Can't pass smog.. tired of dealing with egr/dfp issues

okdistribute

TDI
2011 Golf
I'm in the Bay Area, and the car won't pass smog. I ran VCDS and tried everything short of doing the EGR/DFP delete. Everyone I've talked to says it's going to be thousands of dollars to repair, and it's not worth it.

One friend (who lent me the VCDS cable) recommended I come here because perhaps an enthusiast would want it, fix it up, or drive it in another state.

Thoughts? Am I in the right place?

Lost in TDI world,
RJ

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Unfortunately we are stuck wirh Gov Nuisance and her/he/its anti diesel nonsense. Many Ca.subjects have keep these cars perfectly clean running with a quality NON delete tune.. Much better than the filthy. engine killing dieselgate retune. Do you think thats not by design? A Kerma non delete historically has worked for many a bi annual smug here in the land of fruits and nuts.

What year/model do you have? Does it have any issues or CEL presently? How many miles on the car? Miles on the DPF? What failed the test?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, without really knowing specifically what is wrong with your car, can't say.... the CJAA is certainly fixable in the legal sense, but it can cost some money. I do DPFs almost weekly on them.

okdistribute

TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks, everyone! If there's hope to restore it and sell it that would be interesting to me.

It's a 2011 Golf automatic.

Codes:

oilhammer

TDI
Here:

CBEA/CJAA DPF info | TDIClub Forums

We usually use the OBD2 nomenclature for DTCs, as that has become the standard and often is easier to follow.

Best guess here is you need a DPF (surprise, surprise, ...not), the low pressure EGR filter tube is clogged, and you might possibly also have a bad or failing deNOx catalyst OR the regen criteria is not right (bad thermostat is the most common, and perhaps the exhaust flap motor).

oilhammer

TDI
Once you get it properly diagnosed, then take the price of the parts and add it to the labor cost... I can only tell you what the VW list price is, and what our hourly labor cost is ($169/hr). I'm sure EVERYTHING in your area is VASTLY more expensive than it is here.

It is not going to be cheap no matter what.

The current CJAA DPF job I'm doing now (pretty much always doing at least one) is also getting a new intake manifold and throttle control flap, and out the door it is just over $4200.

okdistribute

TDI
2011 Golf
Thank you so much that's really validating. We're going to try to sell it then, because we do a lot of inner-city driving these days so this isn't going to be the car for us anymore.