What did you do to your MKIV today?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Replaced the rear calipers this morning. Did something to my back to cause painful spasms (sux getting old).

Bracket bolts were stripped and I didn’t have replacements on hand, so I just left the original ones on there. Maybe this summer I’ll get replacement bolts and use the Irwin bolt-outs on them and swap the brackets to new.

Otherwise replacement was quick and uneventful. But when bleeding, the brake pedal would jump back after my son took his foot off it. Funny. Pedal was normal on the test drive, and it fully returned to the up position (couldn’t pull it up any further with the top of my foot).

Parking brake now works fine. Old caliper on the left didn’t do anything when i moved the arm, amd the right side was very stiff even though I cleaned it out and lubed it up on Monday. Too bad I assumed I’d need to adjust the parking brake cable and pulled out the center console before testing it. On well, I got to clean it up in the sink at least.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
This wasn’t today but a couple of weeks ago on the 2000 NB I’m driving.
I installed an in tank fuel pump with all the wiring under the dash with a modified west coast mod and works beautifully when running and when I fail the pump.
At the same time I ran all the wiring for an aftermarket seat heater with the connector under the seat , still need to removed the seat and remove the covers to install the heating elements , did this to my youngest daughter’s car as a Christmas present , and she loves it , gets pretty hot and has 6 positions.
I also installed two new light assemblies on the 2000 NB that I’ve been driving lately, that have HID on the low beams ….WOW what a difference driving at night !
Gonna get a set for youngest daughters car too……

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
At the same time I ran all the wiring for an aftermarket seat heater with the connector under the seat , still need to removed the seat and remove the covers to install the heating elements , did this to my youngest daughter’s car as a Christmas present , and she loves it , gets pretty hot and has 6 positions.
I also installed two new light assemblies on the 2000 NB that I’ve been driving lately, that have HID on the low beams ….WOW what a difference driving at night !
Gonna get a set for youngest daughters car too……
Link for the seat heaters and headlights? I could use both.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Now the question I would put to you Steve is, might you want a bi-xenon projector so that you get high beam function on The Big Light Source as well. Would love to take apart one of those lights and see what could be easily installed. My wife's Golf has HID lights and they will be getting some projector upgrades for just this effect. I would love drop the pair of TL-R projectors in...they're short and only have 2.25" lenses.

Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Link for the seat heaters and headlights? I could use both.
I gotta dig around for the heat seat link , the lights I got from pro tuning lab….went to order a set for daughters car and the are out of stock on all lights…sent an email to see when they would be back in stock.

This is the seat heaters I used

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
This is the seat heaters I used

Thank you!
Question - do you feel the size of the heating pads to be good for the seating area on the beetle seats? And what did you use for hog ring pliers and rings? In all my years of collecting tools, that something I have yet to buy.

BTW, have you upgraded to a Valeo starter yet? I still can't get over how fast the engine starts up now.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No on the Valero starter but will when time comes.
Hog rings pliers are a must. I bought a set off Amazon , the one that holds the hog ring in place.
Pads are over sized and must be cut down to fit and coverage is good.
Take pictures when disassembling, especially where all the attachments are.
I found getting the back cover the hardest to get on and off.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually it wasn’t bad using the hog ring pliers.
One additional thing I forgot to mention , I bought some high density foam , electric carving knife and some scrape headliner material. When I got the seat skins off I found several areas where the foam was either worn through or was extremely soft . Used the carving knife to cut out the bad sections and cut new foam to fill area and then sculpt it to match contours of seat , then used headliner material with glue to cover repair area and past so when skin went back on you couldn’t see any difference.
I had a local seamstress put a patch where the seat was worn through and came out really well , cost only $25.00 better than the couple of hundreds of dollars for just one seat skin.

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Drove it to work this morning for the first time since changing the rear calipers Saturday, and damned if it doesn't seem like I am able to coast more. Guessing one or both of the old calipers may well have been dragging fairly lightly all along.

In other news, ordered a leather shift boot and golf ball shifter for it. Old boot is worn and cruddy looking.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
I finally replaced all the vacuum lines around the engine. Hey, that whistling noise is gone!

I too need to shell out for a new shifter and boot. The boot is just fabric now, all the plush Teutonic simulated leather has turned to dust, and the shift pattern medallion is held on by what looks suspiciously like old chewing gum.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
My shift boot is this interesting Japanese dragon looking motif that was on it when I got the car. No idea why anyone would swap out the stock one personally....

