Whats to hot?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Odd question and something I never thought I'd post because it seems dumb.
What is too hot for alh coolant?
I replaced my thermostat and now its reading at 99C in vcds. Only tops that if i hold it wide open for quite a stretch.
Its a 195f thermostat, and i wouldn't care lf it was only like 15 degrees over, but now im questioning if its ok like this. Its not over heating at all so I'm not to worried, just trying to figure out if this will become a problem come summer time.
Anyone know what most of your temps are actually reading?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
What was going on with the old tstat?

Magic 8 ball says 99c equals 210.2f. So plus 15.

Did you test before installing?

Is the air worked out of the system?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What was going on with the old tstat?

Magic 8 ball says 99c equals 210.2f. So plus 15.

Did you test before installing?

Is the air worked out of the system?
It was running at 70c previously. Now at 99c. Everything seems good so i guess its working. Seems slightly close to 220f but whatever.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Bentley says the thermostat should start to open at 85c/185f and be fully open at 105c/221f.

My ALHs run at 92c plus or minus 2c depending on load according to scanguage.

Your new thermostat is a bit hot, but not excessively so.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Bentley says the thermostat should start to open at 85c/185f and be fully open at 105c/221f.

My ALHs run at 92c plus or minus 2c depending on load according to scanguage.

Your new thermostat is a bit hot, but not excessively so.
Ok, I'll check it again when it gets warmer out, but for now seems to function well.
Maybe it'll break in a little. I don't think its how they work but whatever. Heat is better then its ever been before.
Its a stant which from what I know is super popular on american cars.

Normally wouldn't care but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't malfunctioning. Seems ok though. Also wanted to see if there are any reasons it should not be ran that hot. Seems like it will be ok though.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Time for more logs 😁 Tune might not be running so efficient, which can happen. shouldn't be running that hot in the winter where you're at. Of course always the possibility tstat isn't working right

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would remove/replace that stat. I assume it's some sort of aftermarket.
By the time summer temps come around you will probably see higher coolant temps and/or fans running a lot. Higher coolant temps will create higher oil/other temperatures which I don't care for.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I would remove/replace that stat. I assume it's some sort of aftermarket.
By the time summer temps come around you will probably see higher coolant temps and/or fans running a lot. Higher coolant temps will create higher oil/other temperatures which I don't care for.
Would I see higher temps or would it keep opening at that 99c keeping it that temp throughout.
Because in theory no matter the temp the thermostat should keep it at whatever the popping open temp is unless the radiator can't keep up. Right?

It is a stant thermostat.

I do agree about the temps though. 210-220f is not a whole lot of wiggle room.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Your fans should be running if it's that hot. So if theyre not, either your fan temp switch is bad or the coolant temp sensor is reading wrong. So you need to figure out exactly what's wrong

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Your fans should be running if it's that hot. So if theyre not, either your fan temp switch is bad or the coolant temp sensor is reading wrong. So you need to figure out exactly what's wrong
But only if the coolant in the radiator is getting to hot right?
The coolant sensor is telling me the numbers from the block?
My fans worked last fall, haven't had them turn on so far that I know of, but its only about 30f outside. With my radiator blocked or unblocked seems to make no difference in the 99c I am running.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Even so with the block temps being 210 all the time I do pull a trailer and i guess that kind of worries me that I will be climbing higher temps when jumping onto the freeway. If it was 205 I wouldn't even be here asking. The thing that really sucks is now i don't have more coolant so i have to try and salvage it if I replace the thermostat again today.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I put in a different brand thermostat and it says 98c. This one is a 192f thermostat..... sooo at this point i think my coolany temp sensor may be just slightly off.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Didn't feel all that funny at the time burpod😄. I lost the lower tstat housing bolt trying to put it in. Searched for an hr with a magnet. Called part stores. Nobody carry's them. Searched for it another hr in the engine bay and everywhere Have to drive 1.5hrs tonight and no way to get there. Ended up stealing a oil pan bolt so that i could drive the car this week.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s probably stuck in the bracket where the a/c compressor sits……that’s usually where I drop mine….kinda gets lodged in there , need a screw driver and magnet to fish it out…

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s probably stuck in the bracket where the a/c compressor sits……that’s usually where I drop mine….kinda gets lodged in there , need a screw driver and magnet to fish it out…
Probably. I tried getting behind the IP bracket and under it from every angle i could see. Couldn't seem to find it even after taking the tstat flange off again to get better angles.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I put in a different brand thermostat and it says 98c. This one is a 192f thermostat..... sooo at this point i think my coolany temp sensor may be just slightly off.
Yet another reason to have an IR gun

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Would I see higher temps or would it keep opening at that 99c keeping it that temp throughout.
Because in theory no matter the temp the thermostat should keep it at whatever the popping open temp is unless the radiator can't keep up. Right?

It is a stant thermostat.

I do agree about the temps though. 210-220f is not a whole lot of wiggle room.
In "theory" yes, but in reality most likely not.
When I first wintered with my first TDI I experimented with several parts store thermostats as the one in the Jetta didn't get near 190. Most never reached 180 (including a Stant) with the exception of one beautiful looking piece made in Israel. It ran hot. Broke down and ordered a Wahler and it kept the ScanGauge happy at 190 in most non Sub-Zero F conditions.
Buy an OEM or Wahler stat.

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
Had the same issue with a Stant Tstat. Would run 210-212F normally in the summer. Did some digging and apparently its not recommended to normally run over 200F. Guess it warps the head over time.

Ordered an OEM from IDparts and now I'm almost always inside of 188-192F.

Only plus side to running hot was the fuel mileage. I had several consecutive tanks at 56-57 mpg.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I saw this guy on tiktok do a clever thing by placing a small strong magnet in the forefinger tip of latex glove. He thing worked his finger around and can retrieve the 10mm everyone loses.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I saw this guy on tiktok do a clever thing by placing a small strong magnet in the forefinger tip of latex glove. He thing worked his finger around and can retrieve the 10mm everyone loses.
I saw that method used on season 8, episode the last day part 1, Brooklyn 99. But not a TDI

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Honestly either of those idea's would have been great when i lost the oil pan bolt that goes through the rear main seal. It got stuck in the little centerpiece of the transmission that is apparently a bolt trap (if that makes any sense). I ended up using a bent piece of wire with a magnet on the end and several attempts before finally getting the bolt into the rear main.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
An update is that the new tstat I put in is functioning way better showing 93c consistently (idk why it showed 98c the first time). Sadly the heat isn't near as good but that is to be expected.
Its just an orielly's moto-rad tstat, but the tbelt will need to be done next year sometime at which time I'll just do a new tstat/housing/seal and coolant sensor along with it.

markdave

TDI
tdi 1.6
Odd question and something I never thought I'd post because it seems dumb.
What is too hot for alh coolant?
I replaced my thermostat and now its reading Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin at 99C in vcds. Only tops that if i hold it wide open for quite a stretch.
Its a 195f thermostat, and i wouldn't care lf it was only like 15 degrees over, but now im questioning if its ok like this. Its not over heating at all so I'm not to worried, just trying to figure out if this will become a problem come summer time.
Anyone know what most of your temps are actually reading?

Last edited:

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
Did some digging and apparently its not recommended to normally run over 200F. Guess it warps the head over time.
Could you elaborate on how this happens or did someone on reddit just pull this out of their ass? If the coolant isn't boiling, and is holding pressure, how is 210 vs. 200 going to warp a hunk of aluminum that also has exhaust gas upwards of 1000F flowing through it?

markdave

TDI
tdi 1.6
I ended up using a bent piece of wire with a magnet on the end and several attempts before finally getting the bolt into the rear main.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
OH DAMN !

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ummm, yea thats going to cause a problem....
I definitely didn't get that hot. Happen to know what temp that was touching?