Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
For those who have gone with the fix, how long did it take to get your restitution payment? The dealer said clients were getting cheques 3-6 weeks later. The website is showing the modification is complete.

Brought mine in this morning at 7:30am and was given a rental. Got a call to pick up at 2pm. A couple of other recalls were done at the same time (snow cap and rear axle inlays). Didn't notice any difference on the way home (~10km).
Took exactly one week for my cheque to show up last September. I found my mileage went down ~0.2 - 0.5 l/100km (but it didn't show up on the trip computer, trip computer showed no change, but hand calc showed a change). I have also experienced some shuddering at throttle lift/light throttle around 2200 RPM, but only on days that are ~7-9 C outside (with a manual transmission). Otherwise, drives the same.

John

turtlegirl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I just got an email from VW this morning that my 2014 Passat manual doesn't qualify for a fix. I called their 888 #, and the guy confirmed it. Only option at this point is trade in/buy back. Did anyone else get this? Really?? Are they going to raise the amount they give me for it? I stand to lose by getting rid of it. What about extended warranty? And why the new development now?

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I just got an email from VW this morning that my 2014 Passat manual doesn't qualify for a fix. I called their 888 #, and the guy confirmed it. Only option at this point is trade in/buy back. Did anyone else get this? Really?? Are they going to raise the amount they give me for it? I stand to lose by getting rid of it. What about extended warranty? And why the new development now?
I got the same email.
Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,
Our records indicate that you may be in possession of a manual transmission model year 2012-2014 2.0-litre TDI Passat originally sold or leased in Canada (“Manual Gen 2 Passat”) that is affected by the nationwide Volkswagen/Audi 2.0-Litre Diesel Emissions Settlement Program in Canada (the “Settlement”).
You are receiving this notice because an Approved Emissions Modification will not become available in Canada for the Manual Gen 2 Passat.
This notice contains important information for (1) Canadian Settlement Class Members in possession of Manual Gen 2 Passat, and (2) owners in possession of Manual Gen 2 Passat that were registered in the U.S. from September 18, 2015 through January 4, 2017, who have not yet received benefits under the Settlement for those vehicles.
Owners of Manual Transmission MY2012-2014 2.0-litre TDI Passat
If you are an owner in possession of a Manual Gen 2 Passat who is eligible for the Settlement, regardless of whether you purchased your Manual Gen 2 Passat before or after September 18, 2015 or formerly leased your vehicle, you may choose between a Buyback, or Trade-In toward the purchase of a replacement new or used Volkswagen/Audi vehicle from a Volkswagen/Audi dealership in Canada, and receive a cash payment.
To receive a Buyback or Trade-In, you will be required to resolve any outstanding loans on your Manual Gen 2 Passat and unpaid Québec traffic tickets and fines before surrendering your vehicle. Loan Forgiveness will, where applicable, be available toward satisfaction of any outstanding loans on the vehicle.
Alternatively, you may wait until June 15, 2018 to withdraw (i.e., opt out) from the Settlement if you do not wish to receive benefits from the Settlement and wish to preserve your legal rights against Volkswagen. Opt-out requests will be accepted from June 15, 2018 through August 15, 2018. Additional information will be forthcoming at www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca about how to submit an opt-out request.
Lessees of Manual Transmission MY2012-2014 2.0-litre TDI Passat
If you are an eligible lessee under the Settlement who was leasing your Manual Gen 2 Passat from VW Credit Canada, Inc. (also known as Volkswagen Finance) on September 18, 2015, and your lease remains active when you participate in the claims program, you can choose an Early Lease Termination and receive a cash payment.
Alternatively, if the term of your lease ends before September 1, 2018, you may receive a cash payment at the conclusion of the lease if you do not purchase your vehicle at lease-end.
If you think you are included in the Settlement and have not yet received benefits for your Manual Gen 2 Passat, it is recommended that you contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773 to understand what benefits may be available to you. You can also direct questions to the lawyers representing Settlement Class Members, at no charge, by calling 1-866-881-2292 or 1-844-425-2934 for Canadian residents except for Québec and 1-888-987-6701 for Québec residents and French inquiries.
Owners and lessees have until September 1, 2018 to submit a claim for benefits and, if eligible, until December 30, 2018 to obtain their chosen benefit. Claims can be submitted via the online portal available at www.VWCanadaSettlement.ca. Please note that the online portal is being updated, which may temporarily prevent you from electronically submitting a claim for a Buyback or Trade-In. These updates will be completed by March 1, 2018.
If you have questions about the claims process, you can contact the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773. Claims cannot, however, be submitted through the Claims Centre.
Sincerely,
RicePoint Administration Inc.
The Notice Administrator of the Settlement
So VW Canada has officially thrown in the towel on a fix for these cars.
if I'm reading the email correctly it looks like we have to wait until after the portal is updated to see what VW will give us manual owners for our cars. Probably irrelevant for me as I have no intention of doing a buy-back or trade in, unless I'm unable to renew my registration with the province.

