Waiting on a turbo

mikecoccitto

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I know a lot of folks have been without their cars for longer than me (since April), and I've had a rental the whole time, but this is really getting old. Anyone have any updates? My dealer just tells me that they'll let me know when there's an update. I'm assuming that this is Dieselgate related. I kept my Passat and didn't do the buyback because I love my car. But now, even if I was looking for something else, I don't have anything to trade in because it's sitting at the dealer. Hope this ends soon, but I really think we all have a long road ahead.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just sent another one this week into the "wait indefinitely" crowd. Pathetic. No way you could give me one of these turds after this. I'm really surprised someone in the aftermarket hasn't figured something out yet. I guess the CKRA is just too unique of a turbo setup to make it worthwhile.

Good news is, you can find a nice reliable car for cheap to drive in the mean time.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
We got I think 3 waiting for turbos. One has been waiting for about a year. I dont understand how anymore could drive these CKRAs. They are just one of the worst diesel engines they have.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I see nothing wrong with the engine. In fact, I've seen fewer issues with the CKRA than the CBEA/CJAA, but that may just be due to the fewer of them on the road. But it is of no concern how great the engine is if the turbocharger that feeds it is a fragile piece of junk that has no replacements.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Our supplier has had CKRA turbos on order for two years now. We've had them on order from VW for a year.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Maybe this can help somebody:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Says there is limited stock at the Ann Arbor MI dealership, unless of course they lie

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I believe one of the registered vendors here, known for mods, has (or had) a Garrett GTD turbo conversion kit available for the NMS Passat TDI, but it required a tune and possibly some deletes although I think there is a 'street legal' version available. But if you have DSG transmission the tunes can get really expensive really fast.

Deletes are on my to-do list at some point in the not-too-far-off-future. Until then, the dieselgate warranty coverage is somewhat comforting (and my trusty B5.5 manual conversion as backup).

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
We have these turbo's on the shelf, both new and rebuild....

Perkins98

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Has anyone gotten a car back????? Mines been in dealer since May 21. As of today we are now waiting for another part (DPF) that doesn't have an ETA either.. VW called this morning and they have no clue what's going on.... I requested a buyback in October and thats been refused, I asked this morning for them to buy it again and they said it's not possible.. Does anyone have anything going on???? This is nuts...

mikecoccitto

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I’ve been in my rental since April. I got a call last week saying my car would be ready this week. When I called for an update this morning, i was told next week because…since my car has been sitting for so long, VW is replacing my battery, wipers, headliner, all 4 interior door panels, all brake pads and rotors and all 4 tires. My car is in Miami so I’m pretty sure the heat and humidity have taken its toll. I love the car, but I may be trading it in as sooas I get it back because I’m sure there will be more issues on the way

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I can see battery, wipers, and breaks, but why the headliner and door cards?

If it were I i'd be unloading it to carvana as well.

Perkins98

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Yes I have been in an Enterprise car since July of 21.. VW actually called a few times today... I've pretty much lost it on them.. Same poor girl took a beating over the phone.. They need to do something is what I have insisted.. waited 7 months for a Turbo and now waiting on a Dpf that was just Ordered in December.. I know the dealer probably couldn't order it originally but I don't care, this is VW's mess... She said upon completion there could be a discussion of financial hardship or some crap... At this point I hate this company and will likely smear them as much as possible.. 7 months to waiting again for who knows how long.... Get a a grip in the months it's been there I have received 2 phone calls before today and 3 today... they don't even follow up with and tell me anything, the dealership is just the middle man, I blame VW....

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Lemon laws?

Threaten media coverage- social and other media- if they don’t buy your cars back?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Haven't we already been through this? I'm not sure VW is particularly concerned about negative press regarding TDIs at this point. And buybacks already happened.

Depending on state laws, the car possibly could have been lemoned months ago.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm not up to speed on your guy's laws..... but I thought that Magnuson's clause (assuming that's what you're referring to with this lemonade talk) only applied to new vehicles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
typically 1-3 year or XXX miles,

Either way I'm impressed enterprise has been cool keeping that car out, shoot that rental is bound to be due for a new set of drive tires, rentals are always tough on rubbers.

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That's insane that so many have been waiting on a turbo that long. I hope mine lasts a while, but we shall see. My mileage has been low as of late. I've been lucky to get 36mpg out of a tank. So something is on its way out.

Perkins98

TDI
2013 Passat sel
Enterprise has asked me to change our the car a few times. They all need oil changes and I just drive the hell out of them. I don't really care.. What I'm mostly mad about besides my car at this point, is that I own snow tires for my VW... These enterprise cars all have cheappo crap tires that suck in MI snow... Just fed up with VW overall.. I mean the only way I could even see ever NOT TALKING BAD about them would be a SUPER SUPER SUPER sweet deal on a new one.. But come on this company has **** the bed so bad..

mak474

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
@Perkins98
The supply chain is just ****** right now. I've been calling the dealer for the past 3 weeks because I need to get some G13 to drain and fill my Passat. Its on backorder and they are getting Zerex G40 from the parts stores lol. About 1000mi ago I put in a coolant flush additive because my core had clogged for the 3rd time in two months and I couldn't get a slot for them to fix it or give me a rental. But the past few cores clogged within 80 then 90 miles of replacement. So I put this stuff in and it unplugged it and I've been dallying it for about a month now. My backup daily I've had in the garage, 05 honda pilot, for almost this entire month time. I had to change the cats, and oil pump. While I was in there I had to pull the timing belt, 33k mi since I changed it last and it looked worn so I ordered up a timing kit. No big deal right? They made like 100 billion of these things should be in stock right? Nope, backorder, I waited 3 weeks for that! Had to get some of the cats from one place, half the heat shields from another and the other half from the dealer. Basically had to call all over to piece meal this thing together and its a Honda in America lol. Last year I could have drove down to oriley and bought all the parts and taken them home that same day.

So its not a 100% vw thing. Its all over no one can get a damn thing.

I ordered a garage door in August for the house, was suppose to show up in Jan, great right? R18 should be perfect for me to do all this work when its super cold. Its due in now in May, maybe...

I have a buddy that installs fireplaces, he said most of the setups he puts in have a 40-50 week lead time...
He is booking work a year out. Insane!

I haven't even tried ordering the timing/clutch kit for my mkv jetta... It hardly runs. It needs it or to go to the junk yard.
My 06 pilot is just a snow day rust bucket lol. Its our in town bad weather car. It was suppose to go to the junk yard this year but as slow as I'm getting parts to put my other cars back on the road we just cant yet.

mikecoccitto

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
3 days after getting my car back from Esserman International VW after it sat there 10 months, I get the aibag, ABS, stability control, low tire pressure light cluster coming on. It was intermittent but now it’s constant. Also, my transmission is slipping going from first to second. I had zero issues before the long turbo wait and now it’s one thing after another. And I’m sure my dealer is going to tell me to pack sand. Pretty damn frustrating.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you still on your original battery? That's a lot of things to all go sideways at the same time.... Do you have VCDS?

mikecoccitto

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Are you still on your original battery? That's a lot of things to all go sideways at the same time.... Do you have VCDS?
They put in a new battery before I took my car back. No, I don’t have a VCDS and I live in Key West and my nearest VW dealership is about 150 miles away in Doral

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to invest in a VCDS so you could at least see what's causing these issues instead of having to drive 300mi to have the dealer tell you whatever they want to tell you?