Diesel Generator for the end of the world

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There has been an Amish buggy going up my road every morning and back in the evening each day for over a week. A couple of pretty young women from the nearby community are helping to harvest winter squash in a field at the end of the road. I might have to find religion if the lights ever go out permanently. ;)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Over two thirds of the world population makes do without tp, and not that long ago the entire world did. Bathing yourself doesn't require a college education.
Says the guy with smelly fingers

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I will use other alternatives, but I prefer spoiling myself with TP. No need to hoard, it’s not like it’s something a person will all of a sudden use more of. Didn’t get the hoarding thing either
True about the TP hoarding thing ... A person only uses so much toilet paper in a lifetime.

I didn't hoard .... I bought far less than I would ever use in a lifetime ... maybe only a years worth! ;-)

I haven't found too many easy substitutes for TP.

As far as end of times ....

We had a chance to try to learn how to curb / handle the spread of a pandemic because of the Covid 19 popping up.

Delta 19 Came on the scene and we should have seriously seen if we could have kept that from spreading .....

Needless to say THAT did not work.

IF / when Covid mutates into something far deadlier .... I fear we are powerless to stop that spread as well.

Good luck in advance to all ..... and he / she who wipes last wins ! ;-)

Andrew

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
True about the TP hoarding thing ... A person only uses so much toilet paper in a lifetime.

I didn't hoard .... I bought far less than I would ever use in a lifetime ... maybe only a years worth! ;-)

I haven't found too many easy substitutes for TP.

Andrew
I know someone who tried poison ivy once, he had big balls

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Truthfully, if we (statistically, Americans), didn't eat so much in adulthood (we top 3000 calories per day, on average), we wouldn't poop so much. And, if we were not eating so much preprocessed, partially digested, nutritionally null food, we'd also not poop so much.

And yes, I realize I am the pot in the pot/kettle comment. ;)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe a generator running on 💩 would be the answer

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Bio methane...not a bad idea actually. Look at all Matt Damon was able to accomplish on Mars with :poop:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If I truly needed a generator for an EOTWAWKI event, I definitely wouldn't be going after one of those disposable ones sold at the big box stores. plus without any means of long term fuel storage that idea would be short lived anyways. If I didn't get rounded up into a FEMA camp and I survived the wave of chaos and was looking for a long tem solution I'd hunt me down one of the old hit and miss engines. A large single cylinder with a massive flywheel. run a belt to an induction motor, bank of alternators or a traditional generator to make the needed power.

while most everyone is looking for gasoline that hasn't gone stale I'd be harvesting all the oil out of the millions of abandoned cars that could burn in one of these old hit and miss engines

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Says the guy with smelly fingers
Haha. Fortunately, Maine has an abundance of fresh, clean water. And low population density. While you're out stalking Walmarts for tp with the other zombies, I'll be stockpiling food and firewood- for the apocalypse that is almost certainly not coming anytime soon. :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha. Fortunately, Maine has an abundance of fresh, clean water. And low population density. While you're out stalking Walmarts for tp with the other zombies, I'll be stockpiling food and firewood- for the apocalypse that is almost certainly not coming anytime soon. :)
If you want to see water, Ask someone to show you a map of Michigan. You forgot to mention you can also use the ring in your bathtub to feed your poop powered generator. Congratulations! I never came across someone so proud of not using toilet paper before :ROFLMAO:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I work with people who use a GPS to get to work daily (and I'm certain that they don't relocate to a different residence each night).

Most people can't even pick their nose these days without first watching a Youtube video on how to do it.
While I can't honestly disagree with this (as my father used to say, "over 50% of the people in the world are below average"), I will say I do use the GPS in my phone every morning on the commute. Not because I don't know how to get there, but because (being it's Google Maps) it gives me some visibility of traffic congestion before I get snarled in it. Evenings, I don't bother unless I get snagged in overnight construction or accident traffic, then I'll sometimes start it up to see how far ahead of me it goes and whether reroutes (if any) are worth the bother...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I like Oilhammer's posts ............. We too live on 150 acres mostly wooded and joins the D Boone National Forest on both sides of the valley with two streams running thru as well as two half acre ponds! Also, family and extended family properties join and are in the same valley (goes back many generations). My wife and have grown a vegetable garden for 47 summers and canned lots of stuff each year. We declared this to be our last year! Of course, next spring the wife will tell me to get that ol' Ford tractor started and prepare the garden for planting (1952 8N with the flat head).

Considering our rural location, I invested in a small 5000 watt Coleman generator years ago. We've gone as much as two weeks without electric due to power lines being attacked by falling trees, ice, etc. And, ironically, early yesterday afternoon, a tree took out the power line in a "hard to get to" location which took the utility almost 6 hours to make the repairs. The cable was off almost 18 hours.............. no TV, Internet or Phone! But, a Generator wouldn't help with those items.

About 6 years ago, converted my Generator to Natural Gas.............. it was not designed for Natural Gas! Thus, the valve stems and guides were trashed in short order. So, I rebuilt the engine and while I was at it, I added electric start..... I'm too old to be pulling on a rope attached to a 10HP engine. We do have a non-commercial Natural Gas well.

We use the Generator sparingly to supply current to the fridge and freezer about every 4 to 6 hours. We installed efficient light in our house years ago and it has high efficient AC and Heating systems.

Two of my neighbors have rather large generators. One is a propane powered unit and the other is Natural Gas. They are both set-up to kick-on about 30 seconds after the power goes down.

OP, you should scale back your plans.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the smaller nat. gas/propane generators. They seem to make much less racket than the equivalent gasoline units.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Very fun thread to read lol.

To add to this conversation for the heck of it (not pointing at anyone, but in general). Most people think they could live off the land (tp or not😄)until they learn they dont know how to get all their nutrients from the things around them. They would eventually develop deficiency's
very basic, but for instance. Where do you get vitamin C? Most people get it from citrus fruits. Where would you get it if you don't live in an area with citrus fruits?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are many, many sources of vitamin C besides citrus fruits. Like peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, all berries, even fir needles are loaded with the stuff. Many native americans subsisted mostly on a diet of the "three sisters": corn, squash, and beans- a diet complete in all the necessary nutrients.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Vitamin C,... lambs quarters are pretty high or rose hips.

I'd also like a VW diesel generator,..
with a couple of the TDI, EGR, exhaust to coolant heat exchangers stuck in the exhaust.
To salvage heat for the exhaust.
I heat/cook with wood, have a garden, do some canning.
Made a peddle powered generator from a tred mill motor and exercise bike for small loads like TV/ radio or short surge power like a blender.
Kinda set up to run off 12 volt if I had to,.. and have collected about 200 watts of 12 volt solar panels.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
There are many, many sources of vitamin C besides citrus fruits. Like peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, all berries, even fir needles are loaded with the stuff. Many native americans subsisted mostly on a diet of the "three sisters": corn, squash, and beans- a diet complete in all the necessary nutrients.
Fir needles are very high.

Very good you all lol. Suppose that was kinda dumb question.
Fatmobile. Ive never heard that lambs quarter was. Good to know

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
As fun idea. End of times whatever, whatever. What if we were to turn our cars into the generator?
Couldn't one Lift the front end up into the air block one tire from turning (or something), and take the other off. Maybe make a bolt on for the studs, and power a generator off that?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
An important issue with electric generation: when wanting to provide power for household items, the voltage MUST be at a very specific phase and level. This is done by the grid by providing a stable current on the high power lines, and in turn is run through transformers and stepped down to the consumer level, the last stop being a transformer typically for each home or perhaps a chunk of homes. These are usually a gray cylinder mounted on a pole, sometimes they are on the ground inside a green or brown or gray box. In any event, steps are taken to insure that the outlets in your home have a nice, clean, steady single phase 120VAC.

In order for a generator to do that, the armature MUST spin at a very specific RPM. And this RPM has to be maintained when load changes. So a portable or semi-portable generator is NOT just an engine bolted to an electric winding inside magnets... it is a system that makes the above things happen.

Tractors already have an RPM governing system in place, even old ones (although those are more prone to fluctuations when the load changes). But modern electronic controlled diesel tractors have no problem keeping the PTO's RPM dead on at whatever RPM you set them to. So the tractor engine itself takes the duty of much of the genset's needs.

