Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
So let me get this straight... Due to your piss poor management of documents it's somehow ICBC & VW's fault :rolleyes:

I have a binder on my desk with every piece of paper ever issued for my last 4 vehicles.
Good for you. Why don't we start a vote on who saves every last piece of paper from a car bought 8yrs ago? :rolleyes:

So... through some magic, the bs is approved (before I sent ICBC tax form in!!), even have a dealer appointment for less than a month from now. I guess they aren't busy anymore?

Personally I don't see the point of asking for all documentation if the current owner is the same as the original purchaser.... VW has this documentation.... that's where recall notices come from. Duh.

BTW... I'm not ditching "TDI", buying a "fixed" same year wagon. Better be a tune available, plain vanilla is too slow for my liking. The returned Jetta has a $9k hit so no point in having VW fix it.

Oh, and if you haven't answered the recall's ever-confusing questionnaire at the end good luck. They ask you for a "turn-in" date, yet don't explain if this is your appointment date, pre-inspection, or what. Anyone's guess I suppose.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Oh, and if you haven't answered the recall's ever-confusing questionnaire at the end good luck. They ask you for a "turn-in" date, yet don't explain if this is your appointment date, pre-inspection, or what. Anyone's guess I suppose.
It's clearly document and has been discussed to nauseam here ever since the portal first opened.

turtlegirl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
At the risk of being repetitive, looking for some answers. Trying to figure out what the time frame is from uploading the offer letter to returning the car. Seems I was a little over zealous and put a deposit on an Audi. The offer letter was implying it could take 90 days to have the final appt. Really??? There's no loan on the car. Should be straightforward. Calling the # is incredibly painful, and doesn't seem to do much. Seems they operate on their own sweet time. Slower than molasses in January. Wondering if I should give up the car I found & start looking again once I have an appt booked. Would hate to do that. Any experiences?

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
waiting time from uploading offer

I did mine last week on Monday and receive offer for appointment 2 days later.
Good luck on your appointment setting date.

turtlegirl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
what a painful process...

I got the approval for the appt quick, 1 day. However, when I went to book the appt with the dealership where I bought the new car, it didn't show up on the list. No idea why. Some kind of glitch. Ricepoint told me twice they were going to escalate it, and never did. Equals another 3 days lost. And much wasted time on the phone. With no resolution yet. I can't believe how incompetent they are. And how long they take to process a claim. Hate to think if I still had a loan. They won't let me speak to a supervisor. They never give me any straight answers, always fluff. It's been 3 weeks since all paperwork was submitted, and they are just dragging their feet. Might be time to start searching for a VW higher up contact to talk to. Even with no glitch, appt has to be 20 days away, and then how much longer until I can actually take the car in? Again, no answers. Wish I could be so incompetent in my job & get away with it. Frustrated beyond words.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Once all my paperwork was submitted and approved the earliest I could book the buyback was almost a month away. I was told that's how much time they need to get all the paperwork ready. I was surprised it was going to take so long and I even called them several times to try and get an earlier appointment, but they were useless and had to stick with the available appointments that were showing on the online calendar. I'm taking it in next week for the buyback, I'm going to miss it, but my new e-Golf is easing the pain somewhat...

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Don't put up with it!

.... Frustrated beyond words.
Scroll back through this thread for the contact numbers that have helped others move this along. (or use the search tool)
There are a couple for Volkswagen and Ricepoint. I think some were for the VP's.
Contact the media who has already done stories on this and they might be interested in a followup as everything comes to a close.
Media has always made a big difference when it comes to corporate stupidity.
Good Luck turtlegirl

JB_VW

TDI
2009 Jetta 2010 Touareg
3.0l

Anyone know anything about the 3.0L settlements? I see the court dates have come and gone and there have been no updates on the site.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Anyone know anything about the 3.0L settlements? I see the court dates have come and gone and there have been no updates on the site.
Waiting for Quebec approval now. Rest of Canada is approved.

Coles notes:

Gen 1 - Fix, Trade in, Buyback options with damage payment.
Gen 2 - Fix with damage payment only.

JB_VW

TDI
2009 Jetta 2010 Touareg
Sounds nice! Options seem reversed tho...
Where did you find that info? The settlement page says nothing about courts approval yet and there’s no date for the claims program to begin.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Sounds nice! Options seem reversed tho...
Where did you find that info? The settlement page says nothing about courts approval yet and there’s no date for the claims program to begin.
7 seconds on Google....

https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/service/3-tdi.html

Volkswagen and Canadian class counsel have reached a nationwide proposed class settlement regarding approximately 20,000 affected 3.0L diesel vehicles. If approved, the 3.0L settlement program in Canada will include the following benefits:

• Cash payments to owners and lessees of model year 2013-2016 Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche 3.0L diesel vehicles (so-called Generation Two vehicles) who receive the recall for an emissions repair to bring their vehicle into full compliance with originally certified emissions standards, as well as an extended warranty.
• Cash payments to owners and lessees of model year 2009-2012 Volkswagen and Audi 3.0L diesel vehicles (so-called Generation One vehicles), as well as additional options that include buyback, trade-in, early lease termination or, if approved by the U.S. EPA and available by recall in Canada, a modification to reduce emissions.
• Cash payments for certain owners and lessees who no longer own or lease their Generation One or Generation Two 3.0L diesel vehicle.

The proposed nationwide 3.0L settlement is subject to approval by both the Ontario and Québec courts. Approval hearings will take place in April 2018 before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Toronto and the Superior Court of Québec in Montreal.

Current and former owners and lessees who wish to make a claim for benefits under the 3.0L settlement do not need to take any action at this time. The period to submit a claim will not begin until after the proposed settlement receives approval by the Courts.

However, owners and lessees in possession of a Generation Two (model year 2013-2016) vehicle do not need to wait to receive the emissions repair that has already been approved by the U.S. EPA. Notice is being provided when recalls for those repairs launch in Canada and are available at authorized Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche dealerships. Owners and lessees who choose to receive this emissions repair before the 3.0L claims program begins will not lose any right to an eligible cash payment under the proposed settlement.

JB_VW

TDI
2009 Jetta 2010 Touareg
‘If approved’ is key in your long paste. The court date to approve was earlier this month, to my understanding, and it’s been a few weeks since that date with no update on the site you pasted from.
I was just grasping at straws for an update, I guess I’ll just continue to quietly wait for the official site update.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon

turtlegirl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
FINALLY got an appt booked, after 3 long weeks of nowhere. Had to keep asking to speak to a supervisor at Rice point. They wouldn't let me talk to one, but would put me on hold while they talked to one. Wanted to give me an appt 3 weeks from now, I told them it wasn't good enough, as this was their screw up. And very quickly got approval to move it up a week. Trade in date May 10. Really a shame this happened. I would have kept the car. Loved the space and fuel efficiency. Anyway, on to the next chapter! If anyone else is having problems, keep at it. I must have called them every day, sometimes twice. They have NO follow up, and if they tell you they've escalated something, ask for proof. Maybe they finally got annoyed enough with me they just want to shut me up. :)

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Just when I thought I was done....

Ricepoint overpaid the loan by a payment... they got the payout number 2 days before a payment came out.

Then, even after VW Finance 'cancelled' the payment after my surrender date (the payment was nearly 2 weeks after the buyback), they took another payment...

So now I have to email them proof of overdraft costs so they can refund me... Glad I don't have a loan with them anymore, and likely never will again....

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Anyone handing back their Golf/Jetta want to trade in some Summer tires for my Winter tires on rims on their buyback?

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
Bringing mine to the dealer on the 7th.

So it appears you can't bring the car back on steel rims, no interior, no glass, no headlights/tailights, bumpers, stereo, etc. I guess VW smartened up after people brought naked cars back on steelies. https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refuses-to-buy-back-the-stripped-out-car-rig-1790345158

They want the OE rims on the car. I've got winters on them. Oh well.

I've already pulled off my GLI grille and fog lights/lower grilles, etc. Those are going on the JSW replacement. I can't stand that OE chrome garbage 2x4 bumper.

Still have to source an RNS-510, organize window tint, and get a REVO tune.

Last edited:

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf

So it appears you can't bring the car back on steel rims, no interior, no glass, no headlights/tailights, bumpers, stereo, etc. I guess VW smartened up after people brought naked cars back on steelies. https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-refuses-to-buy-back-the-stripped-out-car-rig-1790345158

I plan on bringing mine back on May 3rd and I still have my winter steelies on. Were you told specifically that you have to have the original wheels on?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I plan on bringing mine back on May 3rd and I still have my winter steelies on. Were you told specifically that you have to have the original wheels on?
I certainly wasn't told, and I brought ours back on winter steelies with worn-out snow tires with old B6 Passat wheel covers that were seriously discoloured. Nobody batted an eyelid. I think at that time we figured, dealer included, that the Gen 1 cars were going to the crusher. The alloys from it now sport winter tires and are the winter wheels on my wife's wagon (on mine I have 15" steelies and Jetta 6 base wheel covers). In addition to the steelies, ours had a broken right front coil spring.

Maybe now that they have a fix they are thinking of rehabilitating the better bought-back cars? Or maybe they just want to part them out.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon

That article is specifically for the US, which, originally, their settlement did not remove all doubt that bringing back a rolling shell was okay. The judge has subsequently amended the settlement...

