Ultimate Daily Driver: 4Motion TDI B5.5 Wagon 6MT

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Honestly it's kinda annoying that they're still using BEW-based tunes for BHW manual swaps when there's been lots of known issues with doing that over the years (see Audi swaps especially). It makes so much more sense to start with a BGW file; basically the manual version of the BHW in Europe with a DPF, and just tune out the DPF stuff.
That to me just sounds like them working with what is most readily available for themselves, since the BGW is not a North American engine, the BEW is the closest in our market that came with a manual. They'd just have to remove the vacuum changeover valves from the fault list for EGR cooler flap and intake manifold runner flaps.

To the OP: had you just been emailing them? Or were you using their ticket system?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A lot of Euro-spec software also doesn't have the same things ours does. I've run into that a lot. No readiness, etc. Europe was still using EOBD (not OBD2) into the early 2000s.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
B5.5 Passat 4motion 6-speed Wagon
That to me just sounds like them working with what is most readily available for themselves, since the BGW is not a North American engine, the BEW is the closest in our market that came with a manual. They'd just have to remove the vacuum changeover valves from the fault list for EGR cooler flap and intake manifold runner flaps.

To the OP: had you just been emailing them? Or were you using their ticket system?
Ticket system via the tuner who coded my ECU.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Getting frustrated with this car a bit. Dealing back with clutch issues. Transmission won’t allow me to put in gear when car is on and clutch is depressed unless I have the pressure bleeder attached to master cylinder reservoir pressurized. Both the clutch master and slave are brand new… wonder if one of them is faulty. Any other way I can tell what this issue may be?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
No, the cruise control is handled by the ECU, and requires the gear ratios to be programmed within a certain range of accuracy.
Catching up on reading through all this. Just installed an 01X Euro TDI gearbox in my son's Passat. At 80 it turns 2000 RPMs. I did have to access the cluster and change the bit to read ABS for the speedometer. I did NOT change any ratios in the ECU and the cruise works perfectly fine.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Update Sunday 3/12

Today was a very heavy progress day despite the lack of pictures!

Bolted up a 228mm SMF HD flywheel, clutch and Pressure Plate. Stated to hold around 315ftlbs.

Got the o2x bolted up. Utilized the Stock BHW dust shield fits perfect!

Stock BHW starter also bolts in!

Got the engine mounted up! Seemed like forever since I;ve had it out or maybe it was the space it was taking up in garage that was
getting to me:LOL: Connected a few basic easy access items.

Under side shot of the o2x transmission bolted up utilizing the o2x brace. Fits like oem, shifter assembly and linkage also fits like oem. The o2x is also awesome because the factory triptronic driveshaft bolts in without any modifications.

Things to still figure out:
Exhaust - I think Ill utilize the stock downpipe and go into the dual pipes with a Y. Will the v6 mufflers be to restrictive?
Fuel lines - the v6 lines are bit short as they come into the engine bay... I think I may swap over the lines from the BHW
Fuel pump or bridge- I was told that I could bridge the return and feed fuel lines to slow the pressure down from the unleaded v6 fuel pump. Im also curious to see if anyone has swapped in the BHW lift pump to the v6 4motion tank.

Ill keep plugging away at the wiring and the other connections this week. I purchased a stage 2 tune, immo delete and auto to manual conversion from Malone. I have to send my ecu to them yet. Will try and ship this week.
Question on the 02X brace. I have pulled several of these from A4 B7 cars and that brace hits the tunnel before it gets to the subframe bolts. What car did it come from? An A4 B6?

Also, I do know the 2 large front bolts will line up with the Passat, on yours do the 2 13mm bolts on each side line up? On the A4 B7 brace they do not.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Getting frustrated with this car a bit. Dealing back with clutch issues. Transmission won’t allow me to put in gear when car is on and clutch is depressed unless I have the pressure bleeder attached to master cylinder reservoir pressurized. Both the clutch master and slave are brand new… wonder if one of them is faulty. Any other way I can tell what this issue may be?
Dumb question, but did you put the TO bearing in the correct way? I put one in backwards once. It wouldn't release the clutch needless to say.

You still have the SMF clutch? If yes, be aware you may have some serious drone issues between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. I put that clutch in my Allroad 6 speed build years ago and took it out after 300 miles. Couldn't handle the drone throughout the car.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
Question on the 02X brace. I have pulled several of these from A4 B7 cars and that brace hits the tunnel before it gets to the subframe bolts. What car did it come from? An A4 B6?

Also, I do know the 2 large front bolts will line up with the Passat, on yours do the 2 13mm bolts on each side line up? On the A4 B7 brace they do not.
The B6 and B7 trans crossmember is the same. There IS a different crossmember used in European 0A3 TDI cars that has a hump only on the right (passenger's) side, which might be a better fit for the B5s. The 13mm bolts do not line up to anything.

On my C5 Allroad, the subframe spacers give enough room for the crossmember to fit with only minor grinding. I made aluminum adapter brackets that bolt to the original subframe brace bolt holes and the new crossmember additional bolt holes.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Catching up on reading through all this. Just installed an 01X Euro TDI gearbox in my son's Passat. At 80 it turns 2000 RPMs. I did have to access the cluster and change the bit to read ABS for the speedometer. I did NOT change any ratios in the ECU and the cruise works perfectly fine.
I Think I maybe chatted with you on Facebook regarding this in how you coded the eeprom to read the abs speed signal instead of vss.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI

You will have to modify the tunnel slightly to allow the o2x brace to be bolted flush into the Passat. You have to remove the outer skin on a few inch section on both sides. I cut welded and painted. The large subframe bolts line up, the small 13mm do not, I just used riv-nuts and attached those that way.

Last edited:

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Dumb question, but did you put the TO bearing in the correct way? I put one in backwards once. It wouldn't release the clutch needless to say.

You still have the SMF clutch? If yes, be aware you may have some serious drone issues between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. I put that clutch in my Allroad 6 speed build years ago and took it out after 300 miles. Couldn't handle the drone throughout the car.
Im fairly confident I installed correctly, but to confirm would you say the bearings have to flipped towards the front or back? Its strange, because right after bleeding it works properly, but then days later doesn't want to seem to work. I have left my pressure bleeder on the unit overnight at 15psi to see if I have any pressure loss first before potentially pulling trans or replacing either clutch master or slave. There is no brake fluid loss.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I hate to ask a silly question but have you tried manually bleeding? Sometimes the pressure bleeding can cause cavitation, the end result being air in your system and squishy brakes or in your case a clutch release bearing that doesn't have enough throw.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
I hate to ask a silly question but have you tried manually bleeding? Sometimes the pressure bleeding can cause cavitation, the end result being air in your system and squishy brakes or in your case a clutch release bearing that doesn't have enough throw.
Yes I’ve tried both 😪

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
My normal way to bleed is once I have the line hooked up, I open the bleed screw and let gravity do it's thing, while I am doing other task. Rarely have to use a pressure or vacuum bleeder. Multiple pumps of the pedal usually gets it right.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
You will have to modify the tunnel slightly to allow the o2x brace to be bolted flush into the Passat. You have to remove the outer skin on a few inch section on both sides. I cut welded and painted. The large subframe bolts line up, the small 13mm do not, I just used riv-nuts and attached those that way.

Ahh I guess I missed that part. Sounded like it just bolted right up. I fabricated a brace to line up with all the Passat holes. Didn't want to cut the body or cut a chunk out the brace and weaken it.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
My normal way to bleed is once I have the line hooked up, I open the bleed screw and let gravity do it's thing, while I am doing other task. Rarely have to use a pressure or vacuum bleeder. Multiple pumps of the pedal usually gets it right.
On level ground?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I bled the everloving crap out of my O1E clutch (factory 240mmDMF, Sachs SRE clutch) and the pedal felt like mush (but did release) no matter how much fluid I used.
Based on advice from Tdiclub, I just drove it, and the air worked its way out over a few days.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep. Same here. Pump the pedal until it feels normal before starting out then just drive it. It will work out.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Ill give that a go. Problem mainly being It barely allows me even to get into gear. I will try both these methods.
I'm assuming you've driven the car a bit already, so this may not apply, but I've had a couple cases with other cars where a brand new clutch was basically stuck to the flywheel and even though properly bled would not allow me to shift into gear with the engine running. Solution in my case was to just start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed and shifter already in 1st gear. After that, the vehicle drove normally and I was able to shift gears with the engine running.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've had pedals"work themselves out" but never to the extent that they wouldn't shift into gear. It was usually the clutch engagement position vs pedal position felt off and eventually worked itsself out.

Didn't another member on here have clutch issues until he modified the slave engagement rod? I think it's the guy with the bv43 turbo and am om606 f150. Maybe he can chime in. Harleyrider maybe? The only time I've heard of actuator rods being modified on our platforms.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I have messed with shortening the rods up to 8mm and it made no difference.

On the current 01X I have installed in my son's car I have a 2.0t DMF and a RS4 240mm clutch. To make it all work, had to add spacers between pressure plate and DMF. Of course had to have the 5.5mm spacer between the gearbox and engine. But it all feels stock and is extremely smooth. Don't think is your issue, but this clutch set up may be in your future. Just sayin' ;}

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Any luck getting the clutch operating normally? I just bled my 02X/BHW swapped Allroad the other day; it bled very quickly and easily, just took a few minutes really. What hydraulics are you using? From the master to the slave, I used B5 5-speed manual parts I pulled from the local junkyard. I noticed the 02X slave cylinder is a bit different (one came with my transmission), but I used the B5 012 slave on mine. My clutch is a 240mm Luk TDI DMF/clutch and I'm using the bellhousing spacer that came off a 2.0T B7.

Koehn

TDI
2005 A4 Avant Quattro 6-Speed (AVF)
I have messed with shortening the rods up to 8mm and it made no difference.

On the current 01X I have installed in my son's car I have a 2.0t DMF and a RS4 240mm clutch. To make it all work, had to add spacers between pressure plate and DMF. Of course had to have the 5.5mm spacer between the gearbox and engine. But it all feels stock and is extremely smooth. Don't think is your issue, but this clutch set up may be in your future. Just sayin' ;}
I'm interested in this clutch setup! Are you just using the 2.0T starter or can you use a BPW or other B7 TDI starter? What did you use to space the pressure plate off of the flywheel?

I've read on Audizine (clicky) about a guy who did it for his B7 swap but he had to machine the pressure plate so it would clear the transmission case. Are you're saying this is unnecessary if you just run the 5.5mm spacer?

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Attempted yet again to work on the car. Still havent moved into our new house yet so working conditions/tool availability isnt greatest. Bled the ever living crap out of the clutch system. No bubbles what so ever. removed clutch slave and had my dad barely press the clutch in and the slave definitely had great pressure. Clutch fork felt like it was moving fairly smoothly through the clutch slave hole. Does anyone know what way the pilot bearing should be installed. Now that I have done it im not remember which direction Ive installed it. I believe my next steps are to remove the transmission and try to see whats happening. Jacked the car up and with clutch pressed in wheels would still spin and was very hard to engage into gears unless engine is shut off. Thats what Im working with currently.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
I'm assuming you've driven the car a bit already, so this may not apply, but I've had a couple cases with other cars where a brand new clutch was basically stuck to the flywheel and even though properly bled would not allow me to shift into gear with the engine running. Solution in my case was to just start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed and shifter already in 1st gear. After that, the vehicle drove normally and I was able to shift gears with the engine running.
Im wondering if Im running into this issue. Ill have to get it on the road a bit more to see if this is the case. Its mainly been stationary.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
manual parts I pulled from the local junkyard. I noticed the 02X slave cylinder is a bit different (one came with my transmission), but I used the B5 012 slave on mi
Any luck getting the clutch operating normally? I just bled my 02X/BHW swapped Allroad the other day; it bled very quickly and easily, just took a few minutes really. What hydraulics are you using? From the master to the slave, I used B5 5-speed manual parts I pulled from the local junkyard. I noticed the 02X slave cylinder is a bit different (one came with my transmission), but I used the B5 012 slave on mine. My clutch is a 240mm Luk TDI DMF/clutch and I'm using the bellhousing spacer that came off a 2.0T B7.
Im using the b5 manual parts. new b5 master and new b5 034 motorsports clutch slave with braided line.