Old Navy's Fall '10 GTG

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Week before the GTG someone broke into neighbors new PU truck and ripped out the custom sound system, and the term "ripped" just about covers it. They crawled under truck and cut battery cables, pryed open door with crowbar and used same crowbar to remove, dash.

Truck was only 6 month old and to save a few dollars he got $1500 deduictable on his comprehensive insurance and $2000 on collision. :eek:

My guess is about $4000 loss on the truck. Wonder how long it will take with the savings to make up for the $2500 or so loss.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
AllofUS (Dan) sorry I couldn't make it to the Chicago GTG, I parked in Spanish Harlem a couple of nights ago so I ended up with a broken drivers side window and a missing GPS. The thieves 'forgot' my Scangauge, lots of change, and more than $2000 in tools.
Sounds like a typical Crackhead snatch and grab.

Walt et al:

It seems Liath was hungry at your GTG because she ate one of Frank's 13mm sockets and one of the hold down washers for an injector. However, I don't think that particular 5mm socket ever made it near my car. After I arrived home I pulled my bash plate to see if any of the aforementioned items were still in residence down there, but unfortunately, nothing was in there. I'll bet they are along the side of the road somewhere between Poplar Bluff and Chicago.

Dan
laffs, my belly pan caught everything but I found that a couple of smacks in the middle of the belly pan and like burping a baby or performing a hemlich it would cough whatever it was up on the garage floor.

Week before the GTG someone broke into neighbors new PU truck and ripped out the custom sound system, and the term "ripped" just about covers it. They crawled under truck and cut battery cables, pryed open door with crowbar and used same crowbar to remove, dash.

Truck was only 6 month old and to save a few dollars he got $1500 deductible on his comprehensive insurance and $2000 on collision. :eek:

My guess is about $4000 loss on the truck. Wonder how long it will take with the savings to make up for the $2500 or so loss.
ouch.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Just a follow up on Liath. Frank got the problem all sorted out and she is purring like a kitten again. Turns out all cylinders had between 515 and 525psi of compression so that wasn't the problem. The replacement injector made everything "right as rain". Thanks again to Frank for staying on this issue to completion. Hope the 12pt 13mm socket I sent back with the other injector is an adequate replacement for the one Liath ate at the GTG!

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Volks:
Just a follow up on Liath. Frank got the problem all sorted out and she is purring like a kitten again. Turns out all cylinders had between 515 and 525psi of compression so that wasn't the problem. The replacement injector made everything "right as rain". Thanks again to Frank for staying on this issue to completion. Hope the 12pt 13mm socket I sent back with the other injector is an adequate replacement for the one Liath ate at the GTG!
Dan
Man that's great to hear Dan as it sure sounded like it had compression loss from a bent or burned valve and really had me feeling down for you. But this is great news, glad Frank got you fixed up.

Now maybe next year you can sit back and just enjoy and not have car worries. :D

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
What a relief

Amen to that, Walt! I thought I was looking at expensive repair bills when I left your place, and it turned out not to be the case. A guy's gotta luck out once in a while. Hopefully, next year will be a much more social experience, and a whole lot less nervous one. Thanks again to You, Linda, and the Boys for hosting.

Dan

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Volks:
Dan
Now just fathom what a "dealer" would have charged you for fixing this. They would have probably sold you a new motor! :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dealers always go for the three most expensive components first: ECU, Injection Pump, Turbo. Then on to the block and head.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Volks:.

Well, all I can say is thank God for TDIClub and the network of people I've met and gotten to know since buying my first TDI. There is such a depth of knowledge and experience here that you can get a problem properly diagnosed. If you had to count on the stealership for repairs you would easily be in the poorhouse. All the service departments seem to do is throw parts at a car until the problem goes away. As Peter mentioned they start with the most expensive ones and work down the list from there. No diagnosis involved. There are very few actual mechanics anymore, but a whole lot of parts replacers. I forgot to thank Ryan (Ausgezeichnet TDi) before for letting me use his tools and his experience for the compression test, so thank you too!

Dan