00309 - Washer Solution Metering Pump is open or short to ground

kmjunge

TDI
Eurovan 1z Conversion, 1998 Jetta AHU, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I think this is the last hurdle on my 1Z converted Eurovan. I posted the same question over in the TDI Conversion forum but this seems to be relevant to the A3/B4 group too.

I've googled the hell out of this code and haven't made much headway. Everything I've seen refers to issues with the "5th injector" that was on the 96 TDI's. However I have a 1Z engine from a 97 Passat and I have a GQ code ecu. I've got chips from Malone Tuning. I've reached out to them but they kind of fell off the radar. They said they could probably delete it (like they did my EGR) but they never confirmed that or gave me any direction. I'm hoping I can just find a solution that doesn't involve me shipping my chips out to be tweaked.

I've read the post below in which a solution was found by wiring in some resistors but I'm hoping for a more eloquent solution.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/ahu-gq-ecu-v135-and-g20-code.520054/

kmjunge

TDI
Yeah that's what I've read and that's why I'm confused that I'm getting this code. Is the 00309 code related to something else in the GQ ECU? I mean, what the heck is a "washer solution metering pump"? I originally thought it was referring to my windshield washer fluid pump but I confirmed that was not it.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Those aftermarket washer pumps have been known to take out many engines…

Thinking about it, I did need to do something to remove the cat injector, although I have the GQ in my ‘96. I remember having to wire in a resistor or something along those lines. That was over 10 years ago, so the details are hazy…

Or maybe it was to remove the N18, when I did EGR delete, which I now regret…

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Those aftermarket washer pumps have been known to take out many engines…

Thinking about it, I did need to do something to remove the cat injector, although I have the GQ in my ‘96. I remember having to wire in a resistor or something along those lines. That was over 10 years ago, so the details are hazy…

Or maybe it was to remove the N18, when I did EGR delete, which I now regret…

-Todd
This is something that should be figured out and then dumped in a sticky because we all knew at one point and then it kind of slips away when you don't have to address it later on.

My recollection at this point is that BK ECU is looking for the 5th injector and so the resistor (or what ever was used) is necessary here. Further, that the GQ ECU that came out of the 'recall' (which apparently was not well publicized or participated in) eliminates the 5th injector requirement but leaves it in place. That concludes 1996 cars.

The 1997 cars only came with the FA ECU and were fully OBD2 complaint and did not have a 5th injector to worry about. These are very similar to the Mk3 electrically and ECU wise AFAIK (Lug Nut would know for certain though)

The only other thing that I wondered about is the catalyst sensor(s) that were allegedly on the early cars...and my 96 B4 harness does indeed have wiring to support that. T68/56 is for catalyst temp sensor #1 (I actually thought there were two but I can't locate info for the second one) but I don't recall what response the ECU does if it's gets a signal from that...was this where the resistor came into play?

The only reason I mentioned that the 'recall' didn't seem to be well publicized or participated in is because EVERY 96 B4 tdi I've ever seen has the black case BK ECU in it...which suggests that VW didn't pursue the recall with much zeal.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was known as the "smoke fix", and if the cars were not doing that, they often didn't get any attention. They also clogged the fifth injector nozzle shut before too terribly long anyway, so if they made it to that point, there was not going to be any smoke anyway because no raw fuel was being injected into the exhaust.

It was a dumb idea.

GM rehashed it on the 2.8L DM Colorado/Canyon and maybe some other diesel trucks, LOL.... maybe it works better with ULSD?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
IDK why it identifies as a 'washer solution' pump because it has nothing to do with that, the ECU in these cars doesn't care whether your sprizter tank is empty or not.

I noticed that Ross-Tech refers to the V135 as a 'additive particle filter pump' for some reason...which also seems inaccurate unless it's generic fault.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only other thing that I wondered about is the catalyst sensor(s) that were allegedly on the early cars...and my 96 B4 harness does indeed have wiring to support that. T68/56 is for catalyst temp sensor #1 (I actually thought there were two but I can't locate info for the second one) but I don't recall what response the ECU does if it's gets a signal from that...was this where the resistor came into play?
Perhaps…. It was so long ago, I can’t truly recall. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast today….

Whatever it was I gleaned the info from these forums. I don’t think I was getting a CEL, but it was needed to remove stuff. I wanted all the uneeded stuff out if the bay. I was probably running a Kerma tune, at that point.

-Todd

jimnarem

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
I have an 02/96 Passat TDI that had the smoke fix recall done. ECU replaced with GQ so it is now OBD-II. Injectors replaced with 028130202 P/Q. When I finally removed all the remaining leftover parts, I put a 10 ohm/10W resistor on the metering pump connector to fake pump presence, and 250 ohm/1W resistors on each of the catalyst temp sensors connector to fake their presence. I did this on the basis of a TDIClub posting.

To get the recall done (VW called it a bulletin) you had to know about it and say the magic words "intermittent black smoke".

