #2
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default Installation

I used a sturdy thumbnail protected by a rag and adhesive cleaner such as this.

I soaked the old tape with the cleaner and scraped with nail/rag. Note the cleaned area on the left vs. the old tape on the right. Be careful not to remove/damage paint, or get the adhesive cleaner down behind the painted trim piece. You'll have smooth black plastic once the old tape is removed. Wash thoroughly to remove any remaining cleaner.

Now the easy part. Peel off the paper from the trim tape and apply trim to the car. I noticed that the trim piece extends to an area of no contact on that edge that had bent on the old piece. I added a couple of layers of small pieces of trim tape there to secure that edge better (I hope).

Long term results are not yet determined.
Old July 16th, 2009, 17:34   #3
Chanley

you are AWESOME! thank you, I needed this.
Chanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:28   #4
markmc90

How about the upper trim piece on the door. The one just below the window. Mine has come loose on the ends and is no longer straight.
markmc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 16:19   #5
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Front door or back door?
Old July 15th, 2010, 17:40   #6
VWSHPFRMN

I also like to use 3M adhesion promoter along with the 3M tape. This stuff works wonders when used together.
VWSHPFRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 13:45   #7
markmc90

Back door.
markmc90 is offline   Reply With Quote