Old Navy's Fall '10 GTG

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Made it back about 10pm. Had a good time and enjoyed the company. Only thing I was worried about Frank not getting all his work done.;) Are you sure Walt he is not still in the back doing injectors:D

Greg
No Greg, I did check before closing up last night. :D

Frank did stay the night in local motel as did Dan who had the problem what I think is a low compression on one cylinder. Jerry also stayed over at the motel. I was keeping fingers crossed that they would all deside to get up and have breakfast together before leaving and give me a call. :D

But with all the work Frank did who knows how late he might sleep, if it had been me I would been lucky to out of bed by checkout time. :eek:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
BTW, thanks for the directions to the Santia fuel depot in Sikeston- very nice. I especially like to see the filter on the pump.

davrink

TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 2004 Dodge 2500 cummins 4x4
I would like to thank ALL who came, but would like to thank Walt and his wife for hosting this event. The day went by sooo fast. Of course, I was just watching , mostly.
I power napped at the QT at 13 & I-44. Home and in the house at 03:00 Sunday morning. Only one small critter seen on the way home. Dave

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
What a great time! Thanks again Walt for having the GTG! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone, but it's challenging to socialize when assisting timing belt changes!

I drove slowly both ways and I've got a quarter tank remaining with nearly 700 miles on the tripmeter! :D

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I got home about an hour ago, without incident! Plenty of police presence on Illinois' highway system today, but since I was plodding along I was "off the radar" so to speak. Plenty of others were pulled over though. Enough of that though, BIG thanks to Walt, Linda, Elai, and Zander for hosting and putting up with the collected crazyness that is a TDIClub GTG. Liath did pertty good mileage wise for her first GTG. She got 42.56mpg on the trip down and 50.47mpg on the way home. Thanks to Frank for the nozzle install. You went way beyond the call, and I sincerely thank you for your effort. To everyone else, nice to see old friends again and to make new ones.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
What a great time! Thanks again Walt for having the GTG! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone, but it's challenging to socialize when assisting timing belt changes!

I drove slowly both ways and I've got a quarter tank remaining with nearly 700 miles on the tripmeter! :D
I sure thank you for the air gun to blow stuff off the engines with, not that I need one as I already have one. :) But a guy can never have too many tools. ;) It be here waiting for you next October.:D

Who ever left the 2010 TDI Fest GTG cup, thanks for a fine gift. :D However I would have rather had an unused cup. ;)

My feet still hurt from all the standing and walking. :eek:

Just filled here last week for $2.899, looks like it's going up.

Last edited:

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Emerald Green
Made it home fine and really enjoyed the GTG. Thanks Walt and Linda (and the boys). Walt called shortly after I arrived and said he had lost Internet service so will be back on whenever he can. It is always nice to meet new folks with a common interest and see not old but familiar faces. Missed quite a few folks and hope to see them next year. It is always nice to be around people so willing to help another.

Jerry

vman858

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta
Thanks Walt and Linda! I had a great time, as Jerry said great talking to people and being around folks so willing to help. That was a great use of vacation day and I am going to try my hardest to not wait another 3 years. I plan on making it next year. Thanks again
Vince

stevebanks

TDI
Jetta, 1999, Black; Audi Q5 TDI
Thanks for having me at my first "Old Navy" GTG. The food and company were great, and its always good to talk TDIs. Frank - Thanks for the nozzle swap. The car is running great and so smoooooth. By the way, the air nozzle is Frank's. He used it to blow out the injector holes in the block.

Thanks again for the great time!
Steve Shell

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Thanks for having me at my first "Old Navy" GTG. The food and company were great, and its always good to talk TDIs. Frank - Thanks for the nozzle swap. The car is running great and so smoooooth. By the way, the air nozzle is Frank's. He used it to blow out the injector holes in the block.

Thanks again for the great time!
Steve Shell
Well someone will eventually claim the other two items, guess I will bag them and hang on the wall for next year. :)

invest3

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002
Great GTG!

Thank you Walt & Linda for the fine hospitality and digging up an extra cheeseburger for me. It was great seeing everyone this year and meeting some new TDI friends. And thanks to Frank for his advice on where to put the temperature sensor :eek:.

Rolled into STL about 9:30 last night. I got 767 miles out of this tank- about 300 was down and back to STL, the rest around town. Averaged 49.97 mpg, can we call it 50? :cool:

BTW, the bull stands for BULL MARKET. Go baby go!

Last edited:

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Manny:
It is not often, in fact I will go as far as to say I personally, have never received such an offer of kindness as you stated on the forum regarding fixing my TB while on a trip to you fathers home.
I have never had something like that bestowed on me. I read your forum note several times and cried.
I honestly will never understand God, and I feel He wants to keep it that way.
After reading your note as I said several times, I had no way to respond to it.
Of course I would be delighted for you to drop by on Thanksgiving week and replace my timeing belt. I shall reserve and pay for a room for you and your party at the Hampton or Holiday Inn for you and I will be grateful to do it.
I can get a set of ramps I think, and I can get a set of light stands if we need them. My garage is a mess but I think I can get it clean enough and borrow a back roller from someone and try to make things as convenient for you as possible.
This is honestly the first time something of this magnitude has happened to me.

It is the opposite types of life events that get us red hot in the furnace. And then after we ar glowing to a white orange color we are immediately quenched in cold water. From those types of events, that occurr over the decades of time, we become extremely hard and very brittle.
We lose patience at the drop of a dime because we anticipate what is going to happen next. We have read the book before, over and over.

Then someone like you comes along. It is just like standing in the right side of the batters box, waiting for a Nolan Ryan fast ball, and getting that curve that he developed later in his career. Your knees buckle and you wait for the impact but the ball breaks impossibly sharply and what you anticipated does not develop at all.

Manny, you are a Nolan Ryan curve ball on the road of life. I can't get over your generosity. I doubt that I ever will.
I look forward to meeting you.
Please call
Patrick

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well said Pat, well said indeed. And yes Manny is a straight shooter, if ever I saw one, as is several others I have met here at the GTG's over the years. I can not say I have met anyone at my GTG's that I didn't like, Fred's folks are great and why Linda I still do the GTG's after the last VW of our's went down the road to someone else over 5 years ago.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Walt:
I had a great time with the visit.
Let me know when and if you need more gloves.

What I found odd was that with the exception of the one Passat it looked as if VW stopped building TDI's after the ALH, maybe they are just more of a bunch Gear Heads the ALH group , THAT'S A GOOD THING.

TDIinTexas "David" his 260hp Jetta was very nice.
David if you read this Yes I did beat You back to Texas!!!!!!!!!

And David I will never tell anyone that I started hours before you. NO ONE ELSE READ THIS THANK YOU.

Another Great GTG.

Thank You.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
2slowtdi thanks for the gloves, they are needed with my lead handling duties. :D

Still can't get the computer to come up in the dash on the Benz, guess mine is different or just ignores me. :eek:

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
I thoroughly enjoyed the gtg. The hospitality of the host and hostess was warm and generous. The Old Navy GTG is a special gathering and, having missed the last two, I was determined to make it this time. As always, it was a great setting for learning and social fun. It was good to see Jerry and Greg again and meet new friends. I explained the inconsistent mileage and boost I've observed recently to Frank and KCTDI and got good answers. A little experimentation and observation on the way home confirmed what they told me.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
2slowtdi thanks for the gloves, they are needed with my lead handling duties. :D

Still can't get the computer to come up in the dash on the Benz, guess mine is different or just ignores me. :eek:

As you pointed out there where differences from the 05 to the 06 on the inside but you never know about the rest I would not put it passed them just to make it hard on DIY's.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hey guys...

It's always good to see some new faces. And Jerry Stringer, we only seem to contact once a year. I'm indebted to you. Manual Tranny, it was good to kinda meet you... we both kept too busy to actually do what I'd call 'meet'. I am particularly impressed with your mileage. I tell people not to EXPECT that... Tom, glad to make the car GO. Working with the son now. Dan(All of Us), even though you got great mileage going home, that is far from the last shot. The #1 cylinder has issues. I'll send you a replacement nozzle and the missing injector hold down washer this week. Keep me in the loop.

A few other things...

1. Does anybody know David Froula's phone number? He's from Murfeesboro, TN. I need to get in contact with him.
2. I asked if anybody had a intake manifold elbow for a ALH. Somebody gave me one. I owe him for it.
3. Walt, thanks for loaning me a screwdriver for a year. Now I think you have my Langhorne coffee mug.. probably also for a year. I think a modified 5mm socket might have gotten away too.
4. Thank you all for the community. There is something special about a guy who doesn't have a VW anymore but still has GTG's.

I look forward to the next.

