Difference in Cam Kits?

BPatrick

TDI
2006 Jetta
My cam is bad and Im gonna swap it out in this next week or so. I am unfortunately a broke college student and am not thrilled about spending $600+ on a new cam. My Jetta Already has 235K on it and I plan on cycling the car out in the next 2 years, it is by no means in mint condition. I am currently looking at two separate CAM kits and trying to decide between them.

KERMA:

https://kermatdi.com/i-2444-replacement-brm-camshaft-aftermarket.html

EBAY:

Extremely long URL

I understand neither of these is ideal, frankly im considering the EBAY **** one because it has a 2-year warranty. What's the worse that could happen, I have to do it again in a year? I have however purchased from KERMA in the past. For twice the price is the KERMA cam worth it?

Thanks, guys.

(Apologies if this has already been asked. Scanned the forums and didnt see anything.)

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
There was a member here that put a eBay cam on his car and it lasted over 60,000 miles until he sold the car. To me it kind of depends on the condition of the rest of the car. However, a good running BRM engine certainly has value at the end of the car’s lifespan reselling just the engine could be an option. The price on cam kits has certainly gone up the last couple of years.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My cam is bad and Im gonna swap it out in this next week or so. I am unfortunately a broke college student and am not thrilled about spending $600+ on a new cam. My Jetta Already has 235K on it and I plan on cycling the car out in the next 2 years, it is by no means in mint condition. I am currently looking at two separate CAM kits and trying to decide between them.

KERMA:

https://kermatdi.com/i-2444-replacement-brm-camshaft-aftermarket.html

EBAY:

Extremely long URL

I understand neither of these is ideal, frankly im considering the EBAY **** one because it has a 2-year warranty. What's the worse that could happen, I have to do it again in a year? I have however purchased from KERMA in the past. For twice the price is the KERMA cam worth it?

Thanks, guys.

(Apologies if this has already been asked. Scanned the forums and didnt see anything.)
I have seen the Chinese cams and would NOT run one of them in my car. They're trash.
Get an oem one or Franko6 one.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Get the franko6 one. That's what I put in my car at 140k miles. It still runs like new at 302k miles
I was a broke student back then just like you. I suggest you keep the car on the long term. I know the cam kit is way more expensive compared to the kits you have mentioned, but this one will probably last forever:

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
You won’t go wrong with cascade… fwiw I’m running that kit with a so called “stage 2 cam” that came in a box did made In China 12k so far and no problems

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
The cam in the link is NOT Chinese. Arron on the phone siad he thought it was made in Belgium (iirc) but when it arrived the box had a sticker that said China. I was kinda upset. He gave me the cam as a ‘free’ upgrade to the abive linked kit. If I could do it again I’d NOT make that choice. He did include an extra set of bearings or any one needs those…I have 12k on the China cam no problems. China has both good bad and mediocre manufacturing. It really varies factory to factory…

Back story…he gave me the stage 2 as an ‘ upgrade ‘ I was one of his Guinea pigs. I have started a thread about it. With little attention.
I had the cam specked at delta cams and it was not really stage 2 according to that guy BUT he do t know much about diesel PD engines , so maybe he’s wrong. I’d like to see a stage 2 delta cam specked out on his machine.
That said no one can tell me squat about the reading of my cam. Whatever car runs pretty good 37mpg lsd wagin driving like I stole it all in town or 80-90 highway. If I slow down to 60-70 highway I get 44-47. Which is what you’d expect from a PD wagon. I suspect m MPG would be better but I think my remanded pumps are letting a little extra fuel out when cold (white smoke when cold) could be compression too but I doubt it. I’ll have the proper tester soon, hopefully. Been trying to get one for months