Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Completed my TDI trade-in process today. Took 10 minutes to complete.
Very efficient and professional, can't say the same about the new car delivery tho.
Sad day. :(

Last edited:

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Completed my TDI trade-in process today. Took 10 minutes to complete.
Very efficient and professional, can't say the same about the new car delivery tho.
Sad day. :(
I'm going to be turning mine in around May. How long did it take from first filling out the forms online to getting approval for the buy back?

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
I'm going to be turning mine in around May. How long did it take from first filling out the forms online to getting approval for the buy back?
The TDI settlement went very smoothly for me. I had all the paperwork approved within one week. That was last May 2017.

You can go ahead and start the online process, then pick a buyback/trade date later on. I changed my trade-in dates no less than 4 times, due to the replacement/new car dealer incompetence. Keep in mind that every time you change the buyback/trade-in date, it moves ahead by 4 weeks.

If you plan on turning in around May, I would advise you to start the process now. Like I said above, scheduling/wait is running at least 4 weeks right now.

Last edited:

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
The TDI settlement went very smoothly for me. I had all the paperwork approved within one week. That was last May 2017.

You can go ahead and start the online process, then pick a buyback/trade date later on. I changed my trade-in dates no less than 4 times, due to the replacement/new car dealer incompetence. Keep in mind that every time you change the buyback/trade-in date, it moves ahead by 4 weeks.

If you plan on turning in around May, I would advise you to start the process now. Like I said above, scheduling/wait is running at least 4 weeks right now.
Thanks, much appreciated :eek:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I was hanging around at Step 11 for months... about 11 of them. Just changing my buyback dates and mileage to figure out how they changed over time. Simultaneously I was looking for a replacement car, which I found in January.

Once I was confident that the new car would suit our needs, I went back into the portal and submitted my numbers and option (buyback), and was hoping to be able to do the appointment around April 1st (the date I had determined that my mileage would still allow the maximum buyback amount).

I submitted everything into the portal on Feb 23rd. I had to upload my DL a couple ties cause it expired on the 23rd, but I completed the portal process and chose my appointment this AM (earliest I could get was April 6th, pretty close to my goal).

So, 11 business days start to finish, and a couple of those were due to the DL issue, so you may be able to get through it in a week if everything goes smooth. note - the appointment options didn't really change much based on the dealer I chose (tried three), so I would guess that once you get an approved offer - it will only allow appointments 3+ weeks out by default. I should be getting my 20 day phone call mid next week, and beyond that, it's just a matter of returning the car back to stock and making sure all my personal junk is out of it. Oh, and hoping it runs since it's been parked for a month or so...

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
. Oh, and hoping it runs since it's been parked for a month or so...
Drove 1300 or so kms out of 2000 kms allowed, and returned the car empty.
Hopefully, they will not try to load it on the upper deck of the transport truck, it may just run out if they lean the car back enough... :p

Empty
by dsldub, on Flickr

truszip

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 B7 tdi
Mines a manual car and what I understand is that the cars are going to be crushed as there is no fix, how stringent are they with taking stuff off. I have set of projector headlights that I’d like to take off and don’t have a set of OEM replacements as I sold them years ago. Wondering how they’d feel if I asked if I could keep them. Anybody have any experience in this??

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Mines a manual car and what I understand is that the cars are going to be crushed as there is no fix, how stringent are they with taking stuff off. I have set of projector headlights that I’d like to take off and don’t have a set of OEM replacements as I sold them years ago. Wondering how they’d feel if I asked if I could keep them. Anybody have any experience in this??
Unless it's a manual Passat, there is a fix for it. Manual cars have been getting fixed for a year now.

But anyway, yes, if your car goes back with missing headlights, you will 100% be denied as it is obvious stripping, which is against the settlement.

Even the college kids they've hired as claims admin's at the dealerships are going to notice that....

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Ya I figured as much, oh well. How about rims, I have aftermarket rims on it is that going to be a problem?
If the car doesn't have wheels when you try and return it? Yes, same problem.

If it has wheels & tires of any kind, you'll be fine.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
If the car doesn't have wheels when you try and return it? Yes, same problem.
If it has wheels & tires of any kind, you'll be fine.
Planning on returning mine in May and hope to return it with worn out winters on steelies...should be OK?

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Oil leak & loose splash plate after emissions fix

I noticed an oil leak sometime after having the emissions fix done on my 09 Jetta. Noticed a light oil slick floating on top of water runoff on the drive. Put a large baking pan under to collect & protect the drive. Seems to be about a quarter teaspoon per month or less.

Any chance this is associated with having the fix?

Also noticed the main splash plate is not secured to the engine & is hanging down about 3inches at the back. Is it possible that the splash plate would conceal a minor leak by collecting & holding the oil? In this case, maybe the leak developed b4 the fix and the unsecured splash plate hangs down spilling leaked oil? I am at about 220Kkm & looking forward to getting 300Kkm.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
Concerning PST refund in BC

Well we just received a politely worded letter of denile, based on the fact we paid HST.
We were not denied because of it being over 4 years since the purchase.
I recommend anyone who purchased their car in BC and paid PST to apply for a refund.
Good Luck.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
And remember, fellow BC-ers, for some totally f***-ed up reason, PST on cars is 12%.

