Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

badgolf

TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 13 Passat TDI
So I've submitted my claim to do a buyback on May 21 and have all green checks on my documents but haven't seen an offer. I've been calling but they keep telling me to wait. This seems like a really long time to get an offer back. Anyone seeing thes delays or know how to get it kick started?

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Read above - your bank holding onto your money for days at a time is THEM ripping you off, not VW. I'm with HSBC and there is zero hold on cheques, including the one from VW I deposited from VW a few weeks ago.
If there was a Citibank in Alberta, I would simply go there and and get a bank draft. Buuuut.. they don't exist anywhere around here.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
I am keeping both a 2009 Jetta & 2015 Golf because it will be my lowest cost option & I love the low fuel consumption/CO2 emissions. I completed my claim for both vehicles, was told to wait for 09 fix and was told to book an appointment with dealer for the 2015. I had the Phase 1 software mod done in Feb. The dealer rep said all I had to do is wait for my 3.5K cheque & that I did not need an appointment. So, I called VW claims (was quick & easy to reach, surprise, surprise) and they checked into my file number and said I did indeed need to book an appointment. I must be missing some logic here, the Dealer said they informed VW when Phase 1 mod was done. So, I have 2 stories, have booked an appointment online this morning & Dealer hasn't got back to me.
Can anyone clarify? I will pursue with Dealer tomorrow but am curious how others fared (I am assuming some are hanging on to their vehicles....).

Q-town Ranger

TDI
Wall of Flame

Dropped off the old Jetta yesterday afternoon and picked up a new Golf. Very happy that all that $*** is now behind me. Now need to find a way through that wall of flame in BC to get to the new home in Victoria!

Highway 3 still open!

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
So I've submitted my claim to do a buyback on May 21 and have all green checks on my documents but haven't seen an offer. I've been calling but they keep telling me to wait. This seems like a really long time to get an offer back. Anyone seeing thes delays or know how to get it kick started?
Turnaround times at each stage are random. In my case, it was 6.5 weeks from doc upload to final offer letter (offer letter email w/ link and docs approved email were both sent on same day). Then the first available surrender appointment was close to 4 weeks out. Approx 10.5 weeks from Docs Submitted to Surrender Appt. Mine was buy back with trade in. No lease, no loan.
Some tips based on other postings and my own exp:
(A) DOCS REVIEW: Confirm if any of your docs are marked as “incomplete” and ask RP rep if he/she can open up each doc, and are able to read each legibly. Green checkmarks on portal does NOT necessarily mean Review/Audit has approved your docs. Onus is on you to followup
(B) ASSIGN DATE - DRAFT OFFER LETTER: Confirm the exact date if/when your claim is assigned for offer letter draft
(C) DRAFT DATE – OFFER LETTER: Confirm the exact date when your offer letter was drafted (can the RP rep see an actual draft offer in your file?)
(D) DRAFT OFFER REVIEW: Confirm if your draft letter is with Audit/Review team, and if there are any notes on file at this stage
(E) ESCALATIONS: Each takes a min of five (5) days to complete. Escalation team works independently with no closed loop system among diff depts. Onus is on you to followup on status at 5-day mark
(F) EXEC ESCALATIONS: I didn’t do this but other owners did and believe it helped moved things along after previous efforts didn’t work. Credits to “Divedeputy” and “Kodered” for finding these contacts below:
-President, VW Canada: maria.stenstroem@vw.ca
-Manager of PR, VW Canada: thomas.tetzlaff@vw.ca
-President, Computershare Canada: stuart.swartz@computershare.com
-SVP of Business Dev: david.weir@ricepoint.com
-SVP of Comms: mark.jacobs@computershare.com
Hope you find above helpful. Good luck with your claim badgolf !

CDN_TDi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi (sold) | 2011 GSW TDi (turned in)
Dropped off the old Jetta yesterday afternoon and picked up a new Golf. Very happy that all that $*** is now behind me. Now need to find a way through that wall of flame in BC to get to the new home in Victoria!