However, there is no such judgement in Canada. Now, the FAQ says that if you are stripping parts, that may 'delay' your settlement.... but nowhere does it say that you will be denied.

In fact, the FAQ is trumped by the settlement (it even says so in the footnotes). That means that it really only needs to run under it's own power...

Also, a poll of 100 people in the Facebook group had NO ONE get denied for steel wheels, and only 2 or 3 even get any kind of issue - in those cases, the Ricepoint rep just called into Ricepoint HQ to tell them it was on steelies, and that was it.

They can't deny you for steelies. Mine went back without alloys or my monster mats since I bought them extra.... not a word was mentioned at all.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Everything was original on our car minus floor mats which are for sale.
They never complained...car was mint, in and out....Used VW winters and new unused summers. PM if interested lower mainland bc only please.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Everything was original on our car minus floor mats which are for sale.
They never complained...car was mint, in and out....Used VW winters and new unused summers. PM if interested lower mainland bc only please.
Wait, you gave them TWO sets of wheels?

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Wait, you gave them TWO sets of wheels?
Sorry no original wheels and tires were left on the car...
The car was stock and mint ...
We kept their original pristene carpeted unused FLOOR MATS and kept the VW winterized floor mats which were used.
Both are for sale.
Sorry for any confusion:D

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Just turned mine in today with my winter steel wheels on. The individual didn't care, all he asked me to do was start the car and he looked at the KM as well. I was a bit concerned because the rep from Ricepoint who called two weeks before my turn in date to confirm my KM on the car specifically told me it had to have the original wheels on or it would be denied.

So as others have said here, no issues with steel rims. I'm keeping my original rims for my e-Golf when I get tired of the look of the e-Golf rims :)

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
VW Credit reversed the payment that they stole from me.... So I'm officially done.

Save for getting rid of all of my spare parts.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Just turned mine in today with my winter steel wheels on. The individual didn't care, all he asked me to do was start the car and he looked at the KM as well. I was a bit concerned because the rep from Ricepoint who called two weeks before my turn in date to confirm my KM on the car specifically told me it had to have the original wheels on or it would be denied.

So as others have said here, no issues with steel rims. I'm keeping my original rims for my e-Golf when I get tired of the look of the e-Golf rims :)
Good luck...would not own another VW...lovin the cute little 2018 Volt we bought...as I said Good Luck with the eGolf...I mean it...hope it works out.;)

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
I have been driving my depreciation free Golf until now. Unfortunately the left front spring has just given out (it’s broken). It’s too expensive to fix so I have parked it in the driveway and will take the buy back.

After playing around with the Vehicle Value numbers in step 11 of the claims portal I discovered I am within 10 km of the top of a mileage range if I return my car after July 1. 10 more km and I would get $1200 less. Return it before July 1 and I would receive $1200 less. I’d like to claim good planning but it is just dumb luck.

So I am parking the car, hiding the keys and will schedule an buyback appointment for after July 1. It’s 7km to the dealer so I will be 3 km under the limit! Better not run into any detours on the way there!

How should I declare the current km when I submit my claim and when I get the phone call from RicePoint to verify current km? The FAQ says Vehicle Value is calculated based on km declared in the phone call and you must not drive more than 2000 km before you bring it back. Does that mean they will add 2000 to the km I give them in the call to calculate Value (bad) or that they will calculate Value on the km I give them and allow me to go over this by 2000 km (which could give me some slack)

To be sure I don’t lose out I think I will declare 2000 km less than my current km and show up at the dealer having “driven” just under the 2000 km limit. Good plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Hey guys in BC. I just got my appointment to return my TDI in June. Ricepoint want the registration for the car at hand-in but I also need that to cancel my ICBC and licence plates don't I?

I know there is a logical answer for this but need some advice, thanks.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys in BC. I just got my appointment to return my TDI in June. Ricepoint want the registration for the car at hand-in but I also need that to cancel my ICBC and licence plates don't I?

I know there is a logical answer for this but need some advice, thanks.
I think we signed some transfer papers...
They only take the registration part of your paperwork and they give you your plates back. We then went to ICBC with the insurance part of the paperwork as well as the plates.
Can't recall it exactly but Ricepoint gave us back everything we needed to get our money from ICBC and what ever they did take we got them to give us a copy.
:)

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
To be sure I don’t lose out I think I will declare 2000 km less than my current km and show up at the dealer having “driven” just under the 2000 km limit. Good plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Probably...can't hurt...because the final number will be under your margin..imo
It is all a shell game anyway so it definitely wouldn't hurt to play safe.