turtlegirl

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
After speaking to them, keeping the car doesn't seem to be an option. You would forfeit the settlement amount (for me around $5900), and the car might be deemed undriveable by emissions. Someone other than VW. This is a big letdown for me. I bought this car for efficiency, and specifically for the manual. Try finding a decent family sized car these days with a manual. They even got rid of the gas Passat manual after 2015. Not to mention extra cost that I wasn't planning on spending right now. What a shame. Extended warranty is pretty much lost. Might get some prorated amount. They say that the compensation amount is to partially cover that.

Booth44

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I guess we'll just have to wait to see if the Ontario government issues a statement or updates the relevant web page: https://www.ontario.ca/page/volkswagen-diesel-models-and-emissions-testing

Interesting that they say the fix is "recommended" as soon as it's available, not "required". Looks like the only hurdle to re-registering the sticker is to pass Drive Clean - which shouldn't be a problem - and pay the $$$$ for a new sticker of course.

Time will tell, I guess.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I got the same email.
So VW Canada has officially thrown in the towel on a fix for these cars.
if I'm reading the email correctly it looks like we have to wait until after the portal is updated to see what VW will give us manual owners for our cars. Probably irrelevant for me as I have no intention of doing a buy-back or trade in, unless I'm unable to renew my registration with the province.

VW of America and VWAG actually.... Canada didn't go out on their to find fixes, they just copied what the US did (since we basically copy them in terms of the EPA as well).

I can't see a province going through the work (time and money) to try and force owners of vehicles to not register their car, especially when there isn't a fix offered.

It would be a far better route for the provinces to fine VW, put that money into remediation, and continue to collect tax dollars from the cars owners year over year...Win win...

I do think that the settlement should be amended to give the damage payment to manual Passat owners though, as they were robbed of the 'keep your car and get money' option...

lb71

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline Manual w/ Nav

7mmBR

TDI
2012 passat
2012 Passat TDI manual transmission

Hi all, re my 2012 Passat TDI manual transmission, I opted for the "fix" and 5K+ compensation, but near as I can determine the fix may not even be coming for the manual. Haven't stopped a ta dealer to inquire, any others here better updated, and do I need to be concerned about a deadline? Happy with the car, hoping to keep it. Yes in Canada

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hi all, re my 2012 Passat TDI manual transmission, I opted for the "fix" and 5K+ compensation, but near as I can determine the fix may not even be coming for the manual. Haven't stopped a ta dealer to inquire, any others here better updated, and do I need to be concerned about a deadline? Happy with the car, hoping to keep it. Yes in Canada
No fix will ever be available - so your only settlement option is buyback. That means there is no way to get any money out of this unless you do the buyback, OR - you may opt out and sue them on your own.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
Hey guys have a little situation, dropped off my 2013 jetta tdi for the fix yesterday. I get a phone call hour later they cant do anything as the vehicle has check engine light on. I am very particular about my vehicle and the vehicle DID NOT have check egine light on at all. They are telling me it came on 500 km's ago and apparently there is a problem with DPF Filter.....
I asked for the proof(which i am in the middle of getting ) They are seeking for help from VW Canada....I am shocked that they keep insisting that the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON....
For instance this vehicle has never had check engine light on, since i have owned it, no soot in the exhaust pipe etc.....
can anybody advise what to do in this situation? has anybody else experiences this?
Thanks guys for your help

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hey guys have a little situation, dropped off my 2013 jetta tdi for the fix yesterday. I get a phone call hour later they cant do anything as the vehicle has check engine light on. I am very particular about my vehicle and the vehicle DID NOT have the light on at all. They are telling me it came on 500 km's ago and apparently it need DPF Filter.....
I asked for the proof(which i am in the middle of getting ) They are seeking for help from VW Canada....I am shocked that they keep insisting that the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON....
For instance this vehicle has never had check engine light on, since i have owned it, no soot in the exhaust pipe etc.....
can anybody advise what to do in this situation? has anybody else experiences this?
Thanks guys for your help
Call the one of the lawyers from the settlement. Nothing in the settlement docs regarding the fix says your car can't have a CEL on when you get the fix.

You can't have aftermarket add-ons like a chip, exhaust ect. But a CEL should be fine.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
Hey bud, thanks for reply...
Car is factory stock.
Vehicle did NOT have check engine light on prior to dropping off the vehicle ....

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
It could have been a stored code for something else that did not show up as CEL. Sounds like the dealer is trying to help you by seeking help from VW Canada. I'd wait for the dealer response then update here again.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Thanks it got resolved. all of sudden I was "told" there is no check engine light and fix went through...
Good.

Also, never go back to that dealer again. Make sure you make your disappointment known on their dealer survey too.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Got the call from RP earlier this week to confirm KM's. They will have the cheque ready for when I drop the car off I assume, but my question is:

Do I need to deposit the cheque first before I can do the trade-in? (I can always deposit via app on smartphone)
I have the buyback and new car delivery scheduled for the same day and was hoping to use that cheque's (basically the whole amount VW is giving me for the TDI) amount along with the FMV to dump as much $$ into the new car.

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Got the call from RP earlier this week to confirm KM's. They will have the cheque ready for when I drop the car off I assume, but my question is:

Do I need to deposit the cheque first before I can do the trade-in? (I can always deposit via app on smartphone)
I have the buyback and new car delivery scheduled for the same day and was hoping to use that cheque's (basically the whole amount VW is giving me for the TDI) amount along with the FMV to dump as much $$ into the new car.
Speak to the dealer doing the transaction. The check is NOT certified - so they may not let you apply it directly. Signing over checks is up to their bank, not them, so you may have to deposit it, and then wait for it to clear, and then apply it to your loan after that manually.

At any rate, nobody on the internet can answer this for you since it literally depends on the branch of the bank that your dealer uses... There isn't a set answer.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Speak to the dealer doing the transaction. The check is NOT certified - so they may not let you apply it directly. Signing over checks is up to their bank, not them, so you may have to deposit it, and then wait for it to clear, and then apply it to your loan after that manually.
At any rate, nobody on the internet can answer this for you since it literally depends on the branch of the bank that your dealer uses... There isn't a set answer.
Exactly. My dealer allowed us to endorse the cheque over to them, but others here have not been able to do this. Best to clarify it with the dealer first so that there are no unwanted surprises.

dsldub

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Wagon TDI
Thank tho!
Makes sense, and kinda what I figured. I can always send in the funds later on to VW Finance via snail mail.
When I ordered the car, they implied that they'd take the cheque off my hands, but that was a long time ago (last September, yep, I ordered my car last SEPTEMBER!!!, it's been a fun ride), and that sales guy isn't there any more anyways...
I'll have my own certified cheque at the ready that day.

truszip

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 B7 tdi
Now that there is no fix for the manual transmission cars I’m going to be trading my passat in. Can anyone tell me even roughly what the settlement was for trading a 2012 with roughly 80 klm on it in very good condition? Just want to get an idea as to what I can afford.
Thanks.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Now that there is no fix for the manual transmission cars I’m going to be trading my passat in. Can anyone tell me even roughly what the settlement was for trading a 2012 with roughly 80 klm on it in very good condition? Just want to get an idea as to what I can afford.
Thanks.
Go to the settlement portal and check there.... If you are already past step 11, call the hotline and get them to reset you back to step 8 and go from there.

Sorry to say, you've lost a lot of fair market value waiting around for the fix.... which is totally unfair but you can't do ****e about it, unfortunately.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It's been less than a week and I've gone thru 500 of the 2000kms allowed already.
You don't need to give them your actual mileage on the call. You can tell them a higher number, giving you some buffer. So long as you show up with MORE than 'the number you gave them' and less 'than the number you gave them plus 2000' you are fine.

If you think you are going to drive 5000km in the 20 days you are given, give them an odo number that is 3000km higher than your current odo.

lb71

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline Manual w/ Nav
Another article related to the city ban.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...r-companies-could-do-without/article38127614/
Even before Tuesday's decision, diesel was in near freefall in Germany. In 2015, diesel accounted for 48 per cent of the market. Last year, the figure was 39 per cent.... Fiat Chrysler Automobiles... plans to kill off diesel cars by 2022, according to a Financial Times report, evidently because the cost of developing much cleaner diesel engines will be murderous. Toyota, for its part, has said it is unlikely to launch another diesel model.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon