Cost to clean a DPF in a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI by a mechanic?

Shar

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
Is it best to just replace it? If I replace it, what are the chances that I could have the same problem and after how many miles? This one came at about 100K. Thanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Generally not cleanable. The filter substrate is ceramic and delicate. It usually breaks or cracks and is not practically useable anymore. These are not really made to be cleaned just replaced.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Is it best to just replace it? If I replace it, what are the chances that I could have the same problem and after how many miles? This one came at about 100K. Thanks.
If you can say more about the "problem," members might be able to provide better info. While "cleaning" a DPF isn't really something that typically happens, 100k is a bit early for the DPF to be full (and it's just as likely that you are getting bad advice from a mech). Is it one of our trusted mechs in MA? If not, there may be a different issue which needs to be addressed. Also, the emissions warranty is different (and longer) than the other warranties, so you should know that paperwork and what it covers.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
Dpf are cleaned and refurbished everyday on rigs and heavy equipment, it's not something most shops would do in-house.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Oh geez....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It doesn't apply.

1: CJAA DPFs don't clog up.

2: CJAA DPFs have an integral DOC catalyst at the top

3: they are tiny and full of bends that do not make for easy pass-through cleaning

4: CJAA DPFs crack.... that's their failure mode.

Read my link above....

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
oilhammer is true I get calls every day on the DPF I tell them on the phone go to the back of the car stick your finger in the tail pipe rub it around if it comes out black that the finger of death!!!!!!$$$$$$$$

gmann49ers

TDI
2013 Jetta
Listen to Oilhammer. Your DPF is cracked and can’t be cleaned. I know I’ve sent you info on your other post. Such as the parts list you need. Look to spend 2-3k on getting your car fixed. I just had mine replaced for a round $2,200 and my car only had 70k on it before it broke.

Shar

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
oilhammer is true I get calls every day on the DPF I tell them on the phone go to the back of the car stick your finger in the tail pipe rub it around if it comes out black that the finger of death!!!!!!$$$$$$$$
Wish I had known this before I took it to a guy who ripped me off at $350 to clean it and without success.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Even if you put new parts in, there is an adaptation that must be performed, so that the car calibrates again to a new DPF.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
You are referring to a truck?
Care trucks doesn't matter, a dpf is just a glorified filter. Doc are slip/pass through. Sent them off for cleaning from 1.5l industrial diesel engines to much, much larger engines. The only issues, is if they are broken, they are broken.