Old Navy's Fall '10 GTG

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Well it's time top start planning for the fall GTG, this will be on 16 Oct GTG held here at the house.

As usual we will provide the food and drink, but if you have something special you want to bring feel free to do so. We have a gas fired grill and if you want to warm up something or cook something special feel free to do so. What we do is try to provide all the food and drink along with a outside porta-potty for the guys. The reason for this is that everyone is generally coming in from 3 to 6 hr drive, and some may be 10 or 12 hrs road time, and it is hard to travel with food for those distances. Also if some are not able to come at last minute who is bringing something needed we would be caught short, by my providing it and then everyone chipping in to the kitty to offset our expenses no one goes hungry or thirsty.

This will also be open to both MB diesel drivers so there may be some new faces driving newer tech then VW USA or some some really old technology. :p ;)

Links to Past Oct GTG's, enjoy. :D

'03 Fall 2003 GTG

'04 Fall 2004 GTG

'05 Fall 2005 GTG

'06 Fall 2006 GTG

'07 Fall 2007 GTG

'08 Fall 2008 GTG

'09 Fall 2009 GTG

Some Spring GTG's also:

'03 Spring 2003 GTG

'05 Spring 2005 GTG

Work List:
As yet to be determined.

VW TB List:
As yet to be determined.

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

General maintenance & trouble shooting, may include MB's:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

Remember guys this is a DIY with supervision, unless you make arrangements with one of the individuals that has tools & ability such as MOGolf, Paramedick or someone else. You can post on the last page that info so I can note it in the TB & General Maintenance sections.

Here are the local motel phone numbers for those needing lodging and directions to the house.

Comfort Inn 800-228-5150

Bullwinkles Rustic Lodge 573-778-3535

Holiday Inn 573-776-1200

Super 8 Motel 800-800-8000

Here are the directions for those who need them.

If you are coming from St Louis take I-55 South to Festus/Crystal City area, (exit 174 I think) then take 67 South about 120 miles to Poplar Bluff. Stay on 67 business/ Westwood Blvd, do not take any exits. About 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer; you will come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming south from IL, the NE area of the US, or SE area of US such as Memphis, take I-57 to US 60, and US 60 to Poplar Bluff, and if coming by I-55 go to the I-55 and US 60 interchange at Sikeston MO. Take the 60 West exit to Poplar Bluff, approx 52 miles. At the second Poplar Bluff exit take the second exit for business 67S/Westwood Blvd. Once on business 67S you will pass the local Dodge/Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill, at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the south of town on Hwy 67N (as some of you AR boys are) Take the 3rd Poplar Bluff exit. You will see the local Dodge/Jeep dealer on your right at this off ramp, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer on Business 67S/Westwood Blvd till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy Lane becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

If coming in from the west, go to Springfield MO, and from there take US Highway 60 E to Poplar Bluff. It is all 4 lanes except about 30 miles of the 190 miles to Poplar Bluff. You will take Hwy 60 W to the intersection of 60 and 67 at that point you will take the first exit (60E and 67S) and head south about 8 miles. You will come to an interchange, do not take any exits. You will pass the local Dodge and Jeep dealer, proceed about 3/4 mile passed the Dodge dealer, till you come to your second stop light. Take a left at that first light onto Katy Lane. Go up and over the hill at this point Katy lanes becomes Barron Road. Continue on Barron Rd to the first stop sign, (about 2.0 miles) then turn left onto Main St and go up over the hill to first stop sign (about 0.3 miles), then turn right onto Wilcox Road. Take Wilcox Road up over the hill (about 0.2 mile's) and at the first street to the right, (there is a yellow sign with arrows pointing left and right) turn right onto Avondale. Go past one house to the first street to the right and turn right. We are second house on the left. Look for gaggle of VW's and a couple of MB's.

For those coming in at the north side of the town (everyone should be) and going straight to the motel, go past the second light and the Super8 is on the right, next to the McDonald's and you can turn into the McD's (easiest way) lot to get to Super8. Holiday inn is on the right about 1/8th mile past the McD's. The Drury and Comfort Inn motels are about 1/4 mile down the road on the left. The Bluff Inn is about 1/10th mile passed the Drury and Comfort Inn's on the opposite side of Westwood Blvd/67 Business.

GPS:

36*47'01"N
090*23'43"W

2610 W. Avondale St
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901

If you have any questions just ask.

No Home phone, we are wireless now.

Cell is 573-778-6907

Remember KK donuts are always welcome and make the wife happy. :D

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
woofie2 said:
I will try and make it...

Missed you last year with car "Problems"

I am interested in discussing chipping, should the JSRMster be there.
I haven't sent him a link to the page as yet, if you want contact him or send him a link.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I'll bring an extra set of timing belt tools, and I will be more than happy to do the TB/WP/Tensioner/rollers/cam seal/idler/bolts, or just assist someone!

As far as MB general troubleshooting and maintenance goes, I may drive my 240D and see if I can pick people's brains. It needs a bit of restoration and I wouldn't mind discussing options with MB owners if they're around! =)

Last edited:

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
manual_tranny said:
I'll bring an extra set of timing belt tools, and I will be more than happy to do the TB/WP/Tensioner/rollers/cam seal/idler/bolts, or just assist someone!

As far as MB general troubleshooting and maintenance goes, I may drive my 240D and see if I can pick people's brains. It needs a bit of restoration and I wouldn't mind discussing options with MB owners if they're around! =)
Man sometimes I really miss my old 240D and those lazy drives zipping along at 55 mph and when really felt like burning up the road I get her up around 65 mph and let her sing. ;)

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt:

I need to check the schedule, but barring something big Ian and I are looking forward to another trip to Poplar Bluff. Maybe this year we will be able to take Liath to her first GTG.

Dan

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Walt:

Any word on whether Frank is coming? I think I have some issues with Liath's injectors that I'm pretty sure he could cure.

Dan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
All of Us said:
Walt:

Any word on whether Frank is coming? I think I have some issues with Liath's injectors that I'm pretty sure he could cure.

Dan
I've sent quit a few out, but will check tomorrow. I'm headed to bed to do some reading now. :D

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
I have it on my calendar but don't know where I will be when it goes down. I just finished the 80K mi tune up on my Jetta and everything is purring like it should. The timing belt replacement is very easy on the BRM motor. I will try and come just so I can enjoy the fellowship and possibly be of assistance to others.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Unless something changes, we're scheduled to be on vacation, starting the 15th. I'm sorry that I will miss the event.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
Excellent. I am on the 4 day weekend of my rotating shift schedule on 16 Oct. I will most likely bring the MB 300SD as the woman hates all things cars and will want to drive the Passat instead of the boat. :)

Driving down from Lake Saint Louis. Probably won't need work on the MB but I will probably have my injector testor for the old Bosch units by then. Maybe a few other MB specific tools also.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
truman said:
Unless something changes, we're scheduled to be on vacation, starting the 15th. I'm sorry that I will miss the event.
truman this is the vacation!!! That other is just family duty. ;)

Wow!!! It won't seem right w/o you truman. :(

Last year when MOGolf missed that GTG, it seemed strange w/o the guy that can pack more parts and tools in a car then anyone would think possible.

When closing up the garage last night at 10:30 it was 90F and 87% humidity in the back yard. Felt a lot nicer with the "big" drop in humidity. :eek:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
We've put this date on the calender. It's a work day for me. Basically depends on how much vacation time I have left after spending first week of October at the beach. :) I'll know for sure after Labor Day weekend.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
We've put this date on the calender. It's a work day for me. Basically depends on how much vacation time I have left after spending first week of October at the beach. :) I'll know for sure after Labor Day weekend.
Oct at the beach!!!! You better have room for one more.

On second thought seeing you in a speedo has taken the thrill out of idea of going to the beach!!! :eek:

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
This is a good time as always. The day after my birthday. 63 This year. Is anyone going to be up to doing a TB on the 99 NB?
I am slowly getting the internals back together after the dashboard fire and should have it all working except for the radio by the end of the month (July).
Allstate said they would cover the costs if the blower control switch was acturally the cause for the fire. They would not pay for the control switch itself but would pay for other parts. Unfortunately the blower switch comes in a "cassette" type electronic unit that also carries the A/C temperature and the damper air flow locations so how do you determine what is what? I gave up on filing a claim and am putting it together part by part. The detail job is the worst because three cans of dry fire extinguisher powder can make a mess of the passenger cabin.
Will be fun to see everyone again its been a couple of years.
Pat/Barbara

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Is anyone going to be up to doing a TB on the 99 NB?
I could use the practice if you and/or a guru present want to make sure I'm doing it right. I can bring all the tools except for VAGCOM and I hope to have one of those by the time the GTG rolls around.

I had trouble with my first TB job and the guys around here taught me how to do it right, (especially Paramedick)... but I haven't had a chance to do one in a few months now. If you prefer to have the whole job done by a more experienced member, I would still be happy to help and/or lend tools. (I also have 3 jacks and 2 jack stands + all the TB tools)

Mike

ensanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 1999.5, black
I will try as well....but if I don't get the Jetta up and going after the TDI swap than I might have to bring it on a trailer behind the CRD Libby to have someone smarter than me try to figure something out!! My wife wants to know if there is a scrapbook store in Popular Bluff so she can come along and scrap.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I will try as well....but if I don't get the Jetta up and going after the TDI swap than I might have to bring it on a trailer behind the CRD Libby to have someone smarter than me try to figure something out!! My wife wants to know if there is a scrapbook store in Popular Bluff so she can come along and scrap.
Linda says she thinks so, but will check it out to be sure.

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Manual Tranny:
I accept your gracious offer. I will not be much physical help, but will definitely co-operate and be a distraction as often as I can.
Thanks again,
Patrick

Last edited:

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Woofie:
I saw the photos and that is a very similar condition. Unfortunately, for me, I am going to do (have someone) repair the damage. I don't want to give up on a car that drives as well and in all other aspects performs as well as the VW.
I hope you can make the GTG at ON's house in October, it will be good to see you again, also to see what you have done to your car regarding mods.

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
Linda says she thinks so, but will check it out to be sure.
There was a scrapbooking shop about a 1/4 mile south of the Super 8 motel on the main drag on the opposite side of the road in a shopping center set way back from the road. But that was almost three years ago. They didn't have any classes in the store back then but maybe do now.

I goggled Scrapbooking Poplar Bluff, MO and came up with three scrapbooking places and they had their phone #'s listed