TDI Used Oil Lab Analyses Results & Discussions

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I thought your 2005 2.0 lt TDI engines used a 505.00 - which would have higher levels of Zinc, Mg and calcium. Look at your manual and see if there is a API CI4+ allowed. if so, you may want to give consideration to CJ4 which covers CI4+ oil. Try to find other UOA's of the same engine code and compare

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
WJ, 2005 2.0L TDIs are PDs. 505.01 only (per the book). Some have run API oils in Passats though.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Latest UOA Still on 505.01 Elf Solaris 5w30

The sodium is coming down and will more as I found better source of biodiesel.

Any thoughts?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
wjdell said:
Bob u are correct - was it 2004 the last to show API
2003 was the last year API oils were kosher (per the book). As soon as PDs hit our shores in 2004, it became 505.01 only, until the CRs came out.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also Tom are u not supposed to do 5k with 100 bio. IIRC many companys will say that a 50% reduction in oil life is common with 100% bio fuel. Chevron paper, and Amsoil

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
wjdell said:
Also Tom are u not supposed to do 5k with 100 bio. IIRC many companys will say that a 50% reduction in oil life is common with 100% bio fuel. Chevron paper, and Amsoil
Never heard of this recommendation in 7 years of using 100% BD.

These references to a 50% reduction may be due to oil dilution by BD associated with the newer post combustion fuel injections for the particle filters which these two vehicles do NOT have.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TomB I found both papers and yes they say as much as 50% reduction in oil life using bio fuels. One paper 2 parts is from Chevron lubrication the other is from Amsoil tech paper TSB: MO-2006-05-04. Try a search LubricantsUniversity.com if your interested.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
wjdell said:
TomB I found both papers and yes they say as much as 50% reduction in oil life using bio fuels. One paper 2 parts is from Chevron lubrication the other is from Amsoil tech paper TSB: MO-2006-05-04. Try a search LubricantsUniversity.com if your interested.
Other than AMSOIL being ANTI BD is all their negative assumptions, here is the exact recommendation.

"AMSOIL Motor Oil extended drain interval recommendations
do NOT apply to vehicles using biodiesel
fuels at any mix ratios with petroleum diesel."

Here is the key phrase. 10K is VW recommended oil change interval.

"When using biodiesel fuels at any mix ratio, follow
the OEM recommended oil drain interval"

As well the testing does NOT show any BD dilution of the sample. Blackstone's test for this because I told them about the 100% usage. They have seen NO contamination as claimed by AMSOIL in their assumptions on 100% BD usage.

As well the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the post combustion injections and the particle filter does NOT show any dilution of the oil from 100% usage either based on ACTUAL testing of the oil.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Sootman,

Last three tests are very consistent...the trace of Na and K doesn't seem to be causing any abnormal wear. In fact, Iron levels are on the low side for a PD engine. A check on TBN would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Sooch

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
My oil change history is:
5K Dealer, during tandem pump recall (which they f'd up) so who knows
10K Motul 505.01 5W40
20K Motul 505.01 5W40
30K Motul 505.01 5W40
40K Elf Evolution 506.01 0W30 - Installed DG bypass filter (Now 6qts to full)
50K Elf Evolution 506.01 0W30
60K Elf Solaris LLX 507.00 5W30 - Replaced bypass filter
70K Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 - Replaced bypass filter
80K Mobil 1 TDT 5W40

I took a sample at the 70K change but either the USPS or the Amsoil test lab lost it, so I have no data. But, here is my data from the 80K change. How's this look for a PD?

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
Done with UOA's

My latest uoa shows similar results to the previous ones, but the magnetic drain plug tells a different story. When I ran Total 507 5w-30 the drain plug was loaded with iron flakes or chips actually looked worse than the magnetic plug on my Briggs and Scrap iron mower. Based on this latest uoa I decided I should break down and pay the $13.00 extra for the Mobil TDT at Walmart.
Well the magnetic drain plug just came out clean as a whistle from the UFA oil. I have never got it out so clean with any of the VAG oils, Total was the worst. I suspect the lab pulls some of these numbers out of their ass. From now on I will use the drain plug as the engines health gauge.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=58947&cat=516

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
spiceredwagon said:
My latest uoa shows similar results to the previous ones, but the magnetic drain plug tells a different story. When I ran Total 507 5w-30 the drain plug was loaded with iron flakes or chips actually looked worse than the magnetic plug on my Briggs and Scrap iron mower. Based on this latest uoa I decided I should break down and pay the $13.00 extra for the Mobil TDT at Walmart.
Well the magnetic drain plug just came out clean as a whistle from the UFA oil. I have never got it out so clean with any of the VAG oils, Total was the worst. I suspect the lab pulls some of these numbers out of their ass. From now on I will use the drain plug as the engines health gauge.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=58947&cat=516
None of your test results were that bad, but the UFA Polar Plus 0w40 was pretty good. Why not stick with it for another 20k kilometers or so?

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
Jerry UFA is the acronym for United Farmers of Alberta. If think the oil is made by Petro Canada. It will come up on this forum if you search it.
Now that I know how clean the magnet was I will use it again.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
TooSlick said:
Sootman,

Last three tests are very consistent...the trace of Na and K doesn't seem to be causing any abnormal wear. In fact, Iron levels are on the low side for a PD engine. A check on TBN would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Brain cramp, what does TBN stand for. I haven't had enough coffee yet!:D

Thanks for reviewing the sheet. I'm pleased with everything so far and will continue to keep an eye on my analysis's.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sootman said:
Brain cramp, what does TBN stand for. I haven't had enough coffee yet!:D

Thanks for reviewing the sheet. I'm pleased with everything so far and will continue to keep an eye on my analysis's.
Total Base Number: measures the amount of active additive left in the oil, basically the "life" of the oil left at the time of your sample.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
spiceredwagon said:
I think that your magnet came out clean because you ran the oil in summer only. Could that be the reason? No *cold* starts, less wear and tear on the engine..

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Bob_Fout said:
WJ, 2005 2.0L TDIs are PDs. 505.01 only (per the book). Some have run API oils in Passats though.
Bob is completely correct. I still find it amazing how VW made this oil thing so dang confusing. If they would have made motors that would use regular synthetic diesel oil, we might not be spending so many electrons in this discourse.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
spiceredwagon said:
Jerry UFA is the acronym for United Farmers of Alberta. If think the oil is made by Petro Canada. It will come up on this forum if you search it.
I always thought UFA 0w40 was repackaged Esso XD-3 0w40 -- but at a lower price. If so then it is a true synthetic.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Kriesel said:
Total Base Number: measures the amount of active additive left in the oil, basically the "life" of the oil left at the time of your sample.
Thanks...something new to learn. I can ask if the lab has a test for this and how much it costs the next time I send in a sample. If I get a result I'll post it.

spiceredwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
06 wagon
I think that your magnet came out clean because you ran the oil in summer only. Could that be the reason? No *cold* starts, less wear and tear on the engine..
I plug it in whenever it is below 0°C, then the coolant starts out at 50°C. The cabin warms up quicker that way and its easier on the glow plugs.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Spiceredwagon,

spectrographic analysis only measures dissolved metallic ions and solid particles < 5 microns. So in that respect it can be misleading....

TS

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
TooSlick said:
Spiceredwagon,

spectrographic analysis only measures dissolved metallic ions and solid particles < 5 microns. So in that respect it can be misleading....

TS
BUT if you have chunks bigger than 5 microns in the oil then can we call that damage and not wear? Then your days are numbered and you might not make it to your next UOA. :D