Waiting on a turbo

goodwrench67

TDI
Jetta Passat
My 2013 Passat has been parked since October, waiting on a turbo, it’s covered under warranty but I keep getting told there are none available. I was originally told mid March, now I’m being told vw doesn’t know exactly but hoping for mid summer. Anyone else frustrated waiting? Does anyone have any insight as to when they’ll be available?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No one will know when. You should be in a car provided by the dealer until they get it fixed. Just drive and skip the worrying as you can't do anything about it. It has been posted here those turbos are in short supply if at all. Sounds like you should get used to waiting and just drive the provided car until they are done. Maybe they will offer to buy it back at some point.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
^ Lightflyer is right. If VW does indeed offer to buy back the vehicle, you should seriously consider that option....

goodwrench67

TDI
Jetta Passat
Hmm, I was not given a loaner car, I was told I would be given a car while they’re doing the replacement but they couldn’t provide one during the interim. It’s been over 6 months already. I’m sure I can’t go back now. I did ask about buying it back, they said they contacted VW and there was no buy back option being provided. So I wait.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
What a chitty situation to be in. You're gonna have to do you're own homework. Call up parts/dealerships in other states or counties to see who has the turbo in stock and have them ship it to your location.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
The dealer's failure to provide you with a loaner while your car is undriveable I believe is a direct violation of the emissions warranty. If your car is still covered by said warranty (or the extended warranty on the turbo itself) did you ever complain about that to VW corporate? There are some other posts about VW dealers not providing loaners to cars needing warranty repairs, seems like they try to wiggle out of their obligations at every opportunity.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
People that don't read and know the warranty document get taken advantage of due to their ignorance of the warranty and what it is supposed to provide. You should have been provided a rental or replacement car for anything that takes over 9 hours to repair. Read the warranty and go back in and get one. It also adds pressure on them to do something rather than pay for or providing that car for any length of time. Not to mention it helps force VW to help others or yourself down the road as they try and evade at times doing any repairs. Get er done!

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Actually the warranty states that, "The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer. "

Definitely complain -be loud and persistent, so as not to get taken advantage of!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My bad I was quoting from the emissions repair part. 3 hours is much better. No need to be loud though, just be civil and standup for what is right. If they balk call VWoA and complain to them. Then the class action lawyers next if all else fails.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Clarification: I'm pretty quiet and my "loud" is more of a squeaky wheel gets the grease sort of thing.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Wow. I guess I was lucky. My car was only in the shop for 4 months waiting for a turbo (Dec 21 - Apr 25). Of course I agreed to a used turbo so I didn't have to keep waiting for a new one.

I was beyond the extended warranty and used a trusted garage for the repairs.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
My bad I was quoting from the emissions repair part. 3 hours is much better. No need to be loud though, just be civil and standup for what is right. If they balk call VWoA and complain to them. Then the class action lawyers next if all else fails.

This is pretty standard coverage with all brands today. I would walk in there and question the situation. And if they give you the run-around once more, no need to get loud. Just ask for their names and positions at the dealership then watch them pick up the crumbs like a bunch of bumbling pigeons knocking into one another.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The really stupid thing about the turbo thing is that it could be solved. A qualified facility like eriksson could have been remanfacturing them but vw corporate is too stubborn to do that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We asked our local dealer about these turbos yesterday. Their response: CKRA turbos pushed back again to mid July. 1300 on backorder and the second most backordered part in the country.

I just called our B-W distributor and they quote the same date estimate. I'm betting most of these cars are sitting at dealerships waiting for a warranty replacement, otherwise someone might be able to get a deal on one if they're willing to wait for the turbo before putting the car in service.

Last edited:

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
This sounds extremely familiar. Go look at my recent post history. My car was at the dealer from October up until yesterday I finally got it back. My entire engine Long block and anything oil related was replaced. I waited on my turbo the entire time. That’s all the turbo. My car sat for months in the lot. They kept pushing my date back further and further. I asked about a buyback in January I think. Was immediately denied for the reason of “VW is not interested in offering a buyback at this time”. When they called me again about a month ago to tell me my date was pushed from “mid April to late may” to “end of june” I lost it and asked for another buy back request to be put in. Same sh** response came back “VW has not changed their stance on offering a buyback as we have not yet had an opportunity to fix the vehicle”. The case manager kept telling me when I asked about getting out of the vehicle to “seek outside resources”, aka a lawyer. I got a call last week saying the turbo arrived. Dealer immediately got to it and I had the car back at the end of the week. My battery was dead and they replaced that for free too. Now I’m onto requesting an extension of my CPO warranty for it sitting there so long.
As far as the loaner goes. Everyone in this thread is right. They need to provide you with a loaner. There should be a white and blue booklet in your car. (It’s also available on the settlement website) It’s like 10pages or so. In there it says “if the service is scheduled to take longer than 3 hours VW is to provide a loaner vehicle”. Fight them on it if they don’t and threaten to contact the attorney who handled the TDI settlement. (BTW, they’re really friendly and offered me quite a bit of support, forgot the name but they’re up in the Bay Area!). They refused me one at first because I was “under the age of 25” and they can’t loan cars to people underage. After many calls I finally got a loaner out of them.

When I spoke to the attorney we were trying to find language within the settlement that would force them to buyback the car. Here’s what I learned, even though it didn’t offer me any help. If you owned a TDI and opted to have the emissions modifications done (again under YOUR ownership), you have an 18 month or 18,000 mile buyout period. Basically, if within 18 months or 18k miles after they complete the emissions modifications, and catastrophic failure of the engine happens and it’s related to the modifications, then VW would be required, by law to buyback the vehicle. This didn’t apply to me since I did not own the vehicle during the emissions modifications, VW themselves owned my car and then I bought it under a CPO. This might be useful for some to know. Even though I’m imagining most of these cases are few and far between now that it’s been quite some time since the lawsuit has happened.

goodwrench67

TDI
Jetta Passat
Thank you for the thorough reply. I have a case manager now and he’s telling me mid July. I asked him about the loaner and he said he’ll have an answer Wednesday. Will keep all updated

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Case managers at Volkswagen are useless.

Hope you get the loaner you are required by legal settlement.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Case managers at Volkswagen are useless.

Hope you get the loaner you are required by legal settlement.
Your post is really useless and negative. How does it help the poster in any way? Just let them have their experience and report what happens. That is what we want to know.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What'd you get for a loaner?

I more surprised no one in VW's supply chain can rebuild turbos, must be part of the supply chain issues affecting everything these days.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
What'd you get for a loaner?

I more surprised no one in VW's supply chain can rebuild turbos, must be part of the supply chain issues affecting everything these days.
Nobody rebuilds anything these days at dealerships/VW? It all gets replaced, not even sure the old part gets saved for a reman. Wait until the self driving/cruise or big screens start failing, big money fix.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The VW dealer supplied turbo for this vehicle will be a remanufacturered one, or at least it is typically. My understanding is that the turbo internals are causing the availablity problem, so that would apply to rebuild kits as well.

VW dealers sell a fair number of remanufactured products: turbos, water pumps, mass airflow sensors, alternators, starters, to name a few.

Perkins98

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Turbo blew May 4th 117000 miles.. been at dealer since, as of today there are too many to list on backorder.. NO ETA... Had to pull some strings to talk to some people inside the dealer, but parts manager there says there is no end in sight... Has anyone pushed more ?????

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I spoke to our B-W distributor and (I think) learned the story behind the lack of CKRA and BEW turbos. B-W had an assembly plant somewhere in the US, and when it was shut down early in the pandemic they decided to use the opportunity to move the operation to Mexico. However, because the pandemic happened later (and longer) in Mexico, they were unable to set up the new facility. So now they have no location to make these (and other) turbos. They hope they'll be able to start shipping CKRA and BEW turbos in August or thereabouts. That's what I last heard.

Wurtman

TDI
2013 Passat
No point in calling VW they can't/wont do anything but waste a few hours of yoru time. Dealer gave me a rental and have been in it since march '21.
I've been very understanding but have been very vocal about being upgraded out of a compact car, only because i'm huge.