Help - what's that ticking sound?!

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I think I first figured out the oil-in-WG-actuator issue back in 2011... took several other acts before I went looking for that. I don't recall if I ever had to do it over again. I suppose you could put a drip-leg of sorts into the line so that any oil seepage would not make its way to the actuator. Now that I am B4-less, the cavuum operated VNT on my B5 doesn't have the same issue - just several others... :-(
The devil you know, right? That's one reason I'm pretty set on keeping a B4. I've got 8 years experience keeping one running, doesn't take long to diagnose most issues at this point. Lol

It was actually your post in a thread from 2012 that gave me the idea to clean it out! So thanks for the wisdom 11 years later. 🫡

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Just wanted to give a quick update for everyone. I managed to find some old threads where fluctuating boost was an issue and cleaning out the wastegate solved it. This was apparently my problem all along. I checked the wastegate arm and it mooved smooth and freely, but the wastegate itself had a bunch of oil buildup. The nipple was just big enough for a plastic spray tube, and I filled it up with brake cleaner three times and blew it out with compressed air in between. Burpod is still helping me out with a custom tune because the Malone Stg 3 isn't mapped very well, but thankfully the overboost code seems to be tied strictly to a dirty wastegate actuator.
Four months later, still no 00575 codes. I'm dealing with a bunch of boost spikes/dips again and wanted to document it somewhere. This is what it looks like when logged and plotted:

boost plot.jpg

It's hard to keep a good memory of how things used to look when you have a problem like this that comes on slowly. I tried a few different ECU tunes and none of them really changed anything. I unplugged the boost hose connected to the wastegate actuator for testing purposes, and the spikes stopped altogether although it obviously overboosted quite a bit.

This morning I swapped out my relatively new Pierberg N75 with an old VW/Audi N75 I had stored back. Although the spiking isn't completely gone it's mostly smooth now at lower speed/torque.

I have a theory for the higher-torque spiking that occurs. My clutch is slipping pretty badly at the moment. Perhaps the spikes I'm seeing are correlated with minor clutch slips, as shown in my high-tech diagram:

Boost Cycle Diagram.jpg

At least, that's the only thing I've got right now. I might replace some of my vaccum lines as well. Either way I'll be installing a new, higher-torque clutch ASAP.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Yesterday I replaced my silicone lines going to and from the turbo. Once again, a good improvement. If I floor it the boost will surge one or twice by about 5 PSI and settle back down. Last time I replaced the lines was just about 8 years and 180,000 miles ago. There were some nicks and rubs on the tubing, but no noticeable holes.