First First First

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Guys,

First off, thanks to the mods and the many knowledgeable people on this forum for their input.

Earlier this week I purchased a new 2014 Passat SEL TDI. Many firsts here for me:

My first post on this board
My first diesel
My first nondomestic car (I'm 53 years old) even though the car is built just up the road in Chattanooga
My first car with less than 250 hp.....ever!

Love the car so far, especially the fuel mileage. I tend to tinker with my cars to squeak out a few more ponies and/or better fuel mileage and I am wondering what can be done that does not void the warranty, doesn't effect the emissions (I am required to pass), and allows me to see some gains?

1) I noticed that the factory air cleaner intake snorkel is open both to the front and the rear allowing it to ingest hot air from the engine compartment? That seems to me to be counterproductive.
2) I have seen an exhaust system that touts 9 hp/23 ft lbs of torque that eliminates the muffler. How much louder is it?
3) Tuners, what can I expect?
And finally, I was taken aback by how poorly the car handles in turns compared to some of the other cars I've owned (Lincoln MKZ w/ Sport pkg, Cadillac CTS w/ Sport Pkg, Cadillac STSV, etc.). Granted, the Passat wasn't built for handling but I was kind of expecting a little more. In fact the stability control kicked on today while exiting on a long sweeping off ramp. What is available to tighten the car up without sacrificing too much ride?

Sorry for the long post and I promise my future posts won't be as winded.

Scott

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Welcome

Guys,
1) I noticed that the factory air cleaner intake snorkel is open both to the front and the rear allowing it to ingest hot air from the engine compartment? That seems to me to be counterproductive.
Yep, that part is one crazy part. I'm not sure what they were thinking. Maybe to protect against water ingestion?

There is also a round hole in the pipe.

I think there is also a pipe that comes from the exhaust manifold to the intake or filter box for warm air.

My thought is that a cold air intake does not mater since the air gets heated due to the compression by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
1. You will see zero gains from any sort of cold air intake modification.

2. You will see zero gains from any sort of legal exhaust modification, nor any increase in noise.

3. Only tuner you should consider: http://malonetuning.com/20l-cr-tdi

Not sure on the handling aspect. I don't mess with sway bars, coilovers, etc.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Best way to improve MPG's is to install a manual transmission. Other than that, welcome to the club!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
H&R sport springs make a huge difference... Ride and handling are how they should have been from the factory. Looks much better too...

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Thanks for the reply's. I thought about a manual trans but they didn't have any on the lot and it's getting harder to multitask the older I get lol. I will check out Malone for the tuner. As far as the handling, I will also check out H&R. Anyone else want to chime in? Oh, and I almost forgot, which Audi 20" wheels will bolt up? I'm thinking about upgrading the wheel/tire package.

Thanks, Scott

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
What others said.

About the wheels, although the 20 inch look better, keep in mind it makes the ride a bit harsh. I would suggest some 19 inch wheels. Although 1 inch doesn't seem like much, it's quite a bit and it gives you a wider selection of tires at a better price.

Welcome to the club. There is a break in procedure somewhere around here that should help with mpgs over the long run.

Also, a little tip with the dsg; on long drives I've noticed that if you keep it on cruise control it gives you a slightly poorer gas mileage because the car is trying to keep speed uphill.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
As for handling, it's simply unfair to compare a Passat TDI to any of the cars you compared it to, especially the CTS-V and STS-V.

The Passat TDI is tuned to give a smooth ride and handle like a family sedan - because that's what it is and who it's targeted to - the family car buyer.

If you want to increase mileage, you could try and go with smaller or lighter wheels and low rolling resistance tires.

Keep in mind small things make bigger gains on cars that get in the 30's and 40's MPG wise. Getting a 10% improvement in a vehicle that gets 17 MPG isn't going to be as visually exciting as getting a 10% improvement in a car that gets 35MPG. (1.7 vs. 3.5mpg)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
<SNIP>
2) I have seen an exhaust system that touts 9 hp/23 ft lbs of torque that eliminates the muffler. How much louder is it?
3) Tuners, what can I expect?
And finally, I was taken aback by how poorly the car handles in turns compared to some of the other cars I've owned (Lincoln MKZ w/ Sport pkg, Cadillac CTS w/ Sport Pkg, Cadillac STSV, etc.). Granted, the Passat wasn't built for handling but I was kind of expecting a little more. In fact the stability control kicked on today while exiting on a long sweeping off ramp. What is available to tighten the car up without sacrificing too much ride?

Sorry for the long post and I promise my future posts won't be as winded.

Scott
Welcome to the club, I have a 2013 Passat SEL.

1. Leave the intake alone. Nothing to be gained there, MPG or Power.

2. Advertising BS. I can sell you one that will increase your power UP TO a billion horsepower.

3. Malone has a good rep with this model.

4. Handling.... Air up your tires to 40 PSI and see what you think. Drive and steer in a SMOOTH and deliberate manner. (think LIMOUSINE)

I predict you will really like this car.....

Bill

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I think there is also a pipe that comes from the exhaust manifold to the intake or filter box for warm air.

My thought is that a cold air intake does not mater since the air gets heated due to the compression by the turbo and then cooled by the intercooler.
That pre-heat pipe from the exhaust to the air box has a flap controlled by a little thermo-slug that closes it against a spring (which forces it open). It would seem that at ambient warm temps it is closed, but when the incoming air is too cold, the spring forces it open to allow warmer air from the vicinity of the exhaust manifold to temper the air temperature to the turbo.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What others said.
About the wheels, although the 20 inch look better, keep in mind it makes the ride a bit harsh. I would suggest some 19 inch wheels. Although 1 inch doesn't seem like much, it's quite a bit and it gives you a wider selection of tires at a better price.
I have a set of OE Audi 19" wheels that I will run over the summer. I tested them for about 2 weeks early this winter but didn't want to ruin them (pothole season here). I agree with you about the ride quaity (19s were very nice), but I found the opposite to be true about tire selection and price. 19s were considerably more than 20s and I was limited to only a few brands in the correct size. I almost put the 19s up for sale when I started pricing tires.
I've never paid over $250 a tire before! Bit of a shock.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
I have a set of OE Audi 19" wheels that I will run over the summer. I tested them for about 2 weeks early this winter but didn't want to ruin them (pothole season here). I agree with you about the ride quaity (19s were very nice), but I found the opposite to be true about tire selection and price. 19s were considerably more than 20s and I was limited to only a few brands in the correct size. I almost put the 19s up for sale when I started pricing tires.
I've never paid over $250 a tire before! Bit of a shock.
Hmm that's interesting. I haven't had to buy tires for my 19s in a while but I remember there being a wide selection. What size are you running? I might have to rethink my wheel options then

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hmm that's interesting. I haven't had to buy tires for my 19s in a while but I remember there being a wide selection. What size are you running? I might have to rethink my wheel options then
235-40-19 to keep the correct overall size. I went with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 somethinorothers since they are rated as a LRR and have a high treadwear. They were slighty cheaper than the Contis too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5807426-Official-B7-Wheel-Fitment-guide/page4 I have two posts on this page with pics

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
In fact the stability control kicked on today while exiting on a long sweeping off ramp. What is available to tighten the car up without sacrificing too much ride?
Fairly certain your issue is with the stock tires more than the springs. They were most likely chosen for this car based on their ability to get great MPG. As such, they are notoriously hated because they supposedly ride harsh, get loud, and don't grip. Personally I have no problem with them...I like the MPG :eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thanks for the reply's. I thought about a manual trans but they didn't have any on the lot and it's getting harder to multitask the older I get lol. I will check out Malone for the tuner. As far as the handling, I will also check out H&R. Anyone else want to chime in? Oh, and I almost forgot, which Audi 20" wheels will bolt up? I'm thinking about upgrading the wheel/tire package.

Thanks, Scott
If you're looking for better fuel economy, you should install 17" wheels in place of your 18s. Installing 20s will kill your fuel economy.

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
If you're looking for better fuel economy, you should install 17" wheels in place of your 18s. Installing 20s will kill your fuel economy.
Kill my fuel economy? So if the overall diameter is the same between the 18" and 20" tire/wheel combination how is that possible? Granted, the 20" wheels are slightly heavier than the 18"s.

Scott

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kill my fuel economy? So if the overall diameter is the same between the 18" and 20" tire/wheel combination how is that possible? Granted, the 20" wheels are slightly heavier than the 18"s.

Scott
Heavier and usually wider... Although - I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I don't see a whole lot of a decrease with my summer 225/45/17s vs winter 195/65/15s but it's hard to say if winterized fuel/colder weather minimizes the better mileage the smaller tires get.

The 19s (235s vs 215s) I just bought are LRR tires. I only ran them for a week or so to test for rubbing and didn't get enough data to see how they affect mileage.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
More contact surface = more force to get going = more fuel required.

This is why running higher PSI in your tires generally nets you higher MPG. Letss surface area. Also think of bicycles - bikes built for speed generally have really skinny tires and they take a lot less effort to get going. Mountain bikes generally have wider tires - and they suck to ride in the streets for any length of time.

knownikko

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT

Scott
Generally they're quite a bit heavier. They also have most of their mass concentrated farther away from the center - more inertia to overcome. More energy to keep spinning. Rotational mass has a much larger overall effect on efficiency.