Our TDIs' engines have this ability in the ECU, of course, and the VAG gensets' ECUs do that as well. But the only way to do this with a car ECU (if a tuner couldn't do it) would be to use the cruise control, which would involve the rest of the car.

So I suppose if you had a giant covered place to put it, you could construct a big roller setup like a drive on dyno, have the generator driven off the rollers, with a fairly heavy flywheel to help cushion load changes, and figure out what the RPM need would be at a given roller speed, and have the car up on the rollers in a higher gear with the cruise set so that the engine RPM was in the meat of the power curve. Which is as a rule of thumb somewhere between peak torque RPM and peak horsepower RPM, although with the TDI it would obviously favor the peak torque.... I'd guess around 2200-2400 RPM. Figure out your roller gearing to spin the generator at probably 1800 RPM. Maybe have a fan rigged up in front of the car to mimic some airflow as seen on the road, probably open the hood, too. The car could run along like that until it needed a PM service theoretically, and you could easily add fuel as it was doing its job... may want to shut it down every few thousand miles to at least check the oil, though.

Still an awful lot of work and still terribly inefficient and overkill. But, a 90hp genset could probably power a small apartment building! :D

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
An important issue with electric generation: when wanting to provide power for household items, the voltage MUST be at a very specific phase and level. This is done by the grid by providing a stable current on the high power lines, and in turn is run through transformers and stepped down to the consumer level, the last stop being a transformer typically for each home or perhaps a chunk of homes. These are usually a gray cylinder mounted on a pole, sometimes they are on the ground inside a green or brown or gray box. In any event, steps are taken to insure that the outlets in your home have a nice, clean, steady single phase 120VAC.

In order for a generator to do that, the armature MUST spin at a very specific RPM. And this RPM has to be maintained when load changes. So a portable or semi-portable generator is NOT just an engine bolted to an electric winding inside magnets... it is a system that makes the above things happen.

Tractors already have an RPM governing system in place, even old ones (although those are more prone to fluctuations when the load changes). But modern electronic controlled diesel tractors have no problem keeping the PTO's RPM dead on at whatever RPM you set them to. So the tractor engine itself takes the duty of much of the genset's needs.

Our TDIs' engines have this ability in the ECU, of course, and the VAG gensets' ECUs do that as well. But the only way to do this with a car ECU (if a tuner couldn't do it) would be to use the cruise control, which would involve the rest of the car.

So I suppose if you had a giant covered place to put it, you could construct a big roller setup like a drive on dyno, have the generator driven off the rollers, with a fairly heavy flywheel to help cushion load changes, and figure out what the RPM need would be at a given roller speed, and have the car up on the rollers in a higher gear with the cruise set so that the engine RPM was in the meat of the power curve. Which is as a rule of thumb somewhere between peak torque RPM and peak horsepower RPM, although with the TDI it would obviously favor the peak torque.... I'd guess around 2200-2400 RPM. Figure out your roller gearing to spin the generator at probably 1800 RPM. Maybe have a fan rigged up in front of the car to mimic some airflow as seen on the road, probably open the hood, too. The car could run along like that until it needed a PM service theoretically, and you could easily add fuel as it was doing its job... may want to shut it down every few thousand miles to at least check the oil, though.

Still an awful lot of work and still terribly inefficient and overkill. But, a 90hp genset could probably power a small apartment building! :D
Ok, very interesting i honestly hadn't thought about load changes. I know it would need to be passed through a transformer or regulator of some sort, but would be interesting all the same.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If I truly needed a generator for an EOTWAWKI event, I definitely wouldn't be going after one of those disposable ones sold at the big box stores. plus without any means of long term fuel storage that idea would be short lived anyways. If I didn't get rounded up into a FEMA camp and I survived the wave of chaos and was looking for a long tem solution I'd hunt me down one of the old hit and miss engines. A large single cylinder with a massive flywheel. run a belt to an induction motor, bank of alternators or a traditional generator to make the needed power.

while most everyone is looking for gasoline that hasn't gone stale I'd be harvesting all the oil out of the millions of abandoned cars that could burn in one of these old hit and miss engines
To my knowledge (for what that is worth) the old hit/miss engines ran that way to govern their speed (typically 500-600 rpm?) but most ran on gasoline whether it was some low grade farm fuel or mix of gas/diesel but I am not aware of any that ran on engine oil for fuel. Even if they had used such, back then "engine oil" was a simple non-detergent petroleum lube.
My father-in-law had quite a collection (?) of old engines and JD tractors, even a few Field Marshall tractors. Large single cylinder Diesel engine with no electrical system. You either hand cranked them (not really possible) belt started them using another power source or used the get it to TDC and insert a blank 12 gauge shot shell into the head and bang the firing pin with a hammer. Stand clear...
Also steam engines, which would be the power choice in a long term situation with no convention fuels available. You aren't going to store enough to last your remaining life years. You can burn almost anything in a steam engine.
Convert as much/all household needs to 12v and/or non-electric.
Think long term camping, even if you get to stay in your house...

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
As fun idea. End of times whatever, whatever. What if we were to turn our cars into the generator?
Couldn't one Lift the front end up into the air block one tire from turning (or something), and take the other off. Maybe make a bolt on for the studs, and power a generator off that?
Hi

Interesting thought .... how about maybe taking a dyno and somehow converting / modifying that to generate power? I think that way you wouldn't have to worry about jacking up the car and hooking things to it.

I know farm tractors have PTO generators that can generate power... i think they have to run at 1500 RPMs... so I guess you can't just go running wide open .... you'd have to use the tach and set cruise control I guess.

On the other hand I think I used dynos would be fairly expensive but at least the components would be there where a car could be mounted to it and spin a drum that could in turn spin a generator.

I like the idea of using what you have as part of a power generation system.

Andrew

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Hi

Interesting thought .... how about maybe taking a dyno and somehow converting / modifying that to generate power? I think that way you wouldn't have to worry about jacking up the car and hooking things to it.

I know farm tractors have PTO generators that can generate power... i think they have to run at 1500 RPMs... so I guess you can't just go running wide open .... you'd have to use the tach and set cruise control I guess.

On the other hand I think I used dynos would be fairly expensive but at least the components would be there where a car could be mounted to it and spend a drum that could in turn spin a generator.

I like the idea of using what you have as part of a power generation system.

Andrew
Get realistic. Running the car as a generator would be using fuel that would not be readily available. At least not for very long....

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rose hips and wintergreen

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nomadic marauding requires no generator

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
To my knowledge (for what that is worth) the old hit/miss engines ran that way to govern their speed (typically 500-600 rpm?) but most ran on gasoline whether it was some low grade farm fuel or mix of gas/diesel but I am not aware of any that ran on engine oil for fuel. Even if they had used such, back then "engine oil" was a simple non-detergent petroleum lube.
My father-in-law had quite a collection (?) of old engines and JD tractors, even a few Field Marshall tractors. Large single cylinder Diesel engine with no electrical system. You either hand cranked them (not really possible) belt started them using another power source or used the get it to TDC and insert a blank 12 gauge shot shell into the head and bang the firing pin with a hammer. Stand clear...
Also steam engines, which would be the power choice in a long term situation with no convention fuels available. You aren't going to store enough to last your remaining life years. You can burn almost anything in a steam engine.
Convert as much/all household needs to 12v and/or non-electric.
Think long term camping, even if you get to stay in your house...
you are right that most, especially the smaller ones of a few HP are gasoline powered. some of the larger ones can be made to run on diesel or oil. often times they started them one gasoline then when warmed up switched over to another fuel source such as kerosene or heating oil, etc. finding the right one would be difficult but would imagine that they would be quickly abandoned in farms, museums or people's backyard. I am excepting that many will be in disrepair or will need some modifications to reliably work on multiple fuel sources.

if I ever got my hands on one suitable, I'd like to build it up with a common rail injector, CP3 and some basic electrical controls to run it all. I think that would be awesome

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll let you guys work out all the details for life after the Apocalypse.

As for me, I think I'll just hook up with the two pretty young Amish girls and find religion.

Good man. Individuals with our towering intellect will be vital to the repopulation efforts. :LOL: