Total QUARTZ INEO LL 5W-30 made by ELF

GolfGTD

TDI
2013 GOLF StationWagen TDI
I just ordered some of this stuff for the next oil change.
This is made by ELF, very popular in Europe and its fully synthetic oil with ultra low ASH levels. Its designed for extended drain intervals as well.
My first 2 oil changes were done at the dealer and both times i had green oil after the oil change...that indicates the CASTROL LL03 oil which is green, made in Germany and specifically designed for DPF Diesel applications with VW.

HAS ANYONE EVER USED IT? ANY OPINIONS OR EXPERIANCES???

The last time however i had the normal yellow color oil which was a bit disturbing, and i even asked what they used and they ensured me that the correct oil went in.
Now that oil has about 4-5k miles on it so it will be replaced with the TOTAL and we will see how things go from there. I may switch back to castrol depending on if there are any negative consequences with this stuff.

Front the website.
Synthetic Engine Oils
Quartz INEO Long Life 5W30
Formerly Quartz INEO 504/507
Quartz INEO Long Life possesses the most current specifications and is known as a new generation oil throughout Europe. It is especially adapted to German diesel technology although it can be used on gasoline engines as well. It has been specially approved by Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes-Benz and BMW.
Quartz INEO Long Life was developed using TOTAL’s advanced low SAP Technology to increase the longevity of the DPF and provide extended drain intervals while being environmentally friendly.
Visit www.Total-TechSpecs.com for current Material Safety Data Sheets and Product Data Sheets.

GolfGTD

TDI
According to VW, these are the only oils approved by them to be used in their 507 specifications.

VW 504 00 / VW 507 00

Elf Elf Solaris LLX SAE 5W-30
Motul MOTUL Specific 50400 507 00 SAE 5W-30
Castrol Castrol SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5W-30
Total Total Quartz Ineo 504-507 SAE 5W-30

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I've used it and didn't see a reason to continue due to cost and the strictness of the 507 requirements making all 507 oil very similar.

Your list is woefully short. Try the one in the thread listed in my signature.

And for the pedantics Elf is a brand of Total. Total is the renamed company of the merger of TotalFina with Elf in 2000.

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I am not sure where your concerns are. Castrol LL03 (gold bottle ) and the new one Castrol Edge AND Total Quartz INEO are VW 504/507 compliant. Color is meaningless unless you are trying to say they used a non compliant oil. Further you can mix or blend ANY VW 504/507 specification compliant oil. Incidentally the MC3 is NOT VW 507 compliant

Last edited:

GolfGTD

TDI
I believe that the color difference means that the dealer did not use the correct Castrol oil, that why i will be replacing it at a short interval.

Goes to show that you cant trust the dealer, if they continue to the change the oil with non specific VW 507 oils essentially the DPF will get clogged with ash and that will be outside of the warranty leaving the customer to deal with the expensive repair caused by their ignorance.

The few friends that i have that work at VW dealers have always told me not to trust what goes on behind the closed doors since the mechanics are overloaded with work and have no time to think what oil goes in what engine...

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
So are you going to solve that by using Total MC3 which is also the wrong oil?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I have been using Total Quartz INEO 5w30 VW 504/507 specification oil in an 09 Jetta TDI for roughly 35,000 miles (after 60,000 miles, Castrol LL03 and Castrol Edge VW 507 spec) , and a 12 VW Touareg TDI , as top up oil. The more recent iteration also earned the MB 229.51 designation, so I will use it in a MB GLK 250 BT also. Amazon has a pretty good price per qt IF you are ok with 3 eac 5 qt containers.

Last edited: