What did you do to your MKIV today?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I just bought a full swap for my bug bew dsg with 106k miles just i case the dsg craps out. Repair on the dsg would be unlikely with it as parts are pretty much NLA. When that happens, i will will have a full set of oem NOS axles for sale which cannot be found anywhere at this point. Believe me we have tried but managed to scrape a set together last year.
The swap is an 02m FMH code with wavetrac, oem rebuilt axles and all the bits for auto to manual swap.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Finished up getting the driving lights mounted. I suck at taking pictures of the process... I'm *doing* the process. I could never make a living on Yoot Toob.

Here are pictures of the finished product. Just imagine that behind each of the socket head screws you see there is a threaded rod coming out of a rivnut in the bumper beam.

I might paint it grey when I finish up the wiring so it blends better. The Volvo this kit started life on had a dark bumper and grill.

These lights are what Hella was supplying to pro rally teams a few years ago. They lay down about a half a mile of daylight, makes spotting suicidal bambies much easier.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Same boat lol. Who wants a car collection of super cars. I want all the wacky stuff.
Same here... and I've been working on the list of wacky stuff. It helps that some of the odd stuff is cheap.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
My wife frowns on my expenditures on these VWs so i have her drive it when i have finished. The @burpod tuning had her questioning what i was doing and whether it was worth it. Her smile was all i needed to see especially on the bew after she exercised it.
Same here... and I've been working on the list of wacky stuff. It helps that some of the odd stuff is cheap.
I bailed on the van. Can't afford more cars and don't have room. Pics make it look in great condition but if I go look it probably comes home. Instead I want something new. Something new with a broken timing belt and maybe swap in an Alh haha.

Shiboxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW JETTA ALH TDI (SOLD)
Finished up getting the driving lights mounted. I suck at taking pictures of the process... I'm *doing* the process. I could never make a living on Yoot Toob.

Here are pictures of the finished product. Just imagine that behind each of the socket head screws you see there is a threaded rod coming out of a rivnut in the bumper beam.

I might paint it grey when I finish up the wiring so it blends better. The Volvo this kit started life on had a dark bumper and grill.

These lights are what Hella was supplying to pro rally teams a few years ago. They lay down about a half a mile of daylight, makes spotting suicidal bambies much easier.

I see a plug On the driver side bumper, aftermarket block heater?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
(Actually Thursday/Friday, but who's counting)

Came out of work to head to evening committment on Thursday, no crank. Opened the hood and I could hear the solenoid clicking but no "spinny-spinny" (whacking starter did not help). Got a ride to my committment with a coworker heading to the same thing, and a ride back to work afterwards. Called AAA and got it and myself towed home ("Gold" membership with 100mile tow radius benefit FTW).

Dug into it on Friday: Pulled battery/battery tray and inspected the wiring. Nothing hanging loose wires. Used my jumper cables to jump battery positive to the braid between solenoid and motor (batt neg to neg cable in car), motor spun right up. Solenoid now "prime suspect" (either internal failure or dirty connections)

Tried to locate replacement solenoid as standalone part, no dice (even tried VW dealer, though they did a VIN lookup for me and said that indicated I have a Bosch starter. I could not see any markings/labels on the starter itself). Tried to remove solenoid from starter and only succeeded in stripping two of the three T25 bolts (the third actually came loose), I also managed to lose the nut holding the braid onto the solenoid post.

By the time I'd run out in the other vehicle and gotten a replacement nut (and a couple other things), it was getting late and with rain coming on Saturday (and a weekend packed full of other "to-do" stuff), decided it was time to put it back together and get it to the mechanic. Was planning on trying the old "short the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver" trick to avoid another tow.

Once all back together, went to turn on the key for the screwdriver trick and went to "start" without thinking (or maybe just wishing). Darn thing cranked right over like it was brand new. Shut it off and tried it a half dozen times more, just to be sure it wasn't a fluke (wasn't). Starter has been flawless ever since.

Best guess at this point is that one of the connections (likely the braid-solenoid one) had come slightly loose, and my pulling/restoring all the connections as part of my efforts got things "back to rights", but I'm not complaining. I'm just happy it's "fixed" and working.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Once all back together, went to turn on the key for the screwdriver trick and went to "start" without thinking (or maybe just wishing). Darn thing cranked right over like it was brand new. Shut it off and tried it a half dozen times more, just to be sure it wasn't a fluke (wasn't). Starter has been flawless ever since.
Son's wagon did that a year or so ago leaving our place. We tow started it. It restarted normally when he got home and hasn't done it again since.

I assume small dead spot on the commutator.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Son's wagon did that a year or so ago leaving our place. We tow started it. It restarted normally when he got home and hasn't done it again since.

I assume small dead spot on the commutator.
Unfortunately, having an 01M means a tow start isn't an option for me.

I can't say I can completely dismiss that possibility, but I've hit the starter maybe 15-20 times since putting it back together without a hiccup.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Brought home the families 4th MK4, 3 golf’s and one Jetta. One parts golf, which just needs to go away now. Todays haul was a 2005 Golf 5 speed, technically only a 4 speed at the moment. Need to see what is wrong with 5th gear. And when I say the family, I mean my son and I as my wife and daughter do not like our cars.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Brought home the families 4th MK4, 3 golf’s and one Jetta. One parts golf, which just needs to go away now. Todays haul was a 2005 Golf 5 speed, technically only a 4 speed at the moment. Need to see what is wrong with 5th gear. And when I say the family, I mean my son and I as my wife and daughter do not like our cars.
While not "common" it happens on occasion...

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
While not "common" it happens on occasion...

Thanks FUB. Not sure if that is the better case for a bad 5th gear or not. Will see what it looks like Saturday I hope.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Man, what's up with them? Most girls seem to think my car is cute... 🤣 JK
Yeah!

Wife pinched my 2DR. Should have towed it home by myself instead of letting her drive it home I s'pose. Then I made it worse by getting a small tune from @burpod. Only a small one since it is going to be getting a better clutch soon...and some .260's to go with the VNT17( it needed a turbo ). Took my black leather GTI seats too...

Douglas

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Had the timing belt changed today and the powertdi 216 injectors installed, man what a difference over the auto 158 injectors that were in there, I now have some passing power with slight haze at wot. Hope the Valeo clutch holds up for a while.

Last edited:

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I did the venectomy today. I got about 2 more gallons in the tank after I topped it off before the mod.
And, I did my first round trip from Seattle to Portland. I know it's not a big deal to most, but this is the first time I drove it more than 15 miles after all the work I did. 46 mpg average for the trip including running around town for 2 days. I'm really stoked!
On the way back to Seattle I stopped off at Cascade German. Matt helped me out with a couple key fobs. I picked up a .681 5th gear and some suspension parts too. Hopefully I can get the 5th installed before my next trip to OR to eek a few mpg out of it. He's been a huge help with the rebuild. I can't thank him enough!
@Matt-98AHU

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
For the first time ever, hit limp mode this morning. Very noticeable, and not the least bit enjoyable. I was just pulling away from a stoplight, not really on it, just a normal start. No CEL. Power came back with a restart of the car. I will scan for codes when I get home with Vag Com, and in the meantime shot Burpod a text.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
For the first time ever, hit limp mode this morning. Very noticeable, and not the least bit enjoyable. I was just pulling away from a stoplight, not really on it, just a normal start. No CEL. Power came back with a restart of the car. I will scan for codes when I get home with Vag Com, and in the meantime shot Burpod a text.
What was the ambient temperature? Had a similar thing happen when it was -35 here

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
If it's an over boost there won't be a code, at least I've never seen a code and we,re fighting an over boost condition right now in the tuning. Never sets the cel either. Hit 35 psi and limp mode till its key cycled.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it's an over boost there won't be a code, at least I've never seen a code and we,re fighting an over boost condition right now in the tuning. Never sets the cel either. Hit 35 psi and limp mode till its key cycled.
I have never seen limp mode without a DTC - wouldn't make sense for the ECU to trigger limp mode and not record why it did so.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I have never seen limp mode without a DTC - wouldn't make sense for the ECU to trigger limp mode and not record why it did so.
boost deviation codes do heal themselves... far as i know :) if it happens, and you scan for codes, you will see it. but after a certain amount of time with no boost deviations enough to trigger a fault, it should heal itself... CEL only gets lit for emissions related faults, afaik..

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boost deviation codes do heal themselves... far as i know :) if it happens, and you scan for codes, you will see it. but after a certain amount of time with no boost deviations enough to trigger a fault, it should heal itself... CEL only gets lit for emissions related faults, afaik..
I guess I don't expect cars to self heal so I've never given one the chance to do so :cool: Limp mode due to overboost can definitely trigger a CEL, but usually not until it's happened a few times.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I guess I don't expect cars to self heal so I've never given one the chance to do so :cool: Limp mode due to overboost can definitely trigger a CEL, but usually not until it's happened a few times.
if your car is tuned, this behavior could be tuned out or modified.... i don't claim to know the exact numbers or how's of this, other than know it can be changed. what i do is leave all that behavior stock. the only things i delete are for things that are actually deleted

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you scan it before turning the key off while in limp mode, the dtc will be present