Highway 3 still open!
Congrats on the new home and Golf! Good luck w/ your move

badgolf

TDI
Turnaround times at each stage are random. In my case, it was 6.5 weeks from doc upload to final offer letter (offer letter email w/ link and docs approved email were both sent on same day). Then the first available surrender appointment was close to 4 weeks out. Approx 10.5 weeks from Docs Submitted to Surrender Appt. Mine was buy back with trade in. No lease, no loan.
Some tips based on other postings and my own exp:
(A) DOCS REVIEW: Confirm if any of your docs are marked as “incomplete” and ask RP rep if he/she can open up each doc, and are able to read each legibly. Green checkmarks on portal does NOT necessarily mean Review/Audit has approved your docs. Onus is on you to followup
(B) ASSIGN DATE - DRAFT OFFER LETTER: Confirm the exact date if/when your claim is assigned for offer letter draft
(C) DRAFT DATE – OFFER LETTER: Confirm the exact date when your offer letter was drafted (can the RP rep see an actual draft offer in your file?)
(D) DRAFT OFFER REVIEW: Confirm if your draft letter is with Audit/Review team, and if there are any notes on file at this stage
(E) ESCALATIONS: Each takes a min of five (5) days to complete. Escalation team works independently with no closed loop system among diff depts. Onus is on you to followup on status at 5-day mark
(F) EXEC ESCALATIONS: I didn’t do this but other owners did and believe it helped moved things along after previous efforts didn’t work. Credits to “Divedeputy” and “Kodered” for finding these contacts below:
-President, VW Canada: maria.stenstroem@vw.ca
-Manager of PR, VW Canada: thomas.tetzlaff@vw.ca
-President, Computershare Canada: stuart.swartz@computershare.com
-SVP of Business Dev: david.weir@ricepoint.com
-SVP of Comms: mark.jacobs@computershare.com
Hope you find above helpful. Good luck with your claim badgolf !

Thanks for the rest info CDN_TDI. I'll be calling in today to see if I can get the status. Might even start emailing people if I don't get any satisfaction on the phone.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Keep harassing them....you'll eventually get a hold of a rep that gives a sh*t and will escalate the matter for you.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I'm still not pi$$ed off enough at VW to forego the only manual transmission mid-sized station wagon on the market (the Outback is losing its manual next MY, is ugly, and doesn't handle as well as VW).

Actually, the ONLY manual wagon on the market after the Outback loses its manual. There are a couple of base manual SUVs on the market (CX5, outgoing Tiguan, HRV, Qashquai) but try and find one... and I'm no fan of the SUV concept, at least for as long as I can still climb out of a lowish car.

I also kept our alloys to use for snow tires on the new car; I have to decide what to do with the summer tires on them (Bridgestone Ecopias), they still have lots of life on them, only 1 season of use.
2018 Alltrack and 2017/17 GSW are both available w/manual.

Our Alltrack is getting closer!!
Dealer Delivery
09/29/2017 - 10/27/2017 (ETA)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
2018 Alltrack and 2017/17 GSW are both available w/manual.
Our Alltrack is getting closer!!
Dealer Delivery
09/29/2017 - 10/27/2017 (ETA)
Yep, and we chose a GSW Trendline with manual. We don't even have 1000 km on the car yet. We love it. Or at least my wife does, I have trouble prying her hands off the steering wheel to drive it :p

The few short drives that I did drive it, I was impressed, even though my '16 Golf hatch is nearly identical from the rear seat forward. It's very smooth, quiet and fuel-efficient for a gasser. The 16" tires vs 15" tires on my hatch make a noticeable difference. It's a direct comparison, both are the same brand and model of tire but in different sizes.

For me, the base wagon was where the value was. Has everything we need/want in a car and MSRP was only $3000 more than the payout on our TDI. Now I want a wagon too, but it will wait until it's time to trade the hatch. It's only 2 years old with 46k km on it and has been totally trouble-free.

For me the Alltrack is just a GSW with more bells and whistles and ground clearance!

badgolf

TDI
Thanks for the rest info CDN_TDI. I'll be calling in today to see if I can get the status. Might even start emailing people if I don't get any satisfaction on the phone.
Called in today and was told the offer draft was in audit/review. Went there July 11th. So hopefully we will see the offer asap and move this forward. My wife is getting inpatient. :eek:

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Buyback with trade in was super smooth. In and out within 30 minutes with the new car. Don't know if this was mentioned but I struck up a conversation with the rep and he said they are a 3rd party company, not Rice or VW. All the cars, at least in the Golden horseshoe area are being stored in a giant parking lot somewhere near Niagara falls. Said my 2012 would be scrapped and said it's a shame because of how clean and we'll taken care of my car was.

He also told me of some people who brought their cars. One guy he sent home to put on full size wheels because he came in on donuts. Another guy was missing the whole ignition system and was hot wiring his car to start it. That was accepted because it technically started haha.

Anyways, another piece of useful information to those trying to claim a GST/HST refund, I got a letter from the CRA today saying I was denied. Reason:

"All or some of the goods and services included in the rebate application are subject to GST/HST and are therefore not refundable"

Don't quite understand what that means but I'm going to call them with my claim number and see what they say.

eurojet

TDI
2016 Ford F150 Screw 2.7EB 2015 Jetta Tdi, 2011 Audi A3 tdi
2015 Jetta tredline+ just went back( buyback )on the 11th and it went very smooth , in and out in less then 30 mins
2011 Audi A3 is going back on the 18th and hoping it goes just as smooth

even though the cars were on the same account when we registered i had to call in times to get them handed back a week apart!

Glad to finally get rid of the 3rd car payment

Wife took my VW check and put an order in on a 2018 Volvo XC60 wont be here until October

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Anyways, another piece of useful information to those trying to claim a GST/HST refund, I got a letter from the CRA today saying I was denied. Reason:
"All or some of the goods and services included in the rebate application are subject to GST/HST and are therefore not refundable"
Don't quite understand what that means but I'm going to call them with my claim number and see what they say.
Maybe contact your MP about this too. This is such a unique situation and there's probably no provision in the tax code for repayment. It will be easy for CRA to deny rebates. We're probably going to need some media attention at some point to get a refund.

braun

TDI
Touareg 2014
Hey guys, new guy here. Currently own a 2014 Touareg TDI Exec R-Line...was wondering what sort of compensation you gen 2 owners are expecting? I know the US has its settlement ironed out. Any ideas?

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Hey guys, new guy here. Currently own a 2014 Touareg TDI Exec R-Line...was wondering what sort of compensation you gen 2 owners are expecting? I know the US has its settlement ironed out. Any ideas?
I have the same vehicle and wondering the same thing. I have a feeling VW are going to try to stretch it out and/or not pay us anything, but that's just my gut feeling. Could be the quantity of Tregs in Canada makes it a much smaller issue from a regulatory/legal perspective? On the legal side, read less lucrative for lawyers...

KrisA

TDI
2010 Golf SportWagen
Any Canadians on here know if the deals are still active and what the details are?

My local dealer has a 2015 Highline Sportwagon with 6MT that they haven't sold yet. The sales guy on the used side said they had 50 2015's that were snapped up almost instantly when they went on sale at 8K off and 0% for 72 months. This one was left behind because it was the only manual and apparently people suck. ;) He said the 8K off window was only for the first month and now it's full price. I said if they couldn't sell it at 8K off then good luck at full price!

Now I wasn't considering another TDI, but if I could get that car for 24K at 0% I feel like I'd be crazy not to. My TDI has been good to me and while I was thinking of 2018 Tiguan for the extra space and ground clearance I do know I'd miss the amazing TDI economy and the 6mt.

wakka88

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Many have metioned "Buyback with Trade-in".
Is there any difference with "Trade-in" option?
For my 2012 Golf Highline TDI, I only got Buyback or Trade-in.

I'd like to trade-in however, there is almost $6000 difference because Trade-in is based on current fare market value + demage$ only.
Buyback is based on 2015 market value + demage$.

I called in and the rep said if I choose Trade-in, I need to reset my claim steps. She clarified that the amount won't be same as Buyback.

Can any Canadian TDI own clarify what's that "Buyback with Trade-in" means? Do you get the same $ at the end back?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Many have metioned "Buyback with Trade-in".
Is there any difference with "Trade-in" option?
For my 2012 Golf Highline TDI, I only got Buyback or Trade-in.

I'd like to trade-in however, there is almost $6000 difference because Trade-in is based on current fare market value + demage$ only.
Buyback is based on 2015 market value + demage$.

I called in and the rep said if I choose Trade-in, I need to reset my claim steps. She clarified that the amount won't be same as Buyback.

Can any Canadian TDI own clarify what's that "Buyback with Trade-in" means? Do you get the same $ at the end back?
No that is incorrect. Trade or buyback both get you the 2015 value. The current fair market value is only to calculate the sales tax credit on the trade-in, so you pay sales tax on the difference between the new car's value and current fair market value on the returned TDI.

If you choose the trade or straight buyback without trade you get the exact same amount: value at Sept 18 2015 plus sorry money. In my case, it was $15,337 + $5500 sorry money, total $20,337. Current FMV was $12,200. It was applied to the new car and we got a cheque for over $8600. You are free to do as you please with the cheque, we applied it also to the new car, a 2017 GSW Trendline manual.

We paid sales tax on the diff between the price of the new car and current FMV.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Turned in my 2011 Golf this afternoon, cheque in hand. Off to the bank and to wash my hands of this finally. Sad to see the girl go, but.. Jeep Grande Cherokee with Mercedes diesel incoming. I'll get over it quickly.