Oh wait - that's used cars.
I wonder if someone can apply for a PST rebate if they bought their car *used* from a VW dealer prior to September 2015 (?).

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
And remember, fellow BC-ers, for some totally f***-ed up reason, PST on cars is 12%.

Oh wait - that's used cars.
I wonder if someone can apply for a PST rebate if they bought their car *used* from a VW dealer prior to September 2015 (?).
If you paid pst (in BC) and was refunded for returning the car, you should file for pst refund from BC.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Wagon returned on Friday. Rolled in on steelies and almost bald all seasons. Not a question at all from the RP rep.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Well we just received a politely worded letter of denile, based on the fact we paid HST.
We were not denied because of it being over 4 years since the purchase.
I recommend anyone who purchased their car in BC and paid PST to apply for a refund.
Good Luck.

Odd. We just got the wife's letter of acceptance for her portion of the PST on Friday! Though as stated only eligible for 50% of the PST paid in 2010 still works out to $450ish :D

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
Getting run-around for paperwork

So trying to do buy-back for my wife's 2009 Jetta TDI.... what a run-around. Clarkdale VW in Vancouver doesn't keep paperwork past 5 years old. The emissions settlement people are asking for orig proof of sale. Even though we've already sent them the original insurance registration and registered ownership proof for subsequent years. Even an email from dealer that the car is ready for pickup. Pretty much except for 2yrs every insurance renewal. BTW we are in BC.

Now have to take 1/2 day off work to go to ICBC head office and request the original tax form for the vehicle purchase.

What a stupid run-around. Was thinking of buying a new vw using portion of the money. Reconsidering now. VW is not making this bs easy. Pretty pissed off right now.

Plus after agent on the phone said a carfax is ok. Spent $60 on a carproof report, sent it in. Denied again. Second agent says "sorry, carproof is not acceptable" even though it reports only 1 owner. Jerks. :mad:

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
So I sent the recall people an email from 2008 where it's from the dealer talking about our car arriving in town ready for pickup soon. Put big red block letters on there saying if this isn't straightened out soon I'm getting on a plane to Toronto. So we take the morning off to go to ICBC offices and request the original tax payment form (they have it on microfiche) which cost $10 btw.... that and a letter from ICBC stating that we had requested this.... get to work and our claim has been approved! Really? So it comes down to you threatening them to get approved. Big joke that is. So we blew 2.5hrs this morning getting the paperwork all for nothing. Awesome VW! Thank you so much for the runaround. We'll see how long it takes to get a cheque now.

So trying to do buy-back for my wife's 2009 Jetta TDI.... what a run-around. Clarkdale VW in Vancouver doesn't keep paperwork past 5 years old. The emissions settlement people are asking for orig proof of sale. Even though we've already sent them the original insurance registration and registered ownership proof for subsequent years. Even an email from dealer that the car is ready for pickup. Pretty much except for 2yrs every insurance renewal. BTW we are in BC.

Now have to take 1/2 day off work to go to ICBC head office and request the original tax form for the vehicle purchase.

What a stupid run-around. Was thinking of buying a new vw using portion of the money. Reconsidering now. VW is not making this bs easy. Pretty pissed off right now.

Plus after agent on the phone said a carfax is ok. Spent $60 on a carproof report, sent it in. Denied again. Second agent says "sorry, carproof is not acceptable" even though it reports only 1 owner. Jerks. :mad:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

So I sent the recall people an email from 2008 where it's from the dealer talking about our car arriving in town ready for pickup soon. Put big red block letters on there saying if this isn't straightened out soon I'm getting on a plane to Toronto. So we take the morning off to go to ICBC offices and request the original tax payment form (they have it on microfiche) which cost $10 btw.... that and a letter from ICBC stating that we had requested this.... get to work and our claim has been approved! Really? So it comes down to you threatening them to get approved. Big joke that is. So we blew 2.5hrs this morning getting the paperwork all for nothing. Awesome VW! Thank you so much for the runaround. We'll see how long it takes to get a cheque now.

So let me get this straight... Due to your piss poor management of documents it's somehow ICBC & VW's fault :rolleyes:

I have a binder on my desk with every piece of paper ever issued for my last 4 vehicles.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Odd. We just got the wife's letter of acceptance for her portion of the PST on Friday! Though as stated only eligible for 50% of the PST paid in 2010 still works out to $450ish :D
Odd indeed....When did you buy the car originally?...was it before they introduced the Hst?....July 2010

truszip

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 B7 tdi
Took my Passat in to VW today. The RP rep asked to start the car that was it. In and out no more than 15 minutes. All in all a good experience.