Waiting on a turbo

Jaytechqu

TDI
MK4 ALH
All TDI hard parts ie, turbo, head, long block etc are discontinued. If your turbo fails under warranty, your likely done. Out of warranty, just go aftermarket.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
All TDI hard parts ie, turbo, head, long block etc are discontinued. If your turbo fails under warranty, your likely done. Out of warranty, just go aftermarket.
explain... this blanket statement is clearly false..... there are tons of parts still being made that are for TDI engines and are still covered and being replaced. where did you get your wild claims from?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We buy hard parts for TDIs from VW daily, some going all the way back to the '96 B4, the first TDI in the US. Yes, some parts for the early cars are discontinued, but those cars are over 25 years old. Parts for common rail cars are readily available, and will be for a while.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are still building new CR engines. Just because they got all butt-hurt with the EPA and don't sell any here doesn't mean they are not still selling them elsewhere. They (Germany, Europe) are pushing for EVs, and VAG is no exception, but the fact is it will be a slow transition and probably won't completely change any time soon, if ever. Remember, the T2 that came out in 1968 .... last sold here in 1979... just went out of production in Brazil 2013. Not all of the world can just pull a Petey-Buttplug and buy a $60k EV to 'save money on gas'.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Although the percentage of new cars in Europe with diesel engines has dropped, it's still over 1/3 of the engine choice in new cars. Emissions rules have made gasoline powered cars more attractive for some uses, especially small cars. But for larger cars, diesel is still a leading option. I expect it will remain so for many years to come. EVs don't do well in cold weather and/or at Autobahn speeds, where diesel can excel.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Is the tdi in my 2015 a unique diesel? It’s different than earlier US built tdi’s.

Did European/other tdi’s start using adblue when we did?

Are these turbos that were hard to get now readily available?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 2015 CVCA engine in your Passat was a one-year model in the US, but it was (and still is) sold in Europe in large numbers. Introduction of the use of Adblue varies by country, depending on their regulations. NMS Passat TDIs in North America used Adblue since their launch in 2012.

The turbo in your car is different from the 12-14 CKRA turbos, and appears far less prone to failure. They are readily available.

oilhammer

TDI
Unique for us, and I suspect VAG has made some gentle refinements and improvements on that engine (and others like it) since its debut. A real shame they pulled out of this market with diesels, because even though the CVCA/CRUA engines are just as intense on complexity as the earlier CRs, they seem better overall so far.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
Just got p0026a. Hooray.

Is there a way to check the in service date? I have a feeling I'm going to be making some phone calls pretty shortly.

partlyvwp14

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI 2.0
Yes I have been in an Enterprise car since July of 21.. VW actually called a few times today... I've pretty much lost it on them.. Same poor girl took a beating over the phone.. They need to do something is what I have insisted.. waited 7 months for a Turbo and now waiting on a Dpf that was just Ordered in December.. I know the dealer probably couldn't order it originally but I don't care, this is VW's mess... She said upon completion there could be a discussion of financial hardship or some crap... At this point I hate this company and will likely smear them as much as possible.. 7 months to waiting again for who knows how long.... Get a a grip in the months it's been there I have received 2 phone calls before today and 3 today... they don't even follow up with and tell me anything, the dealership is just the middle man, I blame VW....

I hope by now you got your car back on the road. My 2014 Passat Turbo blew out on Feb 4th with 52k miles on it and the shop had my car for a month and supply chain is an issue and it will only get worst as the war enhances. It is by design.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Back on topic, we have 8 of these turbos in stock now. Some new B-W some VW/B-W reman. They showed up when I wasn't looking. :cool:

Perkins98

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Still waiting.. VW customer service has got to be the worse I've ever dealt with.. They just send a dumbass email every other month and say that they are still working and that there is no ETA on the parts.. Just completely useless... At this point i have tweeted, called, emailed, emailed VW, Emailed dealership management, Tweeted to local news stations, tweeted to CNN..... Come on, having a car for a year and paying $1350 a month in rental is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.... Just give me some cash and keep the damn car.... I would recommend anyone that kept their dieselgate cars to sell and sell quickly.. This company shouldn't have let us keep them.. they are useless paper weights. #VWSUCKS

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Turbos are available, both reman from VW and new from Garrett. If your dealer isn't getting you one I'm not sure why at this point.

oilhammer

TDI
Lots of people just fix their cars and motor on, screw the warranty. But the CKRA has had some specific weaknesses.

Hey, we waited for about 5 months to get a Pentastar engine for a Wrangler. You want to talk about parts shortages and wait times, ChryCo/MB/Fiat/Stellantis and whatever they call themselves now... total trainwreck.

Another funny one, fleet of ours bought a brand new Ford E350 van (they are only available as cab-chassis now), had a utility body put on the back, picked it up from the Ford dealer (they got the body put on), its brand new Godzilla engine (the only one available) is leaving oil spots everywhere. The NEXT DAY they call the dealer they got it from, that same dealer said they could not get to it FOR A MONTH.

So they brought it to us, we got it at least looked at right away... pin hole in the oil cooler. Call the dealer: national backorder. How??? Parts guy says "oh yeah, we've got a half dozen of those engines here waiting for this same part, they got a bad batch of them I guess".

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
@IndigoBlueWagon I think this individual's issue is backorder on DPF, which decided to malfunction after Turbo finally arrived and was replaced. The issue was months of waiting on turbo, and now the wait is for DPF, which seems like a break after break without timely fixes. Maybe getting the car back and deleting this crap will be you next best option. I am actually almost contemplating about ordering a new turbo just in case. The car is running on Kerma, so warranty (if still present) has been forfeited. However, almost $800 for a part I may never need just sounds like a waste of money. My luck, I will have a new turbo, but something else inside the engine I cannot live with will go next. Now I have 2 expensive paperweights. I think I will just keep driving and enjoying it. Once it breaks, I will have an excuse to buy a new truck with Cummins engine. Praying for fuel prices to drop, these monsters are not very fuel efficient.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well the thread title is "waiting on a turbo" ;)

DPFs for the Jetta/Golf/Beetle are readily available. But maybe not the Passat.