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Thanks for the kind words Frank, it has become something that we (yes Linda even enjoys the GTG) look forward to every year and now we have the boys who seem to enjoy the day also. :D

Frank I will look around for the 5mm socket, but I don't think it's here. I suspect it's under the hood of Dan's Jetta. ;)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt et al:

It seems Liath was hungry at your GTG because she ate one of Frank's 13mm sockets and one of the hold down washers for an injector. However, I don't think that particular 5mm socket ever made it near my car. After I arrived home I pulled my bash plate to see if any of the aforementioned items were still in residence down there, but unfortunately, nothing was in there. I'll bet they are along the side of the road somewhere between Poplar Bluff and Chicago.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Walt et al:

It seems Liath was hungry at your GTG because she ate one of Frank's 13mm sockets and one of the hold down washers for an injector. However, I don't think that particular 5mm socket ever made it near my car. After I arrived home I pulled my bash plate to see if any of the aforementioned items were still in residence down there, but unfortunately, nothing was in there. I'll bet they are along the side of the road somewhere between Poplar Bluff and Chicago.

Dan
I think you're right about the lost items laying on the pavement somewhere between here Chicago. :eek:

Someone made a comment at the GTG that gave me a chuckle, "I have the GTG's to make me clean out the garage every fall". ;) Seems my secret is out. :p

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
Hey guys...

A few other things...

1. Does anybody know David Froula's phone number? He's from Murfeesboro, TN. I need to get in contact with him.
2. I asked if anybody had a intake manifold elbow for a ALH. Somebody gave me one. I owe him for it.
Frank I will give you a call next week (I am Dave).

The manifold elbow was Mike's (2slowtdi) from Dallas.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Manny, you are a Nolan Ryan curve ball on the road of life. I can't get over your generosity. I doubt that I ever will.
I look forward to meeting you.
Please call
Patrick
Patrick, thank you very much for your kind words. Really, I don't mean for it to be such a big deal but I guess it is rare for people to do nice things for others these days. I was running out of money and very much in need of help this Spring when paramedick offered help to me. I'm still very grateful and I want to pay this favor forward as much as I can.

Manual Tranny, it was good to kinda meet you... we both kept too busy to actually do what I'd call 'meet'. I am particularly impressed with your mileage. I tell people not to EXPECT that...
Great to meet you too Frank, you have a great sense of humor! I would love to visit your shop sometime and see what you're doing there. I know you're busy all the time, if you could teach me to do a couple things I'd be happy to help you catch up on work in return!
I think a modified 5mm socket might have gotten away too.
If you're talking about the ground-down 5mm allen, I think I returned it to you you at the end of the day... somebody went to get it for me when I was in the middle of the TB job (probably because my poor organization lead to difficulties keeping track of MY 5mm), but perhaps it's lost in a pocket or a cubbyhole in your truck? I hope you find it!

AllofUS (Dan) sorry I couldn't make it to the Chicago GTG, I parked in Spanish Harlem a couple of nights ago so I ended up with a broken drivers side window and a missing GPS. The thieves 'forgot' my Scangauge, lots of change, and more than $2000 in tools. My GPS was old, needed updating for 3 years, and the battery was destroyed from cold weather. I was planning on getting a new one soon. :rolleyes: I'll be making a post about all this later. My heart really sank when I saw the broken window.. I can't tell you how big the smile on my face was when I saw they went for the least valuable thing in the car and ran off!! :D:D:D

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Mike:

A bit of good luck only having the GPS unit disappear. Looks like (insert your deity of choice) is watching over you. It was a pretty good crowd in Yorkville, maybe you can make it some other time.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
AllofUS (Dan) sorry I couldn't make it to the Chicago GTG, I parked in Spanish Harlem a couple of nights ago so I ended up with a broken drivers side window and a missing GPS. The thieves 'forgot' my Scangauge, lots of change, and more than $2000 in tools. My GPS was old, needed updating for 3 years, and the battery was destroyed from cold weather. I was planning on getting a new one soon. :rolleyes: I'll be making a post about all this later. My heart really sank when I saw the broken window.. I can't tell you how big the smile on my face was when I saw they went for the least valuable thing in the car and ran off!! :D:D:D
Funny you mention GPS as I picked up a like new TomTom XL series for $50 at my buddies pawn shop yesterday. :D:D:D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Pretty sad when some druggie/punk/gang-banger breaks into a car for a $50 GPS. Dummies must think they are $500 yet. Heck the window is 3x's the cost to replace.

At least it was a window.....My truck (Yukon) got a claw hammer to the drivers door handle. $2100 later.....I parked it for 20 min. Hippie neighborhood. Had to go get a bike for a friend. All for about $2.