Recent content by detroitmike

1. detroitmike

Approved!

She's been a good car but at 145,000 miles I'm anticipating a few thousand dollars in necessary maintenance soon. Dual mass flywheel has rattles. Brakes almost gone. Possible heater core issue. I will miss the car but to keep her does not make much financial sense to me. Check please.
  2. detroitmike

my car is doing alot of regens lately

I doubt your dpf needs replacing at 110k. Its probably just the luck of the draw on when you got to your destination vs regen. I have a scanguage that tells me when my passat is in a regen by way of exhaust gas temperatures. Sometimes I'll be in a regen when getting home/work twice in a week...
  3. detroitmike

High aluminum in oil analysis

It should drop back down. I had same issue with higher metals around 20k. Keep calm and drive on.
  4. detroitmike

Total QUARTZ INEO LL 5W-30 made by ELF

TBN of 3.2 at 11,000 miles. Looks like I could go to 15K no problem.
  5. detroitmike

Total QUARTZ INEO LL 5W-30 made by ELF

Total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5w-30 No complaints here.
  6. 13_passat-030715_pdf

13_passat-030715_pdf

7. detroitmike

Improving the trunk light

This is a waste of time and money. Location is the difference. best you can do for the money is get this http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=oem+trunk+light&product_id=93 GET THE CONNECTOR HOUSING. wire it in...you're golden. simple. Lots of posts on it.
  8. detroitmike

Real World MPG with DSG

Sell the car and shut up. Or quit pretending you're in a fighter jet and drive the car like a person that doesn't have only one day to live. Relax. I drive 3.5 hours a day. More than half is bumper to bumper traffic. So tired of the negativity on this board. Its a decent car. Not perfect. I...
  9. detroitmike

Words you Never want to hear

I'm guessing you never took it in for the recall installation of the Mis-fuel preventer. That sucks man. Maybe VW will cut you some slack. Just play dumb and tell them you have no idea what's wrong with it.
  10. detroitmike

Does filtering improve poor US diesel?

All you need is 1% - 2% biodiesel for optimum lubricity. Here is a good report all about biodiesel lubricity. http://www.eng.wayne.edu/user_files/414/file/Quick_Upload/Lubricity_%20Kapila(1).pdf
  11. detroitmike

My 10k service coming up on Monday

How would you know? Seriously.They take YOUR car off to another building and say these things have been done. Check out Munks in Waterford. They actually let you watch. btw...my tint is way cooler. :)
  12. detroitmike

2 stroke oil in your diesel = smiles?

Wow a whole 20k? :rolleyes: Just use powerservice if youre concerned. Your DPF is gonna take $hit on ya.
  13. detroitmike

First First First

Break-in Procedure: Beat the Piss out of it and dont change the oil for 10,000 miles. :D
  14. detroitmike

How many miles on your original turbo? (The anti-failure thread)

I do this. I'll never shut down over 450 and I let it idle in the drive for 10-15 minutes rather than shut it down with the egt's at 1100+. It sucks when I have to get into the office and...hey...my car just decided to go into a regen...
  15. detroitmike

High aluminum in oil analysis

this would be a good thread to document wear metal trends in the CKRA. i just did my 40k this morning and was going to get a sample but i couldnt find my blackstone sample jars.