Blown engine after TDIclub member TB change

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There may be another possibility of what happed. Is it possible that the cam gear may have spun loose (or just partially loose) just as #2 piston was coming up? This would account for the broken valves only in that cylinder. Any thoughts?

Steve
I already asked the installer that. His response was that the bolt was checked and found to be tight. This was not the cause.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
MIA,

Don't throw away the injectors. Chances are we can still probably save the one from #2 cylinder. Cheap, too, even for nothing, drop me a note.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. Better, stronger, faster than he was before."

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i'm seriously puzzled now.

sounds more like a failure from something other than mis-timing. Look at the pictures. #3 and #1 look fine!

As for the fund . . . its a good idea - but it is something else to add to fred's items and long list of things to manage alone to keep this place going.

MOGolf would be my vote if a "fund" like that were to be put together.

And maybe not put together by members but funded out of people that have TDIclub members help them with the timing belt change. Some members don't ask for any money doing a Timing belt change, others don't refuse it, others set a fee. I wouldn't think anyone would object to $10 or $20 for each timing belt change go towards a fund, but these occurances are rare, and the fund on one hand may provide somepeople the false confidence to start doing lots of them for people.

If this was a problem with the timing belt change, the cause needs to be identified for the general education of the forum, and for those others doing the timing belt changes. If we can pin point excatly what the problem was, wonderful. I don't think it would serve anyone's purpose to know who the changer was, or even to speculate who it was. Lets leave that completely anonymous.

One idea that is coming out as I'm writing:
What about FOD in the valve cover? What might maybe a sand grain? or metal object? do? Maybe something got under the valve cover and as the engine was running got pulled down into the follower sleeve? Causing the valve to stick open, and progressively further down into the cylinder - getting knocked back up by the piston? Progressive damage might have easily occured leading to a failure.

Anyone who definatively says timing now is not quite on target. IMHO

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
#1 and #3 look like the exhaust valves hit the pistons. If the timing slips, then the cam is advanced too far, which would cause the piston to push (make contact) the valve shut on the exhaust stroke. The intake will try to open earlier, but the piston is probably on its way down being chased by the valve and not gets hit. I’ve seen my fair share of engines “swallow” a valve and usually it ends up being one cylinder. Usually the engine quits or is shut down before any of the other valves get to fail like DBW indicated.

Tip:
When changing a TB on a gasser, if you take the spark plugs out, it makes it easier to turn the engine over by hand. On a TDI, you end up turning the engine over and have the resistance of each piston on the compression stroke. If the timing is off (let’s say too far advanced) a valve touching the piston (i.e. the exhaust valve on the exhaust stroke) and compressing the lifter slightly, might be masked by the compression stroke of another cylinder. For example: If the engine is on the compression stroke of #1, then #3 is on the intake stroke, #4 is on the exhaust stroke and #2 on the power stroke. While the resistance (compression) of #1 is felt there could be the added resistance of #4 touching the valve (and compressing the lifter) and since it’s an automatic, the resistance of the transmission could add to the situation (only slightly).

I’ve have had this on a gas engine. I changed the water pump and timing belt on a 944S2. Upon adjusting the cam timing I noticed that the engine turned over by hand, harder than normal (I only made it to the first compression stroke and stopped). I took out the spark plugs and then tried it again. I felt the clunk inside. What happened: There are three bolts and then a center bolt that hold the cam sprocket in place. I had loosened the center bolt as to make it easier to adjust the cam timing. The three other bolts are in slotted holes and they weren’t tight enough, so the sprocket slipped (advanced). Once I moved it back into place, everything was OK. On that car (just like on other Porsches) you use dial indicators to adjust the cam timing. No damage was done since it was only done during the adjustment phase. If I hadn’t done this many times before, I could have turned it right through and bent a valve (a 4 valve motor and the valves have tiny stems).

This was just doing a little thinking.

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
First off let me just say I'm new around here, and I'm glad this site exists, and that there are a lot of people out there willing to help. Not enough of this sort of thing going around these days, it is refreshing to see.

