Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Got my letter as well for the Gen 3 Phase 2 update, Emissions Recall 23Y8. Going to wait a while until the dealers here have done a bunch.... at least that's my plan......

datdiguy

TDI
2015 'Cleaned up' Golf Sportwagon Comfortline TDI 6 Sp Manual
Hi Just got a Gen 3 Phase 2 update for my 2015 VW 6 Speed Sportwagon. With the first one I got 4.2 l/100km over 4,000 km to go from Halifax NS to London On return through Toronto and Montreal carrying 3 adults and luggage.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Phase 2 done on my 2015 GSW. Haven't had a chance to take it for a long drive yet, though. They said this was like the third or fourth one they've done.

Given that it's a 7hr. job (their booking), I had the option to take a rental car at VW's expense; didn't need it, so I had to sign that they had at least offered it to me. So anyone wondering - no worries; you will not be left without wheels if you need 'em.

While they were at it, they noticed some leaking around the DEF injector and replaced that as well.

Last edited:

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
I got my notice last week as well, but I am debating getting anything done right away.

I have only 36000KM's on my 2015 wagon. So far no problems at all.

I think for the warranty purposes, I should wait as long as I can if I am reading the specs correctly.

Is there some kind of "due date" that we have to go by once we have received the Phase 2 notice?

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
I just re-read the letter. On page 2 it states that for those who purchased a 2015 after the Phase 1 fix was already applied, that if you have less than 64K (auto Tranny), that they will not apply the fix at this time. Need to wait til at least 112k.

I bought my NOS 2015 (with Phase 1) as part of the buy back for my 2010 wagon, so this applies to me.

I guess I will just let the dealer know the situation.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...if you have less than 64K (auto Tranny), that they will not apply the fix at this time. Need to wait til at least 112k.
This is NOT correct information.

The phase 2 update (maybe just software(?)) will still be applied, but they will not replace the DPF, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, or SCRC at that time...return at a later date...

So - you still need to bring it in (and can get second payment!) when you're ready, effective...last week (?).

I made my appointment before getting the letter, so if you're eligible, don't think you need to wait for the letter; call up your local dealer and get in there.

Last edited:

FreshBlather

TDI
2013 Passat
body damage exceeding $2k

Received the scheduling email today. One question was about body repair in excess of $2000. If you have a repair that exceeded that amount will it affect the settlement amount?

JatoUnit

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI, Black, "Lola"
Received the scheduling email today. One question was about body repair in excess of $2000. If you have a repair that exceeded that amount will it affect the settlement amount?
No, and the top of that page explains that it won't. They use that question to help pre-screen the cars and help sort them into ones they can sell again and ones they can't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
My in-service date was June 13 for the phase 2a/2b recall. Dealer still has the car as they claim they are waiting for a NO2 sensor. Back ordered they say. Anyone heard the same?

I’m a little bit ticked to say the least....but have had a loaner car from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
My in-service date was June 13 for the phase 2a/2b recall. Dealer still has the car as they claim they are waiting for a NO2 sensor. Back ordered they say. Anyone heard the same?

I’m a little bit ticked to say the least....but have had a loaner car from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was supposed to get mine done this week, but the dealer called and cancelled because of parts problems.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Wanted to post my buyback experience for others that haven't yet done it but are going to.

I just turned in my 2011 wagon at Bytek VW in Ottawa. Smooth process, 10 minutes from walking in to walking out. Pleasant guy who handled it. I did return it with non-VW alloys as my original alloys were long gone. Seemed to be no issue (they didn't mention it, I didn't ask). I had also mentioned it to the Ricepoint rep on the phone during the pre-surrender call, didn't seem to be an issue then either, despite them saying to "return it on original wheels".

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
How in the blazes are you supposed to save all the scans of your final offer into one document that's under 10MB? I've been saving it and the smallest I can get it is 15MB and it gets rejected everytime I go to upload it on the portal.

Am I missing something?

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
How in the blazes are you supposed to save all the scans of your final offer into one document that's under 10MB? I've been saving it and the smallest I can get it is 15MB and it gets rejected everytime I go to upload it on the portal.

Am I missing something?
Look for options with your scanner to reduce the resolution. It sounds like you have it at too high a setting for that maximum size. When I scanned and saved the 9 pages as PDF, I did at 200x200 (dpi) and it was just over 2 MB total.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Look for options with your scanner to reduce the resolution. It sounds like you have it at too high a setting for that maximum size. When I scanned and saved the 9 pages as PDF, I did at 200x200 (dpi) and it was just over 2 MB total.

^ This - mine's 9 pages and only 28kb.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Am I missing something?
Try a phone app like Scanner Pro or "Scan to PDF Free" (Android) - they're pretty good at capturing good-quality pages in pdf format. 9 pages = 2.5MB via Scanner Pro.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
There’s quite a few “new” 16 TDI Q5’s hitting dealers’ lots lately, at least here in BC. Beautiful machines and I’m tempted.

I also see the Skyactiv D also achieved CARB approval, EPA next, meaning that Mazda should have a diesel CX5 sometime this year.

What to do? Any advice?

Pros: Q5= 4 yr/80000 km warranty + at least 1 yr CPO warranty + great financing if required + 10 yr warranty via settlement.

Con: closest dealership 2hrs away.

CX5 = ?

Last edited:

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Have dealers been providing a free oil change at stage 2 as previously communicated.
Interesting question.... considering the oil change is suspiciously absent from the wording in the Emissions Booklet (https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/w...-TDI-BOOKLET_GEN-3_ENGLISH-final_new-size.pdf)
Even though it's in the full settlement wording:
Two-Stage Approved Emissions Modification for Generation
3 Engines. In the event that the Approved Emissions
Modification for Eligible Vehicles with a Generation 3 engine
must be implemented in two separate stages, Eligible Owners,
Eligible Purchasers and Eligible Lessees of such Eligible
Vehicles who are eligible for and who elect the Approved
Emissions Modification Option will receive a payment when they
complete the first stage of the Approved Emissions Modification
in the amount of fifty percent (50%) of the applicable Damages
Payment. A payment of the remaining fifty percent (50%) of the
applicable Damages Payment, as well as an oil change with
respective engine oil filter at no charge
, will be rendered to the
same Eligible Owner, Eligible Purchaser or Eligible Lessee, as
the case may be,
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Settlement-Agreement.pdf

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The wording for the free oil change can be found in the court settlement documents... It does not apply to those who bought new old stock TDIs.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I completed the Phase 2 fix; no oil change for me.

After reading the quoted (thanks, @ecode!) section from the settlement, though, I'm making a phone call to my dealer right away.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The wording for the free oil change can be found in the court settlement documents... It does not apply to those who bought new old stock TDIs.
Not so sure on this.... based on this:

In the
event that ownership of an Eligible Vehicle with a Generation 3
engine changes after the first stage of the Approved Emissions
Modification is completed, and without the second stage
completed, a subsequent owner of the Eligible Vehicle that
completes the second stage of the Approved Emissions
Modification will receive an oil change with respective engine oil
filter at no charge, as well as a payment of fifty percent (50%) of
the Damages Payment that would apply if the subsequent owner
was the same Eligible Owner, Eligible Purchaser, or Eligible
Lessee, as applicable, that completed the first stage of the
Approved Emissions Modification for the Eligible Vehicle.
Purchasing these new-old stock cars that had phase one done, but were waiting for phase 2 seems to fall in this category.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The definitions section has this to say about Eligible Vehicles:

“Eligible Vehicle” means a Volkswagen- or Audi-brand vehicle equipped
with a 2.0-litre diesel engine that (a) is of a model type and model year
listed in Schedule “A”; (b) was originally either sold, or leased from VCCI,
in Canada; (c) at any point during the period from September 18, 2015
through the Pre-Approval Notice Date, was registered in Canada with a
-14-
provincial ministry of transportation or an equivalent agency, or owned by
an Authorized VW Dealer or Non-VW Dealer that holds title to the vehicle
or holds the vehicle by bill of sale, but excluding any of the vehicles with a
VIN listed in Schedule “C”

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Near-real-time follow-up: Called the dealership, they looked at my history, then said, "Yep - you've had the work done, and we did not do the oil change, but you are certainly entitled to that; when would you like to come in?"

And to re-assure any other people who might be in the "but I didn't buy it brand new before diesel gate broke" situation, I am second owner of this vehicle - purchased December 2016, having been an insurance write-off with "rebuilt" status here in BC.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
The definitions section has this to say about Eligible Vehicles:

“Eligible Vehicle” means a Volkswagen- or Audi-brand vehicle equipped
with a 2.0-litre diesel engine that (a) is of a model type and model year
listed in Schedule “A”; (b) was originally either sold, or leased from VCCI,
in Canada; (c) at any point during the period from September 18, 2015
through the Pre-Approval Notice Date, was registered in Canada with a
-14-
provincial ministry of transportation or an equivalent agency, or owned by
an Authorized VW Dealer or Non-VW Dealer that holds title to the vehicle
or holds the vehicle by bill of sale, but excluding any of the vehicles with a
VIN listed in Schedule “C”
I thought I remembered something about those cars not being eligible - but couldn't remember where.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Interesting thing happened at my buy back. It seems that RicePoint has gotten tougher about getting the alloy wheels back. I returned my Golf for buy back last week with my winter steel wheels on it. The agent asked about the original alloy wheels (I had given them to my son a while ago). The agent took pictures of the wheels which he emailed to RicePoint.

On the phone the RP rep told me that they needed the alloy wheels back. He actually tried to tell me that the class action settlement terms required the wheels to be returned. When I pushed back he admitted that it was a recent change in VW policy that required the wheels be returned. I said VW can have whatever policy they want but that the buy back was only subject to the terms of the court ordered settlement.

