The SportWagen and OBDEleven

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
I recently started applying some coding tweaks to my new-to-me SportWagen, and noticed that there isn’t a good thread/guide on coding that is specific to the SportWagen. As most of you know, the JSW has its own quirks, so not everything you read on the forums translates over as simply as we would like. None of this info is new, but I’m hoping that having it compiled in one spot will be useful to some other beginners who are looking to tweak their wagons, and will prevent some freak-out moments like I had myself. I will be updating this post as more tweaks are discovered.

I am using OBDEleven Pro, but I’m sure a lot of this will translate over to VCDS, as well. There wasn’t a lot of info on what specifically could be tweaked on the JSW using OBDEleven, so I decided to just order it and find out myself. After spending all of the holiday weekend messing with it, here is what I have come up with:

(All tweaks performed on a 2014 Jetta SportWagen w/ 6MT and Pano)

Tweaks that worked:
  • DRL Disable
  • DRL in MFI menu
  • DRL Dimming
  • Coming Home
  • Hill Hold assist time
  • Remote windows function
  • Seat belt warning
  • Air recirculation memory
  • LED parking bulb error removal
  • XDS
  • Gauge sweep ("Indicator celebration"; some cars will use "Staging" instead)
  • PTT/Mute button

Tweaks that did NOT work:
  • DRL via Fogs (can’t figure out why it won’t stick)
  • All radio tweaks (my car has the RCD 510)
  • Front tear drop wiping (Rear works just fine and is enabled from the factory)
  • Mirror dip (requires memory function, which our mirrors don’t have)
  • Leaving home (need Auto switch and Rain sensor)
  • LED fog light bulb error removal (appears there is no way around it without using resistors)
  • Wiper interval control (Rain sensor needed)

Tweaks that I have yet to try:
  • TSC (Torque Steer Compensation)
  • DSR (Dynamic Steering Recommendation)
  • ESC deactivation
  • Brake assist settings
  • Cornering lights

If anyone wants to confirm other tweaks that have or have not worked via OBDEleven, post them up, and I will update the original post!

There are 2 primary ways that I used OBDEleven to make tweaks: “Apps” and “Long Coding”. Apps is OBDEleven’s easy “one-touch” way to apply tweaks, but unfortunately, not everything seems to work as intended between the app and the SportWagen. That’s where Long Coding comes in, as it will allow you to code some tweaks manually.

Things to note:
  • Since OBDEleven is a German program, you will notice that there is not an option for “Jetta SportWagen”. The correct setting for our cars will be “Golf Variant”, as that is what it is called in many overseas markets.
  • If you happen to change the hex in Byte 18 (controls exterior lighting), simply changing the value back to the default setting of “00” will NOT revert your cars lighting settings back to stock. You will find that your external lights will have various quirks (brake lights not working, only one reverse light working, super dim parking lights, etc.), and just about every hex you try willl fail in reverting the lights back to stock. The important thing to remember is the the Byte 18 hex value for the North American Jetta SportWagen is “09”. I had to do quite a bit of digging to figure this out, and I spent half of my Saturday thinking I had permanently broken my car!

Last edited:

wagon92x

TDI
Most of the tweaks that I listed above were completed using OBDEleven’s “Apps” feature. However, for the tweaks that required some Long Coding, I have listed my steps below:

Coming Home: This one was tricky, as none of the steps I found online for the MK6 Golf/GTI seemed to work. Everything I found stated that once Coming Home was enabled in the MFI screen, it should either start working automatically, or would need to be initiated by flashing the high beam stalk after parking the car. I had no issues getting the Coming Home option to show up in the MFI, but once I enabled it, I could not get the feature to activate using any of the suggestions found online. Turns out that there is a 2nd step needed to get it enabled on the SportWagen.
  1. In Byte 17, check Bit 5 (Coming home).
    • This will activate the Coming Home option in the MFI screen. Once it’s there, go into your MFI screen and enable the Coming Home feature.
  2. In Byte 12, check Bit 2 (changes Coming home mode to Manual).
    • This will allow you to manually enable the Coming Home feature every time you leave your car.
      [*]Once you park your car and remove the keys from the ignition, flash the high beams, and you will notice that the Coming Home lights will turn on, and remain on for the length of time you specified in the settings.
  3. If you would like the headlight bulbs to remain OFF when using Coming Home (and only use parking lights/fog lights), then in Byte 17, check Bit 3 (Coming home via fig lights).

