Recent content by BPatrick

1. B

Replacement Camshaft Wear

Hello, I recently replaced the cam on my 2006 Jetta BRM after it catastrophically failed on a cross-country trip. A valve was also damaged but I removed the head and had it fully checked for damages and the faulty valve replaced. I did the break-in step for the new came which is purchased from...
  2. B

Difference in Cam Kits?

Thanks, everyone for your opinions and information. I think this option looks like a good middle ground.
  3. B

2006 Jetta TDI Manual 235k

2006 Jetta TDI Manual 235k
  4. B

Difference in Cam Kits?

My cam is bad and Im gonna swap it out in this next week or so. I am unfortunately a broke college student and am not thrilled about spending $600+ on a new cam. My Jetta Already has 235K on it and I plan on cycling the car out in the next 2 years, it is by no means in mint condition. I am...
  5. B

2006 Jetta black smoke and no power...bad EGR

I do not have VCDS with me. My plan is to remove the EGR valve and see if it is gunked up tomorrow AM and also inspect the cooler for any breaks or other issues that may explain smoke getting into the cabin. If I am able to identify issues with the EGR cooler, is there a reason why I can't just...
  6. B

While I do not discount that it could be a camshaft, it occurred rather suddenly, plus the popping only occurs after about 1800 rpms (whne the turbo starts to kick in?) There is no knocking when running below boost rpms but I have a lack of power and a hard time getting the car up to speed. I...
  7. B

Hey Nord I know this is a very old post. I am currently 14 hours from home blowing black smoke with no power and popping noise. Almost exactly symptoms described above. I attempted unplugging the egr but it made no difference. You say to close the valve, how do you do that manually?
  8. B

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Hi, almost two decades later i just paid $5.25 in Arizona.
  9. B

2006 Jetta BRM EGR Delete

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything wrong with running it with the light on for now? I also live in Florida and phoneix so winter will not be an issue.
  10. B

2006 Jetta BRM EGR Delete

Hello, I am a mechanic of necessity not trade or hobby but I have rebuilt this car after a wreck so I know my way around a bit. My Jetta recently began hissing and after some research concluded it's the EGR. Instead of buying new EGR I was just going to delete it as it is not required in my...
  11. index.jpg

index.jpg

Inner Timing Belt Cover
  12. B

BRM Inner Timing Belt Cover

2006 Jetta TDI Please help, so i was in a crash on a trip that cracked a motor mount. Car drove fine for about 3 hrs till i hit a big bump and the mount failed. I got down to the motor mount and saw that the timing belt inner cover needs replaced as it was broken when the motor mount failed. So...
  13. B

Bad Cat Converter

So I just took my car to a mechanic and they told me I have a.bad Cat converter. Saw it myself with black soot all around it. However tomorrow I'm supposed to be driving to Florida from AZ. My car will lurxh a bit when accelerating but besides that I should be find to drive it to Florida? Is...
  14. B

Bringing it to 0. 2006 Jetta TDI

I just took de-greaser and a brush and scrubbed it down and used a hose to rinse the rest off
  15. B

Bringing it to 0. 2006 Jetta TDI

Do you think this is something I can accurately judge on my own? Or should I take it somewhere to get it inspected.