Project: PolarXJ (M-TDI XJ)

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
This is really coming along nicely. I would kill for a Metallic green Limited with the gold wheels and a TDI swap... drooool

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
You are new here. That idiot is well known.

The "bad vendors" thread was started OVER A DECADE AGO largely due to him:

And he has a seemingly endless supply of websites to pawn off the garbage.
...and an endless "hagen das" type of company names.

03Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 92 Toyota swap (ongoing)
I think Giles (performance diesel injection in Ontario Canada) would be a good option for your mtdi pump. Where are you located? I don't know about American injection shops.

ok, so say i wanted to send in my pump for rebuild/rework or as a core against a new M-TDI pump for the ALH ... who's the go-to?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Giles is a well known good vendor for them. I know there are a couple of other ones but I don't know about them. I got parts from hanster before... lots of junk from them.

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
I love this. I drive a 96, 2door, 5speed, 4x4, in that same color! Wish mine was TDI'd but I don't need another project right now.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Like where this is going. John on the "BleepinJeep" youtube channel is on here sometimes, and has a yellow 2K with an ALH swap. He's getting (if I remember right) up around or slightly over 30MPG on 33x10.50 tires on his. Have seen that one in person, and it's nicely done. He didn't go M-TDI, though, he did nozzles and a tune and it's sweet.

Can't wait to see the updates!

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
my plan is 31's and gear he hell out of it if i need to, but anything over 30 and i'd be super happy!

after a short vacation south to visit some family and my sisters new boat, back at it. the 3" skyjacker lift is all finished up and i gained over 4.25" from stock. hopefully it settles some, and i still need to add a steel front bumper. not the highest quality lift i've ever used, but was nice for the money and had dual rate front coils. the dual rate really are the way to go.

not sure when i'll get the 31s, sooner if the inspection mechanic hates on the dryrot starting in these :LOL:

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
got the injector seals and got the Hans .216's installed ... ran basically the same as with the stock injectors. was really hoping that would smooth things out. maybe a little, but still doesn't run well. actually drove the jeep around the house and driveway, even down the road a little to check things out. once i get it running like it should, this thing is going to be awesome.

before i send this pump/injectors to Giles for rebuild/recalibration i want to make SURE it's nothing else. compression tester shows up on Wed, so i re-checked the crank-cam timing while i swapped the belt tensioner, and all that was good. to get the vac pump off the cam i had to get a little creative, i love it when custom tools work really well!

i am having one big issue though ... i can't keep the pump timing! obvious witness marks from the bolts on the pump sprocket moving around on the hub. it's slipped on me a few times and I'm obviously missing something cuz i've only run it a few very short times. i have even found it both advanced and retarded from where i set it before running. thoughts/tips/tricks?

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
still got some good time out there this long weekend and knocked a few things out.

crank to cam timing ... cherry.
Compression #1-4 ... 365/360/360/320

any weird running is officially a pump issue. however i'm also still having issues keeping the pump adjustable sprocket to stay put. i'm to the point that i'm going to drill the sprocket/hub for a dowel pin, or drill and tap more holes at the ends of the slots to really lock it down. any other thoughts on this? my only conclusion at this point is that the 12mm pump is just too much for the factory deal. some of the weird running might be the timing just jumping around all over the place while running.

reverse lights wired and working, the alternator is the only electrical thing left. was shockingly easy to get all the gauges to work.

head pipe painted and wrapped ... because race TDI ... and finished connecting it back to the old factory xj muffler/tailpipe. hopefully this muffler doesn't kill to many of those cool turbo noises.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
still got some good time out there this long weekend and knocked a few things out.

crank to cam timing ... cherry.
Compression #1-4 ... 365/360/360/320

any weird running is officially a pump issue. however i'm also still having issues keeping the pump adjustable sprocket to stay put. i'm to the point that i'm going to drill the sprocket/hub for a dowel pin, or drill and tap more holes at the ends of the slots to really lock it down. any other thoughts on this? my only conclusion at this point is that the 12mm pump is just too much for the factory deal. some of the weird running might be the timing just jumping around all over the place while running.

reverse lights wired and working, the alternator is the only electrical thing left. was shockingly easy to get all the gauges to work.

head pipe painted and wrapped ... because race TDI ... and finished connecting it back to the old factory xj muffler/tailpipe. hopefully this muffler doesn't kill to many of those cool turbo noises.

I wonder why the pump doesn't work well? 😉 I don't think you will ever be able to get ole Hans's pump to run right.

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
after reading up on it, i'll agree that's probably the case. i wanted to eliminate other possible issues first to be sure, and to give whoever rebuilds it a good base line of real issues.

the crazy thing is, he's been very responsive in questions and even sent me some factory fittings free after the initial order. once i get the pump timing set and not moving, i'm actually going to hit him up and see what he says about it running weird. i'll obviously share the response.

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
well ... :poop:

The good:
-exhaust finished up n good to go.
-timing fixed in place

in the 2 unused slots in the pump sprocket, opposite the TDC lock slot, i installed 2 more M8 bolts. this is adding clamp load and surface area, but also to make things basically non-adjustable i put the bolts hard against the opposite edges of the slots. i pinned the hub to set timing and re-torqued the 3 factory bolts. then with an 8mm drill bit against the edge of the slot, i drilled a dimple to make a center. switched over to the m8-1.25 tap drill size and ran em thru. the hub tapped easy, got bolts in, and no more timing wiggle!

The bad:
as expected, it still runs like dog-sh!t :poop: it starts and runs easy enough, but the idol is rought ... then it's smoother ... then it's violent ... then its just rough again. higher R's it smooths out a bit, then while holding a constant RPM, it will just shutter. once bad enough it made me jump back.

thought screw it, i'm guna try driving it anyways. labored backing out of the garage, mind you it's already warming up, and proceeded to turn around and bring it right back in. it's worse than the last time i tried this ... it's getting worse ...

hopefully i can call around talk to a bunch of good shops today to get more info and make a real plan. also have a buddy who works for Cummins looking into what he could get me too.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
You got you conversion kit from Matt Whitbread. I believe he has an mtdi (or used to) great guy and very knowledgeable, been in the TDI scene since myspace was still around.

Hit him up and get his 2 cents worth.

I believe I recall him building one and it took him a lot of work to get it dialed in for what he liked but noted many others wouldn't like how it ran. It was also noted he likely wouldn't build another. May have been another mtdi build but pretty sure it was Matt.

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
Awesome build so far! I like the improvement on the accessory belt tensioner. If I start to have issues with mine, I will definitely be copying that. Fingers crossed no issues, but I've only put 50 miles on the swap so far.

Looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you!

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
Thank you everyone for the compliments and help!

Matt Whitbread
in my new research he keeps having great MTDI comments and help. he is top of my list to call when i can!

i had talked to him a bunch about a "high hp" ALH way back when i had a golf, i always seamed to line up with his thought process. i had actually planned to build the golf motor all crazy and swap it into the 55 chevy you can see in the first post before that Cummins 12V fell into my lap.

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
the more i research the MTDI, the less involved the pump conversion looks to be. I'm really disappointed that i tried to "hit the ez-button" and just buy one, getting junk. i've been tweaking and tuning with the same Bosch VE on a Cummins and thought there was a whole bunch of parts i didn't know what they did. turns out y'all just use crazy German abbreviations and i finally figured out what was what :LOL:

LDA = AFC

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
.....the glow system's operation still seems to be a mystery to me (and the owner). He said they said it was tied to the door buzzer??? Seems strange.
i can't imagine how the door buzzer would help ...
These quotes are from a few posts back.
The use of the door operated interior lamp circuit to initiate the glow plug circuit was used on the Canadian market non-ECU, non-intercooled, mechanical pump B4 Passat with the AAZ code 1.9 diesel. I think the Eco-Diesel A3 Jetta used a similar circuit to initiate the glow plugs before the key was inserted as a means of reducing the driver's wait time.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're already very aquatinted with the Cummins, did you by chance look into modding a 4bt pump to fit your ALH? I realize you're likely heavily invested in your current pump but the guys on 4bt swaps did a few write ups on them. Seemed like a cool idea as here stateside being 4bt parts are a plenty.

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
called Matt, his mailbox is full ... tried leaving a text
Emailed Westyventures ... hoping to hear back
called Giles ... i like that guy, definitely a no BS guy. more expensive than i want to drop on this, but given current availability and prices on stuff he is looking like my best option.

for my own sanity, I'd never be able to let it go if i didn't try to tune the hans pump. last night i got it running better! it officially runs like a giant soggy turd now instead of explosive diarrhea! 🤦‍♂️

:poop:

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
Matt might have convinced me to swap back to the factory electronic ... i still have an 11mm pump on hand. it looked like a lot of ppl liked Fast Forward Auto so i quoted a new harness/tune/injectors from them. a bit spendy but sounds pretty plug-n-play. i need to quote another tuner and ask some questions.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Might make your soggy turd run like clean new undees! David at fast-forward has been great with the after the sale support with my conversion harness.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
If you're having trouble slipping the tapered hub then you're running way too much case pressure. It could be a stuck case pressure valve. I had this exact same issue on a pump that was "rebuilt" at a South Carolina shop and they actually used a valve that had way too strong of a spring. I slipped the taper on the pump shaft twice before I figured out what was wrong.

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
interesting! i wasn't aware of that valve.

at this point, i'd like to tear it apart and play with it ... but it's probably just going to sit on my shelf for a while before i sell it ...

6_DoF

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 ALH XJ
Fast Forward officially received my cores! hopefully he's not all backed up and i can get the set-up soon.

Stage-3
harness with the nifty tach-to-vss
.260 injectors

last night when i got home from work, had ZERO motivation ... but just couldn't sit still. wife threw me out to the shop. ended up fully swapping everything over from M-TDI to 'e-TDI', got everything timed, and wiring laid out ready to tie into the new harness. only thing left is to figure out the throttle-by-wire pedal and i'll be ready.