Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
I kept the standard line. I made a bracket to make it work. It actually fit fine if you just bend it ever so slightly and the bracket moved it away from everything and it is attached at the same number of points as when I had the auto in it. The junk yard was supposed to send me the line but they cut it when they took out the tranny, idiots.

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
Finding Parts for the Auto Awap

Hello All,
How and where did you all go about finding the parts for auto to manual swap? Junkyards only or are there any parts folks that have kits for some of the parts to do the swap. I am in no dire need to do this soon, but want to start collecting the parts for if and when I need to or want to do the tranny swap.

Last edited:

KFnash

TDI
'02 Golf
electrical question

Hey everyone,

I haven’t really seen much discussion about the electrical aspect. I have the diagram that GdB had put up a while ago. It appears to be very strait forward. I have checked on my car and all the colors on relay 175 are the same on his instructions. I have seen mention that there may be differences in wire colors with different models but that is about it. I see that many people have completed the swap but there is little discussion about it now. Is it safe to say that if my wire colors correspond to the colors for the pins on the 175 relay, I should be all set if I just follow the printed instructions?

Other than that, I have all of the parts and can start anytime !!

thanks,

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
97pssat04golfTDIs
How and where did you all go about finding the parts for auto to manual swap? Junkyards only or are there any parts folks that have kits for some of the parts to do the swap. I am in no dire need to do this soon, but want to start collecting the parts for if and when I need to or want to do the tranny swap.

PM me for list of parts and where to find them.

KFnashHey

I haven’t really seen much discussion about the electrical aspect. I have the diagram that GdB had put up a while ago. It appears to be very strait forward. I have checked on my car and all the colors on relay 175 are the same on his instructions. I have seen mention that there may be differences in wire colors with different models but that is about it. I see that many people have completed the swap but there is little discussion about it now. Is it safe to say that if my wire colors correspond to the colors for the pins on the 175 relay, I should be all set if I just follow the printed instructions?

Other than that, I have all of the parts and can start anytime !!

thanks,

Some of colors at relay would be the same as on GdB instructions but double check color code with CORECT pin on relay otherwise it won't work. If you need more info on wiring or swap feel free to contact me, I will help you what I know.

TDI
golf 19991/2
I have a 99.5 Golf TDI with a auto trans in it presently. I found a 97 GTI with a VR6 and 5 speed. Will that transmission and all accessories needed work on the 99.5 golf? If not, what other transmissions will work with the 99.5 TDI in either the manual or the autos?
I have continued to limp this one along, with the same issues I wrote about back in Oct. putting about 18,000 on it since I bought the car. Now has 191,000 and still getting 38-40mpg. Not bad, but I figure it is on borrowed time. Just to remind some of the readers, hard shift 3-4 after about 30 mile commute comming off of interstate 70-75mph. If I drive it about 100miles, it will not shift until it bumps the gov. at about 4200rpm. Let it sit 10-15min. and you are OK for a while. Could a rebuilt valve body help?
I am getting ready to change the trans fluid/filter, and if I thought that would help, I would do that at the same time.

Thanks for having this forum!

Howard

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The biggest thing is to have the transmission from a TDI, the VR6 tranny won't work, a 1.8T will mount up, but you will be at 3500 RPM at 70 MPH in 5th... besides the axles on the VR6 and the transmission, the rest of the parts will work... not much difference between the years. Most people look for the silver counterweight so they can install the dieselgeek short shifter and get around the power steering line issue.

a 97 won't mount in the right place... look at 2001 and later transmissions.

TDI
golf 19991/2
Thanks Alphaseinor and GdB. I will continue to look for a donor. If anyone is interested, That 97 GTI with the VR6 is in craigslist Kansas City or Topeka under VW auto parts. Fairly complete car that was hit in the front rt with the front pushed about 3in to the left. Motor had no oil in it and no obvious reason for it. Look it up if you can use it. The guy's name is Jimmy. Howard

SlntThndr

TDI
2000 VW New Beetle ALH 01M 84k mi
Has anyone found a company that sells the oem clutch pedal assembly and shifter box new? I didn't find them on worldimpex or tdiparts.com and some others. Or should I just go to a junkyard?

I'm not doing the swap yet, just putting together a parts/price list for if and when I do it.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
SlntThndr said:
Has anyone found a company that sells the oem clutch pedal assembly and shifter box new? I didn't find them on worldimpex or tdiparts.com and some others. Or should I just go to a junkyard?

I'm not doing the swap yet, just putting together a parts/price list for if and when I do it.
Nope, atleats I haven't. Even if someone did they would cost $$$, the clutch master cylinder itself cost over $35, then add clutch switch, pedal and your way up. Cheapest and quickes way is go to junkyard and buy from them you can get shifter with linkeage and clutch pedal assembly for $100 or less. If you have some questions about swap or parts list & were to find parts feel free to PM me.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Any VW MK4 gasser or TDI, will work for those parts.

I got my clutch assembly + switches from a NB.:D

SlntThndr said:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Didn't see what someone else posted but the plastic plug is inside of the metal one. You pull the metal, let it drain then pull the plastic one. The plastic one sets the level of the trans fluid.

pfiermka said:
Here is the pic of the auto pan with the metal plug in it.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
yank the auto

I started in this weekend and i noticed somthing I must have not read corectly. I should have pulled the three Tourqeconverter nuts first before removing the transmission. probably would have come out a little easier but i didnt see the plug till after the tranny was on the floor.:) If you are doing this the plug is above the passenger side axle and it is easier to get to with the axle removed and the plastic shield as well. I wil try to add a photo later, but keep forgetting camera at home. the second thing is that automatic stick shifter what a F..:mad: .n puzzle that thing was yank on the knob it will come off once that happend it wasnt to bad to get apart. does that cable under the dash have any value or should i just leave it under there?
can those stub axle cups be purchased new? or is it cheaper to buy the axles?:confused: I dont want to buy used axles but I am cheap so.... ( altough I do prefer Frugal)LOL.
so all removal is complete now i need to get a new clutch master cylinder, starter, and stubs or axle's and the reassembly will comence.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
plastic plug

jasonTDI said:
Didn't see what someone else posted but the plastic plug is inside of the metal one. You pull the metal, let it drain then pull the plastic one. The plastic one sets the level of the trans fluid.
I think he was looking for the fill plug wich is on the front of the trany above the skid plate has a unique locking mechanism you need a little screwdiver to undo.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I found it easier to bust it out of gear to remove the automatic stick shifter, and yes it is a PITA.

JUST CUT that cable under the dash anywhere, its used to lock the steering if in PARK I believe, it fails (cut) to unlocked.

The manual axles are cheap online or at Autozone with core, $220 total for both. It's a bit more than used stubs, but much quicker to find and install.

Put the new clutch and master cylinder in 1st.

MR. Frey

TDI
2001 tdi Golf auto
flange numbers

I will do the axles if my flange search fails, however does any one know the part # for 108mm flanges? what do they cost new? Thanks ;D

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I doubt VW will sell you them for less than the axles. In my area VW charges an arm and a leg, huge markup. VW wanted $40 for a thermostat!

I don't think you will find them on WORLD IMPEX, but it's free to check.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
GdB said:
I doubt VW will sell you them for less than the axles. In my area VW charges an arm and a leg, huge markup. VW wanted $40 for a thermostat!

I don't think you will find them on WORLD IMPEX, but it's free to check.
Thats true, I find it that getting used manual axles is more time efficient and cheaper then trying to find flanges. You can take your old auto axle and sell them to some one to recoup some $$ spent.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
BTW I think I put a good online source for new axles in my posted notes. It was almost the exact same price as Autozone ($220), but you get to keep the old axles (no core), and I think free shipping. So it could be cheaper if you can still sell your old axles.

A here it is:
germanautoparts.com has new axles for $100 + sh, no core charge.

Also, I found the PN:
[FONT=&quot]2 x 02A 409 355 G - 108mm Flange (~ $200 each), but you can get them from the vortex for around $75

[/FONT]

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Please Folks Read The Notes Before Asking Questions!

HERE:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_swap_comments.doc
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_SWAP_ELECTRICAL_WIRING_SIMPLE_CONDENSED_VERSION2.doc

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
GdB said:

HERE:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_swap_comments.doc
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/GdB_SWAP_ELECTRICAL_WIRING_SIMPLE_CONDENSED_VERSION2.doc
I'm going need to some day make clear manual swap parts list and with places where to get parts, and post in to "How to... or FAQ" thread so people can look search first before asking same question ten times over.

DieselErik

TDI
2001 and 2004 Jetta
OEM Axels Please!!!!

GdB said:
BTW I think I put a good online source for new axles in my posted notes. It was almost the exact same price as Autozone ($220), but you get to keep the old axles (no core), and I think free shipping. So it could be cheaper if you can still sell your old axles.

A here it is:
germanautoparts.com has new axles for $100 + sh, no core charge.

Also, I found the PN:
[FONT=&quot]2 x 02A 409 355 G - 108mm Flange (~ $200 each), but you can get them from the vortex for around $75

[/FONT]
When replacing axels on TDIs I have made the mistake of being tempted by the cheap price on aftermarket parts like those on germanautoparts. DON’T DO IT!!! The $100 axels are manufactured by EMPI and are no where near the quality of the OEM parts. The combination of not using tube shafts like to original parts and the CV joints on these axels not being manufactured with the same tolerances as the OEM parts, leads to MASSIVE VIBRATION in the driveline. The same is true for rebuilt axels at the autozone or equivalent neighborhood parts store, while they may use OEM tubes the CV joints are typically cheap aftermarket parts that are manufactured with very loose tolerances and the results are the same. Your VW will turn into a “buzz box” and this is not good for other expensive driveline parts like the output bearings in the transmission. Almost all online parts places sell the EMPI axels (some of them even label them OEM, so beware) and I can say from experience they are garbage. I had to revert to all OEM axel and CV parts to regain the smooth operation of my TDI. Search and you will find this is not my unique experience, and the experts will recommend OEM only when it comes to the axels. Unfortunately OEM axel parts do not come cheap…

For the swap, junk yard parts are going to be the cheapest way to get OEM axels under your car. Germanautoparts does sell the OEM passengers side long axel for a very good price ($200), they don’t carry the drives axels unfortunately (and I have requested that they try to get it for a reasonable price, but without any luck)

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Junkyard axles are fine... I've got clients with 350,000 miles that have the original axles and boots.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Well I least i have a lifetime warranty on my Autozone axles. I have not noticed any vibration up to 120MPH, so I can't tell if it is worse than OEM.

So I guess the flange swap method is preffered if you have the time to track down used flanges.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
As alphasenior said, the junkyards would by way to go for cheap OEM parts. I got both of axle for under $200 with less then 100k on them so, they should last long ways yet.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Not enough TDI's in my area to get one from a junk yard.

If I had known the quality difference, I would have called around more.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
GdB said:
Not enough TDI's in my area to get one from a junk yard.

If I had known the quality difference, I would have called around more.
Thats true, I find that VW parts in midwest actually cheaper then like east or west cost or south regions even though there are less vw in my region then east coast.