I insisted that I wasn’t going to get the wheels back from my son despite their demand. The buy back was delayed until the next day so the RicePoint rep could check with his supervisor.

Next day they asked again for me to get the alloys back. I said I couldn’t do that. They said OK and gave me the cheque. Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Interesting thing happened at my buy back. It seems that RicePoint has gotten tougher about getting the alloy wheels back. I returned my Golf for buy back last week with my winter steel wheels on it. The agent asked about the original alloy wheels (I had given them to my son a while ago). The agent took pictures of the wheels which he emailed to RicePoint.

On the phone the RP rep told me that they needed the alloy wheels back. He actually tried to tell me that the class action settlement terms required the wheels to be returned. When I pushed back he admitted that it was a recent change in VW policy that required the wheels be returned. I said VW can have whatever policy they want but that the buy back was only subject to the terms of the court ordered settlement.

I insisted that I wasn’t going to get the wheels back from my son despite their demand. The buy back was delayed until the next day so the RicePoint rep could check with his supervisor.

Next day they asked again for me to get the alloys back. I said I couldn’t do that. They said OK and gave me the cheque. Done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Classic case of hindsight...

BUT... there would be ZERO way to enforce that a car that is potentially a decade old has the same wheels on it... no matter the terms of the settlement. The lawyers knew this, hence there was no written mention of the alloys (plus, many cars didn't come with alloys anyway).

My car went back on steelies and bald tires. Was also missing the parcel cover, mats, and navigation unit. Hadn't been washed since the scandal broke, and was about 50k past due for an oil change and DSG flush. Had a gash on the front bumper from a rock on the 401 and a dent in the door from a truck tire on the 403...

Rep didn't bat an eyelash. This was in April. But I was prepared for a fight... just in case.

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
buyback help

can someone please help me understand the numbers here and the tax savings? this is my first car and i bought it outright

according to the vw settlement page:

1) Buyback with trade-in:

Value 21,100
Damages 5,950
Total 27,050
FMV 14,900

2) Buyback

same number minus the FMV

For example, if i'm looking at getting into a 2019 Tiguan (say release date is Sept/Oct) with a final price of $50k...how does the tax portion come into play? Do i have to wait for the vehicle to be released or can a deposit be put on it?

Also, the Sept 1 deadline, what actually needs to be completed by then? if i complete the forms and upload the docs, when am i locked into a decision?

Thanks

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
can someone please help me understand the numbers here and the tax savings? this is my first car and i bought it outright
according to the vw settlement page:
Value 21,100
Damages 5,950
Total 27,050
FMV 14,900
2) Buyback
same number minus the FMV
For example, if i'm looking at getting into a 2019 Tiguan (say release date is Sept/Oct) with a final price of $50k...how does the tax portion come into play? Do i have to wait for the vehicle to be released or can a deposit be put on it?
Also, the Sept 1 deadline, what actually needs to be completed by then? if i complete the forms and upload the docs, when am i locked into a decision?
Thanks

Value 21,100
Damages 5,950
Total 27,050
FMV 14,900
You use Up to 14,900 towards your new car. If you were to use ALL of it, that 14,900 comes off of the price of the new car, AND you don't pay tax on it. You get a check for for 12,150.

2) Buyback
You get a check for 27,050

Depending how much tax you charged (which province), you could be saving an extra $2,000 in taxes.

Example.... New car is $30,000 (can be new or used, so long as it's a VW or Audi at a VW or Audi dealership).

Cost of car: 30,000
Subtract the FMV (30,000-14,900) = 15,100 is the new subtotal of the new car
Tax on new subtotal (Ontario for example) = 15,100 x 1.13 = 1,963
Total cost of new car = 17,063

So, for the new car you owe 17,063. You can pay that however you like.... loan, mash, whatever. You could even use the check you are getting as part of the settlement (12,150). Meaning you'd only have to come up with 4,913 to pay it off.

OR....

Here's the Buyback only option, with a car also worth $30,000:

Car Cost: 30,000
Tax (Ontario): 3,900
Total car cost: 33,900
Buyback check: 27,050
Total cost for car to pay: (33,900-27,050) = 6,850

So there's your tax savings....

Note, this assumes you owe nothing on the car you are trading/selling back... If you do owe anything, that will come out of the total award first....

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
i own the car outright

Ive uploaded the documents and the status shows its in the 3rd column (audit, settlement package etc)....is this considered "submitted" by Sept 1 deadline? or after finishing column 3?

for now, i've set it up for a trade in

RT777

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have a question.

I got the TDI Fix warranty at around 170,000km. My car now is at 195,000, is it still under the emissions warranty here in Canada? My DPF light is on, and I think my turbo is on it's way out.

Also, does the warranty cover stuff like the N75, Wastegate or diverter valve?