Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Since the primary thread is geared toward "US only" reparations for the 2.0L TDI model vehicles, I thought it would be nice to have a Canadian only thread for those in Canada waiting and watching to see what happens with our vehicles.

That said, VW Canada has updated their page today to reflect goings on.

http://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/

Specifically - https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/news/tdi-update-u-s-court-filings-regarding-u-s-2-0l-tdi-vehicles/

It looks like VW Canada aims to provide a progress update to Canadian Courts on or before July 29, 2016

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Got this today in an email

NOTICE: STATUS OF PROPOSED NATIONAL CLASS ACTIONS RELATED TO EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION AND COMPLIANCE OF VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI DIESEL VEHICLES FROM MODEL YEARS 2009 TO 2016

Please Read this Notice Carefully.

Status of the Canadian Proceedings
Among a number of proceedings commenced across Canada on October 22 2015, a proposed pan-Canadian class action was commenced in Ontario and on September 22 2015, a Quebec Class action was commenced in Quebec, both alleging that certain Volkswagen and Audi companies (the “Volkswagen and Audi Defendants”) manufactured and/or installed emissions control devices, including alleged “Defeat Devices”, in certain Volkswagen and Audi vehicles with diesel engines (the “Class Actions”). Case Management Judges have been appointed in the Class Actions in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Superior Court of Quebec (the “Courts”).

The Affected Vehicles
In the Class Actions, the Plaintiffs are seeking remedies in respect of all affected vehicles in all provinces and territories in Canada. The affected vehicles are as follows:
DIESEL MODEL MODEL YEARS (INCLUSIVE) Volkswagen Jetta 2009 - 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 2009 Volkswagen Golf 2010 - 2013, 2015 Volkswagen Passat 2012 - 2015 Volkswagen Beetle 2013 - 2015 Volkswagen Golf Wagon 2010 - 2014 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon 2015 Audi A3 2010 - 2013, 2015 Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5 2014 – 2016 Audi Q7 2009 – 2015 Volkswagen Touareg 2009 - 2016

You have received this Notice either because you are a past or current owner or lessee of an affected vehicle, or because you have expressed interest in the Class Actions. Receipt of this Notice does not mean that you are a Class Member.

Negotiations
The Plaintiffs and the Volkswagen and Audi defendants (“the Parties”) are in discussions about potential settlement and remedies relating to the affected vehicles in Canada.

On or before July 29, 2016, the Courts will receive an update on settlement discussions.

Nothing is required from you at this time and you do not need to hire your own lawyer.

If the Parties reach a settlement, the terms of the settlement will be made public and notice of the settlement will be provided. In the case of a settlement, a Class will be defined and members of the Class will have an opportunity to object to the settlement, as well as an opportunity to remove themselves from (or “opt-out” of) the settlement.

Where to Get More Information
If you have any questions about the status of the Class Actions in which these negotiations are taking place, please visit: volkswagenclassaction.com (all provinces except Quebec) or recourscollectif.info (Quebec residents only). For further information about how the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants have been responding to the allegations in the Class Actions, please consult www.vwemissionsinfo.ca or www.audiemissionsinformation.ca.

Status of the U.S. Proceeding
Similar class actions have also been filed in the U.S., and a consolidated multidistrict litigation (“MDL”) is currently pending in Federal Court in San Francisco. In the MDL, the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, and certain of the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants, have requested preliminary court approval of a class action settlement for 2 litre engine affected vehicles in the U.S.

The terms of that settlement can be found on the U.S. court’s website at www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl. A hearing to consider whether the U.S. Federal Court will preliminarily approve the U.S. class action settlement is scheduled for July 26, 2016.

PUBLICATION OF THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY THE ONTARIO SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Thx for creating this thread. Hopefully we can find out what we will be recieving for our cars.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I notice the information provided in the links in post #1 make no mention of buy backs in Canada, only repairs.

Repairs are of no interest unless it comes with a suitcase full of cash to compensate for turning the car into a diesel-guzzling slug.

SylQuebec

TDI
JEtta 2009
This will be crap if we only get repair because our car will sold for nothing after this...so much people will want to sold there car, the value will continue to decrease really fast. I hope by repair, they mean repair for the owner $$

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I suspect our (Canadians') problem may be that the maximum fine VW faces here in Canada is $6 mill plus the potential loss of profit from each car 2009-15 TDI's and Audis (if our government even pursues this). So the costs associated with buy-backs greatly exceed any fine.

VW has not offered the rest of the planet any compensation whatsoever.

delta18

TDI
2012 Golf Comfortline 6MT
Also still no information on what will happen to those of us with imported vehicles. I plan to call VW and see what they say.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Posted here for relevance:

Depends on which side of Thomas Tetzlaff's mouth you believe:

April - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...of-more-than-100000-vehicles/article29710515/

"“Rest assured that what happens in the U.S. will be mirrored in Canada,” Mr. Tetzlaff said."

Today - https://www.thestar.com/business/20...k-147-billion-emissions-settlement-in-us.html

"“Our hope is to provide remedies to Canadians on pace with U.S. customers,” Volkswagen Canada spokesman Thomas Tetzlaff said in an email.

He said, however, that settlement details coming out of the U.S. court proceeding may not apply to Canada, although they will be a consideration for the Canadian discussions."
Info re CA class action here.

Last edited:

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Honestly, I'm 100% confident we'll be following the USA's way. We did it for the initial owner credit package, we'll do it again. I'm thinking their numbers are a bit high though, for buy back rates(which for us is good, I guess), because I bought my 2013 Jetta TDI at market value in September($22,500). And now, the USA is being quoted for my exact car, for $23,500, so with the CAD conversion, it'll be a bit higher for me. This doesn't make sense...Either way, I'm excited to see what happens, and a little impatient, since now I have to wait even longer to get that 2016 GTI I've been wanting for a year, now. Hurry up VW!

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I penciled mine out to $21,767. If we can recover taxes etc things might look a little better but the actual taxable price of the car is low ball.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Considering my VW dealership is selling used 2.0 TDI's still, I'm going to head over this weekend and see what they'll offer me for mine.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Considering my VW dealership is selling used 2.0 TDI's still, I'm going to head over this weekend and see what they'll offer me for mine.
I'm expecting a new vehicle this fall, I've checked with a few dealers what they would offer for my 11 Jetta TDI highline. It was pretty dismal for a trade in - $5500 to $6500, where the US equivalent buyback value is $17K

I'm really hoping we get some sort of buyback in Canada as well.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I'm expecting a new vehicle this fall, I've checked with a few dealers what they would offer for my 11 Jetta TDI highline. It was pretty dismal for a trade in - $5500 to $6500, where the US equivalent buyback value is $17K
I'm really hoping we get some sort of buyback in Canada as well.
Got something similar.
2012 Highline (Fender, Nav) with 100,000 kms

Posted my car on kijiji back in April for $14,500 not a single bite.
Dealer offered me $9,500 I believe. (or maybe it was $9,000...cant remember)
This buyback better give me at least $15,000 or Im going postal.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
That seems pretty low.. how many KMs do you have on it..
Here's the same car sold on our dealers lot..
http://www.nordenvw.ca/inventory/listing/2011-volkswagen-jetta-edmonton-alberta/6393508
130,000km. I know, there's several on auto trader for much better numbers. I got the feeling the dealers didn't care though.

That one is almost identical to mine, though I have 6MT.

Got something similar.
2012 Highline (Fender, Nav) with 100,000 kms
Posted my car on kijiji back in April for $14,500 not a single bite.
Dealer offered me $9,500 I believe. (or maybe it was $9,000...cant remember)
This buyback better give me at least $15,000 or Im going postal.
Funny, I posted mine earlier in the month to see what kind of responses I'd get - was really curious as to how the market for these would be with the scandal and all. I ended up receiving quite a few responses.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
We're going to get a VW toque and a travel mug.
No. We'll get a picture of the above items and a chance to applogise to VWoC for wronging us... Why? Because we're Canadian!

TDI
2014 GSW TDI Wolfsburg 6MT, 2001 Jetta TDI 5MT (Sold at 366K km), 1997 Golf 1.9TD 5MT (Sold at 345K km), 1995 Golf 1.9TD 5MT (Sold 390K km)
Looking forward to hearing more about compensation for Canadian owners. Really hoping for a similar arrangement to what the USA is doing for American owners. Local dealer offered me a "VIP trade in event", to which I had no intention of participating, although, in retrospect, I probably should have gone just to see what kind of trade in value they would have appraised my car at.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Looking forward to hearing more about compensation for Canadian owners. Really hoping for a similar arrangement to what the USA is doing for American owners. Local dealer offered me a "VIP trade in event", to which I had no intention of participating, although, in retrospect, I probably should have gone just to see what kind of trade in value they would have appraised my car at.
Yeah I think everyone got those invitations. I also didn't go because I felt like it was a quick grab for unaware TDI owners who could potentially settle for a low ball trade in amount.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Am I correct in thinking that because the US deal is structured as a "trade in" unless the consumer actually purchases another vehicle at the time of TDI return all related taxes and fees will be lost?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
July 29th unless you have insider info.
Crap. I thought I read June 29?:p I guess I was hopeful we'd only be a day behind our American friends. In true Canadian fashion....sorry.

PS. Americans stay out of this thread. Let us Canadians wallow in our misery and uncertain TDI future! hahaha

Last edited:

GigaFire

TDI
2012 CW Golf
Here's hoping for extra value after exchange rate. What goes down for Canada decides whether or not I take my settlement cash and do everything to make my 2012 Golf unkillable, or moving to a TSI/GTI.

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
The US Buy Back numbers are Trade-In Value (as of Sept 2015) + Compensation.

So those numbers (as for example 29,XXX for my 2015 Jetta) are going to look a bit high, until you take into account the compensation portion.

This is intended to compensate you for the amount of value lost on your vehicle AND the injurious nature of the lie. It is not, however, intended to allow you to replace your car with a brand new one, or give you back all the money you paid for your car.

It is for each of us to determine if it's work keeping our car, accepting the fix and the impact that has on the car, or to get rid of it and seek out another car.

Personally, I'm going to take the long view on this one and hold off on making any decision until I see what the fix is and if they are going to sell new TDIs.

abaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta Trendline+
Because we're on the steep end of the depreciation curve our numbers don't look high to me at all. I fail to understand why I might have to absorb such depreciation because of VW's fraud. I'm not looking for a new car and I certainly wouldn't be looking to sell or trade this vehicle in the near future. We bought for the long haul.

How exactly is this compensation?
If you don't want to get rid of your car they give you the option to take the compensation alone (and have your car "fixed")

In my example that's nearly $8000, pretty decent compensation. Heck, that'll buy a lot of fuel if my car ends up using more after the "fix."