LED Parking light error removal:
  1. Scan your car using the home screen on the OBDEleven app. You should get some error codes for the LED parking bulbs.
  2. In Long Coding, go to Byte 27, and check Bit 2 (LED module for DRL/Parking light).
  3. Go back to the home screen, and clear your fault codes. The bulb out indicator should go off (and stay off).

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
What LED bulb brand did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh that could be a problem. They may not have decent resistors to turn light bulb out warning. I bought deAutoKey LEDs and never had a issue of light bulb out warning until they fail and they will replace it with lifetime warranty. They have awesome design and super bright. My JSW are fully loaded (low and high beams, turn signals, DRL, brake and night lights and license plate LED and reverse) and Passat almost completely loaded. No high beams support but everything else are supported. Also my ALH MK4 wagon is halfway loaded. (My friend owned her that time and he bought them then 2 years later sold her to me as he was buying a house few weeks ago. )

wagon92x

TDI
Ahh that could be a problem. They may not have decent resistors to turn light bulb out warning.
Thats the thing, there is no problem because I was easily able to code out the "bulb out" error for those lights. ;) I looked at DeAutoKeys website, but unfortunately they don't actually show what the bulbs look like. A lot of these LED bulbs are extremely visible in the housings when turned off, so I refuse to buy bulbs without knowing how they look.

The fog light error on the other hand...from my reading that is an issue that can only be solved by using halogens or LEDS w/ resistors (even DeAutoKeys fog bulbs have resistors). I'd rather not use resistors if I can help it, so right now I'm debating between going back to halogens or just dealing with the fog bulb error.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok its your call.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
I was able to get the gauge sweep enabled using the basic OBDEleven. looks like a cool thing to have but i don't see its functionality though.

ytJetta
2014 JSW TDI

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the update. I wasn’t sure if I should get it but I already have unlimited vin VCDS from one guy who no longer have TDI’s.

wagon92x

TDI
I was able to get the gauge sweep enabled using the basic OBDEleven. looks like a cool thing to have but i don't see its functionality though.

ytJetta
2014 JSW TDI

Really? Strange, for me it says the option is not enabled on these cars. :(

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats the thing, there is no problem because I was easily able to code out the "bulb out" error for those lights. ;) I looked at DeAutoKeys website, but unfortunately they don't actually show what the bulbs look like. A lot of these LED bulbs are extremely visible in the housings when turned off, so I refuse to buy bulbs without knowing how they look.

The fog light error on the other hand...from my reading that is an issue that can only be solved by using halogens or LEDS w/ resistors (even DeAutoKeys fog bulbs have resistors). I'd rather not use resistors if I can help it, so right now I'm debating between going back to halogens or just dealing with the fog bulb error.

You can contact DeAutoKey for what they look like via email, I am sure they will shoot you pictures. Let them know I referred you to them.

My email is mjcollier79@gmail.com. So they will know its me.

varia

TDI
jetta sportwagen tdi
can you explain the Remote windows function? or maybe the roof to?

