Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I think we signed some transfer papers...
They only take the registration part of your paperwork and they give you your plates back. We then went to ICBC with the insurance part of the paperwork as well as the plates.
Can't recall it exactly but Ricepoint gave us back everything we needed to get our money from ICBC and what ever they did take we got them to give us a copy.
:)
Thanks Joe, I will trust that Ricepoint will give me back what I need to cancel my insurance and get a refund.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
How should I declare the current km when I submit my claim and when I get the phone call from RicePoint to verify current km? The FAQ says Vehicle Value is calculated based on km declared in the phone call and you must not drive more than 2000 km before you bring it back. Does that mean they will add 2000 to the km I give them in the call to calculate Value (bad) or that they will calculate Value on the km I give them and allow me to go over this by 2000 km (which could give me some slack)

To be sure I don’t lose out I think I will declare 2000 km less than my current km and show up at the dealer having “driven” just under the 2000 km limit. Good plan?
Exactly what I did. Just make sure that the ODO you show up with is within 2000km of the number you gave them - and at the same time, 2000km under that ODO breakpoint where you lose $1200.

Now, so long as you actually on't go over that breakpoint, you are owed the value it shows for that breakpoint. So even if you gave them your current ODO, and they estimated your buyback as if you had mileage above the breakpoint - if you roll in under, they'd give you a second check. It's one of the two ways you can get a 'bonus' check.

000Weasel000

Center of the Universe....aka Toronto Ontario
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Howdy Folks....

I initially joined here when I bought my TDI highline back in 2010, but as I didn't visit the site in ages, my account must have been disabled, so I rejoined in February/18 to get caught up on the scandal...

I decided to keep my car, as I'm not in a position to take on a car loan at this time, so I went through the process of submitting all my documents, and completed everything, only to get the following response from RP:

Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps.

What??? I was under the impression that a fix was already available for my vehicle? Is that not correct?

Regards,

000Weasel000

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Howdy Folks....

I initially joined here when I bought my TDI highline back in 2010, but as I didn't visit the site in ages, my account must have been disabled, so I rejoined in February/18 to get caught up on the scandal...

I decided to keep my car, as I'm not in a position to take on a car loan at this time, so I went through the process of submitting all my documents, and completed everything, only to get the following response from RP:

Your acceptance of our offer is complete. We will notify you if EPA approve a modification for your vehicle. Once a modification is available, Volkswagen will then contact you regarding next steps.

What??? I was under the impression that a fix was already available for my vehicle? Is that not correct?

Regards,

000Weasel000
It is, unless you have a manual Passat.

Go to the dealer, book the appointment, get it done, money comes in a week.

They haven't updated the portal in forever, hence the outdated note.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Do we know what the hold up is for the manual Passat?
No hold up - there is no fix for them (Pre 2015 ones). VW gave up on it. Which means the only option is buyback - no matter when you bought it - or early lease termination.

Link here

Last edited:

Q-town Ranger

TDI
My 32 year affair with turbo diesel Jettas ended yesterday with the return of our '09 TDI. We drove it 210,000 km trouble-free, the last 2.5 years with no depreciation. :) The buy-back was trouble-free, agent was good to deal with. I wish VW had been more committed to turbo diesels; these were good cars and there's nothing out there with a comparable combination of price, economy and performance.

We bought a new RAV 4, which is nice generic transportation and should last, but not in the same league for performance.

over and out

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
My 32 year affair with turbo diesel Jettas ended yesterday with the return of our '09 TDI. We drove it 210,000 km trouble-free, the last 2.5 years with no depreciation. :) The buy-back was trouble-free, agent was good to deal with. I wish VW had been more committed to turbo diesels; these were good cars and there's nothing out there with a comparable combination of price, economy and performance.

We bought a new RAV 4, which is nice generic transportation and should last, but not in the same league for performance.

over and out
Guess you haven't heard about the Rav 4 problem with gas leaking into the crankcase, keep an eye on your oil level. Real problem ....no solution...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not to derail the thread, but that happens to the Rav4, too? My parents had this happen in their Honda CRV (drained 8L of fluid from 4L crankcase...and it smelled strongly of gasoline).

Back on topic: I see the Americans are now getting called in for the Phase2 fix on the 2015 TDIs; anyone in Canada get notification yet?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Not to derail the thread, but that happens to the Rav4, too? My parents had this happen in their Honda CRV (drained 8L of fluid from 4L crankcase...and it smelled strongly of gasoline).

Back on topic: I see the Americans are now getting called in for the Phase2 fix on the 2015 TDIs; anyone in Canada get notification yet?
Chances are about 0% that VW is going to actively contact owners to pay them another $3500 and pay their techs another few hours of time if they can hold out and wait....

Keep bugging your dealer... that is the best option.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Do you have to do the Phase 2 modifications to get the warranty extension?

Reading the American phase 2 threads it sounds like it takes a long time, and they have to drop the subframe. My prediction is the cars never drive the same again.

Might be worth forfeiting the second $3500 if you still get the warranty for 11 years or whatever.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Do you have to do the Phase 2 modifications to get the warranty extension?
Reading the American phase 2 threads it sounds like it takes a long time, and they have to drop the subframe. My prediction is the cars never drive the same again.
Might be worth forfeiting the second $3500 if you still get the warranty for 11 years or whatever.
It's almost like there is comprehensive documentation on this topic, provided from VW or something....
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
- 11 years or 261,000 km, whichever occurs first, from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
- 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date
and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At
the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honoured for 5 years or 97,000
km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...-TDI-BOOKLET_GEN-3_ENGLISH-final_new-size.pdf

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
parts guys havent heard anything as of yet here at least. and reading that ricepoint told one person that if none by the 15th, you can turn the car in.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Has anyone had to restart the entire process?

Offer letter received, jumped through hoops, all documents accepted according to the portal, and then out of nowhere they inexplicably send a new offer letter and you have to start the whole process again?

That's what happened to my wife. She sent her already completed documents again, and now they wouldn't accept them. The only difference is the date on the offer letter. So she has to start from the beginning of the process. It's like they just lost everything.

She's going for the repair...not a buyback.

Edit: Forgot to mention, what a bunch of clowns.

Hiphead

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6sp
Submitted documentation Friday, June 1st. My ownership address doesn't match drivers license - should I expect a problem here? And how long should I expect to wait for documentation to be reviewed?

roarengine

TDI
audi q5(2015)
Hi I submitted my documentation via the VWsettlement website. I was offered the standard amount based on mileage and year of the car, as stated on the website. They forwarded me a letter to sign. Just debating whether what my options are at this point, I fall under the 3.0 tdi generation 2 cash and fix category. Thanks

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hi I submitted my documentation via the VWsettlement website. I was offered the standard amount based on mileage and year of the car, as stated on the website. They forwarded me a letter to sign. Just debating whether what my options are at this point, I fall under the 3.0 tdi generation 2 cash and fix category. Thanks
Your options are take it, or leave it.... That is pretty much it...

However, you can likely leave it, opt out, and sue on your own if you like.... if the window to opt out is still open? I'm not sure, didn't follow the 3.0L that close.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Your options are take it, or leave it.... That is pretty much it...

However, you can likely leave it, opt out, and sue on your own if you like.... if the window to opt out is still open? I'm not sure, didn't follow the 3.0L that close.

LOL this ^^

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My 2011 Golf Wagon was returned to VW as scheduled today June 8. The procedure was fairly simple and friendly. I met the representative inside the dealership and as it was raining offered to take my keys, check it out, remove my licence plates and let me continue to enjoy my cappucino. After that, a few signatures and then he handed me a cheque that looked more like a photocopy. The next step was unexpected.

The dealer (Open Road VW in Burnaby, BC) offered to drive me somewhere. I thanked them very much and accepted a ride to my bank where I deposited the cheque. I moved some amounts here and there and I supposed since my account has been there a million years they did not withhold any funds.

I have to give a few folks some love. Here we go:

1. Tdiclub and all the members for providing solid dependable information throughout this process.
2. Open Road VW for taking me in as a customer when they first opened this dealer only a few years ago.
3. Open Road BMW for accepting me as a customer and helping out beyond what was expected with my replacement vehicle.

Lastly I want to thank Volkswagen AG. You sold me a brand new car 7 years ago and promised a well built, reliable and economic car that would give me good service. I am happy to report that today I handed it in 180,000 km (110,000 miles) later. The car was on its second set of tires but it still was on its original (6 spd manual) clutch and its original brake pads. As far as I can tell, the lifetime economy for this car was between 36 - 38 mpg (urban/highway). Besides regular oil changes and other routine maintenance items the only other work was $75 for a broken coil spring that I bought at an auto wrecker.

If VW were selling 2018 TDI models I am confident I would have bought one. I think I understand the EPA debacle. Your only motive was to give me the car I wanted and that's what I got. Yes there was a hiccup but it wasn't against my best interests. So thanks again VW, hope to see you again soon.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
also read that a free oil change goes with stage 2
last line of M on page 12 of long form

Last edited:

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Just an FYI the unsold 2016's from here went to Mexico for one . I saw a guy talking about his . wondered why it had fog lights and a block heater.