That being said, things like this are exactly why I do things myself, and I rarely work on other peoples vehicles. I like keeping friends, and something like this just isn't very conducive to keeping them.

If I don't have a tool I need, I borrow it. If I need the shop manual, I buy it, so on, and so on.

FWIW, I'd recommend all the nice people that are helping others do TB changes get the car owner seriously involved, in that the owner is doing the majority of the work. You can explain what's what, where things are, why you're doing something "X" way, etc - But the owner of the vehicle needs to be ab active participant in the swap, plain and simple (at least in my eyes). [note, I'm not saying that didn't happen here, frankly I don't if it did or not].

Now I'm off to check the TB interval on my cummins.. Has 62k on it, and I hadn't even thought about the TB until this thread came about. Hopefully its at 100k

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Buzz,
Not everyone is as competent as you seem to beleive. I'm not saying they are not capable just tha they lack the confidence and general knowlege to do certain things.
that is probably the main reason why other members are willing to step in and help out.
the job needs to be done, it costs upwards of $700 to have it done professionally (which dosen't always seem to work out)
and if you cant just do it, then you need to find someone who can.
Ive had several folks over some were very capable mechanics, and some barely even knew which way to turn a wrench to loosen a bolt.
If everyone on this board always said "just do it yourself buddy" then I don't think anyone would get any use out of it.
I rarely work on other peoples vehicles. I like keeping friends, and something like this just isn't very conducive to keeping them.
Sure, blowing someones motor isn't very conducive to friendship, but I've made 5 friends for my 5 belt changes.
you weigh the risk.
-rob

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
answers to Blown engine after TB change

#1 and #3 look like the exhaust valves hit the pistons. If the timing slips, then the cam is advanced too far, which would cause the piston to push (make contact) the valve shut on the exhaust stroke.
actually when the "timing slips" the cam gets retarded, thus the exhaust valve open while the piston comes to the top

initially if this engine timing was off enough to allow valves to hit the piston, it would have never have started. remember it needs compression to fire the fuel.

now this raises questions:
1: why is #2 exh valve bent so much that it broke and the others did not?
2: how did the valve marks get on the piston tops? they all should have been the same as the timing is the same for all cylinders.
3: how did the engine start and run?

My opinion:
If a foreign object got ingested, the diesel engine would start, makes noise and perhaps run a litle rough. This was the sequence as explained in the first post.

1: foreign object in cyl 2 gets between exh valve and piston, it pushes the valve up and smashes the lifter, damages the cam lobe. (first post) Eventually it gets on the edge of the exh valve, bends it enough to break it, now there is more debris in cylinder. By this time there is some smoke and skipping.

2: When the foreign object got between the exh valve and piston the cam was opening the exh valve. Very breifly it binded enough to cause the cam pulley to slip some what. Now the cam is late and the other exhaust valves hit the pistons, leaving lesser marks than cyl 2. engine losses power then stalls, never to restart.

3: by now you have the answer to #3

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Rononbeer:

I agree 100%. My only point was that people asking for help need to step up and understand what's going on, etc, etc.

Some people don't want to, they just want to get the job done for less $$$, and it is fun to meet people, and that's *ALL GOOD* - Don't get me wrong.

But personally, I think the TB changer, and the car owner, would be doing themselves favors if they were both active in the job.

Many people do have somewhat of a clue, but don't have tools/etc, and that makes the job a tad difficult

Anyway, I wasn't knocking anyone trying to help, or anyone getting help. Just pointing out that I think the owner and changer would be better served if the owner was an active participant in the job, that's all. Sometimes that happens, sometimes that won't.

Caveat Emptor is the final word.

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White
Speaking of FOD, what's the fuel injector for that cylinder look like? What if the tip failed/separated and became lodged between the valve and piston. I've seen tips fail before on other diesels and they can make a mess of things. Just a thought.

Denis

Uncle_Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon A4 Silver
Any Technical schools in the area? Any way of generating a Picture?

While in the USAF in the 60s I rebuilt an old 56 Chevy. Got lots of good help and ideas.

Schools are sometimes looking for Good projects. You have students who need to learn,
and instructors to teach, and make sure that things are done correctly.

A Picture on the other hand could tell a lot.

Taking the engine apart, if not done properly lots of data will be lost.

Mark piston #s, and Front of engine. same for connecting rods. If done carefully
the thing should go back together and run.

Remember that the fellows that help me wanted to turn the engine over by hand to
check clearences, etc. By George it ran. Made several trips from Dover AFB to
Schenctady NY. Then a brother took it off to Maine for several years.

Uncle Dave.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Buzz, You're Cummins won't need a timing belt for a long, long time. It doesn't have one.

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto
$25 coming your way via paypal.

GeWilli did mine at a GTG a few months ago and did a superb job. Anything could have happened, however. I did not give him anything for the work, but had plans to drop him a case of Heini at the next GTG -- forgot it a few weeks later at the neext meeting.

I owe you GeWilli and donate this cash in the interest of keeping the spirit alive. I would hate to see people with the talent stop helping out to avoid the risk and liability.

No, this ain't no kidney, but there are alot of people on this thread that can appreciate the assistance and would hope a few would help out if they were in the same boat.

Keep on...

BuzzMC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I figured that out shortly after I wrote that post... Thinking about things, I started to think I'd be shocked of that thing had a belt, instead of a chain. Probably a large double roller chain at that.

'tis a good thing, its probably a worse PITA than the TB for my TDI

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Buzz, That would be a helical cut set of gears, bro. Eternal.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Detroits are the same way. Gear-driven camshafts (and blower too.)

It IS possible to screw them up, but you have to really work at it.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
The 6.2L Detroit has a (sloppy)chain driven cam, and I assume thw 6.5L does as well.

troy_heagy

BANNED
LESSON LEARNED:

Only let QUALIFIED people work on your car... not some guy in his backyard. Sure, Volkswagen mechanics can make mistakes too, but at least its *their* mistake and you can drag them into court and dip into their billion-dollar pocket for damages.

When it comes to cars under warranty, I *always* go to the dealer. If you don't go to the dealer for service, it's 99.5% certain they'll deny warranty (reference: Toyota ignoring oil changes done at Jiffy Lube...and refusing to honor warranty).

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
Troy, that is absolute BS! I would much rather have a Fred's "backyard" mechanic working on my car than my dealer! I can't wait for my warranty to be over and you can sure as h*&% believe I'll be asking a local member to do my belt change. And I also hope he doesn't decide to quit doing them after reading posts like yours!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Toyota got sued as a class-action, and frankly, should have been sued under the RICO laws on that one.

Their attempt to duck warranty requirements is a CLEAR violation of Magnuson-Moss, for which they can be sued for treble damages plus fees and costs.

If they had tried that crap on me, they would have discovered exactly how quickly I'd be in the courthouse making their life absolutely MISERABLE.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
So does that mean I should pay my dealer $450 to install a new MAF because they are bonded and 'liable'? I don't think so...

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Thanks Mary, Couldn't said it better. At least I won't do troy's even after his warranty ends. I just had finish the TB change last Saturday as I mentioned earlier in this post. It went well and he was a happy guy. I agree with you on the warranty. I can't wait to get past 100,000 miles. I bought an extended warranty since the '99 I had was a lemon. I only used it once, for three parts that are not under the hood. Even if my water pump fails at 99,900 miles I still won't take it to them for powertrain warranty. I will do it myself.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
LESSON LEARNED:

Only let QUALIFIED people work on your car... not some guy in his backyard. Sure, Volkswagen mechanics can make mistakes too, but at least its *their* mistake and you can drag them into court and dip into their billion-dollar pocket for damages.

When it comes to cars under warranty, I *always* go to the dealer. If you don't go to the dealer for service, it's 99.5% certain they'll deny warranty (reference: Toyota ignoring oil changes done at Jiffy Lube...and refusing to honor warranty).
I always knew you were a bit odd, but seriously, ive never messed up a TDI. No other forum member I know of has wrecked an engine during maintence. Ive never even put a scratch in a members car in well over 100 timing belts, with at least 40 this year alone. I have literally been booked this entire year, saving people thousands of dollars, and getting the job done correctly every single time. I SERIOUSLY doubt ANY dealer in the entire USA can claim a success rate anywhere near mine, or the other Timing belt pro's on these forums like MOgolf, DBW, and Herm.

just because one member who obviously made a huge mistake, everybody who emails me now is extremely worried about this happening. luckily I can honestly say I have a 100% success rate. Its a simple job and usually the dealer is the one who messes it up, wrecking your entire car in the process.

But thats you troy, pay too much and get crappy service at the dealer. The rest of the forum users will use the services of the forum members and those who have changed hundreds of belts know that whoever made this mistake REALLY went wrong somewhere and its an isolated incident, yet the entire forum has showered MIA with support.

As long as folks like DBW, Herm, and Mogolf are around, TDI owners will save tons of $$ and get superior service while troy gets hosed at his trusty dealer.

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
"And so it goes." -- E. E. Cummings.

Pretty much says it all, don't ya think? When our Golf is limping along in middle age (100k), DeafBug will be getting that spring back in her step! The Timing Belts are a changing...

troy_heagy

BANNED
I would much rather have a Fred's "backyard" mechanic working on my car than my dealer! I can't wait for my warranty to be over and you can sure as h*&% believe I'll be asking a local member to do my belt change.
Hey Mary. Please learn to read: "When it comes to cars UNDER WARRANTY, I always go to the dealer." See where it says under warranty? After warranty you can do whatever the hell you want.

Also I said: "Volkswagen mechanics can make mistakes too, but at least its *their* mistake and you can drag them into court and dip into their billion-dollar pocket for damages." That point is 100% valid. Volkswagen can't deny warranty if its *their* mistake that the engine blew up. If MIA had the belt done at the dealer, he'd now have a brand-new engine instead of a ~$5000 repair bill.

Troy, that is absolute BS!
Now learn to control your anger. I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, but I'm not changing it. So please stop yelling at me.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I have changed several timing belts myself on many different cars(I do it right replace tensioners/waterpump)
and am going to be changing belt on 1997 Ford Ranger truck
next week(along with clutch)

That said- I am glad that I took VW TB job to
Tulley VW of Nashua - $550 for timing belt (I had waterpump changed at same time and fuel-filter)
Tulley VW treated me very nicely- explained everything and did a fine job IMO- wish I bought car there.

I would push my car past VW dealer where I got all my warranty service!!!

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Well said car54 and MaryP!

People, don't listen to troy!

One TB gone bad among hundreds and hundreds. Do you think the dealers take as much care to do the work?

Do you think no dealer will fight you if they install it incorrectly and you later have problems?

Think again !!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
The dealer can't void a warranty when something is done properly. Having Car54 doing the belt or anyone else, as long as it was done at the proper time with the proper parts and is documented it cannot be used as a reason to deny warranty claims.

This instance is one that is on the borderline. Was it the timing belt change? Was it FOD? Hard to say, but the dealer is caught without much recourse. Could have been timing belt - could have been something else. This though should not cause anyone any concern about having a TDIclub member help you with the timing belt. Most everyone knows what they are doing. Even the guys that do one or two a year or 100 a year, How many timing belts does the mechanic at the dealer do? How many different kinds of engines does he have to work on? I'd much prefer an amateur with a single focus on a specific engine to a 'general' mechanic even if they are VW specific, and how many dealers are JUST VW specific, not many of them.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
That said- I am glad that I took VW TB job to
Tulley VW of Nashua - $550 for timing belt (I had waterpump changed at same time and fuel-filter)
Tulley VW treated me very nicely- explained everything and did a fine job IMO- wish I bought car there.

I would push my car past VW dealer where I got all my warranty service!!!
Tulley has a good reputation!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.