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Was the PO a stout Asian with tattoos and the end of his little finger missing?
No, it's was driven by a co-workers kid for about a year till he got sick of no cruise control and driving across the state to school. Good kid, just a bit weird.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Was thinking of new glow plugs, they're probably original. I remember somebody tested them, some being better than others. Also need them for dad's 07 jeep crd, same brands?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Personally, I'm stocking to Bosch plugs now.

I used another brand last time, and have had them fail one by one. The Bosch plugs that they replaced were only pulled as a "while I'm there" when doing timing, new IP and injectors.

YZO024

TDI
01 Jetta TDI
Well I bought the parts to build a new motor. Rods, bottom end rebuild kit, rings, gt1856v, .310 injectors, inter cooler hard pipes, upgraded oil cooler, colt2 cam, lifters, just trying to get this car running again. Been over a year since I drove it.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've been doing some work on my 04 Jetta getting it ready to put back on the road. Painting the GLI side skirts and the Bora/GLI style front and rear bumper skirts plus replacing a rusty fender. But... this 05 Beetle is clogging up my space right now!

Dead compressor, leaking condenser, reverse lights don't work, occasional overboost, exhaust leak, both front springs broken (I replaced a few years back with 03 GLI springs), front tires bald - one to cords, intermittent coolant loss (held 15psi for 48 hours). At least struts are simpler with the fenders off!!!

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Sunday and Monday, I replaced the right outer CV joint boot WITHOUT removing the joint. I disassembled everything and removed the knuckle & hub. Then I used a greased cone tool to install a Flexx Boot FB3001 universal boot. This was difficult, and it took both my wife's and my efforts to push the boot over the large end of the cone. My wife said it reminded her of giving birth! The Flexx Boot is made of silicone rubber and is stretchier than the stock boot. It has two stepped diameters for the large end -- the larger one was a bit too big and the smaller one a bit too small. I stretched the boot to get the smaller end over the joint and then used a utility knife to cut away the larger one.

I did try installing a stock GKN boot, but it's stiffer than the Flexx Boot, and we didn't have the strength to force it over the cone. There is a pneumatic tool made to do this, and it probably would have worked on the GKN, but they start at about $70-80, and the cone was only $16.

I finished this and basic re-assembly Sunday, then Monday I torqued everything I assembled Sunday, and finished the assembly. The car is at the alignment shop today -- it was quite badly out of line when I was done.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I gotta ask: why not just remove the CV joint? Not too hard to knock them off and then slide on the new boot?
(Or, are you saying you didn't even remove the CV axle from the car - just pulled the knuckle away? In which case, again, though...six bolts and it's out...which seems easier than childbirth-equivalent).

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Having been in close proximity to a delivery, removing the engine with a pair of slip-joint pliers and a hammer is easier than childbirth...and that from observation...LOL

Douglas

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Working through the a/c replacement stuff. When I pulled out the condenser, I found a 6" diameter pad about 1/2" thick right in the middle between the radiator and condenser. Made of vegetable chaff, coarse grains of sand, a couple of feathers, dirt, and whatever else stuck to that stuff. I can't help but wonder if that affected the a/c sufficiently to wear it out early.

Anyway, if your a/c doesn't cool as well as it used to but the charge is OK, it might be something to check. I have to admit however, it is a lot of bother just to take a quick peek. I don't know how else to look other than pull the bumper cover, remove the lock carrier, and pull the condenser and radiator apart.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Took it on a road trip, 850km, mostly two lane twisties. I forgot how much fun they are compared to the boring divided highways I mostly drive.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I gotta ask: why not just remove the CV joint? Not too hard to knock them off and then slide on the new boot?
(Or, are you saying you didn't even remove the CV axle from the car - just pulled the knuckle away? In which case, again, though...six bolts and it's out...which seems easier than childbirth-equivalent).
I did not remove the axle, just pulled the knuckle away. I've never removed an outer CV joint, and I don't know how. Since there are tools and videos to support what I did, I assumed that removing the outer joint and reinstalling properly would be difficult and/or destructive to the joint.

Next time I'll look into removing the joint. Thanks for the prompt to consider that.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I did not remove the axle, just pulled the knuckle away. I've never removed an outer CV joint, and I don't know how. Since there are tools and videos to support what I did, I assumed that removing the outer joint and reinstalling properly would be difficult and/or destructive to the joint.

Next time I'll look into removing the joint. Thanks for the prompt to consider that.
Look at some videos - you'll see it's not exactly rocket science (that's a joke, because when you see the methodology - slamming it against a vice, or whacking it with a hammer to knock it off....it's quite the polar opposite of nerd-work. :D )