JumpingRick

TDI
Jetta 2014 Comfortline
Hi, great reading so far thanks for sharing.
In my case, I have a Jetta 2014.
Doing 35,000km per year, I don't think I have any better option than to take the cash and get my car fixed. Unless there is such an economical car without buying a new one?

The thing is, the legal paper I received this week states that I won't received money until the find the way to fix the car. And it can get as far as June 2018. Really? I'll have to wait another year? What if they don't find any fix?

I'm wondering if I should sign the papers right now or wait when they find the fix. Just in case. Well, I'm kind of messed up what should I do.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Doing 35,000km per year, I don't think I have any better option than to take the cash and get my car fixed. Unless there is such an economical car without buying a new one?
The thing is, the legal paper I received this week states that I won't received money until the find the way to fix the car. And it can get as far as June 2018. Really? I'll have to wait another year? What if they don't find any fix?
I'm wondering if I should sign the papers right now or wait when they find the fix. Just in case. Well, I'm kind of messed up what should I do.
What do you think?
Thanks again.
Presumably if there's no fix you'll have the option for a buyback. FWIW, the new TSI wagon we got to replace our TDI averages about 1.4 L/100 km more than the TDI did. In straight highway driving, it's maybe 1.0 L/100 km. So it is still reasonably economical. But we don't drive as much as you, it's my wife's car and she does about 24k km a year. I also have a Golf TSI ('16), that replaced my Mk VI TDI, and same result. At the moment my current tank is 5.6 L/100 km after about 500 km. Of course it depends on how you drive. I stick pretty close to speed limits.

sunsation288

TDI
Golf TDI 2010
What do you think?
Thanks again.
i am in the same situation than you ...i find weird to wait for the fix before having my goodwill money ?

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
i am in the same situation than you ...i find weird to wait for the fix before having my goodwill money ?
Most of us have received our "Goodwill Money"...:D
The goodwill money was in the form of the 2X$500 gift cards..

In order for to guarantee that Volkswagen makes good on it's violation of the law, Volkswagen has to either remove the cars from circulation or repair them.
Think about it...
They aren't going to give you all the money without being able to regain or repair the vehicle.
Seems to make sense to me;)

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I am keeping both a 2009 Jetta & 2015 Golf because it will be my lowest cost option & I love the low fuel consumption/CO2 emissions. I completed my claim for both vehicles, was told to wait for 09 fix and was told to book an appointment with dealer for the 2015. I had the Phase 1 software mod done in Feb. The dealer rep said all I had to do is wait for my 3.5K cheque & that I did not need an appointment. So, I called VW claims (was quick & easy to reach, surprise, surprise) and they checked into my file number and said I did indeed need to book an appointment. I must be missing some logic here, the Dealer said they informed VW when Phase 1 mod was done. So, I have 2 stories, have booked an appointment online this morning & Dealer hasn't got back to me.
Can anyone clarify? I will pursue with Dealer tomorrow but am curious how others fared (I am assuming some are hanging on to their vehicles....).
Any updates yet? I'm in the same boat as you with my 2015.

I had a 2014 that I sold on December 10th 2015, and I did get an email that a cheque is in the mail.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Odd - Is Rice Point taking the next 3 weeks off?

Just looking at booking an appointment and nowhere across the province (BC) is there a time slot available until Aug 14th or later... Say what now?

Last edited:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination

Just looking at booking an appointment and nowhere across the province (BC) is there a time slot available until Aug 14th or later... Say what now?
Funny you mention this topic. I booked an appointment for Aug 11, about 3 weeks ago. When I was looking at the booking schedule the month of July was wide open as well as the month of August(my own fault, but what can you do) I still hadn't found a replacement car, so I gave myself some extra time. Well, wouldn't you know it a great little car came along, too good to pass up so I bought it. Ever since, I've been struggling trying to bump the appointment up to a sooner date, preferably end of July. I called appointment hotline, emailed Ricepoint, tried every thing., no such luck. The best they could do was August 8. Oh well...atleast I tried. Funny thing is, every day I get home from work, there's a message on the machine asking for me to call back with a mileage update. Can't wait till this is done...

Last edited:

Thoiry

TDI
2015 Golf TDI - gone

As I understood, they need roughly 20 days to prepare, thus you can't book an appointment for the time slot in 20 days, right? Our appointment is this Saturday, July 22, which we booked about one and half months ago.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Just for fun, I submitted claims for trade in and straight-buyback in case I had a moment of weakness and wanted to buy another VW.

The trade in offer came in $1000 less than the buyback offer, which wipes out any tax advantage. So I guess I'll be doing the buyback in a few days.

I hope I actually get the $20 xxx as long as I don't go over the 2000 km since my call, which I am being very careful about.

Last edited: