2 stroke oil in your diesel = smiles?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
BOB,
If I was you I would use the recommended percentage of Fuel Power and forget about the rest of that witches brew. That's the only way your gonna know if it's your car and not stuff you put in the fuel. -10° F here and no additives ((just winterized #2) fired right up.:cool:
Oh it's been a bit slow to fire up this winter. Just much worse this time with more smoke, rough idle. There is normally little smoke and a smooth idle. It was harder to start this time than it was at 0F with my normal additives.

New starter is on the way.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Well how could we understand you might have a starter issue in a two stroke oil thread? Fair enough?
My post was about how this mix compares to my normal additives. Crank time, white smoke was more than with my usual additives, and idle was rough. I'm discussing relative differences.

Previous cold starts with my normal additives were much better, even at colder temps.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Then it sounds like your "mix" and not your starter. Your throwing too many variables out there.
I have already determined weeks ago my cold starts are slower than they should be. Anything else you want to tell me about my TDI?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I normally mix 6oz of 2 stroke per 20 gallons of fuel on my dodge diesel- but never thought about it for the TDI, since 507 oil is required and that the car only burns a few oz of oil over 10k miles. wouldn't adding 2 stroke oil wreck the DPF?

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I normally mix 6oz of 2 stroke per 20 gallons of fuel on my dodge diesel- but never thought about it for the TDI, since 507 oil is required and that the car only burns a few oz of oil over 10k miles. wouldn't adding 2 stroke oil wreck the DPF?
What I've read on 2-stroke oil for fuel additive is low-ash synthetics won't cause any damage to a DPF but factor in the cleaner burn, lubricity and detergents for the upper cylinder head which will yield less load on the DPF overall...
I've heard B5 (5% biodiesel) does a better job for less money with no muss or fuss :)

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
What I've read on 2-stroke oil for fuel additive is low-ash synthetics won't cause any damage to a DPF but factor in the cleaner burn, lubricity and detergents for the upper cylinder head which will yield less load on the DPF overall...
I've heard B5 (5% biodiesel) does a better job for less money with no muss or fuss :)

Even B2 has shown to be an improvement.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
I am still running the 2SO & RP HPS 5w-30 in the golf and have started the wifes Jetta on the 2SO since I'm not seeing elevated DPF ash levels. Her car is also getting switched over to the RP HPS oil on Saturday. Last time I checked, her car was tracking 1:1 or so similar to what others are reporting http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067 so it will be interesting to see what happens to her levels moving forward.

Jack Diesel

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
are there any negatives for putting 2 stroke in a 2011 VW CR TDI that has no DPF & Cat Converter?

Also is it ok if you are letting dealer do oil changes or should I be using a certain oil if I am going to be putting 2 stroke in fuel tank.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
are there any negatives for putting 2 stroke in a 2011 VW CR TDI that has no DPF & Cat Converter?

Also is it ok if you are letting dealer do oil changes or should I be using a certain oil if I am going to be putting 2 stroke in fuel tank.
Do you know of any manufacturer of a modern diesel engine that recommends adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel tank? What are you trying to accomplish?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Do you know of any manufacturer of a modern diesel engine that recommends adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel tank? What are you trying to accomplish?
I tend to agree with this. I run it in my 1996 motor because it seems to quiet the injection pump and run smoother but I don't think I'd put it in the 2011. I stick with either bio blends, optilube, or power service for my CR.

Sent from my VCDS CAN Gateway

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf

No not at all, go for it. I have over 30k now running royal purple hps 5w-30 WITH dpf in place and over 20k running 2SO.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Wow a whole 20k? :rolleyes: Just use powerservice if youre concerned. Your DPF is gonna take $hit on ya.
There is no proof of that... When the EOL comes for the dpf, i will post up in the thread i have opened to track the data i have access to...

edit... fyi, also using a non 507 spec oil which should cause the same problems, none of which I'm finding. 24k miles using 2SO...

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
steve05ram360 keep us posted as to how the DPF in your car holds up using the 2 stroke oil as I want to run it in my 2010 Jetta CR TDI and thanks for the test. I really can't see the 2 stroke oil doing any harm as it is really cleaner then the diesel fuel that the engine burns by the gallon compared to 8-12 ozs of 2 stroke ash less oil per 15 gallon /55liter tank. Diesel fuel here is not all that clean as most think other wise and in fact is crap compared to what they burn overseas. Our dirty diesel fuel here is one of the biggest killers of the DPF. How about Synthetic 2 stroke oil like Amsoil's 100 to 1 premix which I have used in 2 stokes and burns clean as a whistle with no smoke what so ever. One could use 1/2 as much as petro 2 stroke oil. Keep us posted and again thanks. You have a great day now eh.

Last edited:

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Still running it, the data is in a thread linked in my sig. Currently at 25k miles and no problems. Not driving it much atm, no commute.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
One and all try googling 2 Cycle as a diesel additive to fix ULSD issues?? It will take you to the Mercedes-benz Forum and there you find I believe proof that two stroke ashless oil is the way to go. They used low ash 2 stroke oil in their tests I believe. I found this and then could not find again but I had printed it. I googled the above that was on my printed sheet and found it again. Bottom line 2 stroke ash less oil for me in my 2010 TDI as it is better then not. Read the above and you decide

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
steve05ram360 I think you are on the wright track and will not be sorry. Check out the above I have shown. I think you will be happy with your decision to use 2 stroke oil. I will be from now on.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Still looking for some logic to adding 2-stroke oil to diesel. Does the manufacturer recommend it? Does any diesel auto manufacturer recommend it? Or is this just one of those old wives' tales from 60 years ago.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Just more forum Hyperbole
no real reports shown. And sulfer is not a high pressure lubricant as the author would lead you to believe. But I guess it's true because it is printed on the internet.
You should follow the manufactures recommendations so your car wears out when they want it to...their balance sheet depends on it :D

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You should follow the manufactures recommendations so your car wears out when they want it to...their balance sheet depends on it :D
Believe what you want if it makes you feel good to put 2 stoke oil in your fuel go right ahead. It's a free country I just feel that there are better options such as bio diesel not chain saw oil.