Cracked DPF

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
How bad is it if you drive your car with a cracked DPF? I haven’t noticed any difference in power or fuel economy. I’m now getting EGR codes.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
One guy told me he would just clean his egr filter pipe every 2000 miles to solve those codes. He got tired of the hassle and bought a new dpf. I cleaned a filter pipe last week & can verify those codes are gone for now, but now on the freeway it's throwing a 000665 and going limp-mode & flashing glow plug light. To my surprise, you can clear the codes while running and it stops limping. I thought for sure you'd have to key-off and restart (which works too, without clearing codes).

I don't think keeping a cracked dpf is a long term solution.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
One guy told me he would just clean his egr filter pipe every 2000 miles to solve those codes. He got tired of the hassle and bought a new dpf. I cleaned a filter pipe last week & can verify those codes are gone for now, but now on the freeway it's throwing a 000665 and going limp-mode & flashing glow plug light. To my surprise, you can clear the codes while running and it stops limping. I thought for sure you'd have to key-off and restart (which works too, without clearing codes).

I don't think keeping a cracked dpf is a long term solution.
I plan on getting it fixed soon in the next month or so. Ordering the DPF won’t be hard but the $700 core charge is an issue.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Eventually it takes out the deNOx catalyst, too, as that was never intended to have soot belching through it either. Just did my second one of those so far this year.

Both cars had bad DPFs, the owner was informed about it, and a few months later when they came back for a new one, they also found out they required an extra $1500 part.

I'm also finding recently in a lot of cases, these cars need thermostats. Because once the new deNOx catalyst is in, they won't ever regen to set readiness because the coolant temp won't get over the 87C threshold to allow it. And they'll never set a P0128 "coolant below regulating temp" either. What makes it worse is, normal operation during regens is the fans come on... this is to help move air through the engine compartment. But if your thermostat is stuck open, it exacerbates the problem and makes it even harder for the engine to achieve let alone maintain proper operating temps.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Eventually it takes out the deNOx catalyst, too, as that was never intended to have soot belching through it either. Just did my second one of those so far this year.

Both cars had bad DPFs, the owner was informed about it, and a few months later when they came back for a new one, they also found out they required an extra $1500 part.

I'm also finding recently in a lot of cases, these cars need thermostats. Because once the new deNOx catalyst is in, they won't ever regen to set readiness because the coolant temp won't get over the 87C threshold to allow it. And they'll never set a P0128 "coolant below regulating temp" either. What makes it worse is, normal operation during regens is the fans come on... this is to help move air through the engine compartment. But if your thermostat is stuck open, it exacerbates the problem and makes it even harder for the engine to achieve let alone maintain proper operating temps.
I plan on getting it fixed as soon I can. I don’t know how long it’s been cracked.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Well I will get the parts Friday and I found a shop who has replaced these before. It will cost around $2,300 total. I still hate spending that much.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Agreed. A good tune wont give you smoke. Usually only would happen if the engine is cold and you WOT, but like said above, its not a big black cloud. Just some smoke. WOT on a warm engine will RARELY give you any smoke.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta

My first check engine came on around 1800 miles ago. It stayed off awhile after I reset it. It would also regenerate still. So I haven’t driven much. I hope nothing else is wrong.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm also finding recently in a lot of cases, these cars need thermostats. Because once the new deNOx catalyst is in, they won't ever regen to set readiness because the coolant temp won't get over the 87C threshold to allow it.
Can you explain this a little more fully? I recently did a DPF delete and noticed on my test drive that the car couldn't get to 90°C even on the cluster's temp gauge. Even though it was just a little above freezing here, driving it for 20minutes fairly hard....I expected the needle to get to 90°C.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Can you explain this a little more fully? I recently did a DPF delete and noticed on my test drive that the car couldn't get to 90°C even on the cluster's temp gauge. Even though it was just a little above freezing here, driving it for 20minutes fairly hard....I expected the needle to get to 90°C.
Ran into the same issue after a delete. Thermostat was faulty. It was staying open to where I couldnt get above 70C after an hour of driving. Changed it and now it reaches 87-90C everytime!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That thermostat looks absolutely buried! How much of a job is it to get at it to replace?

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Ran into the same issue after a delete. Thermostat was faulty. It was staying open to where I couldnt get above 70C after an hour of driving. Changed it and now it reaches 87-90C everytime!
Funny the BRM we have has a EGR delete and won’t get past 80C on the highway. It is -30 here today though.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Funny the BRM we have has a EGR delete and won’t get past 80C on the highway. It is -30 here today though.
Im guessing youre out west ? And that could be a factor as well but I feel like it should reach a little higher than that. Whats it like when its around 0C?

That thermostat looks absolutely buried! How much of a job is it to get at it to replace?
Eh, its not that bad. I didnt put it in service position. I just removed the ASV and move the alternator towards the front of the car a little bit for extra room. Took my time removing it so I didnt break the plastic pipe and kept the Oil filter housing in place.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I can drive my EGR-less ALH "indefinitely" in sub-20F weather, and the thermostat will never, ever, need to open. Ever. There just isn't enough waste heat generated to require the additional cooling of the radiator. The coolant going through the heater core, and subsequently keeping the cabin comfortably warm, is enough to keep the engine temp just below the threshold of the thermostat's opening point. I do run a hotter (about 3C more IIRC, been a few years) thermostat, to help offset the loss of heat transfer from the missing EGR. But even after several hours of driving, you can open the hood and feeling the radiator lower hose is still cool.

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
It gets a little warmer. It says 80-81C when I'm humming down the highway. I didn't actully look at it with my blue driver when it was warmer. Yes out west lol car said it was -42 this moring at one point. And my ALH gets warmer faster than the BRM and is EGR deleted as well ( it's tuned out thanks to burpod). I would like to drive the ALH but I can't plug it in at school so we take my wifes car as she can plug it in at work.[/QUOTE]

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hard to say, I would think you would have leave it cracked for a very long time but after awhile I think it would start choking the exhaust as it builds up with soot. I've seen some Turbo underboost faults due to a very bad plugged up DPF.

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
I’m getting it fixed it’s not cheap so that’s why I asked. It’s hard to find indy shops the will work on these cars.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Usually the top ones come out pretty easy. The bottom one usually gives a fight but comes out if you give it a kiss of heat. The Pressure sensor line may cause an issue as they can come loose but strip the threads.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As much as I detest "the blue app", see if you have a TDI Facebook group in your area - someone on there will have a suggestion, I'm sure.