I really would like to be able to close them with the remote.
Thank you

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Can anyone tell me how I can re-aim my Xenon headlights on my 12 Golf? I've lowered the car and the lights are to low. I'm thinking of ordering IOS obdeleven. Has anyone used that to re-aim? Thanks

Ajelderwell

TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta
I recently started applying some coding tweaks to my new-to-me SportWagen, and noticed that there isn’t a good thread/guide on coding that is specific to the SportWagen. As most of you know, the JSW has its own quirks, so not everything you read on the forums translates over as simply as we would like. None of this info is new, but I’m hoping that having it compiled in one spot will be useful to some other beginners who are looking to tweak their wagons, and will prevent some freak-out moments like I had myself. I will be updating this post as more tweaks are discovered.

I am using OBDEleven Pro, but I’m sure a lot of this will translate over to VCDS, as well. There wasn’t a lot of info on what specifically could be tweaked on the JSW using OBDEleven, so I decided to just order it and find out myself. After spending all of the holiday weekend messing with it, here is what I have come up with:

(All tweaks performed on a 2014 Jetta SportWagen w/ 6MT and Pano)

Tweaks that worked:
  • DRL Disable
  • DRL in MFI menu
  • DRL Dimming
  • Coming Home
  • Hill Hold assist time
  • Remote windows function
  • Seat belt warning
  • Air recirculation memory
  • LED parking bulb error removal
  • XDS
  • Gauge sweep ("Indicator celebration"; some cars will use "Staging" instead)
  • PTT/Mute button

Tweaks that did NOT work:
  • DRL via Fogs (can’t figure out why it won’t stick)
  • All radio tweaks (my car has the RCD 510)
  • Front tear drop wiping (Rear works just fine and is enabled from the factory)
  • Mirror dip (requires memory function, which our mirrors don’t have)
  • Leaving home (need Auto switch and Rain sensor)
  • LED fog light bulb error removal (appears there is no way around it without using resistors)
  • Wiper interval control (Rain sensor needed)

Tweaks that I have yet to try:
  • TSC (Torque Steer Compensation)
  • DSR (Dynamic Steering Recommendation)
  • ESC deactivation
  • Brake assist settings
  • Cornering lights

If anyone wants to confirm other tweaks that have or have not worked via OBDEleven, post them up, and I will update the original post!

There are 2 primary ways that I used OBDEleven to make tweaks: “Apps” and “Long Coding”. Apps is OBDEleven’s easy “one-touch” way to apply tweaks, but unfortunately, not everything seems to work as intended between the app and the SportWagen. That’s where Long Coding comes in, as it will allow you to code some tweaks manually.

Things to note:
  • Since OBDEleven is a German program, you will notice that there is not an option for “Jetta SportWagen”. The correct setting for our cars will be “Golf Variant”, as that is what it is called in many overseas markets.
  • If you happen to change the hex in Byte 18 (controls exterior lighting), simply changing the value back to the default setting of “00” will NOT revert your cars lighting settings back to stock. You will find that your external lights will have various quirks (brake lights not working, only one reverse light working, super dim parking lights, etc.), and just about every hex you try willl fail in reverting the lights back to stock. The important thing to remember is the the Byte 18 hex value for the North American Jetta SportWagen is “09”. I had to do quite a bit of digging to figure this out, and I spent half of my Saturday thinking I had permanently broken my car!
How did you add the sportwagen to obdeleven app? I can only see nar, gli, and hybrid as options..

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Very sorry to bump an old thread but I thought it was a better option than creating a new thread. Has anyone got Oil Temp to show up in the MFD/MFI? I've searched around and couldnt seem to find anything on it.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Very sorry to bump an old thread but I thought it was a better option than creating a new thread. Has anyone got Oil Temp to show up in the MFD/MFI? I've searched around and couldnt seem to find anything on it.
Not that I have heard of, and not even with the PolarFIS.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Not that I have heard of, and not even with the PolarFIS.
The last Polar update was supposed to give oil temp. Its been reported by more than one it doesn't. Some say there is no oil temp reading ability but it just seems these cars would have that capability. I find coding interesting but have limited experience here. Is there a way to check if the ability to read oil temps is there. I believe I read the mkVII gives oil temp on Polar?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914