Bentley manual references:
G20 Temp sensor 1: pg X173, current track 22 (yellow/black, brown/blue), 4 pin connector shared with G132
G132 Temp sensor 2: pg X173, current track 24 (violet/brown, brown/blue), same 4 pin connector
V54 Metering Pump: pg X176, current track 61 (green/yellow, black/yellow), 2 pin connector

I'm sure the "washer solution metering pump" is just a misinterpretation of the 5th injector metering pump; it was an actual pump since the fuel was tapped off of the fuel filter lines so it needed enough pressure to pop-off the 5th injector. That 10 ohm/10W resistor needs to be that size since typically presence detection is done via voltage drop at the control mosfet and that motor took a bunch of current. It's trying to see if the motor is burned out. The wattage of the resistors to fake the temp sensors aren't too critical.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have an 02/96 Passat TDI that had the smoke fix recall done. ECU replaced with GQ so it is now OBD-II. Injectors replaced with 028130202 P/Q. When I finally removed all the remaining leftover parts, I put a 10 ohm/10W resistor on the metering pump connector to fake pump presence, and 250 ohm/1W resistors on each of the catalyst temp sensors connector to fake their presence. I did this on the basis of a TDIClub posting.

To get the recall done (VW called it a bulletin) you had to know about it and say the magic words "intermittent black smoke".

Bentley manual references:
G20 Temp sensor 1: pg X173, current track 22 (yellow/black, brown/blue), 4 pin connector shared with G132
G132 Temp sensor 2: pg X173, current track 24 (violet/brown, brown/blue), same 4 pin connector
V54 Metering Pump: pg X176, current track 61 (green/yellow, black/yellow), 2 pin connector

I'm sure the "washer solution metering pump" is just a misinterpretation of the 5th injector metering pump; it was an actual pump since the fuel was tapped off of the fuel filter lines so it needed enough pressure to pop-off the 5th injector. That 10 ohm/10W resistor needs to be that size since typically presence detection is done via voltage drop at the control mosfet and that motor took a bunch of current. It's trying to see if the motor is burned out. The wattage of the resistors to fake the temp sensors aren't too critical.
Good information to have, we should make sure your comments get into a sticky so others can more easily find them.

I'm surprised that the resistors are needed at all with the new GQ ecu since I thought it was now just supposed to ignore the 5th injector completely, but who knows. I'd like to see the original bulletin if someone could find a copy.

Steve

oilhammer

TDI
^ Injection timing must be correct, check using VAG1551 Scan tool (see start of injection, dynamically checking and adjusting in group 23 of Repair Manual, 1.9 L TDI OBDII Diesel Injection & Glow Plug System). If timing is correct and condition still exists:

- Replace ECM with Part No.: 028 906 021GQ (Control Module must be coded)

- Replace injectors 1, 2, and 4 with Part No: 028 130 202P

- Replace injector No. 3 with Part No: 028 130 202Q

- Replace injector sealing washers Part No: 046 130 219A

Note:
Always replace injector sealing washers between cylinder head and injector.

CAUTION!
Part numbers are for reference only. Always check with your Parts Dept. for the latest parts information.

- Connect VAG 1551 Scan Tool.

- Switch ignition on.

- Press buttons -0- and -1- to select "Engine Electronics" address word 01.

If the appropriate vehicle code is not displayed or if the ECM has been replaced, code the ECM as follows:

Open In New TabZoom/Print

Indicated on display.

- Press buttons -0- and -7- to select "Code Control Module" function 07.

- Press -Q- button to confirm input.

Open In New TabZoom/Print

Indicated on display.

- Input Control Module coding "00002".

- Press -Q- button to confirm input.

oilhammer

TDI
Cut 'n paste from Alldata, so the couple pics won't transfer (they are just drawings of the old 1551 scan tool LCD screen).

oilhammer

TDI
Many of those may have had the same module coding available as the ALH cars, so you had three choices: w/ manual, w/ automatic, and AWD (which back then, were by default all manuals). Now of course, we all know that only FWD manual B4 TDIs came here, so it may have just been some oversight on someone's part. Those controllers may have also required a login code to make the cruise control work... and again, even though all our TDIs got cruise as standard, some sold elsewhere did not.

I'm thinking that is all that means. And the default soft coding may not have been for a FWD manual, either. I think the ALH and BEW ECUs come set to 0001, which is FWD+automatic. If you put a new one in a car with a manual, it would have to be recoded to 0002.

Pretty sure the later (OBD2) style 1Z/AHU ECUs work the same way.

This was a common practice back some time ago for tuners to load three different versions, and one could switch between them, because the ECU had three available "slots" to use. So you could have a stock one, a "stage 1" in another, and a "no holds barred hold my beer gonna black stack this Prius" in the 3rd slot.

kmjunge

TDI
I checked the coding on my ECU and confirmed it's set to 00002. Sounds like I need to pick up some resistors

kmjunge

TDI
MaloneTuning/Tunezilla got back with me and overnighted new chips. The new chips deleted the "5th injector" and now I don't have a fault code anymore. That was way easier than wiring in resistors. (y)

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
MaloneTuning/Tunezilla got back with me and overnighted new chips. The new chips deleted the "5th injector" and now I don't have a fault code anymore. That was way easier than wiring in resistors. (y)
I would have expected Malone to delete the 5th injector in any tune for a BK ecu. I would have figured that to be standard practice.

Steve

kmjunge

TDI
I have the GQ ecu, that's kind of why I was so surprised to see the code to begin with. Regardless, its' all good now.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, that is odd….

I have the GQ also, but I do remember installing resistors for something. Wish I could remember what…

-Todd

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, I know that my brother in law's 1998 jetta has the same code. I was very puzzled on it and found it had the fifth injector setup which was partially deleted. I had never heard about it on a jetta, and especially not a 1998. I figured out it is a California emissions car, but obviously isn't California compliant anymore.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, thanks for jogging the memory. I think I still have them in a box, somewhere…

-Todd